• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello, being creative isn't in my challenge this time round, but I'm working towards making it possible.  Sewing or drawing is next on my list of things I want to do, but if it's non-performance, I'm interested.

Hihi everyone! Thought I'd take some time to introduce myself.

I'm Rowan, a writer/musician/songwriter/artist/dancer/knitter/sewer/all around crafty person living in New York, and I am just cresting my first full year out of college.  This past year I struggled to keep my writing alive, and last november completed NANOWRIMO for the first time!  But my journaling fell by the wayside, my letter-writing flagged, and my novel and all my short story ideas just fizzled.  SO.  For this challenge, my life goal is to write for 30 minutes a day.  It can be journaling, letters, novel, story, whatever, just needs to be 30 min of writing.  I would like to put the majority of that work into my novel, as I plan on actually going a head and publishing it in a year or so (my roommate works in publishing, so i may have a foot in the door!) and I want it to be complete and novel-shaped by spring. 

SO. That's where I'm at.  Also, @Jakkals, blacksmithing is the best, and also holy crap you do Nano?  We should be nano buddies this time around! 

All the best people are. (or that's what I'll keep telling everyone)  ^_^

Ha! With the crew we've got in this thread, maybe our motto ought be something along the lines of: "Life is short - Create. Make stuff. Be eccentric."

Hello, being creative isn't in my challenge this time round, but I'm working towards making it possible.  Sewing or drawing is next on my list of things I want to do, but if it's non-performance, I'm interested.

No performances necessary! Jump in, do what you can, and lend your support. Hopefully the group will inspire you to do some sewing or drawing, if not this challenge, then maybe next time.

*** Update Your Followings and Links, Fellow Rebels! ***

Gobnait

Hihi everyone! Thought I'd take some time to introduce myself.

I'm Rowan, a writer/musician/songwriter/artist/dancer/knitter/sewer/all around crafty person living in New York, and I am just cresting my first full year out of college.  This past year I struggled to keep my writing alive, and last november completed NANOWRIMO for the first time!  But my journaling fell by the wayside, my letter-writing flagged, and my novel and all my short story ideas just fizzled.  SO.  For this challenge, my life goal is to write for 30 minutes a day.  It can be journaling, letters, novel, story, whatever, just needs to be 30 min of writing.  I would like to put the majority of that work into my novel, as I plan on actually going a head and publishing it in a year or so (my roommate works in publishing, so i may have a foot in the door!) and I want it to be complete and novel-shaped by spring. 

SO. That's where I'm at.  Also, @Jakkals, blacksmithing is the best, and also holy crap you do Nano?  We should be nano buddies this time around! 

Wow, you and Jakkals have my respect! I've tried Nano twice and got through the first two weeks, but then each time Thanksgiving preparations and festivities proved to be more than I could overcome. You go on the writing, girl!

Hey, rebels! I thought that it could be fine sharing with you something "artistic". I write poetry and play the piano, the problem of poetry is that it's in Spanish and it doesn't have much sense if you can't understand the language. The problem of piano was the lost of my anonymity. But, anyway, I can remove the link in a couple of days - don't quote it! Ha ha. I hope this could serve to encourage the rest of the members sharing their works.

http://m.youtube.com/user/sjtrigueros?feature=guide#/watch?v=98Zw8_qUAAQ&feature=c4-feed-u

Also, @Jakkals, blacksmithing is the best, and also holy crap you do Nano?  We should be nano buddies this time around! 

The holy crap part are right, my novels are crap and full of holes, but I have fun. I will keep you to the nano buddy promise when November comes round.

Wow, you and Jakkals have my respect! I've tried Nano twice and got through the first two weeks, but then each time Thanksgiving preparations and festivities proved to be more than I could overcome. You go on the writing, girl!

The only thing that keeps me writing sometimes is bloody-mindedness. And the knowledge that spelling, grammar and plot are optional. 

Hey, rebels! I thought that it could be fine sharing with you something "artistic". I write poetry and play the piano, the problem of poetry is that it's in Spanish and it doesn't have much sense if you can't understand the language. The problem of piano was the lost of my anonymity. But, anyway, I can remove the link in a couple of days - don't quote it! Ha ha. I hope this could serve to encourage the rest of the members sharing their works.

That is great, and it is nice to put a face to the name.

Here's a little something I did today instead of finishing up the spreadsheets. :rolleyes-new:

RRRLogo.png

I'm playing with the idea that we're all juggling quite a bit, but the balls all complement one another, too.

You like? Or no? Open to ideas and suggestions.

Oh, wait. "The ball" is singular. Hmmm. Stay tuned for a squad challenge when the spreadsheets are done...

Hmm "keep your eye on the balls" just doesn't have the same ring to it for some reason... :D

What if you put 'focus' somewhere in the title and include 'loyalty' or something similar as one of the balls? I'm just thinking that we're all in this group and trying to support each other so it's an important part of us as well. Or we could just go with 'Focus, Creativity, Loyalty'.

Or we could always borrow from the Lannisters' "Hear me roar" :D

Just my humble ideas :-)

Hmm "keep your eye on the balls" just doesn't have the same ring to it for some reason... :D

What if you put 'focus' somewhere in the title and include 'loyalty' or something similar as one of the balls? I'm just thinking that we're all in this group and trying to support each other so it's an important part of us as well. Or we could just go with 'Focus, Creativity, Loyalty'.

Or we could always borrow from the Lannisters' "Hear me roar" :D

Just my humble ideas :-)

I like it - we definitely need the loyalty part, too. Fitness is sort of a given. I think Jakkals take on the motto -->

"Keep the balls in the air"

is great, so I'll rename the balls. Anyone have feedback on color, design, etc? Any other ideas?

And I got such a good laugh from your status reply, laurabzz, I've got to share!

i-am-a-tiger-mom-hear-me-roar-L-kxkAwJ.j

I think we also have a mascot!

It's so funny, the prologue of my novel has a reference to "even the strongest lion starts out a mewing cub"... Which reminds me! When I get back in tonight, I'll post a writing sample -  to keep the ball in the air that daggart started yesterday of sharing work.

I love the lion now, it looks great! :)

Hey, I was just wondering, where are you all guys from? (I know I might see that on your profiles but I thought it might turn into a nice wee chat). If you're not too worried about internet anonymity (I'm not asking for your full address... just your credit card number :D). We'll have our personal world map.

I can start. I'm living in Scotland, UK at the moment but I'm originally from Lithuania. Been in Scotland for three years now. Weather is terrible, people are super friendly. Amazing Highlands. I love it in here.

Scotland is high on my list of places to visit! Love the music; play it a little. Some of my favorite musicians hail(ed) from there - Mark Knopfler, Dougie MacLean, Andy Stewart, Alasdair Fraser, Alison Kinnaird, Old Blind Dogs, Battlefield Band, Ossian. Oh man, the list goes on and on... Hear the scenery is breathtaking, and now you're saying the people are super friendly, too. It's moved up another notch on the bucket list!

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. The incredibly scenic American Southwest, Sonoran desert, 100+ degrees Farenheit in the summers,

640px-Saguaro_Sunset.jpg

Land of saguaro cacti, sprawling water-hungry metropoli, and famously wacko and corrupt politicians. It is a place of extreme contrasts!

Moved here 5 years ago from northern Arizona (Grand Canyon area, about 150 miles north) and its pine-covered mountains and winter snows. I miss it terribly.

800px-Grand_Canyon_Panorama_2013.jpg

800px-San_Francisco_Peaks.jpg

I love the mascot, too. Very nice!

As promised...

Writing sample - Chapter One of Book Three, in which I break all the rules I have been told about picking a protagonist and at what point to start the story...

I think it's OK breaking the rules if you think it would be better for the story. I have to read the chapter a couple of times to understand properly (English, English, English), but at the first reading it seems interesting. I tell you something more later when I will read it again.

Daggart - that clip of you playing the piano is wonderful, wonderful wonderful.   :)  Thank you for sharing!!

Re: Laurabzz's question - I live in Maine.  Very, very, very rural north-central Maine.  Stephen King writes about crazy people who live where I live, and it's not that hard to imagine why they go nuts isolated way out here.   ;)  I like Maine quite a lot, but to be perfectly honest, the winters are very hard for me and my heart is in San Francisco.  My brother and his wife live out there, and I fell in love with the area the first time I went to visit them.  Marin County is absolutely amazing.  If I lived in a world where I could just up and do anything I wanted, I'd move to CA in a heartbeat.  But, in the real world, that usually doesn't work out well.  So J and I are buying a house here in ME, starting a hobby farm, and saving up so that I can go to CA to visit as often as possible.   :)

Some pictures of where I live.

9873434004_583fe584d3.jpg

9873541293_c0f2ca0079.jpg

(this one was taken last Halloween)

Edit:  Also, I love the lion mascot!   :)