• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Last week was a bit of a blur, but I am sort of back on track for now. Fortunately cleaning can be caught up with, so my score there will be better eventually.

On the positive side, it is nice and warm and we had a lovely thunderstorm last night that cleaned out the dust.

Whew, here I am, fellow Renaissance people, still writing, and getting back on track with eating and working out! Things got pretty lame for a few days, but I'm back and determined to finish out strong!  And I'm almost done knitting my sock :D then I will have only one sock, and I will HAVE to make the other one.  

Have been feeling a yearning to get back into all my crafting projects, to start a quilt or finish some of my handmade jewelry projects! I like to listen to audiobooks while I craft, and I have a few good ones backlogged (Jeeves and Wooster, anyone?)

Colder weather always makes me feel crafty and exited - my brain seems to work better, and thoughts and creativity run quicker and clearer.  Yay fall! 

(Jeeves and Wooster, anyone?)

I've sort of outgrown Wodehouse, but I still have a complete collection of Jeeves and Wooster short stories on my shelves. I dust it of every few years and reread them.

Not very good week, but I hope to compense it during the weekend (which is really hard). I mustn't drink alcohol. I mustn't drink alcohol. I mustn't drink alcohol. I mustn't drink alcohol. I mustn't drink alcohol. If I don't drink I think I could maintain my objectives.

Do not drink alcohol! I kind of know the feeling-  i have never quite understood people who say that drinking helps them creatively - I find it just gums up all the gears and slows things down, makes me sloppy. Not awesome. 

Checking back in after a long weekend in northern Arizona mowing and getting my place and my mom's ready for winter. It was gorgeous fall weather in the high country and I got a lot done considering that I forgot one of the keys I needed (had to break into one of my sheds and then fix it) and I had some car trouble. Still managed to mow about three acres of rough, rocky terrain covered in weeds and prairie grasses, and get a good visit in with my mom.

I planned ahead for the trip and did about what I expected for food. Not bad, not particularly good, but a reasonable compromise for the available time and energy. I got all of my workouts in before I left. Good on everything else as I also worked ahead on my creative projects, took my violin along and practiced while away, and did some writing in the evenings. Still lagging on my word count, but caught up somewhat and can still hit my target if I push it the next two weeks.

I did not get my new recipe in this week, but plan to double up on week five to make up for that. I'm behind a bit on people's posts, but should be able to catch that up by Tuesday evening. Oh, and I was so tired Saturday night after all day on the tractor that I slept for 11 hours! Went to sleep at 8:00 pm and didn't get up until 7:30. Was awake for about half an hour in the middle of the night, but got back to sleep. Yay for sleep!

All in all, not bad. Looking forward to a great final two weeks of this challenge and to knocking out the rest of my goals!

You did very well on planning ahead, and keeping to the plans as well.

And 11 hours of sleep is epic. You really earned it.

I knew that I had to, or those few days could have broken my challenge! The third and fourth weeks of a challenge seem to be really critical. I can really have trouble in that time frame for some reason. I'm still behind on some things this week, but week five feels a lot easier overall. My sleep has been a lot better lately, too.

I have no idea what I want to do for the next challenge.  Well, some idea, about it, but it's all vague.

I want to declutter, sort, box-up, basically mess around with the junk so I have room to do things.  I've decided that I can't make the cabinet alone, so it'll have to wait.  Its space can be a junk holding area.

The shower needs repaired before he gets home, but all I really want accomplished is to have the materials in the house and ready to go, even if I loose my nerve.  It would also be nice to have the kitchen counters redone.  I've got more than one challenge to get to these things, but I don't want my unwillingness to leave the house be stopping me if I do work up the nerve to do the actual work.

Something having to do with my problems involving lack of hunger, everything tastes vile, not eating enough, not feeling that cooking is worth it even when it involves sticking something in the microwave.  Also rum rationing, not drinking too early, and no drinking on an empty stomach.

I want to set things up so that my sixth challenge (I'm currently on my fourth) can be about creative endeavors, wearing nice clothing, having adventures, spending the day on the treadmill, maybe have a workout routine... I want the house to be so that it doesn't get in my way.  Meaning clean and organized enough so that I can get through my chores quickly, not be distracted by a mess, and not having to spend a lot of time looking for something.

Five Days and Counting...

• What has been your biggest success so far?
  • The toughest thing to overcome?
  • Have those things been what you expected them to be, or has the challenge surprised you?
  • What have you learned that will help you in the next challenge?
  • What have you learned that will help you reach the finish line in just five days?

What has been your biggest success so far?

Tie between getting all of my workouts done in the third week BEFORE I went out of town and my music practice progress. I'm not going to reach my completed piece goals, but I have been MUCH more consistent in practicing this challenge.

The toughest thing to overcome?

Food.

