SIX workouts (two bonus) REALLY WELL

24/28 points for eating well REALLY WELL

3/7 points for meditation   MEH

1/7 points for 10 pm bedtime  REALLY LOUSY

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

9/20

Cardio Workout 2/2 for week of 9/16

Walked the whole time cuz my legs were as cranky as the rest of me; didn't time cuz DH picked me up to deal with DD's latest (thankfully minor) car accident.

I'm totally counting this because I went out and exercised even though I woke up pissy and hating the world, and the day went downhill from there.  I FINISHED almost the full three loops before DH picked me up; I didn't kill anybody (even though it was tempting), and I was calm, pleasant and supportive for DD.

Total Distance:  just under 2.7 miles Total Time:  unknown

9/21

Bonus Workout

4 or 5? hours of yard work after hiking plans fell through

9/22

Bonus Workout

5 or 6? hours of yard work including digging up Petasites japonica which was taking over a bed and replanting where it has LOTS of room to roam.  I planted one small plant three years ago.  I dug up and replanted FORTY plants plus about a dozen roots with no growth buds.

Ouch, a car accident? That's never fun... hope all is well...

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Started feeling pissy around Wednesday last week and having trouble sleeping.  I wonder if, at some level, I'm totally freaked out about feeling so energetic from eating well and exercising that I have to do SOMETHING to make it stop.  I got way off track with meditation and sleep about midweek too, not that I've been stellar at it in the first place.  I have decided that my sleep goal is just NOT realistic.  I was advised not to change my bedtime by more than 15 minutes, so my latest plan is to aim for falling asleep by 11 pm next week.  That will be an improvement over the last couple of weeks when I've varied between 11:30 pm and 2:30 am.

I've also been slacking on the exercise this week, but will probably crank out a workout everyone of the remaining days to catch up.  My ankle was extremely angry Sunday after all the stomping on a shovel to dig up and replant, so I took it easy on Monday, which has now run all the way through Wednesday.  Time to get back on track!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Started feeling pissy around Wednesday last week and having trouble sleeping.  I wonder if, at some level, I'm totally freaked out about feeling so energetic from eating well and exercising that I have to do SOMETHING to make it stop.  I got way off track with meditation and sleep about midweek too, not that I've been stellar at it in the first place.  I have decided that my sleep goal is just NOT realistic.  I was advised not to change my bedtime by more than 15 minutes, so my latest plan is to aim for falling asleep by 11 pm next week.  That will be an improvement over the last couple of weeks when I've varied between 11:30 pm and 2:30 am.

I've also been slacking on the exercise this week, but will probably crank out a workout everyone of the remaining days to catch up.  My ankle was extremely angry Sunday after all the stomping on a shovel to dig up and replant, so I took it easy on Monday, which has now run all the way through Wednesday.  Time to get back on track!

Self sabotage? Rogaecia was just mentioning her ability to totally get in her own way a while ago. ;) Any workouts you can do to be gentle on the ankle until it has time to recover?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Hi Peggy

Hey, you sound like you've been powering through some workouts, for a second I felt like I was back in the Rangers Guild, reading all these ;)

And if you're finding the sleep goal impossible then it totally makes sense to move to a gentler transition, going to bed a bit later, but still earlier than before.

Good luck for the second half of week 2!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Planning a strength workout during lunch today.  DH got a new(ish) boss who actually expects him to get into the office early in the morning instead of working from home, so our schedule has been in flux this week.  I do best with him along for encouragement, but I'm getting back on track today.

I totally think it's self sabotage.  It was honestly a little scary to have so much energy and feel so good.  I'm going to try to enjoy it rather than freaking about it.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Planning a strength workout during lunch today.  DH got a new(ish) boss who actually expects him to get into the office early in the morning instead of working from home, so our schedule has been in flux this week.  I do best with him along for encouragement, but I'm getting back on track today.

I totally think it's self sabotage.  It was honestly a little scary to have so much energy and feel so good.  I'm going to try to enjoy it rather than freaking about it.

Enjoy the ride! Feeling good is what we all strive for. :) Hope your kick that workout's ass!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Routines changing can throw all sorts of things out!  I hope the dust settles quickly.  And yeah, enjoy the ride on the energy side!! :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

9/28

Cardio Workout 1/2 for the week of 9/23

Messed around for much of the week, so Ed and I are cranking through some workouts this weekend.  Ankle is still cranky, so we walked three loops briskly to ease back into workouts.

Distance:  2.7 miles  Time:  untimed

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

The timing on your feeling poorly lines up pretty well with some variant of "low carb flu."  Looks like you went right through it and kept going.  Good job!  As you mentioned, you should be feeling better now that it's over.

Be careful with the ankle, though.  They can take awhile to cure, and pushing it only makes it take longer.  You can be fit with about 15 - 20 min of exercise per week, so don't feel you have to overdo.  You are doing great.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Peggy, hadn't seen your thread until now. How are you? How's the challenge going so far? Wishing you all the best!

Montecristo73, it's great to hear from you.  I'm glad to see you're doing another challenge and it's got another great theme.  I'm doing pretty well, and the challenge is going okay.  I had the usual second week slump, but I'm pulling out of it pretty well.

The timing on your feeling poorly lines up pretty well with some variant of "low carb flu."  Looks like you went right through it and kept going.  Good job!  As you mentioned, you should be feeling better now that it's over.

Be careful with the ankle, though.  They can take awhile to cure, and pushing it only makes it take longer.  You can be fit with about 15 - 20 min of exercise per week, so don't feel you have to overdo.  You are doing great.

MadScientist, it could be carb flu, but I haven't completely eliminated grains and beans, so it could just be pissiness.

I shattered my right ankle in Feb 2012, had surgery to put in a plate, and spent a good long time in rehab.  I'm very careful with it, but honestly consistent exercise seems to be really good for it, in addition to being amazingly good for my mental health.

When it gets very painful, I can almost always point to some specific activity that aggravated it.  In this case, it was too much gardening which involved stomping on a shovel to dig up 40 or so plants and then stomping on a shovel again to replant them.  Needless to say, I stand on my left foot and stomp with my right...

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Honey, if you've gotten into territory that's so new it's scaring you, you've really accomplished something.

This is a huge mark of success.

Now you have to learn to tolerate that success.  Could that be an inner min-quest>

I'm coming to terms with it.  This week is looking much better.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

9/28

Bonus workout for the week of 9/23

5 or 6 hours of yard work.  I really should get it together and take before and after pictures of each bed.

9/29

Bonus workout for the week of 9/23

3 hours of house work, scrubbing the laundry room sink and appliances.  Also folded laundry for several hours while watching Dr. Who.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

I'm absolutely interested in bedtime routine stuff. I'm already active in one accountability group, but I'd love a partner for this goal.

Also look for my post on your thread with a video that I thought you'd find helpful.

I usually meditate laying on my back. I know a lot of people fall asleep in that position, but I don't. I don't want to blame any teacher for my meditation technique, but I usually close my eyes and focus on my breathing, what I hear, feel and (maybe) see. I've listened to or read Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh, Andrew Weil & Jon Kabit Zinn, and a book from the 70's or 80's called The Relaxation Response. The latest teacher I've discovered is Shinzen Young. He has a rather "scientific" view of meditation which you can get a sense of from the free download of Five Ways to Know Yourself. I've attended one of his conference call seminars and found it helpful and interesting.

Taking notes:-) Very inspiring indeed

But I'm confused, didn't find that video?

I have chosen to believe in myself.

LOL when are we seeing pictures of the yard progress? I'm starting to think your hard is of McMansion proportions...

Remember that I'm probably 20 years older than you are, and think about where you'll be in 20 years.  I've also been married to the same guy for over 25 years, so we've got 2 incomes, and no divorces in our history. 

Given that, it is a HUGE yard--a little over 1 acre.  The caveats are, a.) we lucked out and bought during the housing bubble burst, b.) I'm much more of a garden geek than, say, 95% of people, c.) I shattered my ankle in Feb 2012, and did NO gardening that year, and very little this spring and fall, so I'm catching up on a lot.

There are at least some pictures and a plat on the Garden Journal section of my garden blog at http://gardeninthewoods.wordpress.com/

In particular, the Overview page has a picture of the front yard.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Nice! I'm amazed that you can take care of the yard all by yourselves. That doesn't seem like something I would want to do, even if I had the years and income level! ;) But it sounds like you're really happy and proud of it, and that you get a good workout doing all that work. Wins all over! Naw, for me, it'll be a townhouse. :D

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Nice! I'm amazed that you can take care of the yard all by yourselves. That doesn't seem like something I would want to do, even if I had the years and income level! ;) But it sounds like you're really happy and proud of it, and that you get a good workout doing all that work. Wins all over! Naw, for me, it'll be a townhouse. :D

The appeal of a townhouse increases all the time.  Maybe when the kids & MIL are out of the house...

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

The appeal of a townhouse increases all the time.  Maybe when the kids & MIL are out of the house...

Heh. You'd miss the yard too much. Maybe a townhouse that was close to a community garden? Those look like fun...

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I agree with Renegade.  You sound like my wife, who just is not herself unless she gets to play around outside for a few hours a week.  Just pulling weeds from the grass is enough.  We don't have nearly the yard you do, but it is still fun and literally fruitful.  Keep enjoying your yard.

...and keep rockin' your challenge!

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

I live in the city and used to have an allotment. Just putting it out there....

You poor thing! Look after that ankle - and agree with Sabrina... Sounds like you're moving out of your comfort zone..

Sent from my ST25i using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

Taking notes:-) Very inspiring indeed

But I'm confused, didn't find that video?

which video?  Five Ways is a pdf ebook, if that's what you're referring to.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines