• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hey everyone! Blaidd mentioned you had this group going on, and I'm starting my Whole 30 challenge tomorrow! So excited to join and see what tips you have up your collective sleeves, and also to give and receive support! 

Devyn, great to see you've done this before and have done a ton of research. I've looked at it online, and I'm picking up the book from the library holdshelf tonight. (Just came in! Perfect timing!) But I know I can use some BEEN THERE wisdom :)

Jonsey, I also have a killer sweet-tooth (my soft-spot is homemade cookies). But that Pumpkin & Butter Mochi? I'm putting that on my after-30 list...

I love cooking, so this feels like a new adventure. Simultaneously, I'm trying to cut down on cooking weeknights, as I tend to make it overly (see: unnecessarily) time consuming. My first-ever slow cooker arrives next week! Stoked to try it out.

After the challenge I'm going to be testing for food sensitivities, and I've got a couple minor, more restrictive variations to the challenge to prep for that. Those include no vinegar (so that includes pre-prepped mustard, etc.), no nightshades, and I'll be phasing out coffee a couple of weeks in... Eek. I need to, but I lurve coffee so, so much. Thankfully, I also love tea.

Excited to see where this challenge leads!!!

Welcome, AgentKatia!  

Wow!  I will try to help, but it looks like your version of Whole30 makes me look like I had it easy!  Good luck!  We're here if you need anything!

Welcome AgentKatia!  

I LOVE coffee as well! Ok I mean I LOVE coffee but with tons of creamer and sugar so I'm cutting it out as well for the next 30 days. it's already rough and I'm only on day 4 but I KNOW it will get better so I know you can do it too! :)

So I am still trying to remain as close to whole 30 as I can for everyday stuff.

Do you guys have any recipes for salad dressings you like, or what about a BBQ Sauce?

I have made a couple of dressings.  My last one was decent.  Just figured I would try a few different things out there.  I'd like to over roast some bbq chicken breasts, or have the sauce for dipping.  I just have to find the right one ;)

So I am still trying to remain as close to whole 30 as I can for everyday stuff.

Do you guys have any recipes for salad dressings you like, or what about a BBQ Sauce?

I have made a couple of dressings.  My last one was decent.  Just figured I would try a few different things out there.  I'd like to over roast some bbq chicken breasts, or have the sauce for dipping.  I just have to find the right one ;)

If you can, get Well Fed.  It has loads of Whole30 approved (and sanctioned) sauces including salad dressings and BBQ Sauce. I don't really do BBQ sauce so I don't know about that and I love oil and vinegar for my salads, so I can't help you but that book can. It's free if you have Amazon Prime.

Also, if you want some other awesome recipes, check out my Pinterest Whole30 board.

Edit: I found some of the same recipes from Well Fed on the author's website. If you scroll down, there's a section for spices and sauces - many are Whole30 compliant.

Devyn! Ha, I doubt Whole 30 is EVER easy? I kinda feel like if I'm going this far, it's really not that much farther, ya know? 

Jonsey! Glad to know we're in that coffee thing together :)

Tateman! Can you tell me what Whole 30 bbq sauce you've tried and not liked? I have a personal non-paleo recipe that I think I can easily alter to make Whole 30-friendly. But I wanted to see what you have in mind first ;) What did you like before you went Paleo? BBQ means different things to different folks!

I second Well Fed. I preordered Well Fed 2.

I hope you guys don't mind if I join. *Waves* I am on my 3rd whole 30 this time once it is done switching to paleo with a goal of 90%. Mine ends on Oct 2nd, not sure what day I am on cause counting was making me a little crazy.

Jonesy: Ditching Lattes was super hard. I switched to unsweeted ice tea so I still go on 'coffee' runs in the morning with coworkers.

If you can, get Well Fed.  It has loads of Whole30 approved (and sanctioned) sauces including salad dressings and BBQ Sauce. I don't really do BBQ sauce so I don't know about that and I love oil and vinegar for my salads, so I can't help you but that book can. It's free if you have Amazon Prime.

Also, if you want some other awesome recipes, check out my Pinterest Whole30 board.

Edit: I found some of the same recipes from Well Fed on the author's website. If you scroll down, there's a section for spices and sauces - many are Whole30 compliant.

Thanks, I have seen a few things around.  I probably should pick up that cookbook.  I'm starting to think I need to find ways to switch my whole family over to a closer paleo whole 30 type way of eating.

