peggysr Level 4: Pushing Limits

peggysr

Hooray gardening! I've gotten out of the habit because my commute/job hours are so long (and because it's just darn hot out in the summer), but I'm looking forward to doing more stuff outside once it cools off.

Level 3 Human Druid

[sTR: 3] [DEX:8] [sTA:5] [CON:9] [WIS:8] [CHA:2]

Previous Challenge Thread: A Wild Anna Appears

Current Challenge Thread: Just one Anna, Just TWO challenges!

Walking to Lothlorien: On the road south of Rivendell

Twitter: @justanna

Hooray gardening! I've gotten out of the habit because my commute/job hours are so long (and because it's just darn hot out in the summer), but I'm looking forward to doing more stuff outside once it cools off.

SO true!  My gardening season is really:  Fall--to clean and plant, Winter--to dream and plan, Spring--to plant.  In summer I just curl up inside where there's air conditioning.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

10/3

Strength workout 1/2 week of 9/30

Long time since my last strength workout, and I need to get back on track.

Workout B

Warm up:  20 jumping jacks, chops with 15 lb, 10 hip raises with 52.5 lb (+2.5 lbs), 5 TOE pushups (slightly better form-closer to the ground)

Straight Leg Deadlift – 4 sets of 8, 60 second rests.     4 sets of 8, 2x30 lbs

filled rest period with shoulder rotations                   4 sets of 10, 2 x 12 lbs

Body Weight Row (or Bent Over Dumbbell Row) – 4 sets of 8, 60 second rests.   4 sets of 8 (new exercise, didn't make it very far up, killer tough, but still a big jump)

filled rest period with One Leg Deadlift                                                               4 sets of 5/5/5/7 (with good form) on each side

SUPERSET (4 total sets)
• 3A) Walking Lunge with kick – sets of 8, go right to 3B                                   4 sets of 4 really focusing on form
• 3B) Side Plank – sets of 40 seconds (alternate sides - set 1 left side,            4 sets of 25/25/25/3 0 seconds (+5-15 seconds)
set 2 right side, set 3 left side, set 4 right side), 60 second rest, then
repeat 3A

SUPERSET (4 total sets)
• 4A) Overhead Dumbbell Press – sets of 8, go right to 4B                              2 sets of 8, 2x17.5 lbs
• 4B) Reverse Crunch – as many as you can, 60 second rest,                         2 sets:  30 / 25  (+5/5)
then repeat 4A

Had to leave halfway through last superset to drop off kids at various locations

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

You wrote that you posted a video in my thread but never mind :-)

Sorry about that.  I'm easily confused, and posted a video on someone else's thread.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

10/6

Cardio Workout 1/2 for the week of 9/30

long time since I tried to run, and it was hot, so I was VERY unsuccessful at running.  However, I kept moving for three whole loops, and actually decreased my time despite walking the vast majority of this.  I have a head problem with jogging for a long time and need to figure out how to overcome it.

Total Distance:  2.7 miles Total Time:  42 min, 33 sec, 1 min, 1 sec less than previous best time 43 min, 34 sec on 9/17

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Yay - congrats on setting a PB on the running, that's what it's all about!  And 1 minute is a considerable time to shave off in one go, so your fitness must really be improving!  Well done you! :)

p.s. that workout with all the weights sounds tough!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

10/7

Strength Workout 1/2 for the week of 10/7

Warm up:  20 jumping jacks, chops with 17.5 lb (+2.5 lbs), 10 hip raises with 52.5 lb, 5 TOE pushups (slightly better form-closer to the ground)

Overhead Squats – 3 sets of 10, 60 second rest. - 4 sets of 10, holding arms overhead with 2x12 lb weights (oops!  +1 set)

filled rest period with inner and outer forearm curls - 4 sets of 10 with 17.5 lbs on outer (1 new set), 12 lbs on inner (-.5 lbs, +1 new set, needed to assist w/other hand on last 2 of each set on right arm)

Decline Push Ups (Push Ups / Incline Push Ups) – 3 sets of 8, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 5TOE pushups (slightly better form)

filled rest period with 10 second calf raises  - 3 sets of 10 (+5 seconds)

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 3A) Step Ups With External Rotation – set of 10, go right to 3B        1 sets of 10 on hearth
• 3B) Plank - hold 40 seconds each, 60 second rest, go back to 3A    1 sets for 35sec (timed on the clock)

filled rest period with bicep curls - 1 sets of 10 with 20 lbs

--pooped out at this point...

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 4A) Chin Ups (Assisted Chin Ups / Lat Pull Down) – sets of 5, go right to 4B  - 3 sets of 10 with new bands
• 4B) Exercise Ball Crunch (Reverse Crunch)– as many as you can,              - 3 sets of 20/20/20
60 second rest, return to 4A

filled rest period with triceps curls - 3 sets of 10 with 10 lbs (+4 reps on each set)

yoga poses and stretching!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Hey, nice workouts! Keep up the good work!

What's the "head problem" you speak of while jogging?

The "head problem" is that my head is whining about jogging and wants to stop.  I actually did much better today by thinking song lyrics in rhythm with my jogging.  I do a better job of continuing to jog if my brain isn't entirely focused on how my head thinks my body feels.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

10/9

Cardio Workout 1/2 for the week of 10/7

Upped my jogging pace a bit ("Staying Alive" tempo) and added a third jogging interval.  Also working on walking pretty briskly

Loop 1/2:  far corner to Tersiguel's mailbox

Loop 2/3:  far corner to new house's mailbox

Loop 3:  far corner to new house's mailbox--first time to add a third jogging interval!

Total Distance:  2.7 miles Total Time:  41 min, 24 sec, 1 min, 9 sec less than previous best time 42 min, 33 sec on 9/30

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

The "head problem" is that my head is whining about jogging and wants to stop.  I actually did much better today by thinking song lyrics in rhythm with my jogging.  I do a better job of continuing to jog if my brain isn't entirely focused on how my head thinks my body feels.

+1.

It's amazing what a whiny little b*tch a brain can be, isn't it?!

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

I felt this on my challenging hike this wknd. I think upping the tempo (BPM) definitely helps! It's an unconscious thing sometimes - when the beats are lower, your body unintentionally slows down.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Another PB!  Good job!  You should easily be ready for the Warrior Dash next year if you keep this pace.  Doing a good job with the rest of the workouts, as well - steady increases.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

*grin*

Anyone else have... Hmmm... "conversations" with their brain, or is it just me?!

For example - last night, running, the following 'conversation' occurred...:

Part A: "Oh I can't be bothered, this is too much effort. Can we just give up yet?"

Part B: "Oh it's fine. Just keep going. Just to the end of this song I promise. Then we can go home and do some lovely stretches."

Part A: "*Sighs* Ok... wait, can't we just skip this song and move on to the next song? Like, literally press the skip button? Then we've run to the end of the song, right...?"

Part B: ".... Shut up".

.... Or maybe I'm just weird?

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

I don't talk to myself, my mother talks to me, my ex talks to me, my brother talks to me, my husband talks to me, even old bosses talk to me. Oh they're all in my head, but I know it's them and their opinions and my assumptions of their opinions, And they wont leave. SOMEBODY GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :nightmare:  :rolleyes-new:

I don't talk to myself, my mother talks to me, my ex talks to me, my brother talks to me, my husband talks to me, even old bosses talk to me. Oh they're all in my head, but I know it's them and their opinions and my assumptions of their opinions, And they wont leave. SOMEBODY GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :nightmare:  :rolleyes-new:

Honestly, the people in my head are sometimes nastier than the real people they're based on.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

:D

Nice to know I'm not the only one! It's amazing how the voices of the past form part of who you are now... or at least influence you.

I don't talk to myself, my mother talks to me, my ex talks to me, my brother talks to me, my husband talks to me, even old bosses talk to me. Oh they're all in my head, but I know it's them and their opinions and my assumptions of their opinions, And they wont leave. SOMEBODY GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! :nightmare::rolleyes-new:

:D

Nice to know I'm not the only one! It's amazing how the voices of the past form part of who you are now... or at least influence you.

You guys just made me feel so much better. While I don't have it happen anymore, there was a time in my life when I heard two pretty distinct voices, that we're also more nasty than their original owners, and always felt really embarrassed like I'd had a mental break or something. I obviously new they weren't real, but they were so prominent that it really did a number on my self worth (both what I heard from them and my own internal "welp, now I'm a crazy person").

MyFitnessPal

We are ALL "crazy people" Hurray for us! :peaceful:

There is no great genius without some touch of madness

--Lucius Annaeus Seneca

We must all be geniuses!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines