Lt_Laurel Reboots --> The Same Goals, Better Performance!

ShadowLion

My Motivation:

I resolve to not die with my dreams still inside me

For I can bring beauty, joy, and healing into the world through my art, music, and writing

My Epic Quest of Awesomeness

To Bring Out the Best That is Inside Me

To succeed in this

I must conquer my Fears and Bad Habits

I must be HEALTHY, FIT, FOCUSED, and PRODUCTIVE

I MUST BECOME UNSTOPPABLE

My Main Quest: BECOME AS UNSTOPPABLE as the heroine in my novel! She's a kickass fit ranger who doesn't take "No" or "You can't" for an answer, never gives up on her main objective, and always, always, always follows her heart. So, first things first. (She keeps her priorities straight, she does.) Over the next six challenges, I will get in the best shape of my life through healthy eating, lifting heavy things, moving around A LOT, and creating routines that support my quest.

My first three missions are very similar to my second challenge as they're still the best fit for my Main Quest. I have updated my Life Quest to reflect my relatively better performance in that part of the last challenge, plus some new developments.

1) Eat for health and performance
Continue to clean up my diet and maintain at least a 80/20 paleo-primal to Standard American Diet (SAD) split. I will maintain my compliance and momentum on this in the following ways:
a ) Increase the variety of meals that I eat by preparing one new recipe per week and planning my menus and shopping ahead for the week so as to maximize variety.
b ) Minimize failures (due to my taking the easy way out and eating bad foods when life gets in the way of my aspirations) by having some fast and easy snacks and meals prepared and ready to go at all times.
c ) Allow for a certain amount of social and emotional eating by building in some limited cheating, to be fully enjoyed without guilt or remorse.
d ) Keep a detailed food journal to ensure I'm meeting these sub-goals. Weigh weekly; take measurements at beginning, mid-point, and end; take photos at beginning and end. Aim to lose 6 pounds and 3% BF.

STR-1 STA-1 CON-2 CHA-1

2) Become a sleek, strong, and supple ranger with lots of stamina
a ) Do a daily mobility workout of at least 10 minutes a day, six days per week. New focus area - working on posture and back/neck flexibility and alignment.
b ) Strength training at least 2x per week using primarily body-weight exercises and modified cross-fit style workouts. More than that - BONUS POINTS! Each additional workout earns $5.00 towards videos and music. (Hmmm, or maybe a new wardrobe a few challenges hence?)
c ) Move! Walk, bike (stationary or otherwise - just move!), dance and/or do tai chi for a minimum of 30 minutes per session, at least 3 days per week. More than that - BONUS POINTS! Each additional 30 minutes earns $5.00 towards videos and music.

STR-2 DEX-2 STA-1

3) Build good, simple, and sustainable systems to support the above goals
a ) Participate actively in an accountabilibuddy team. Aim to contribute at least 7 posts per week. Limit thread following to a manageable number.
b ) Get enough recovery - a minimum of at least 4 hours uninterrupted sleep, and at least 6 hours sleep per night, plus naps as needed. Track this in journal, too.
c ) Learn from last challenge's "challenges" and create fallback plans and advance creative solutions for those days when I'm crazy busy, feel crummy mentally or physically, or "life happens" and causes my willpower to falter or my time to be limited. Whenever possible, do challenge activities early in the day and the week - front load - so as to have some reserve if I get crunched later on.
d ) Create spreadsheet/tracking system for this challenge's many goal components. Experiment with Kanban board, mindmapping, and app solutions the first two weeks of challenge, put system into place during third week, and maintain for the remainder.

STR-1 DEX-1 WIS-1

Level Up Life Goal(s)
Ah, yes, I am definitely a ranger, a jack of all trades. I've been a musician/teacher, artist, firefighter/EMT, multimedia software developer... despite all that I've been told all of my life about the value of specialization!

ART
a ) Complete my two portrait commissions by end of challenge. (Due date of Nov. 1, 2013)
b ) Update personal business card, logo, and web avatar
c ) Design and create guitar society logo
Bonus Points - Create portrait of one of my novel's characters. Post for NF enjoyment.

MUSIC
a ) Learn one new (or complete one "half-done but abandoned") song per instrument and have each memorized and performance-ready by end of challenge. The songs don't have to be long or terribly advanced repertoire, but they do have to engage my interest and be something that would be pleasing to an audience. Guitar, Harp, Violin, Piano, Voice (may double with one of the other instruments). Bonus points if a piece is an original composition.
b ) Review and revise lesson policies, mission statement, other business docs, in light of the new realities of being a traveling teacher and working with co-op studio.
c ) Progress, however small, on music method and associated game. Consider outsourcing game development.
Bonus Points - Record one or more of my new songs and post for NF enjoyment.

WRITING
a ) Finish outlining the series - Is it three novels, or four? Do I go with the one that is almost done first, or change the order?
b ) Get information on self-publishing and building an audience; keep working with my mentor.
c ) Most important of all - WRITE. Write a lot. Write at least 20 minutes a day, 6 days per week, even if crazy busy, tired, don't feel like it, blocked, yada, yada, yada. Then write some more. Write 30,000 words by the end of the challenge.
Bonus Points - Post an excerpt for NF enjoyment. Done 9/22

WIS-2 CHA-1

All of the above goals will be graded with the standard A, B, C, D, or F system using the usual percentages.

I feel good about all of my goals except the eating clean. I've been so bad the last few weeks, I'm not sure I can do it. This is where I get to choose to be like my hero, or not...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

That's a lot of goals! For this one:

b ) Minimize failures (due to my taking the easy way out and eating bad foods when life gets in the way of my aspirations) by having some fast and easy snacks and meals prepared and ready to go at all times.

My personal go-to back-up paleo meal is ground beef and frozen zucchini. Cook the ground beef and then add the zucchini (I defrost it in the microwave to speed things up) until it cooks. I salt-and-pepper it. The website I got it from, The Stone Soup, suggests some dried chili flakes and a splash of lemon juice, both of which are delightful, but it tastes good without them too.

For snacks, nuts and apples!

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer! 

Current: Starting Over

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

Probably too many, but if I can go at it the way I started out the last challenge, it'll be worth it!

Oooh, the zucchini sounds good, and definitely quick and easy. I use nuts and dried fruit or apples - good stuff for snacks. Thanks for the link!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Reading your profile you sound like the coolest person... an RPG for teaching music? That sounds lovely. Up until I graduated high school, my instrument (trombone) was my life. Sadly I haven't done much with it since Solo & Ensemble in college... but the love of music will always be there. I also am a fiction writer and I understand your terror of putting your stuff out there. My most recent thing is, I tried my hand at fantasy for the first time, so I have maybe 1/3 of a fantasy book written. Problem is my characters keep clashing in unexpected ways. I love when they take on a life of their own, but it's been frustrating trying to iron out their differences! I'm also attempting my first non-fiction book, about managing chronic depression, because I'm pretty good at managing depression.

Anywho, I'm glad to share a guild with you! We've got this!

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

Yeah - we are going to rock it!

In the game, the kids hatch and raise a baby dragon - a "singing dragon" of course - and their practice time determines how fast the dragon grows. (I'm a very devious teacher. Fun, though.) They learn to control its flight and actions using scales and patterns, plus "dragon calls" they compose themselves. Once they and their dragon graduate "flight training" they are eligible to go on missions and, later, a longer quest.... Kind of like us on Nerd Fitness, ha!

Unfortunately, trombone isn't one of those instruments that lends itself to playing solo, just to relax. Is there a community orchestra or band where you live? Those can be a lot of fun and keep your chops up.

Writing is so much fun and soooo frustrating! Good luck on your non-fiction writing - that's a topic I, and a lot of my family, can relate to. Someday doctors will understand how to treat depression, but we are still in the dark ages, though. I'm a big believer in using whatever works, traditional or not. Exercise works for me. Diet, too.

If you're looking for an accountabilibuddy group, I started one for creative types that might be of interest: Renaissance Rangers

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Yeah, a lot of goals, but it seems that you have experience on challenges, so I think you could manage them.

I am with the spreadsheet thing too. They are so cool, but also too hard to build if you do not have what you want to track and how to do it very clear - and I have not, have you? Good luck with this.

A lot of empathy with the food problems. If you have been doing bad lately, maybe you can look for the reason that makes you fail and work over this. My experience says that more you try to be strict more chances to fail, and less stress is equal to more weight lost. I do not why, but - for me - it has been right this in the past.

RPG music for teaching has shocked me too. It sounds very nice. Which levels do you teach? I do not know how is the musical system of learning in your country - here we have 2-3 years of 'music' at school and 14 years of 'true' music studies in conservatoires. (I use 'true' and 'music' because at school the only think that I learned - and I already knew that - was the scale of C Major and play the flute). Where do you teach if your system is similar to ours? (My English is a bit macaronic sometimes, sorry about that).

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

I started a spreadsheet last challenge and want to make it better this time. I think that may help with the food problems, too. My big weaknesses are getting too busy and then eating fast food while I'm out on the road teaching. Also, I live where it gets very hot and I used that as an excuse to start drinking sodas again in the last couple of weeks, which I had stopped doing for about four months. I've stopped now but need to keep my goals in mind so I don't get tempted and fail again.

I teach beginning through advanced, though most of my students are beginners under 12 years old. I teach a guitar class at a private school, but mostly ttravel to students homes to teach private lessons - mainly on guitar and violin, though I also have a few harp and piano students. i've played music for 45 years now, and taught for 35, with a few breaks here and there to do other jobs. I always come back to music, though. Do you still play flute?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Interesting... :)

You could take the food from home (prepared the night before) in order to not eating out. Have you got a room or some place to eat?

I currently play piano (flute is an obligatory instrument at primary school). This year I will do the exams to access to the superior conservatoire, but I learned guitar long time ago, too.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

I was taking food from home and it worked well, but then I got lazy and stopped. It's back in my goals this time. I'm on the road most afternoons and evenings, so my only place to eat is in my car between lessons. Not the best way to lose weight, but I was making it work during the first challenge and most of the second.

Piano - such a versatile instrument! Great for learning theory, composing, and it has a huge and wonderful repertoire. Guitar is sure a lot more portable, though! Good luck getting into the conservatory!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I feel like an idjit for not following you before!     You are a ranger after my own heart!   Little bit of this, little bit of that!    You sound like such a cool and amazing person.  Haha.  OK, NF-fansquee over ... hehe.    Love the goals.   Love the attitude behind them.   Rooting for you all the way.

And... OMG, I am so going to pester you all challenge for support in the music department.    When I was young, I was heart and soul sold on being a music major.   Bad experiences in college and this or that, led to me dropping /everything/ and losing all the musical awesomeness I had acquired in my youth.    I've decided to relearn the piano this challenge and I am ALREADY freaking out about my inability to sight read music like I used to.  It's so awful!  

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Hey, Starpuck! If you weren't up to your eyeballs in N7, I'd say come on over and join the Renaissance Rebels. We've got musicians, artists, crafters, writers...everyone's keeping their creative side alive while they go out and slay monsters, save the universe, and just generally be bad ass.

So sorry about the bad experiences - college music can really mess with a person. I found the stress, competitiveness, crazy hours, and insane amount of work more than many people can handle and still manage to keep their soul alive. It turns some students (and faculty, too) vicious and cruel and destroys the true music inside them. I left after two years, in large part because of that, and have still managed to make a career of it.

The good thing is, you saved yourself. That musical awesomeness didn't wither away or get killed, it just went dormant for awhile. (Adults actually tend to pick up stuff faster than the kids, because they've got so much other learning experience to hang new concepts onto.) And, the sight-reading will come back. Just take it in tiny chunks and be patient. It's still in the memory banks. Check out the series by Schott "Piano Sight-Reading," by John Kember. It has position outlines and bite-sized practice routines in a logical order, perfect for getting your chops back. You go, girl! Can't wait to hear you!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey, I could not stand the pressure of music studies when I was younger, so I understand you. But also I think the best decision of my life was continuing with them again 4 years later, so I encourage you to do whatever you feel you want to do.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Thanks guys.    :)   My issue came up in that I sort of failed to properly prepare for 'real college' so had to go to a community college.   I came from a high school that had a music program that went to state yearly and was very progressive and involved.    The community college was such a step back that I got all frustrated.   That and ... the only thing that keeps my 'regular studies' motivated, is a good music program, so I dropped out of college altogether at that point.    Before long, the piano and the trumpet fell to the wayside.    I still have the trumpet - but THAT is even scarier to attempt than piano.   Baby steps.   I do miss it.  And all the video game music, and sci-fi/fantasy music has really been instrumental (hah see what I did there) in getting me to take this leap again.

I will definitely be following and leaning on you guys.

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Thanks guys.    :)   My issue came up in that I sort of failed to properly prepare for 'real college' so had to go to a community college.   I came from a high school that had a music program that went to state yearly and was very progressive and involved.    The community college was such a step back that I got all frustrated.   That and ... the only thing that keeps my 'regular studies' motivated, is a good music program, so I dropped out of college altogether at that point.    Before long, the piano and the trumpet fell to the wayside.    I still have the trumpet - but THAT is even scarier to attempt than piano.   Baby steps.   I do miss it.  And all the video game music, and sci-fi/fantasy music has really been instrumental (hah see what I did there) in getting me to take this leap again.

I will definitely be following and leaning on you guys.

Ah, your experience sounds a lot different. It's hard to keep an instrument like trumpet going if you're not in a performance group. You've got a great background to restart from, though. We'll be rooting for ya'!

Instrumental - cute - pun much? I'll make note of that...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Rocked my first day! If I can make Mondays (which are light teaching days for me) pay off big-time towards my goals, it will give me a little insurance against slipping up later in the week.

1) Eat for health and performance - Logged food, ate 90% paleo, planned menus and grocery lists for the week, packed snacks and took measurements. Will post with photos as soon as I can get those. Starting weight - 198.5 pounds, which is right where I was at the end of the last challenge. My bad habits of the last few weeks haven't hurt me as much as I thought they might.

2) Become a sleek, strong, and supple ranger with lots of stamina - Front-loaded the week with my mobility workout, 30 minutes of MOVE! on the exercise bike, and a strength workout.

3) Build good, simple, and sustainable systems to support the above goals - Active accountabilibuddy, got six hours uninterrupted sleep, and worked out a calendar for the whole six weeks, mapping all goals with deadlines and fallback plans.

4) Level Up Life Goal - Chose my songs for this challenge and allocated practice time. Practiced piano for about 45 minutes/harp for 15 minutes/guitar for an hour/violin for one half-hour, prepped lessons for an hour, taught for about three hours, followed with two hours playing fingerstyle guitar and transcribing in a collaboration with a colleague to put my music with her lyrics. Wrote for 1.5 hours on fantasy series. Very low word count, though, (around 60) as I was doing a tagline writing exercise.

This little Renaissance Rebel Ranger is TIRED and ready for bed!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I love coming out of the gate strong!    Woot.   I wish there was a way to bottle up all that awesome Day 1 Motivation and sip from it through the whole 6 weeks yeah?  Heheh.  Keep it going strong!

I think I will be trying to do things the same way you are.   Monday-Wednesday are my days that aren't going to be filled with other commitments, so I need to really focus on getting 2-3 work outs in and 2 piano nights in by Wed. night.

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Congrats! Which songs have you chosen? Good beginning! :)

Nice start. Also interested in what songs :-p

Thanks, daggart and fiddle-on!

Songlist: Christmas tune prep time of year! Got a couple that I need to have down for my more advanced students that aren't already in the repertoire, the others are just ones I want to do.

Should nail the following this challenge. The hardest part for me is the memorizing, though:

Guitar - PJ's Blues. I start writing this one today for a student. That should be done by next Monday, then I'll learn it.

Harp - Carol of the Bells. Probably the easiest one of the bunch. Not satisfied with the arrangement, though, so may do my own version.

Fiddle - The Beeswing. A hornpipe, do at least two variations of my own.

Ukulele - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Straightforward arrangement from a book.

Hard tunes that will probably spill over into multiple challenges.

Piano - Sleigh Ride. Nice, jazzy arrangement with some killer chords. Big stretches. Success this challenge if halfway done by Oct 27.

Violin - Vivaldi Violin Concerto in Am. Stalled out on first movement over the summer, going to push to get the whole enchilada done by Jan. 1, Success if first movement 90% done this challenge and have other two movements fingered, roughed out, and progressing.

Voice - Bach/Gounod Ave Maria. Not sure if doing accompaniment on harp or piano yet. Success this challenge if halfway done by Oct 27.

I love coming out of the gate strong!    Woot.   I wish there was a way to bottle up all that awesome Day 1 Motivation and sip from it through the whole 6 weeks yeah?  Heheh.  Keep it going strong!

I think I will be trying to do things the same way you are.   Monday-Wednesday are my days that aren't going to be filled with other commitments, so I need to really focus on getting 2-3 work outs in and 2 piano nights in by Wed. night.

Mondays and Wednesdays are my best days, too. Thursdays and Fridays are pretty rough, Saturdays are where I'll be doing mopup on what I fall down on the rest of the week.

Finally read your profile and I'll repeat everyone else by saying that you're awesome :D

Also, you have even more goals than I do and I love that :D Good luck with everything, I'll be following your progress closely! 

Thanks, laurabzz. I'll be counting on you guys to help keep me going when week three rolls around and I'm ready to throw in the towel because I was so crazy optimistic as to what I could accomplish in 6 weeks!

Great start Lt!  Glad to see that Mondays will set you up well for the weeks ahead.   :)

Thanks, fluffyrin. Going for the big win this time after just barely dragging my butt across the finish line last time. Looking at my goals, though, I don't know that I learned anything from it. Other than to enlist a big, kick ass support group!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Thanks, laurabzz. I'll be counting on you guys to help keep me going when week three rolls around and I'm ready to throw in the towel because I was so crazy optimistic as to what I could accomplish in 6 weeks!

I hear you. I'll be counting on NF support as well :) Third week is the worst.

You've really set the tone for your challenge with a day-1 success. 

Bwuahahaha.   I see what you did there!

Set the tone ... heeeee!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines