• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

7 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Lol, i can't even find a 4 lb barbell. I've googled everything I can. For what it's worth, it's also only 60 inches. Anyway, the only thing less than 12 pounds is a kids bar for 5 pounds. I've no idea where the guy I bought this from got this. But, now that I understand all this, it will actually be cheaper to buy a 44 lb barbell than to buy more plates. So, when the time comes that I need more weight (which apparently will be sooner than later) I will invest in a standard barbell rather than more plates. 

"We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto."

is it.... is it a broomstick painted silver? :P 

• Haha 2

Always count the barbell :)

it’s rather fun to get a little glimpse into your journey of discovery :) you’ll love a ‘real’ barbell, it feels very badass. 
(though I’ll admit that I always use a lady bar which is 15kg soo ehh 33lbs) 

• Like 1

Most barbells are 45lb/20kg for powerlifting/weightlifting/crossfit etc. In women's olympic weightlifting a 15kg bar is used. These typically have the areas where the plates are slid on a thicker diameter than the part where you hold it. (~2" diameter for weight plates, ~1" for grip).  Many at home setups have the same smaller diameter across the whole bar and don't use "standard" size plates. I'd bet that's what you have? There's nothing wrong with that and it still gets the job done, just not what you would commonly see in a gym. 

And yes, count the bar weight. So for example on Friday I did 3x10 of 60kg deadlifts. Which was a 20kg bar, and 20kg on each side.

Nice! Yea most "standard" barbells look like this. If what you have is working for you though, don't fret too hard about what barbell you are using. Until you get to the point where your current barbell no longer is able to hold the weight you need, it shouldn't be an issue. The other case would be if you are interested in doing powerlifting, olympic weightlifting, etc you would likely want to invest in a more standard bar. 

Rogue-ZEUS-Build-A-Bar-Ohio-Bar-Custom.j

• Like 3

Hey, does anyone know enough about fast-twitch vs slow-twitch to explain why I huff and puff after walking up one flight of stairs but can sprint up and down the same set of stairs 5 times in a row before I really breathless?

On 7/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Hey, does anyone know enough about fast-twitch vs slow-twitch to explain why I huff and puff after walking up one flight of stairs but can sprint up and down the same set of stairs 5 times in a row before I really breathless?

Mysterious. Maybe it has to do with the muscles you're activating? Sprinting might enable you to use more glute power rather than calves and knees? Glutes are a big muscle that don't get tired super easily, I think. Really I have no idea, though.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

When you do your sprints, you body is told to breath ahead of time so you don't consume all the O2 in your blood stream.  When you go from just sitting at your desk, then walk up those stairs, your body didn't prepare the body with 02 in the blood stream and you quickly consume it causing your body to react with heavy breathing.  

Do this:  When you are going to walk up those stairs, take 4-5 deep breaths before you start and notice the difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1