Have those things been what you expected them to be, or has the challenge surprised you?

Expectations: Food, yes. Practice, no.

What have you learned that will help you in the next challenge?

I need to scale back the life quest portion a bit so I can nail the food and exercise goals more consistently.

What have you learned that will help you reach the finish line in just five days?

Keep moving...keep tracking...keep posting. Accountability makes a huge difference!

Is anyone still moving forward with the Halloween Costume squad challenge? I've dropped out on making a costume as it was taking too much time away from my main goals, but I will continue to do the contest part for the group if anyone is still interested...

I'm looking over my progress so far this challenge and the other two I've done and am seeing some definite patterns. Weeks three and four are tough, and I spend a lot of the last two weeks trying to undo damage from mid-challenge slumps. This seems to happen to a lot of other people, as well.

What would happen if the challenges were for just four weeks? I think I could maintain momentum much better over the shorter time frame and the learning from faster iterations should build, too. I know that four week challenges were used early on, but were then changed to six weeks. Not sure why and I couldn't seem to find the answer on the forums, though I'm sure it must be out there somewhere. Does anybody know?

Anyway, I'm thinking of building in some sort of goalposts at week four next time to see if I can power through weeks 3 and 4 any better. Then reset for the final two weeks. Maybe that will get me through it.

Five Days and Counting...

• What has been your biggest success so far?
  • The toughest thing to overcome?
  • Have those things been what you expected them to be, or has the challenge surprised you?
  • What have you learned that will help you in the next challenge?
  • What have you learned that will help you reach the finish line in just five days?

I am thinking about all those, the finish line I will cross, my dignity still intact.

Is anyone still moving forward with the Halloween Costume squad challenge? I've dropped out on making a costume as it was taking too much time away from my main goals, but I will continue to do the contest part for the group if anyone is still interested...

We don't do halloween over here, but our Nanowrimo kick-off is on the 31st, and apparently some are going in costume. A complete costume is impossible for me but I think a Viking helmet (one of Nano's symbols) will look good.

I'm looking over my progress so far this challenge and the other two I've done and am seeing some definite patterns. Weeks three and four are tough, and I spend a lot of the last two weeks trying to undo damage from mid-challenge slumps. This seems to happen to a lot of other people, as well.

What would happen if the challenges were for just four weeks? I think I could maintain momentum much better over the shorter time frame and the learning from faster iterations should build, too. I know that four week challenges were used early on, but were then changed to six weeks. Not sure why and I couldn't seem to find the answer on the forums, though I'm sure it must be out there somewhere. Does anybody know?

Anyway, I'm thinking of building in some sort of goalposts at week four next time to see if I can power through weeks 3 and 4 any better. Then reset for the final two weeks. Maybe that will get me through it.

Slump? What is that? 

I think six weeks is better than four. It is a bit more challenging, but also give people some time to recover if they hit a slump.

Unexpected resistance to evil foods and sticking to Paleo (except for holidays last week.. oops). Still, I didn't think I could make a few days with 100% Paleo and here I was, going for 13 days without cheating.

I started being afraid to go do my barbell training because I'm scared of all the big guys in my gym. It's so odd.

Have those things been what you expected them to be, or has the challenge surprised you?
This challenge surprised me a lot! I think you guys have a lot to do with this.

I can push myself so much more than I though I could.

What have you learned that will help you reach the finish line in just five days?
Build momentum - then it gets easy.

I hope at least some of you would like to stick together for the next challenge!

I am thinking about all those, the finish line I will cross, my dignity still intact.

We don't do halloween over here, but our Nanowrimo kick-off is on the 31st, and apparently some are going in costume. A complete costume is impossible for me but I think a Viking helmet (one of Nano's symbols) will look good.

Slump? What is that? 

I think six weeks is better than four. It is a bit more challenging, but also give people some time to recover if they hit a slump.

I like the Viking helmet! I hadn't looked at the six week time frame like that, but it makes sense. I think I just need to build in a few more milestones/deadlines throughout the challenge and I should be able to keep going through the middle better next time.

Unexpected resistance to evil foods and sticking to Paleo (except for holidays last week.. oops). Still, I didn't think I could make a few days with 100% Paleo and here I was, going for 13 days without cheating.

I started being afraid to go do my barbell training because I'm scared of all the big guys in my gym. It's so odd.

This challenge surprised me a lot! I think you guys have a lot to do with this.

I can push myself so much more than I though I could.

Build momentum - then it gets easy.

I hope at least some of you would like to stick together for the next challenge!

You've been doing great! I'm especially impressed with how you've done on the paleo and the kettlebells.

I'd like to stick together for the next round, too.

Just realizing that I was working towards something improbable, difficult, expensive especially with mistakes, and inadvisable to solo.

The inertia of spending so much time ready to do something that I didn't know how to do.

I probably should have expected what happened.

Think smaller.  Always think smaller.

I'll be lucky to be on my feet by the next challenge.

I do have an idea if the Renaissance Rebels stay together.  Apply this meme to whatever your discipline is.

before_and_after_meme_by_deepblueskies-d

Ok, balance. First of all, I think I know what has been my mistake. The mistake of my whole life: I've been always doing things for "others" (my schoolmates, my girlfriend, the person I love but doesn't know I exist because "I am fat" and a long etc.). That creates me so much anxiety and it's stupid. I shouldn't do anything because of others but because of me. And I'm going to focus the next week in searching of what is what I WANT TO do with my life for the next challenge (I, only I).

Once sayd this...

Coffee challenge. But I'm really happy with the exercise thing. I am addict to sport, and I think it has been unbelieveable a 1-2 years ago.

I am a caffeine addict and it was hard. But I think the hardest thing was waking up early, without coffee in order to study about Ancient Greece.

I sayd on the first one. I realized I really am a sport-girl.

That I am focusing on the wrong thing.

But... I didn't do so well with the diet :(

(...)

Great meme, Gobnait!

I understand you so well. I think my challenge was too much, too (part of it, at least). I'm sure that we have learned the lesson, and the next time we will take it easy and smaller steps (I will be help with it, and if you think you will need too, we are here).

Just finished my final workout of the challenge (9:00 pm my time) and my final recipe - "primal" vanilla ice cream - is in the freezer to finish setting up so I can have some before bedtime tonight. So, while I wait, I thought I'd check in and say:

Great Challenge, Renaissance Rebels!

Let's do this again!

I plan to post comments on everyone's threads and a complete wrap-up on my personal challenge thread after I do my final weigh-in and measurements tomorrow morning. My preliminary assessment is that I earned a solid B across the board. If I had been a bit more temperate in my initial goal setting, I might have hit A's, but I'm happy with what I accomplished. This has been a much better challenge for me than my first two and I attribute an awful lot of that to the support and inspiration this group has provided!

You did a really good challenge, Lt_Laurel, even if your personal score is a B (I think I got a C I don't blame myself about that). You have been active during all the challenge, keeping an eye over us and supporting as much as you can. That's more important than the challenge per se, and you did very well in both scenarios, so congratulations and thank you.

We should starting to think what to do for the next challenge.

You did a really good challenge, Lt_Laurel, even if your personal score is a B (I think I got a C I don't blame myself about that). You have been active during all the challenge, keeping an eye over us and supporting as much as you can. That's more important than the challenge per se, and you did very well in both scenarios, so congratulations and thank you.

We should starting to think what to do for the next challenge.

Thanks, Daggart! And nothing wrong with a C, the big thing is that you finished it, despite your injury. My last challenge was a C and what I learned from it led directly to doing much better on this challenge.

I've been thinking about my personal goals and have decided that they will stay much the same as the last two challenges. I also considered changing guilds, but Ranger still fits the best.

I'm not sure about goals for the group, other than to keep the helpful, friendly atmosphere and encourage creativity. Those are very general, though. I really like Gobnait's meme, too. That should definitely be built into the structure. I'm wondering if it would be good to choose a theme or special focus of some kind? Or maybe have a group storyline or some activity where we would accumulate points/mileage/something we could track and contribute to as a group? Maybe everyone could track their creative project's minutes and we could keep a running tally to see just how high we could go as a group? If we're feeling more competitive, we could initiate some kind of player vs. player challenge, say throw down the gauntlet to the other accountabilibuddy squads to best us at something? I don't know...

These are just some random ideas. I'm hoping that they will spark some discussion and get everyone thinking. One of the things I really enjoyed about the group has been how people would jump in and riff off of what someone else said or did. It was all very positive and generated more good ideas than any one of us could have done on our own.

Just for fun, here are some or my creations:

elk%252C-pencil.jpg

Elk - pencil on paper

prickly-pear%252C-wcolor-%2526-ink.jpg

Prickly Pear Cactus - watercolor and ink on paper

kestrel%252C-gouache.jpg

Kestrel - gouache on paper

Music demo samples

http://www.musicbyariel.com/sites/musicbyariel.com/files/audio/tempestad.mp3

"Tempestad" - Guitar solo

http://www.musicbyariel.com/sites/musicbyariel.com/files/audio/she_moved_through_the_fair.mp3

"She Moved Through the Fair" - Harp and voice

http://www.musicbyariel.com/sites/musicbyariel.com/files/audio/the_fairy_queen.mp3

"The Fairy Queen" - Harp solo

(I've tried to fix this so it has the player, but no luck. Can't figure out what's different...)

These are pre-challenge - will post some from this challenge as I put on the finishing touches.

Edited by Lt_Laurel