• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tonic, congrats on hitting day 21!!! I hope for your sake it's all just an easy downhill from here too. And YES! Sushi! I'm actually going out to sushi Friday this week, but I think I'll just go with sashimi and lemon? Yum!!!

Jonesy, I've been really frustrated by my Quest of the Almond Milk. I thought I'd found one at Whole Foods, until I read the fine print underneath the *organic asterisk which read it contained less than 2% Carageen and like 3 other ingredients I couldn't have. Boo! It was seriously verging on false advertising... But then what food packaging isn't. Sad trombone. :/ But glad to see I'm not alone!

Blaidd, that is an excellent suggestion. I realized much later that I'd also gone too long between meals without noticing (it was a busy and distracting day). But I prepped a ton of food for the week, including a beef stew I'm particularly excited about. And a sushi salad is a fantastic idea! :)

I'm a little late to the game on joining a team, but I am a little over halfway through my first round of Whole30, so I thought this would be a great team to join!! I will read through the posts tonight after work!:)

Go team!

Wow, so for whatever reason, I thought that I wouldn't be affected by the "side effects" of the Whole 30... ya know, because I'm invincible and all. But damn. Half way through today (just day 3...) and I'm feeling the hangover! Here's hoping for my coworkers' sakes I'm not The Meanest Person Evar tomorrow... It's good to know that might be coming though, so I can check myself. 

Devyn, yay Texans! I'm a native Texan too. Awesome! Born and raised in Dallas, but I live in San Francisco now (my parents and lots of fam are in Dallas though, so I still get to eat good bbq a few times a year ;)). Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? My recipe is actually really similar to this one, but I put in a tablespoon of molasses instead of sugar, some extra onion and garlic, and a little cayenne instead of chili powder (or maybe cayenne and chili powder?). Do you have a recipe you like?

Yeah, side-effects will kick your ass.  I never suffered from the hangover phaze, but the napping one is blah for me. I'm not sure if the diet makes me more irritable in the beginning because I'm always irritable. I'm on day 18 now and I should be TIGER BLOOD but I'm still a bit tired. Mostly okay, though.

I'm from Houston, born and raised and now live there again. My second Texas home is San Antonio. I was hoping for a recipe that was Whole30. I'm afraid to try Whole30 BBQ sauce because I love my Texas BBQ and it really is based on sweet and smokey and not much else.

I'm a little late to the game on joining a team, but I am a little over halfway through my first round of Whole30, so I thought this would be a great team to join!! I will read through the posts tonight after work! :)

Go team!

Hi Photogrrl77! Welcome :)

Yeah, side-effects will kick your ass.  I never suffered from the hangover phaze, but the napping one is blah for me. I'm not sure if the diet makes me more irritable in the beginning because I'm always irritable. I'm on day 18 now and I should be TIGER BLOOD but I'm still a bit tired. Mostly okay, though.

I'm from Houston, born and raised and now live there again. My second Texas home is San Antonio. I was hoping for a recipe that was Whole30. I'm afraid to try Whole30 BBQ sauce because I love my Texas BBQ and it really is based on sweet and smokey and not much else.

Hope Tiger Blood kicks in for you soon! Oh, sorry!!! Jeeze that was a jerk move on my part. Totally thought you were generally asking. I can't experiment to Whole30-ify the sauce I make b/c I'm doing no vinegar right now, and it's way too vital to leave out ;) Lmk if you find something though!

Hope Tiger Blood kicks in for you soon! Oh, sorry!!! Jeeze that was a jerk move on my part. Totally thought you were generally asking. I can't experiment to Whole30-ify the sauce I make b/c I'm doing no vinegar right now, and it's way too vital to leave out ;) Lmk if you find something though!

No jerk move. I wasn't clear. Yeah, I'm reluctant to experiment with BBQ sauce because it can go oh so wrong. Tomorrow I"ll be experimenting with Pad Thai, though. I'm happy to screw that one up in the name of science!

Welcome Photogrrl77 :)

AgentKatia, someone I know uses Black Diamond Unsweetened Almond Breeze Milk that is supposed to be paleo friendly. Hopefully that helps you out. 

