Hello, I'm Victoria. And this is my first ever challenge thread.

You have probably assumed this from the title, but I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit/Tolkien fan. I am a part of many fandoms, but The Lord of the Rings will always hold a very special place in my heart that cannot ever be erased.

That being said, I must say that I am a hobbit through and through. I love gardening. I love reading my books. I love tea. I love rivers and trees and peace. I love good company and a cozy home. And perhaps most of all, I love food. Selecting it, cooking it, eating it, I love it all. The only downside is, I don't really love exercise. 

And therein lies my problem. My lifestyle has started to catch up with me, and I've gained a lot of weight over the years. I've tried so many different diets and eating plans, it's enough to make my head spin. I would get quick results, no maintainability, and I ended up in the same place that I started; and, sometimes I would end up gaining more weight than I had started with. I gave up for a little while, but eventually it got to a point that I said to myself, "This has got to stop." This is negatively affecting my health, my energy, my mood, and basically my entire life. Happiness is a choice, and I want to be happy with myself and my life. 

I heard about nerdfitness through a friend, and my immediate thought was, "Where has this been all my life?" I have read so many inspirational stories and positive messages, I was immediately eager to get started. Luckily, I joined at a good time since it's the beginning of a new challenge. 

So, without much further ado, I'm going to declare my quest to the world!

Main Quest

I want to lose some weight and implement healthy eating and exercise habits.

Goals

1. Try a variety of different exercises/fitness classes/dvds/whatever and find something that works for me.
  2. Cut out processed, fatty, and sugary foods/drinks from my daily diet and replace them with healthy whole foods.
  3. Take measures to decrease stress and increase energy and positive thinking.

Side Quests

1. Life Side Quest
    1. Make efforts to be neater and more organized in life (and in my apartment).
    2. Get accepted into Graduate School so that I can do good things for the earth.
  2. Fitness Side Quest
    1. Jog a mile without stopping to walk. (Train using the Walk to Mordor nerdfitness walk)

Here's my motivation note to myself:

post-21848-0-98507700-1379186355_thumb.j

Cheesy? Probably. But it works for me. :)

I'm really just starting out, so my goals are a little broad. But, I think Samwise said it best when he said, "It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.†

So, here I go! I look forward to beginning this journey with everyone. See you on the road!

Also, if anyone else is interested in forming a fellowship, definitely let me know! 

I love how you maintained your theme in your motivation.  That's great!  And good Samwise quote, as well.  He was always my favorite character.  I am also a big Tolkein fan (primarily of the books, which I considered required semi-annual reading before the films came out...and I had kids)

Your goals are headed in a great direction, but I think you need to make them more measurable so you know if you really accomplished them or not at the end of six weeks.  You might want to say things like, "________ days a week, I will try some form of fitness activity for ____ minutes".  Otherwise, you could try 3 different activities in week one and never workout again and technically have fulfilled Goal 1, but probably not have met your true goal of fitness.  See what I mean?  Another example: what will you do to reduce stress?  Meditation? Gardening?  Reading LOTR?  Yoga?  Deep breathing?  Extreme ironing?  Be as specific as possible.  If you need more ideas, let me know!

For the Shire!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Thank you for replying!

Those are really good tips, thanks! I'm really new at this, so I kind of took a shot in the dark. lol   Sam is my favorite of the fellowship too! He's one of my biggest inspirations in life.   

Yeah, I want to try to re-read the trilogy this Christmas. It's been awhile since I read them all back to back. Perhaps a future life quest? :)

Those are very good suggestions, I didn't think about it that way. How about this:

Goal 1: Try a variety of different exercises/fitness classes/dvds/whatever and find something that works for me. --(Exercising 4 days for 1 hour or more a week)

Goal 3: Take measures to decrease stress and increase energy and positive thinking. --(Trying: Zazen Meditation, stretch yoga, Gardening/spending more time in the sun, and exploring anything else I might find helpful along the way)

Thanks so much for your help! 

No problem!  Yes, the edits are much better.  What about the food goal?  Are you aiming for 100% junk-free or letting yourself some leeway?  If so, how much?

I think you're headed for a strong first challenge.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

No problem!  Yes, the edits are much better.  What about the food goal?  Are you aiming for 100% junk-free or letting yourself some leeway?  If so, how much?

I think you're headed for a strong first challenge.

For the food goal, I'm really just aiming for cutting out "conveinence" foods (i.e. easy mac, freezer meals, cokes, fast foods, etc). I want to be 100% junk free. I've been approaching vegetarianism, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to fully commit to that yet, because I still eat meat on occasion (like, once every one or two weeks). 

I added the "to my daily diet" clause to the goal because, I want to allow myself the rare special occasion treat. Like, fruitcake cookies at Christmas (they sound gross, but they are SO delicious, and it's kind of a tradition for me and my grandmother to make them during the holidays) or a cupcake on my birthday or pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. The once-in-a-year kind of occasions.

So... I'm not really sure how else I could reword that specifically without a list of approved holidays. lol  

How about this:

Cut out processed, fatty, and sugary foods/drinks from my daily diet and replace them with healthy whole foods. The overall goal is to be 99% junk free (with the exception of a rare holiday treat). 

I love LOTR as well! I'd be a good hobbit too, though I love eating more than cooking... I'm not that great a cook.

Keep us updated on the programs you use, I look forward to seeing what you end up liking the most!

Thanks for the support! :)

I'm glad that there's at least a few people out there who dig my LOTR theme.  I'll definitely let you know! If anyone has any suggestions, be sure to send them my way. I'm a complete novice at this stuff. 

I love your quest and theme too! I have a whole storyline in my head for my "quest" too. I might write it down and post it eventually, but I might just keep it as something for myself. It might seems a little tacky, but it's a nice little aide to help me visualize my goals and the path to get there, and that's all that matters. I wouldn't worry too much that your goals are a little vague in the beginning. You may want to re-evaluate at the halfway point and make them a little more specific but for now I think they are just fine. The first few weeks go ahead and try a variety of classes and see what you like. Once you find what works for you, you will be in a better position to say "do yoga x times per week and spin class x times" or "do x number of squats" or "run x number of minutes/miles." As for the food stuff, it's a great first step to cut out processed and "junk" food. I also highly recommend tracking your food with something like myfitnesspal when you are first starting just so you learn where your starting point is and how many calories are actually in the different foods you eat. But, you may want to leave this for a future challenge if you don't feel ready for it yet. If you have any questions on nutrition or healthy eating, I have come a long way in shifting my eating habits and I'd be happy to give you my tips and/or opinions, so feel free to ask me anything. But, it looks like you're off to a wonderful start! Good luck!

PS: Your LOTR theme is great, but I also love your Nausicaa profile pic!

Aiming for 100% except for particular holidays is pretty much exactly how I phrased my diet goal.  Life is too short to say I'll never eat cake again.  (Just not daily!)

I wouldn't worry too much that your goals are a little vague in the beginning. You may want to re-evaluate at the halfway point and make them a little more specific but for now I think they are just fine. The first few weeks go ahead and try a variety of classes and see what you like. Once you find what works for you, you will be in a better position to say "do yoga x times per week and spin class x times" or "do x number of squats" or "run x number of minutes/miles."

Steve's article on "How Not To Suck At Goal Setting" explains much more articulately than I why being specific is important.  The challenges are only six weeks long for the very reason that you might find that your previous goal doesn't work for you, so change it next challenge.  But unless you know what you are trying, how will you know it does/does not work?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Hi there, I LOVE your motivation picture, I'm a HUGE LOTR fan myself!

Your whole introduction story was very lovely!

:)

But - 

I feel like those are really tough goals to achieve - they seem a bit drastic to me. Especially since you are a Hobbit! They don't like change! :D

This article about getting started is really good! I am trying to not change too much at once. If you want to, have a look at my battle log. I just made sure to eat a bit of vegs or fruits to every meal, to exercise 2-3 times a week (only for max. half an hour) and banned junk food to 3 day a week (Mind that I said junk food. I can still eat grains etc if I want to. Though the only grainy thing I eat at the moment is porridge). And lost almost 6 lbs in 3 weeks (was on the scale this morning^^)!

Please don't use up all your energy and motivation during one 6-week challenge!

If you can do it, that's fine :)

For me it would be wayyyyy too drastic.

Wish you lots of success!

- A smooth sea never made a skillfull sailor - 

My Battle Log|1st|2nd challenge!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

Str: 2 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 5 | Cha : 3

From 121 cm waist to 90 cm

29%
29%

Hi there, I LOVE your motivation picture, I'm a HUGE LOTR fan myself!

Your whole introduction story was very lovely!

:)

But - 

I feel like those are really tough goals to achieve - they seem a bit drastic to me. Especially since you are a Hobbit! They don't like change! :D

This article about getting started is really good! I am trying to not change too much at once. If you want to, have a look at my battle log. I just made sure to eat a bit of vegs or fruits to every meal, to exercise 2-3 times a week (only for max. half an hour) and banned junk food to 3 day a week (Mind that I said junk food. I can still eat grains etc if I want to. Though the only grainy thing I eat at the moment is porridge). And lost almost 6 lbs in 3 weeks (was on the scale this morning^^)!

Please don't use up all your energy and motivation during one 6-week challenge!

If you can do it, that's fine :)

For me it would be wayyyyy too drastic.

Wish you lots of success!

I never thought that selecting goals would be so difficult! 

In reference to the exercise: I think most of my problem is that I'm starting with little idea of what I want to do specifically. That, essentially, is my goal: to figure it out. I want to find something that I can do on a regular basis and that I don't hate, whether it's circuit training, walking, yoga, barre exercises, hiking, pilates, running, lifting, zumba, aerobics dvds, etc. 

As far as the food goes, I'm really not a big junk food eater to begin with (I like to cook, so I don't rely too heavily on those foods, but I want to completely cut them out.), and I won't be restricting my diet in any other way; so, I thought it was an attainable goal for me. My long-term plan would be to cut out that stuff completely, then add things like calorie counting and portion control, until my eating habits are where they should be.

Perhaps, I can focus my goals to smaller, specific things:

Goal 1: Try a variety of different exercises/fitness classes/dvds/whatever and find something that works for me.

• Exercising 4 days a week, for 30 minutes or more
  • At least 1 of those days must be a workout that I have not tried before

Goal 2: Cut out processed, fatty, and sugary foods/drinks from my daily diet and replace them with healthy whole foods.

• My long-term goal is to be 99% junk free (with the exception of a rare holiday treat)
  • For this challenge, I will cut out these elements from my diet with the exception of one meal per week.

Goal 3: Take measures to decrease stress and increase energy and positive thinking.

• I will decrease my stress levels and increase my energy level and positive thinking by trying the following activities, once a week for 30 minutes or more:
    • Zazen Meditation, stretch yoga, Gardening/spending more time in the sun, and exploring new methods of positive thinking

So, here would be my more focused goals:

1. I will exercise 4 times a week (30 mins. or more), and one of those times will be something new that I have not tried. 
  2. I will cut out processed, fatty, and sugary foods/drinks from all but one of my meals per week.
  3. I will decrease my stress levels and increase my energy level and positive thinking by trying the following activities, once a week for 30 minutes or more: zazen meditation, stretch yoga, gardening/spending more time in the sun, and exploring new methods of positive thinking.

Thanks for all the help and support everyone!

Perhaps, I can focus my goals to smaller, specific things:

Goal 1: Try a variety of different exercises/fitness classes/dvds/whatever and find something that works for me.

• Exercising 4 days a week, for 30 minutes or more
  • At least 1 of those days must be a workout that I have not tried before

Goal 2: Cut out processed, fatty, and sugary foods/drinks from my daily diet and replace them with healthy whole foods.

• My long-term goal is to be 99% junk free (with the exception of a rare holiday treat)
  • For this challenge, I will cut out these elements from my diet with the exception of one meal per week.

Goal 3: Take measures to decrease stress and increase energy and positive thinking.

• I will decrease my stress levels and increase my energy level and positive thinking by trying the following activities, once a week for 30 minutes or more:
    • Zazen Meditation, stretch yoga, Gardening/spending more time in the sun, and exploring new methods of positive thinking

Thanks for all the help and support everyone!

That looks much better to me! 30 minutes is fine, and you CAN always do more it you want to, but its good so have small goals so when it gets stressy and tough you can look at them and say to yourself  "I only need to do this to succeed".

That's nice and specific, well done :)

You are welcome!  :encouragement:

- A smooth sea never made a skillfull sailor - 

My Battle Log|1st|2nd challenge!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

Str: 2 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 5 | Cha : 3

From 121 cm waist to 90 cm

29%
29%

Hey there :3 I'm just passing by to say hi to my new acountabilibuddy xP to answer your question, yes, I found one and her name is Victoria!! Wiii! Haha I also felt identified with your goals, and I also feel our goals are in the same ballpark, or higly connected by the threads of destiny, or I dunno, you fell from the sky <3 I hope you ROCK this challenge! ... Forget that, I hope WE ROCK this challenge! :D

Hey there :3 I'm just passing by to say hi to my new acountabilibuddy xP to answer your question, yes, I found one and her name is Victoria!! Wiii! Haha I also felt identified with your goals, and I also feel our goals are in the same ballpark, or higly connected by the threads of destiny, or I dunno, you fell from the sky <3 I hope you ROCK this challenge! ... Forget that, I hope WE ROCK this challenge! :D

Sorry, that last post I wrote was directed at you, but I forgot to quote your last post on it.

I also wanted to point out that we both have names that begin with "V," which is really awesome. I've been called "Vivian" more than a few times when people forget my name. lol

Sorry, that last post I wrote was directed at you, but I forgot to quote your last post on it.

I also wanted to point out that we both have names that begin with "V," which is really awesome. I've been called "Vivian" more than a few times when people forget my name. lol

:o!! Then that makes us twinsies! Hahaha, Cool! And I wanted to point out that while I haven't been called Victoria (at least not that I remember :playful: ), I have a very dear little cousin which name is Victoria <3 

Hello, Victoria! Such a beautiful name.

First of all...

**Hobbit high five** 

I've been trying to for more hobbit brethren (and sistren) on this site. People seem to underestimate how hearty we are at times. The smaller more specific things are probably going to make a world of difference in completing this challenge (though this is my first time doing a challenge too so I would take any advice I have with a grain of salt).

I wish you good luck on your adventure!  

Hobbit of Buckland

First Time Challenger: Level 0

My First Challenge: Back Again

My Battle Log: Captain's Log

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.â€

― J.R.R. Tolkien, the Hobbit

Main Quest

I want to lose some weight and implement healthy eating and exercise habits.

Goals

1. Try a variety of different exercises/fitness classes/dvds/whatever and find something that works for me.

I really like your goal of trying new things to find something that works! That's totally the key to exercising for life.  If you don't like running, you're not going to do it very long!  I find too that as adults we get too comfortable sometimes and need to make an effort to move out of that.  I just started a fitness pole dancing class and even though I teach Zumba and other fitness classes, I was so nervous when I got there for my first class my hands were shaking! 

If you have any questions about group fitness classes shoot me a message! They're a great way to meet people, learn new things and stay committed!

I guess this means goodbye to Second Breakfast. Good luck with all your goals!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

I guess this means goodbye to Second Breakfast. Good luck with all your goals!

Not necessarily. Healthy second breakfasts can actually be good for you. As can Elevensies. And second dinners. It all depends on the "how much" and the "what" (unless you're doing the fasting route in which case, yeah, second breakfasts are definitely out).   

Hobbit of Buckland

First Time Challenger: Level 0

My First Challenge: Back Again

My Battle Log: Captain's Log

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.â€

― J.R.R. Tolkien, the Hobbit

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines