• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

So the two on the end are there to take some of the weight so the lifter can push back up and re-rack the bar. The guy in the back is there to help the lifter keep his chest up and not collapse forward. It's a pretty safe setup for properly trained lifters. If you are going for a max attempt and fail it is usually not a catastrophic fail wear you just pancake into the ground. Because you have trained to handle the load and if those two on the ends take a bit off you can finish the lift.

I've been spotted this way at SSS with nerds and it worked out well.

But again it applies to people who know how to handle failure, and should not be used by novice trainees or random gym bros.  

All of this. Novices can do the bar end spotting. You need someone who knows what they're doing for the rear spotting though.

i have something similar to the NBs (i have merrell trail gloves). They are pretty good for lifting. Not squishy. 

Have you considered dedicated oly shoes or are you looking for something more versatile? 

i have something similar to the NBs (i have merrell trail gloves). They are pretty good for lifting. Not squishy. 

Have you considered dedicated oly shoes or are you looking for something more versatile? 

Yeah, I'm looking for something I can use for everything.  I've got a pair of Nike Romaleos that I like, but they're pretty limited as to what you can do in them.  

Yeah, I'm looking for something I can use for everything.  I've got a pair of Nike Romaleos that I like, but they're pretty limited as to what you can do in them.  

There isn't something you can use for everything if you're talking all athletics. Lifting shoes you need to have no cushion in, but running you need some cushion, even if you're not a heel striker. People will say the the barefoot running people are fine, but everytime I've tried it without some cushion, I've gotten injuries eventually. Our artifical hard surfaces just aren't something our bodies like to run on without some cushion.

Yeah, I'm looking for something I can use for everything. I've got a pair of Nike Romaleos that I like, but they're pretty limited as to what you can do in them.

Oh if you have romaleos then you are good for all lifts. Squats ohp dl. I do all of that in my romaleos :)

Get the NBs for other stuff or DLs. :)

Sent from a phonical device. Please excuse the shortness

I have a pair of those. I have never lifted in them because of the way they force you on your toes, but without the heel support. How do they work for you?

Equipment maintenance learn on:

Just bought a 20kg bar off of eBay, gone and picked it up, and the bushes are loose and crunchy,ends still spin and one moves in and out a few centimetres , anyone got any online resource they can direct me to? Otherwise i'll just pull it apart and pack it with brass and CV joint grease. 

Equipment maintenance learn on:

Just bought a 20kg bar off of eBay, gone and picked it up, and the bushes are loose and crunchy,ends still spin and one moves in and out a few centimetres , anyone got any online resource they can direct me to? Otherwise i'll just pull it apart and pack it with brass and CV joint grease. 

Regreasing your barbell

When's a good time to start considering other equipment like knee wraps? Wrist wraps? Ate they really necessary for heavy heavy loads?

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

When's a good time to start considering other equipment like knee wraps? Wrist wraps? Ate they really necessary for heavy heavy loads?

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

A lot is going to depend on your personal injury and body history.  

• Like 1

Usually people tend to think about wraps after they have a bodyweight bench, almost at a 1.5BW squat, and a2xBW deadlfit. But it really depends on your own preferences. You don't need wraps or knee sleeves at all. They just help. 

I don't use any wrap yet, but I'm considering getting wrist wraps as sometimes the bar rides high in my hand and bends my wrists backward, and these help with that.

I don't use any wrap yet, but I'm considering getting wrist wraps as sometimes the bar rides high in my hand and bends my wrists backward, and these help with that.

I've started using wrist wraps for that.  One bad set and my wrist will hurt for days.

Loving the feedback! thanks everyone!

I have minor issues with the knees. They feel fine during squats but feel icy when DOMS set in. Especially my right knee.. not sure if it's because of squatting or a running injury.

I can benefit from wrist wraps as well.

I want to be prepared for heavy weights so my knees won't explode. Kinda scary thinking about exploding knees.

@This is Seth: Thanks very much, I just wasn't sure 'bout that.

It's more important to keep track of how much the bar weighs if you're likely to use different sizes of bars -- I have a 6' standard (uses plates with a 1" hole) bar at home and the gym has the usual Olympic men's bar, which is 7' and uses plates with a 2" hole. The Olympic bar weighs about 45 pounds. Mine is more like 15. You can also sometimes find a women's Olympic bar at the gym which I think weights 35 pounds. So if I was just paying attention to how much weight the plates weighed at home and then went to the gym and tried to put my usual plates on the bar, I'd likely get flattened from the sudden 30 pound jump.

In terms of tracking your progress, it doesn't matter what the bar weighs, but in general you want to know what you're actually lifting, so yeah, count it. :)

It's more important to keep track of how much the bar weighs if you're likely to use different sizes of bars -- I have a 6' standard (uses plates with a 1" hole) bar at home and the gym has the usual Olympic men's bar, which is 7' and uses plates with a 2" hole. The Olympic bar weighs about 45 pounds. Mine is more like 15. You can also sometimes find a women's Olympic bar at the gym which I think weights 35 pounds. So if I was just paying attention to how much weight the plates weighed at home and then went to the gym and tried to put my usual plates on the bar, I'd likely get flattened from the sudden 30 pound jump.

In terms of tracking your progress, it doesn't matter what the bar weighs, but in general you want to know what you're actually lifting, so yeah, count it. :)

There's actually two different women's bars, I've learned. There's a 35# bar and a 15kg bar, which is 33#. Which is why Nightlight's math always looks weird.

There's actually two different women's bars, I've learned. There's a 35# bar and a 15kg bar, which is 33#. Which is why Nightlight's math always looks weird.

Technically there are two men's bars too. The US standard 45lbs bar and the international standard 20kg bar. :P 

Technically there are two men's bars too. The US standard 45lbs bar and the international standard 20kg bar. :tongue:

Are the rogue bars with the two stripes 20kg or 45lb?

He asks and then immediately goes to google...

-third edit-

They're 20kg. Way too lazy to go back and change all my numbers, but will start being an asshole at the gym about this now. 

• Like 1

They're 20kg. Way too lazy to go back and change all my numbers, but will start being an asshole at the gym about this now. 

I like seeing people freak out about their numbers and seeing things like 184lb squat and what have you. As if their $300 burner bar is even manufactured with high enough tolerances to know if it's actually 43 or 46 pounds, to say nothing of the twelve ten pound bumpers all with chunks taken out of them that they have loaded on their bar for their FB cover shoot push press.

Man I'm ranty this morning haha.

• Like 1