As for the hangover feeling, I think I just got over mine recently. Not being as irritable and finally stopped opening and closing the fridge looking for 'something' (can never figure out what though. Maybe junk food?). Day 9 for me :)

You know what helps on your whole30. The freaking farmers market. I went on sunday and omg Icould eat almost everything thing. Grass-fed meat, fresh veggies, people roasting peppers right in front of you. It was awesome. It totally upped my creativity with my cooking. Tonight stuffed peppers with sausage, tomatoes, onions and more peppers. So yes, if you are getting board go hit the farmers market. It helps.

You know what helps on your whole30. The freaking farmers market. I went on sunday and omg Icould eat almost everything thing. Grass-fed meat, fresh veggies, people roasting peppers right in front of you. It was awesome. It totally upped my creativity with my cooking. Tonight stuffed peppers with sausage, tomatoes, onions and more peppers. So yes, if you are getting board go hit the farmers market. It helps.

Yes!  It's awesome when they have samples. Trouble is the only one I know of near me is FREAKING expensive. But still pretty awesome.

I finally got through all the posts after helping my husband study. :) I'm on my iPad So, I'm not going to quote anyone, so I'll just make some general comments! Lol I also belong to a crafting club where once a month we get together and there is a hostess and they bring a ton of snacks! I bring my own and then eat what I can, like carrot sticks or fruit. I try to bring something I really like, like sea salt almonds, so it's like I'm getting a treat and am not feeling deprived.

I found out months ago that I can't tolerate gluten, so that is really helpful with the Whole30. I CAN'T have it or I'll get sick.

Things I'm craving are Starbucks, especially salted caramel mocha, which I plan to have one after this round, chocolate covered pomegranate, pizza (gluten free crust), ice cream and cheese. Oh and Sonic vanilla diet coke!

I work I'm a doctors office where drug reps bring us lunch 3 days a week, plus sugary snacks at other times. I always make sure I have yummy snacks on hand (frozen blueberries, almonds, apples and almond butter, etc.), and I always bring my own lunch. I'm worth too much to be swayed by fast food, catered crap and takeout pizza! :)

I love my farmer's market too.  We have a relatively inexpensive organic market run from a church next door to me (we have a natural/grass fed/conscientous butchery across the road as well).  the unfortunate thing is that it's only open on weekday mornings.  The slightly more expensive market is only open on saturdays but awesome to visit :) I don't mind spending money there.

I finally got through all the posts after helping my husband study. :) I'm on my iPad So, I'm not going to quote anyone, so I'll just make some general comments! Lol I also belong to a crafting club where once a month we get together and there is a hostess and they bring a ton of snacks! I bring my own and then eat what I can, like carrot sticks or fruit. I try to bring something I really like, like sea salt almonds, so it's like I'm getting a treat and am not feeling deprived. I found out months ago that I can't tolerate gluten, so that is really helpful with the Whole30. I CAN'T have it or I'll get sick. Things I'm craving are Starbucks, especially salted caramel mocha, which I plan to have one after this round, chocolate covered pomegranate, pizza (gluten free crust), ice cream and cheese. Oh and Sonic vanilla diet coke! I work I'm a doctors office where drug reps bring us lunch 3 days a week, plus sugary snacks at other times. I always make sure I have yummy snacks on hand (frozen blueberries, almonds, apples and almond butter, etc.), and I always bring my own lunch. I'm worth too much to be swayed by fast food, catered crap and takeout pizza! :)

Welcome Photogrrl77. Good going so far on your Whole30.  I also have a gluten intolerance, i can have it in very very small doses but it's just easier to avoid it totally.  I haven't felt better in years and i have to be honest, apart from the occasional baked goods (I'm a hobbyist baker) I doubt you'll see me eating gluten ever again. 

Welcome Photogrrl77! I agree that it's always nice to be prepared. I too am craving Starbucks LIKE NO OTHER. I have not even craved Papa John's pizza and I love that place. 

So about being prepared. I'm scared that I'm going to run into an instance where I am hungry but there is nothing available for me to eat. I know I can't be prepared 100% of the time but the fear will not go away. Tonight for example, I don't have time to eat dinner, and I know I will be hungry after work and I have Bunco until 9:30pm. I don't want to miss out on fun activities just because I'm worrying about food. I know that a few of my friends are Gluten intolerant but I worry about how the food will be made or what will be served. I'm going to bring a Larabar, some cashews and lots of water to help but the fear is still there. 

How does everyone else deal with this? 

I finally got through all the posts after helping my husband study. :) I'm on my iPad So, I'm not going to quote anyone, so I'll just make some general comments! Lol I also belong to a crafting club where once a month we get together and there is a hostess and they bring a ton of snacks! I bring my own and then eat what I can, like carrot sticks or fruit. I try to bring something I really like, like sea salt almonds, so it's like I'm getting a treat and am not feeling deprived. I found out months ago that I can't tolerate gluten, so that is really helpful with the Whole30. I CAN'T have it or I'll get sick. Things I'm craving are Starbucks, especially salted caramel mocha, which I plan to have one after this round, chocolate covered pomegranate, pizza (gluten free crust), ice cream and cheese. Oh and Sonic vanilla diet coke! I work I'm a doctors office where drug reps bring us lunch 3 days a week, plus sugary snacks at other times. I always make sure I have yummy snacks on hand (frozen blueberries, almonds, apples and almond butter, etc.), and I always bring my own lunch. I'm worth too much to be swayed by fast food, catered crap and takeout pizza! :)

Welcome, photogrrl77!  Looks like you have most of the same craving issues I do!  Good luck!

So about being prepared. I'm scared that I'm going to run into an instance where I am hungry but there is nothing available for me to eat. I know I can't be prepared 100% of the time but the fear will not go away. Tonight for example, I don't have time to eat dinner, and I know I will be hungry after work and I have Bunco until 9:30pm. I don't want to miss out on fun activities just because I'm worrying about food. I know that a few of my friends are Gluten intolerant but I worry about how the food will be made or what will be served. I'm going to bring a Larabar, some cashews and lots of water to help but the fear is still there. 

How does everyone else deal with this? 

Well the number one thing is, don't be afraid of being hungry. Sometimes it's okay to realize that you're hungry and to let that go and think of something else. I know that's hard. This comes from someone who LOVES food and doesn't understand how people forget to eat because HOW??

It's good that you're bringing something with you. Try to ration that if you can. Maybe keep it in your purse and only take a few bites out when the hunger is too much.

Can you stop by a store and pick up a small something?

That's a good idea, ration the food I do bring. I'm stopping by 1 place to get wine(for everyone else) but the place doesn't really have good snacks. They have tons of chocolate though. :(

I think my going hungry fear is mostly about, well if i get hungry I'll let my cravings/unwise choices make bad decisions for me. I dislike the unknown, I'm so not a risk taker. 

I did a really good job of avoiding the pasta. It didn't look very good but it smelled really good. I had 2 large glasses of water and half my banana bread larabar. 

That's great motivation Devyn xD

Jonesy, great job of resisting the pasta. I've had some really tempting situations (candy, middle east food, brothers birthday is on Saturday) It's really tough, but 30 days is certainly doable, especially with a great group like this :)

Anyone know how I would eat within the Whole30 requirements at an Italian Restaurant? It's where my brother is going for his birthday and I really don't want to mess this challenge up. I'm having a look at their menu and it looks like everything is either pasta, pizza, or smothered in cream sauce. Even the salad, though I would imagine I could ask to leave the dressing off. 

Anyone know how I would eat within the Whole30 requirements at an Italian Restaurant? It's where my brother is going for his birthday and I really don't want to mess this challenge up. I'm having a look at their menu and it looks like everything is either pasta, pizza, or smothered in cream sauce. Even the salad, though I would imagine I could ask to leave the dressing off. 

I just did this today! I called ahead to a restaurant saying that I would be joining them for lunch, but I'm on a restricted diet so I wanted to see how their chicken breast is prepared to see if I could add it to one of their salads. A lot of restaurants have plain chicken breast, but I wanted to know what it was cooked with. They used sunflower oil which is permitted in W30, though not recommended, so I felt comfortable ordering it. Then I ordered a salad with no dressing or cheese (etc) and brought my own homemade dressing in a small container. I'm a big fan of these guys because they don't leak and it's the perfect size for dressing for a salad. Yay!

I would love to know how other people approach eating out! I've got three more restaurant meals this week... But I'm okay repeating that process.

Can you link the menu at all?

Without seeing the menu, I'd say chicken breast and vegetables or a grilled chicken salad with oil and vinegar.

The veal with vegetables is ideal for sticking with W30 (no sauce or cooking oils) but if you have issues with veal, almost any of the salads are good (minus cheese or dressing) or chicken/fish with veggies.