Tateman! Can you tell me what Whole 30 bbq sauce you've tried and not liked? I have a personal non-paleo recipe that I think I can easily alter to make Whole 30-friendly. But I wanted to see what you have in mind first ;) What did you like before you went Paleo? BBQ means different things to different folks!

Well, stuff I use to eat would be similar to this http://www.kcmasterpiece.com/bbq_original/

this last week we made a BBQ Shredded Beef base off this shredded pork recipe http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/05/pulled-pork-with-no-sugar-added-bbq.html  It tastes ok, but the sauce really turned out to just tast like tomate sauce from the can.  We didn't add the pineapples, but everything else is pretty much in there.

I've seen these

http://recipewarrior.com/sauces/whole30-bbq-sauce/

http://hollywouldifshecould.net/2012/09/slow-cooker-baby-back-ribs-paleo-bbq-sauce/

http://fudielalu.blogspot.com/2012/08/pulled-pork-in-bbq-sauce-day-13-meal-3.html (this one is the one in the Whole 30 book)

I just haven't tried them yet.

Yeah, you guys make good points. I LOVE this meal. It is only organic sweet potato, organic sugar-free bacon, and pastured organic eggs. I eat that almost daily and it's around 350kcals (if you care about that stuff, which on Whole30, you shouldn't) but yeah, probably the psychological trigger that it IS bad for me since it's SO good. I'm still waiting for them to tell me that black pepper is bad for you since I put a ton of that stuff on just about everything I eat. It's hard to believe something can be good for me and taste that awesome.

I do think it's a psychological thing. I think it's kinda been drilled into us that good diets don't always have good tasting foods (listening to other people talk about their various diets) or some other thing that we just expect food that tastes good to be bad.  I find good food to taste way better :)

Hey everyone! Blaidd mentioned you had this group going on, and I'm starting my Whole 30 challenge tomorrow! So excited to join and see what tips you have up your collective sleeves, and also to give and receive support! 

Devyn, great to see you've done this before and have done a ton of research. I've looked at it online, and I'm picking up the book from the library holdshelf tonight. (Just came in! Perfect timing!) But I know I can use some BEEN THERE wisdom :)

Jonsey, I also have a killer sweet-tooth (my soft-spot is homemade cookies). But that Pumpkin & Butter Mochi? I'm putting that on my after-30 list...

I love cooking, so this feels like a new adventure. Simultaneously, I'm trying to cut down on cooking weeknights, as I tend to make it overly (see: unnecessarily) time consuming. My first-ever slow cooker arrives next week! Stoked to try it out.

After the challenge I'm going to be testing for food sensitivities, and I've got a couple minor, more restrictive variations to the challenge to prep for that. Those include no vinegar (so that includes pre-prepped mustard, etc.), no nightshades, and I'll be phasing out coffee a couple of weeks in... Eek. I need to, but I lurve coffee so, so much. Thankfully, I also love tea.

Excited to see where this challenge leads!!!

Welcome Katia.  I love cooking too (but have days where i don't want to cook so i'm grateful for leftovers), but i never spend more than an hour in the kitchen making dinner - i just don't find that much time worth the final product. I do a crockpot meal only once a week though :)

Good luck with your whole30, we're here when you need a chat.

I second Well Fed. I preordered Well Fed 2.

I hope you guys don't mind if I join. *Waves* I am on my 3rd whole 30 this time once it is done switching to paleo with a goal of 90%. Mine ends on Oct 2nd, not sure what day I am on cause counting was making me a little crazy.

Jonesy: Ditching Lattes was super hard. I switched to unsweeted ice tea so I still go on 'coffee' runs in the morning with coworkers.

welcome Tonic.  3rd time, huh?!  You're a hero.  You and Devyn both.

Thanks for the welcome everyone :) (sorry for the late reply, wasn't getting updates sent to my email for some reason).

That pulled pork recipe looks delicious! I don't have a problem with coffee (never drink the stuff as it tends to make me feel sick) and pop (gave it up years ago). The one thing I DO have issues with was Mio. I have no idea how good it is really, the label shows zeros all through, except they don't list sugar on there. It shows it's sweetened with sucralose and acesulfame potassium. It doesn't sound like something that should be in a drink, but I drink way too much of it. I cut back a lot from my first challenge.

Well, stuff I use to eat would be similar to this http://www.kcmasterpiece.com/bbq_original/

this last week we made a BBQ Shredded Beef base off this shredded pork recipe http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/05/pulled-pork-with-no-sugar-added-bbq.html  It tastes ok, but the sauce really turned out to just tast like tomate sauce from the can.  We didn't add the pineapples, but everything else is pretty much in there.

I've seen these

http://recipewarrior.com/sauces/whole30-bbq-sauce/

http://hollywouldifshecould.net/2012/09/slow-cooker-baby-back-ribs-paleo-bbq-sauce/

http://fudielalu.blogspot.com/2012/08/pulled-pork-in-bbq-sauce-day-13-meal-3.html (this one is the one in the Whole 30 book)

I just haven't tried them yet.

Hmm. Well, while several of those look really tasty, reading the recipes, none of those will emulate KC Masterpiece. Two main characteristics of Kansas City BBQ are that it is a thick, sweet sauce – usually made with brown sugar and molasses. I think you can Whole30 it by using date paste instead (thanks Blaidd!), but I couldn't find a recipe that I think is worth recommending. I have an idea (a paleo KC modification of the Texas-style sauce I make), but I can't give it a test-run for you because it includes vinegar (which I'm not eating this challenge). But! In 30 days I'll try it out ;) Let me know what you find in the meantime!

Welcome Katia.  I love cooking too (but have days where i don't want to cook so i'm grateful for leftovers), but i never spend more than an hour in the kitchen making dinner - i just don't find that much time worth the final product. I do a crockpot meal only once a week though :)

Good luck with your whole30, we're here when you need a chat.

Thanks Blaidd! Would love to see some of your crockpot recipes when you have a moment (ha! free time). I appreciate the support!

Thanks for the welcome everyone :) (sorry for the late reply, wasn't getting updates sent to my email for some reason).

That pulled pork recipe looks delicious! I don't have a problem with coffee (never drink the stuff as it tends to make me feel sick) and pop (gave it up years ago). The one thing I DO have issues with was Mio. I have no idea how good it is really, the label shows zeros all through, except they don't list sugar on there. It shows it's sweetened with sucralose and acesulfame potassium. It doesn't sound like something that should be in a drink, but I drink way too much of it. I cut back a lot from my first challenge.

Hi WW! Great work cutting back on Mio! I just started reading It Starts with Food and there's a whole section on chemical sweeteners. I think you're wise to continue reducing/eliminating it :) Admittedly, I'm strangely jealous that coffee makes you feel sick... I do okay not drinking cokes, but coffee, man... I'm seriously dreading the day I give it up. 

In coffee-related news, I used coconut milk in my coffee this morning and didn't hate it. Not my new favorite thing, but it was palatable enough. I'm going to try homemade almond milk tomorrow.

Thanks Blaidd! Would love to see some of your crockpot recipes when you have a moment (ha! free time). I appreciate the support!

There's a link in my signature to my "primal" blog and you can pick up some really easy recipes there.  if you give me til the end of tomorrow (I hope) then i will have updated with the first 10 days worth of recipes (at least) for Whole30 :)

Hmm. Well, while several of those look really tasty, reading the recipes, none of those will emulate KC Masterpiece. Two main characteristics of Kansas City BBQ are that it is a thick, sweet sauce – usually made with brown sugar and molasses. I think you can Whole30 it by using date paste instead (thanks Blaidd!), but I couldn't find a recipe that I think is worth recommending. I have an idea (a paleo KC modification of the Texas-style sauce I make), but I can't give it a test-run for you because it includes vinegar (which I'm not eating this challenge). But! In 30 days I'll try it out ;) Let me know what you find in the meantime!

As a native Texan, I am interested in your Texas BBQ recipe.

I want BBQ so bad right now. Maybe for sunday dinner, BBQ chicken legs. Mmmm...

@Bamccorkle Contrats! Don't give up now! You are doing so well. I am one day behind you. We can do it!

On the coffee note I tried doing almond milk latte's big mistake. Just a warning. Maybe with coconut milk but do it iced... hmmm...

The bulletproof coffee thing is really going around just now.  I think you need to whizz it in a mixer or similar to make it frothy.

I personally just love the taste of coconut milk in coffee, just need to limit it to one a day.  Mind you, having said that, I was really good during the last Whole 30 and cut out coffee at the start, and it kind of lost it´s apeal after that.  So one or 2 cups before lunch is enough for me.    

I just need to focus on drinking loads of water instead!

I've heard about the butter in coffee but just like tonic, I don't think I could drink it. I used to add unsweetened almond/coconut milk to my coffee but without a sweetener, it's just gross to me. 

Wow, so for whatever reason, I thought that I wouldn't be affected by the "side effects" of the Whole 30... ya know, because I'm invincible and all. But damn. Half way through today (just day 3...) and I'm feeling the hangover! Here's hoping for my coworkers' sakes I'm not The Meanest Person Evar tomorrow... It's good to know that might be coming though, so I can check myself. 

Tateman, of course I didn't SAVE any of those recipes I looked at. HA. I'll do some research later today or tomorrow :)

Blaidd, I'm stoked to try your recipe for cashew chicken!!! I'd actually added that to my list of things to make already ;)

Devyn, yay Texans! I'm a native Texan too. Awesome! Born and raised in Dallas, but I live in San Francisco now (my parents and lots of fam are in Dallas though, so I still get to eat good bbq a few times a year ;)). Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? My recipe is actually really similar to this one, but I put in a tablespoon of molasses instead of sugar, some extra onion and garlic, and a little cayenne instead of chili powder (or maybe cayenne and chili powder?). Do you have a recipe you like?

Hi Bamccorkle! So, I'm VERY impressed!!! Congrats on day 20, well, day 21 now!!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

All of this talk about various fats in coffee has me interested... but I actually prefer not-so-fat "creamer" (I go heavy on the 1% milk), so I'm curious how other fats would taste. I did almond milk over the weekend, and I prefer it to coconut milk, but I think either will do the trick for me.

Do any of you have a store-bought brand of almond milk that is literally just almonds and water? I'm making mine, but I'd honestly rather be lazy.

Can't help you there I stay away from almond milk. The only milk I like is in lattes and as mentioned I tried that once, it didn't work out. Dairy tends to just attack me so I try to stay away, some cheeses are okay but unless I really want it I don't bother. The mood swings can be a killer, remember deep breaths and try to take a moment to think before you speak. I got really snapping this go around at different points. It does get better. I have had great moments of strength aka tiger blood that have let me pump out awesome workouts. I am not longer craving sugar anymore. I do want sushi wicked bad, but that will be a treat afterwards.

I am hoping only the good is left. I am finishing day 20 so it would be nice to just feeling awesome from here on out.

AgentKatia, I have not found any almond milk that has JUST almonds and water, nothing. :(

I hope the first week went well for everyone! Let's carry the awesome forward onto week 2!

Wow, so for whatever reason, I thought that I wouldn't be affected by the "side effects" of the Whole 30... ya know, because I'm invincible and all. But damn. Half way through today (just day 3...) and I'm feeling the hangover! Here's hoping for my coworkers' sakes I'm not The Meanest Person Evar tomorrow... It's good to know that might be coming though, so I can check myself. 

Tateman, of course I didn't SAVE any of those recipes I looked at. HA. I'll do some research later today or tomorrow :)

Blaidd, I'm stoked to try your recipe for cashew chicken!!! I'd actually added that to my list of things to make already ;)

Devyn, yay Texans! I'm a native Texan too. Awesome! Born and raised in Dallas, but I live in San Francisco now (my parents and lots of fam are in Dallas though, so I still get to eat good bbq a few times a year ;)). Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? My recipe is actually really similar to this one, but I put in a tablespoon of molasses instead of sugar, some extra onion and garlic, and a little cayenne instead of chili powder (or maybe cayenne and chili powder?). Do you have a recipe you like?

Hi Bamccorkle! So, I'm VERY impressed!!! Congrats on day 20, well, day 21 now!!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

All of this talk about various fats in coffee has me interested... but I actually prefer not-so-fat "creamer" (I go heavy on the 1% milk), so I'm curious how other fats would taste. I did almond milk over the weekend, and I prefer it to coconut milk, but I think either will do the trick for me.

Do any of you have a store-bought brand of almond milk that is literally just almonds and water? I'm making mine, but I'd honestly rather be lazy.

If i can give you some advice for the mood swing days - do something that you really like doing or eat something that's really nice (but still in Whole30) - a butternut "lasagne" would do nicely.  Do something that elevates your mood.

Can't help you there I stay away from almond milk. The only milk I like is in lattes and as mentioned I tried that once, it didn't work out. Dairy tends to just attack me so I try to stay away, some cheeses are okay but unless I really want it I don't bother. The mood swings can be a killer, remember deep breaths and try to take a moment to think before you speak. I got really snapping this go around at different points. It does get better. I have had great moments of strength aka tiger blood that have let me pump out awesome workouts. I am not longer craving sugar anymore. I do want sushi wicked bad, but that will be a treat afterwards.

I am hoping only the good is left. I am finishing day 20 so it would be nice to just feeling awesome from here on out.

I had sushi last week, but had a sushi salad instead of california rolls (and it was awesome).