• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

As a South African, I'm going to have to say that i can't help you.  Sorry

Maybe grilled fish without the sauce and ask them to steam your veggies?

Hi there everyone, glad to see all the support in this group! I've started my Paleo adventure last week for the second time (last time I was on it for months then slipped). I get home early from classes this term so I am able to cook supper which means the rest of my family is eating healthy too, or at least a healthy dinner. I have to say, besides cookies, the thing I miss most is sandwiches. Yes I know lettuce wraps are yummy but if anyone has any suggestions on sandwiches or how to make tuna salad right please let me know :) Other than that, glad to be here.

Devyn, hope you found something paleo friendly for dinner.

Hi there everyone, glad to see all the support in this group! I've started my Paleo adventure last week for the second time (last time I was on it for months then slipped). I get home early from classes this term so I am able to cook supper which means the rest of my family is eating healthy too, or at least a healthy dinner. I have to say, besides cookies, the thing I miss most is sandwiches. Yes I know lettuce wraps are yummy but if anyone has any suggestions on sandwiches or how to make tuna salad right please let me know :) Other than that, glad to be here.

Devyn, hope you found something paleo friendly for dinner.

Welcome :)

If you're really craving a sammich, you could always use a savoury paleo flapjack/pancake recipe.  I do that - layers of pancakes and smoked chicken/salmon/beef with thin sliced avo, onion and even lettuce etc.  I also make sweetpotato or cauliflower "cakes" and use those as buns for hamburgers etc.  Makes it more fun :)  I should take make one and take a pic of it when i'm done with Whole30.

From the Whole9 website:

9d3f3d4660960cc7c85d5189e9a1131a.jpg

If you're just doing Paleo stuff, pancakes are fine, but if you're doing Whole30 - NO PANCAKES!!  Even if they are awesome and made from just bananas and eggs.  (of course, you do what you want in the end, I'm just conveying the spirit of the Whole30)

WritingWeaver, welcome! And thank you, I had a burger with veggies and bacon and it was grand.

So I'm hosting a craft night tonight for a few friends and one is bringing Pumpkin & Butter Mochi. If you have never had it, i'm sorry because it's DELICIOUS! The problem is that it's not really Whole30 friendly (sugar, butter, rice flour and extracts). Anyone have a tip to help combat my urge to have just 1? I'm bringing dinner with me and some raisins/cashews but since this is only day 3, I'm not sure if that will be enough. 

This recipe.  Bring some for yourself (fine, share if you must).  It might not taste the same, but it might just help your cravings.  I made this and ate half the batch in one sitting and was stuffed! 

If only I had time to make that, I'm going right after work. Also, shouldn't I not eat that for the same reasons not to eat paleo pancakes? :( I miss my sugar!

If only I had time to make that, I'm going right after work. Also, shouldn't I not eat that for the same reasons not to eat paleo pancakes? :( I miss my sugar!

That depends. These are made with vegetables and aren't overly sweet. I use it as a post workout snack. However, if you think you have an issue with things like this type of food, then yes, they're bad for you.  I only eat these things on occasion. It's a very tricky thing.  

Anyway, just eat your own food when you're there.  And keep in mind that if you eat one of those pumpkin thingies, I'll be really disappoint. 

oh-lord-no.gif

From the Whole9 website:

9d3f3d4660960cc7c85d5189e9a1131a.jpg

If you're just doing Paleo stuff, pancakes are fine, but if you're doing Whole30 - NO PANCAKES!!  Even if they are awesome and made from just bananas and eggs.  (of course, you do what you want in the end, I'm just conveying the spirit of the Whole30)

WritingWeaver, welcome! And thank you, I had a burger with veggies and bacon and it was grand.

Oh yeah i totally agree (that's why i said i should make it *after* whole30 - although my dialect is a little weird ;) ) So WW, it's only if you're not doing Whole30 :)

This recipe.  Bring some for yourself (fine, share if you must).  It might not taste the same, but it might just help your cravings.  I made this and ate half the batch in one sitting and was stuffed! 

OMG that looks divine! Wish we got nice pumpkin here.

You could eat before you get there.  Maybe if you're full when you get there you won't be tempted to eat it?

You could eat before you get there.  Maybe if you're full when you get there you won't be tempted to eat it?

I think eating while you're there might be better (of course, this is totally my opinion with no disrespect to Blaidd's suggestion which is just as valid as mine) to eat while you're there so that you're already eating something. You won't be as tempted when you're hands and mouth are busy eating nummy healthy food.

I think eating while you're there might be better (of course, this is totally my opinion with no disrespect to Blaidd's suggestion which is just as valid as mine) to eat while you're there so that you're already eating something. You won't be as tempted when you're hands and mouth are busy eating nummy healthy food.

Totally good point. I didn't even think of it that way! Take Devyn's advice! She's got a much better idea!  Also thinking about it, it also means that you're cultivating an attitude towards food - eating healthy foods with your friends, will encourage you to keep going too :)

So I'm hosting a craft night tonight for a few friends and one is bringing Pumpkin & Butter Mochi. If you have never had it, i'm sorry because it's DELICIOUS! The problem is that it's not really Whole30 friendly (sugar, butter, rice flour and extracts). Anyone have a tip to help combat my urge to have just 1? I'm bringing dinner with me and some raisins/cashews but since this is only day 3, I'm not sure if that will be enough. 

Have your water with you.  Each time you think you want a piece, take a drink. :)  Or try to convince yourself that you can have it, just not now.  Like Hmm, that sure looks great.  I'll have it when I am done with my whole 30.  Try to trick your brain to thinking you will have it again, just not now.  I have told myself that for a few things.

Have your water with you.  Each time you think you want a piece, take a drink. :)  Or try to convince yourself that you can have it, just not now.  Like Hmm, that sure looks great.  I'll have it when I am done with my whole 30.  Try to trick your brain to thinking you will have it again, just not now.  I have told myself that for a few things.

Thank you all! 

I would eat before if I didn't have a tendency to make exceptions for treats when full. I have a pretty horrible relationship with food and have, many times, eaten until sick because I wanted to have [insert unhealthy sugar treat]. If I had a better control on this I would just eat first. I would love to be able to do this but I think i have a long ways out until I'm that in control. I'll most likely be combining what Devyn & Tateman said. Heck I'm already telling myself I'll do happy hour at the Melting Pot get a latte Starbucks and  go to the secret garden tea room once this 30 days is up. 

Guess I'm going to have to focus on actual crafting tonight instead of snacking! :)

Yeah, being full is no issue for me when it comes to sweets, so I give my advice out of experience. If I'm already chewing on something yummy, I'm less likely to shove a cake down my throat. However, I swear I have an extra stomach made especially for desserts, so eating before makes no difference for me.

My new favorite: Baked sweet potato topped with 2 bacons and 2 eggs. I can't stop eating this meal. Like every day. I know it fits within the rules of Whole30 quite well, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something bad.

Yeah, being full is no issue for me when it comes to sweets, so I give my advice out of experience. If I'm already chewing on something yummy, I'm less likely to shove a cake down my throat. However, I swear I have an extra stomach made especially for desserts, so eating before makes no difference for me.

Haha maybe that's what it is, 2 stomachs. 

Yeah, I have never had a problem being full, yet still wanting to eat stuff.

i don't know why i don't have that problem - what i do know is that if i eat in a chain smoking kinda way (and don't give my body time to tell me that it's done) then i can pack away a lot of food.  But often, no matter where i am, dessert always comes 10 - 15min later (at its fastest) which gives my body plenty of time to say, no thank you. It also helps that i don't have a wicked sweet tooth.

My new favorite: Baked sweet potato topped with 2 bacons and 2 eggs. I can't stop eating this meal. Like every day. I know it fits within the rules of Whole30 quite well, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something bad.

Is it one of your meals?  Is it free of blegh stuff?  Cos then i don't see how it can be bad.  What it probably is, is a psychological trigger.  Your mind is telling you that you like it and you're eating it everyday - like you would candy or crisps or cake or whatever - so its automatic response, at this point, is that it's bad!  I think you just need to keep reminding yourself that it's not [insert "bad" crutch here] and that it's ok to eat this everyday.

i don't know why i don't have that problem - what i do know is that if i eat in a chain smoking kinda way (and don't give my body time to tell me that it's done) then i can pack away a lot of food.  But often, no matter where i am, dessert always comes 10 - 15min later (at its fastest) which gives my body plenty of time to say, no thank you. It also helps that i don't have a wicked sweet tooth.

Is it one of your meals?  Is it free of blegh stuff?  Cos then i don't see how it can be bad.  What it probably is, is a psychological trigger.  Your mind is telling you that you like it and you're eating it everyday - like you would candy or crisps or cake or whatever - so its automatic response, at this point, is that it's bad!  I think you just need to keep reminding yourself that it's not [insert "bad" crutch here] and that it's ok to eat this everyday.

I agree with Blaidd! I also tend to feel the same way about Sweet Potatoes in general, because I've always put them in with other potatoes. To be able to eat them everyday seems like it should be bad even though its not if you eat them without the not so healthy stuff. I also have a hard time reminding myself that eating bacon is ok, if it's the healthy kind, hell or eggs. I think this all steams from the people around me and their lack of knowledge about food or them just being judgmental. I went to a small organic/all natural store near me to look for bacon without sugar and boy did the lady give me such attitude. It's like I was asking for crack cocaine not a healthier bacon. 

Yeah, you guys make good points. I LOVE this meal. It is only organic sweet potato, organic sugar-free bacon, and pastured organic eggs. I eat that almost daily and it's around 350kcals (if you care about that stuff, which on Whole30, you shouldn't) but yeah, probably the psychological trigger that it IS bad for me since it's SO good. I'm still waiting for them to tell me that black pepper is bad for you since I put a ton of that stuff on just about everything I eat. It's hard to believe something can be good for me and taste that awesome.