peggysr Level 4: Pushing Limits

peggysr

10/10

Strength Workout 2/2 for the week of 10/7

Workout B

Warm up:  20 jumping jacks, chops with 15 lb, 10 hip raises with 52.5 lb (+2.5 lbs), 5 TOE pushups (slightly better form-closer to the ground)

Straight Leg Deadlift – 4 sets of 8, 60 second rests.     4 sets of 8, 2x30 lbs

filled rest period with shoulder rotations                   4 sets of 10, 2 x 12 lbs

Body Weight Row (or Bent Over Dumbbell Row) – 4 sets of 8, 60 second rests.   4 sets of 8 (new exercise, didn't make it very far up, killer tough, but still a big jump)

filled rest period with One Leg Deadlift                                                               4 sets of 5/5/5/7 (with good form) on each side

SUPERSET (4 total sets)
• 3A) Walking Lunge with kick – sets of 8, go right to 3B                                   2 sets of 4 really focusing on form
• 3B) Side Plank – sets of 40 seconds (alternate sides - set 1 left side,            2 sets of 40/40 seconds (+15 seconds)
set 2 right side, set 3 left side, set 4 right side), 60 second rest, then
repeat 3A

Only did two sets and pooped out

SUPERSET (4 total sets)
• 4A) Overhead Dumbbell Press – sets of 8, go right to 4B                              2 sets of 8, 2x17.5 lbs
• 4B) Reverse Crunch – as many as you can, 60 second rest,                         2 sets:  30 / 25  (+5/5)
then repeat 4A

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

10/14

Cardio Workout 1/2 for the week of 10/14

Cranky & pissy & tired, so I walked basically the whole way, with two or three tiny runs

Total Distance:  2.7 miles Total Time:  44 min, 55 sec,

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Given the weight workout you did, it is not surprising you didn't feel like running.  Give yourself some credit.  Look back at your first posts and now look at your current one.  Progress has been made!  Good job!

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

10/19

Cardio workout 2/2 for the week of 10/14

Sabrinamari is visiting this weekend and got me up and out running.  She also motivated me to move a little faster.  Brain was much less whiny this morning.

Loop 1/2:  sooner than far corner to bottom of the hill

Loop 2/3:  far corner to bottom of the hill

Loop 3:  finished with a sprint from the pavement change

Loop 4:  untimed walk to cool down

Total Distance:  2.7 miles timed, 3.6 total Total Time:  38 min 59 sec, 2 min, 28 sec less than previous best time 41 min, 24 sec on 9/30

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

10/19

Cardio workout 2/2 for the week of 10/14

Sabrinamari is visiting this weekend and got me up and out running. She also motivated me to move a little faster. Brain was much less whiny this morning.

Loop 1/2: sooner than far corner to bottom of the hill

Loop 2/3: far corner to bottom of the hill

Loop 3: finished with a sprint from the pavement change

Loop 4: untimed walk to cool down

Total Distance: 2.7 miles timed, 3.6 total Total Time: 38 min 59 sec, 2 min, 28 sec less than previous best time 41 min, 24 sec on 9/30

Awesome, a new personal best! Sabrinamari inspires both online and IRL :)

MyFitnessPal

Hey Peggy, I see you've got in loads more great workouts!

And I totally get the whiny voice head problem while running too! The only way I've found around it is to trick it by setting out to do a short run and then continually extending it (altho that's easier on the treadmill than outside!) Whenever I say to myself 'I'll do 10k' it's almost guaranteed not to happen! But 10 mins is much more achievable, even for whiny brain head voice!! :D

Hope you have a great last challenge weekend!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Lots of ups and downs in the last few weeks as our family started our annual Birthday & Holiday Gauntlet.

DH's birthday was 10/13, and I knitted like a maniac to finish his sweater (the first one I've actually FINISHED):

IMG_4064_medium2.JPG

DD's birthday was 10/16, and she got a knitted acorn cap (no pics yet, but I'll get them someday.)

All this gift knitting inspired me to get back to work on the 65 block sampler I started in December that's been languishing for most of the year.  I've cranked out seven blocks this month after finishing the block I got stuck on back in January.  I've also joined two "knit alongs" on Ravelry and made good progress on a scarf and started a beautiful beaded shawl.

Next up is Halloween.  We bought candy, put together two small bags for a neighborhood tradition, and then I asked DH to hide it.  So far so good; apparently I'm the only one in the house who hasn't found the "secret" location yet.

Lots of knitting, not much exercising.  I'll be wrapping up this challenge and getting back on track this week.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

10/26

Bonus Workout

sabrinamari and I attended a wonderful Buddhist workshop over the weekend, and my single workout for the week was an hour long intro yoga class.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Level 4:  Pushing Limits Wrap Up

Overall Grade:  D

I flaked out for basically the last half of the challenge when things got too busy, and I got distracted and started knitting maniacally.  Thank goodness for the chance to get back on track next challenge.  On the other hand, I ate a healthy diet and lost weight even when I wasn't focused on it.

Food Goal Results:  B  +2.25 CON

I flaked out on tracking a little under halfway through the challenge, but I actually did very well on eating properly.  Not sure how to grade myself on this, so I'm being generous and assuming that the time I didn't track went as well as the time I did track (55/64 points) so I'm giving myself a B.

Workout Goal Results: C  +1 STR, +1 STA, +0.5 DEX

I completed 17 workouts during this challenge, a sharp drop from previous challenges.  DH and I are dealing with a significant schedule change and have been struggling to find time to work out as a result.  Building SOLID workout habits will be a big part of my goals next challenge.

Meditation & Sleep Goals:  F +0 points

I really dropped the ball on these, but I did learn several good tools for improving my sleep habits, and actually got more sleep this challenge than I have in quite a while.  I just returned from a Buddhist workshop feeling very inspired and motivated to build up my meditation habit, so I'm going to do a much better job on both these goals next challenge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Stats

Level 3 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  10.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 11.75 | CON: 5.75 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Challenge 1  | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3 | Challenge 4

Judith Viorst

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Stats:

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Challenge 1  | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3 | Challenge 4 | Challenge 5 (coming soon)

Judith Viorst

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Quest

I'm ready to start pushing limits:  running more, running faster, lifting heavier weights, building a stronger, healthier self.

This is longer term than just a few months.  I want to lose weight and get stronger.  It will probably take about a year for me to lose enough weight to weigh 150 pounds (or less,) which is the upper end of the suggested weight range for my height.  I'll judge more by how I look and feel than by the number on the scale.  This isn't just about getting SKINNY, though; I want to be able to do more, live longer, and look better.

One of my big intermediate goals is to to run (jog, NOT walk) a Warrior Dash.  I'm working up to that with weekly strength and cardio training and racing regularly.  I've finished two 5k races so far, and hope to run another 3 or 4 races between now and the Warrior Dash on May 10, 2014.

Motivation

I don't want my fitness level and size to limit what I do anymore.

Current Missions

1. Fuel myself properly and earn CON+3 by
    1. Eating ONLY when I'm hungry (1 pt per day)
    2. Eating ONLY real food--minimally processed meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and minimal dairy (1 pt per day)
    3. Drinking plenty of water (1 pt per day)
    4. Eating ONLY between 9 am and 8 pm (1 pt per day)

2. Get stronger, faster, and more flexible and earn STR+2,  STA+2 and DEX+1 by completing 4-6 workouts every week, alternating strength and cardio workouts, and stretching for at least 10 minutes after each workout.

3. Improve my health, get stronger, faster, reduce stress, live longer and earn CON+3 by going to bed by 10 pm every night (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for going to bed by 11 pm)

Revised Goal: 

Improve my health, get stronger, faster, reduce stress, live longer and earn CON+3 by going to bed a little earlier every week or two (1 pt per day.)  Starting point for week 3 is going to bed by 11:30 each night.

Life Quest

1. Calm and focus my mind, reduce stress, live longer and earn WIS+2 and CHA+2 by meditating for 15 minutes every day (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for any meditation time)

Grading

A (100%)              34-42 days      25-30 workouts
B  (75%)               25-33 days       19-24 workouts
C  (50%)               16-24 days       13-18 workouts
D  (25%)                 7-15 days        7-12 workouts
F    (0%)                 0 - 6 days        0 - 6 workouts

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Well done, Peggy! I think it's the journey that counts, and it sounds like you were able to shoulder through with the unexpected obstacles that came up. Will knitting be a future goal? ;) I think it's so great that when you and Sabrina get together, you find ways to incorporate all that exercise! :)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Well done, Peggy! I think it's the journey that counts, and it sounds like you were able to shoulder through with the unexpected obstacles that came up. Will knitting be a future goal? ;) I think it's so great that when you and Sabrina get together, you find ways to incorporate all that exercise!

Knitting has actually turned out to be one of my stress management skills.  It's certainly a better option than my previous junk food binges.  I've actually got plenty of knitting goals already and need to finish heaven only knows how many projects.  Probably better not to mix that set of goals with this set; I need to balance them, and the chat forums associated with both.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Knitting has actually turned out to be one of my stress management skills. It's certainly a better option than my previous junk food binges. I've actually got plenty of knitting goals already and need to finish heaven only knows how many projects. Probably better not to mix that set of goals with this set; I need to balance them, and the chat forums associated with both.

I'm the same with using it for stress relief. Though it's also a less guilt inducing way for me to catch up on tv (hey, I'm making socks! Need to keep myself interested... :P)

MyFitnessPal

Cardio workout 1/2 for the week of 10/28

(date unknown)

Trying to get back on track, I ran 2 loops today, including a sprint partway up the hill and at the end of the run.

Distance:  1.8 miles  Time:  26 min 38 sec.  53 seconds better than my previous best time  27 min, 45 sec on 8/21

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines