So it turns out there are a lot of people starting their Whole30 this challenge.  I am personally on day 13 (today) and will be on day 15 on the first day of the challenge.  So I thought I'd start a support group for those just starting out and those who are somewhere else in their Whole30.  We can share war stories and offer support.  And even offer recipes and tricks and tips on where we've gotten so far.

Don't forget to sign up on the spreadsheet, here.

Members:

Blaidd

Devyn

Jonesy

PaleoIsh

WritingWeaver

AgentKatia

Tonic

Welcome ladies!

This is my 5th time doing Whole30, but I find it easier when I have support.  I'm on day 9, but I plan to keep going the whole challenge.

WOW!!  5th time!  You're like my hero!  I found this time was way easier than the last time round and honestly I haven't struggled as much as the timeline and boards said i would.  I was actually quite surprised because I really was anticipating it.

your wisdom will most definitely be valued!

I'd love to join this group. My first Whole30 day will be on Monday and I'm a little scared/nervous/excited!

I remember that feeling.  It soon subsides!  I found the thing that has made me stay on track is to have a plan and then to have 2 backup plans.  I have little snack bags everywhere (of trail mix that i make myself - nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and other homemade dried  fruit).  I'm in the process of posting my recipes and meals on my primal blog so if you ever run out of ideas you're welcome to check that out. 

Also i post my weekly meal plans in my battle log (and will do so in my challenge thread too).

I'm happy to help!  I have read all the materials and have a lot of experience. But it's still nice to have some people to be supportive because even after all this time, I'm still a junk food junkie. Although I am better than I used to be so it's working!  

If I had to give any advice, I'd say keep it simple. Save the fancy things (like paleo pad thai!) for the weekends and stick to things like chili, chicken breasts, stir fry for the weekdays. And if you can, bulk prep. It makes it so much easier!

Welcome ladies!

WOW!!  5th time!  You're like my hero!  I found this time was way easier than the last time round and honestly I haven't struggled as much as the timeline and boards said i would.  I was actually quite surprised because I really was anticipating it.

your wisdom will most definitely be valued!

I remember that feeling.  It soon subsides!  I found the thing that has made me stay on track is to have a plan and then to have 2 backup plans.  I have little snack bags everywhere (of trail mix that i make myself - nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and other homemade dried  fruit).  I'm in the process of posting my recipes and meals on my primal blog so if you ever run out of ideas you're welcome to check that out. 

Also i post my weekly meal plans in my battle log (and will do so in my challenge thread too).

Yay! I've been looking for more recipe ideas and the snack bags are a great idea! I currently have a whole months Plan A worth of 3 meals a day planned. My plan B is chicken breasts and a random veggie. Lol.  I was thinking of posting my week meals & shopping list in my challenge thread as a reminder to myself. 

My first meal of my first Whole30 day was...not what I had in mind. The homemade sausage from PaleOMG.com was tasty but I felt like I needed a dipping sauce...I love sauces so that is not a surprise. Also tried plantains for the first time ever and they were gross. My fault though for not buying them earlier to let them turn black. If you like thick potato chips, that's exactly what they tasted like, bland thick potato chips! 

My first meal of my first Whole30 day was...not what I had in mind. The homemade sausage from PaleOMG.com was tasty but I felt like I needed a dipping sauce...I love sauces so that is not a surprise. Also tried plantains for the first time ever and they were gross. My fault though for not buying them earlier to let them turn black. If you like thick potato chips, that's exactly what they tasted like, bland thick potato chips! 

Can you link the sausage recipe?  I was thinking of trying it. I don't normally like sausage though. Yeah, plantains are gross unless you sweeten them.  I usually fry them in honey and then eat them with sour cream. Obviously you can't do that with Whole30, though.

Where are you finding ground pork without sugar? For some reason all pork products seem to have sugar in them. I have no idea why.

I grind my own meat, that way i know there isn't any other crap in it :)

Hi there, 

I as still working on the text for my challenge, but it will be Whole 30 for 42 days!  Did this last time (got to day 32 before I goofed)  Felt great, so want to get there again.

Welcome :)

uh, i wasn't thinking and had one strand of tagliateli last night - did i break my whole30?  I was straining it when i popped one into my mouth (as i normally do when checking the "el dente").  EEPPP!!!

Otherwise for dinner I made an amazing "butternut lassagne".  Basically I shaved a butternut with my veggie peeler and then alternated layers of ostrich mince, homemade tomato sauce (not the ketchup kind) and butternut shavings.  Instead of finishing it off with some cheese (cos although it's allowed in primal, it's a no no on Whole30), i made a little egg custard as a topping to create the same look.  It was delicious and i'm a little sad that my portion sizes have just naturally shrunk cos old me would devoured at least 3 helpings of that :)

I'm going to go with no you didn't break your Whole30, if it was just a strand on accident. Now if it was an "accident" and your mouth just happened to be there to catch it, then maybe. Lol. But in your case, I think you are ok. Mmm butternut lassagne sounds amazing! Your meals sound so good, I'm jealous of your cooking ability. 

I tried/made fruited chicken thigh's last night and they were pretty good, nice and juicy. I really dislike cutting up onions though. They add such good flavor to meals that I'm starting to not mind but that also might be because they add a sweet taste to things and that's what I'm craving... I also accidentally burnt my green beans last night, who burns green beans?? So that sucked but I was baking sweet potatoes for today's' breakfast and decide to halve one of my sweet potatoes and use that for dinner, life saver! 

I take less than 30 seconds to cut onions. Literally cut them in half and slice with rings then slice against the ring (hold it all together).  You could always just buy a chopper ;)  Onion is a fantastic addition to meals, i'll braise them as a start to a meal in my non stick pots without using oil - it has juice to use to cook with. I've been cooking since i was 6 (made dad was a chef and my gran was a baker), so i'm always a little more adventurous in the kitchen.

That sounds amazing guys!  I will have to try that at some point.  MMM thinking about it already.

I'm going down to Cafe Express tonight and was wondering if you guys have been there and if you know of the best Whole30 meal to have there that's not salad. I can figure it out, but I'm just asking if anyone else has had any experience there as a Whole30er.