• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

My motivation is how I feel when I'm on Whole30.  I already know what food affects me, so really my only reason for doing this is that it works. So why not do it for longer if that's what works?  I am giving myself the week in between challenges off so that I don't fall off the wagon, but I'm thinking of making it a permanent thing where I do Whole30 automatically for every challenge and then take time off for holidays and in between.  

Have you found it's gotten easier each subsequent challenge or did it plateau at some point? And is it hard for you to re-start after a week off?

I started reintroduction today with rice, but my tummy wasn't happy... But I wasn't sure if it was the rice or something in the sauce. So friday is sushi day and I am going to stick to pretty plain rolls to see how the rice works. To be honest I think rice is the only thing I am going to reintroduce and keep in my diet. Wheat I am going to stay away from, if I want a desert I know an awesome gultin free bakery that uses almond, coconut and rice flour. Dairy I am going to do my best to stay away from, the only form I get it in is french vanilla latte. Sooo goood. But I am resisting and only allowed to get 'real' ones from real good cafes and then only like once a month.

oh i can't wait for rice, but i'm still just trying the dairy thing.

After the cupcake endeavour, i decided to take it slow.  So last night i introduced back cream cheese and i had a glass of milk.  I don't like milk but to me that was the least full of crap thing i could try dairy wise.  My tummy was wibbly afterwards and i even got a tummy ache.  Jay reckons it was the milk because i never overload my system with that much dairy.  I'm trying the cream cheese on it's own this afternoon and i will see what the results are. 

I'm going on an art walk tour through the city tonight (on the first thursday of every month all the galleries around my home stay open til 11pm and have little cocktail parties open to the public) - lots of modern art installations and i get to see my adopted brother.  I tell you this because he's down from Switzerland until the end of the week and he's brought my 90% dark swiss chocolate.  I'm not a choccie fan but i enjoy a good dark chocolate. I'll probably try it tomorrow and see if the cocoa does anything (the only time i eat it is when i'm in sharkweek so it would be good to know if that's still an option for me).

Check my skin and hair out, yoh.  On top of losing almost 6kg on Whole30, i'm figuratively glowing :) I've almost cured the breakouts :)

GO72rUQl.jpg

Tonic, congrats on reintroduction! Yeah that's a tough call. I was reading something about reintroducing foods after a restrictive diet, and they were suggesting going as close to the original source as possible (ex. plain rice) as your test. Also, after a month of abstaining, it might take two or three days of trial to see if you have any sensitivities to that particular food. 

Blaidd, your skin looks amazing!!! Hope you have an awesome time at the art walk tonight with your brother. And for-real Swiss chocolate??? Now THAT's reintroduction ;)

Blaidd, your skin looks amazing!!! Hope you have an awesome time at the art walk tonight with your brother. And for-real Swiss chocolate??? Now THAT's reintroduction ;)

I second this ^

Have you found it's gotten easier each subsequent challenge or did it plateau at some point? And is it hard for you to re-start after a week off?

I find it's easier each time. I know what I can and can't eat pretty well so that takes a lot of the stress off. And since I'm so used to it now, it's less of a struggle. It's not hard to come back after a week. Usually after a week, I'm ready for a change because I can feel the difference. I am finding that it's taking me longer and longer each time to hit the Tiger Blood time, though. I'm on day 28 and I only started feeling it a few days ago.

I started reintroduction today with rice, but my tummy wasn't happy... But I wasn't sure if it was the rice or something in the sauce. So friday is sushi day and I am going to stick to pretty plain rolls to see how the rice works. To be honest I think rice is the only thing I am going to reintroduce and keep in my diet. Wheat I am going to stay away from, if I want a desert I know an awesome gultin free bakery that uses almond, coconut and rice flour. Dairy I am going to do my best to stay away from, the only form I get it in is french vanilla latte. Sooo goood. But I am resisting and only allowed to get 'real' ones from real good cafes and then only like once a month.

It's good that you reintroduce one thing at a time.  Let us know how it goes and congrats on finishing!

oh i can't wait for rice, but i'm still just trying the dairy thing.

After the cupcake endeavour, i decided to take it slow.  So last night i introduced back cream cheese and i had a glass of milk.  I don't like milk but to me that was the least full of crap thing i could try dairy wise.  My tummy was wibbly afterwards and i even got a tummy ache.  Jay reckons it was the milk because i never overload my system with that much dairy.  I'm trying the cream cheese on it's own this afternoon and i will see what the results are. 

I'm going on an art walk tour through the city tonight (on the first thursday of every month all the galleries around my home stay open til 11pm and have little cocktail parties open to the public) - lots of modern art installations and i get to see my adopted brother.  I tell you this because he's down from Switzerland until the end of the week and he's brought my 90% dark swiss chocolate.  I'm not a choccie fan but i enjoy a good dark chocolate. I'll probably try it tomorrow and see if the cocoa does anything (the only time i eat it is when i'm in sharkweek so it would be good to know if that's still an option for me).

Check my skin and hair out, yoh.  On top of losing almost 6kg on Whole30, i'm figuratively glowing :) I've almost cured the breakouts :)

GO72rUQl.jpg

Awesome!!! Your skin looks great.  I find mine is affected too. Now instead of breakouts all over my face I only have a few. Still haven't found a cure.  Pay close attention to your skin and see what food might be causing those breakouts.

Okay, I ordered Indian last night and it was suppose to be made with coconut milk and let me tell you it wasn't. I woke to horrible pant in my stomach and just laid on my bed for three hours waiting for it to go away, missing my morning workout. It did but woah, no freaking dairy. I am not willing at this point to even try a latte. That was rough. Tomorrow I am going to try with some more rice and see what happens. I keep reminding myself on step at a time. I was so happy to get home today and make some real food after being at a networking event. I tried a dip and it must have had something it it I couldn't have. I had one bite and my throat was like no. It started getting scratchy.  Biggest lesson learned be very careful with what you eat.

Hey everyone, glad to hear you're all still kicking butt in the Whole 30 challenge :)

Sorry I've been away for a few days, school picked up as did work but I'm back now! Blaidd and Devyn, congrats on the completion of the challenge, and Blaidd your skin looks amazing. Sorry for the short check in, but it's quite late here (1:50am). Been having trouble sleeping lately and been feeling kind of run-down which is also affecting my workouts (taking longer to do them). 

the artwalk last night was fun.  I had cream cheese again at lunch and it did nothing to me - i will give it one more go and if it's good then we know i can eat cream cheese.  I, however, had naan bread at dinner (we went Moroccan).  It was the only none whole thing out of the whole dinner and i woke up with tummy cramps.  As a matter of fact i didn't sleep particularly well cos of the cramps.  It's looking more and more like gluten products are a no-go for me, which is ok. I've learnt i can live without it, through W30.  I like alternative flours too and i love experimenting in the kitchen, so if i really really want something starchy i can figure it out myself.

Okay, I ordered Indian last night and it was suppose to be made with coconut milk and let me tell you it wasn't. I woke to horrible pant in my stomach and just laid on my bed for three hours waiting for it to go away, missing my morning workout. It did but woah, no freaking dairy. I am not willing at this point to even try a latte. That was rough. Tomorrow I am going to try with some more rice and see what happens. I keep reminding myself on step at a time. I was so happy to get home today and make some real food after being at a networking event. I tried a dip and it must have had something it it I couldn't have. I had one bite and my throat was like no. It started getting scratchy.  Biggest lesson learned be very careful with what you eat.

Oh dear, i'm sorry about the dairy thing. It's terrible that they also told you it was coconut milk when it wasn't :(  That's not cool. Sounds like you're not just lactose intolerant but might actually have an allergy to it. Good luck with the rest of it.

Hey everyone, glad to hear you're all still kicking butt in the Whole 30 challenge :)

Sorry I've been away for a few days, school picked up as did work but I'm back now! Blaidd and Devyn, congrats on the completion of the challenge, and Blaidd your skin looks amazing. Sorry for the short check in, but it's quite late here (1:50am). Been having trouble sleeping lately and been feeling kind of run-down which is also affecting my workouts (taking longer to do them). 

Sounds to me like you're having some symptoms of the W30.  Keep fighting through it, it does get easier.  We can all attest to that :) Also take it easier on yourself.  Sounds like there's a lot going on in your life and if W30 is your focus, don't spread your willpower and motivation too thin across everything. One thing at a time. Good luck.

I'm so sorry that the dairy was that bad for you. :( You should call them back and ask what sort of milk was really in that meal.  Might be nice to know what it was because you can usually get a latte with different types of milk. I know some of the small stands near me offer Almond milk, which is awesome! 

I think reminding yourself that one step at a time would be hard. Specially if you WANT to try all the things. I mean that's how I feel now but I don't know how it will feel after day 30. Keep up the great job and let us know how it goes. :)

That does not sound fun! Sleeping is one of my favorite activities and it's horrible when you are having trouble. Stick with it and it should get better! I also agree with Blaidd. I know that I made it easier on myself when I focused on getting the whole30 part of my goal under control before I focused on the working out. It's hard to get the motivation to workout when your body is going through a pretty intense switch in eating. 

the artwalk last night was fun.  I had cream cheese again at lunch and it did nothing to me - i will give it one more go and if it's good then we know i can eat cream cheese.  I, however, had naan bread at dinner (we went Moroccan).  It was the only none whole thing out of the whole dinner and i woke up with tummy cramps.  As a matter of fact i didn't sleep particularly well cos of the cramps.  It's looking more and more like gluten products are a no-go for me, which is ok. I've learnt i can live without it, through W30.  I like alternative flours too and i love experimenting in the kitchen, so if i really really want something starchy i can figure it out myself.

I'm glad you had fun at your artwalk and that cream cheese was ok with you but boo on the naan. At least you know you can live without it and like other flours. 

Oh Tonic that sucks! Hope you are feeling better. That is so wrong... I'm with Jonesy. You should find out what was in there! You've gotten this far in the challenge! I really think reintroduction is Part II. One step at a time is right :) 

WW, thanks for saying hi! I hope your energy comes back with a vengeance soon :) I think Blaidd is absolutely right (as usual). Those totally sound like W30 symptoms. 

Blaidd, yay cream cheese! Boo gluten! ;) Great discoveries! I'm looking forward to your wheat-flourless concoctions :)

Okay, so this is not exactly Whole30, but there is a strong correlation so I think it's still topical. One of the main reasons I'm doing Whole30 is that I'm trying to find out through eating if I have a slight systemic yeast imbalance (which can cause sugar cravings and some of my other symptoms) and/or food sensitivities. I won't ramble about it here, but one of the books I'm reading has a totally applicable controlled reintroduction schedule that coincides really nicely with Whole30. So, if like me you are doing Whole30 to target specific food sensitivities, this might be a helpful resource. If you AREN'T reintroducing or are but for different reasons, I'm sorry to take up so much space ;)

from The Yeast Connection Cookbook by William Crook and Marjorie Hurt Jones

Q. What symptoms should I look for and how soon will I notice them?

A. Usually, but not always, your main symptoms will reappear... However sometimes you'll notice other symptoms, including some that haven't bothered you before, including itching, coughing or urinary frequency. 

Your symptoms will usually reappear within a few minutes to a few hours. However, some people may not notice a significant symptom until the next day. Nearly always, if you avoid an allergy-causing food for a short period—five to twelve days— you'll develop symptoms promptly when you eat the food again. By contrast, if you avoid a food one to two months, your sensitivity will usually lessen and you won't show any symptoms unless you eat the food two or three days in a row. 

Q. When I eat a food again, does it make any difference what form the food is in?

A. Yes! Yes! Yes! Add the food in pure form. For example, when you eat wheat, use pure whole wheat (obtainable from a health food store) rather than bread, since bread contains milk and other ingredients. If you're adding milk, use whole milk rather than ice cream, since ice cream contains sugar, corn syrup and other ingredients.

Here are suggestions for returning foods to your diet: 

Milk—Drink an ounce or so for breakfast. If it causes no symptoms, drink a couple of ounces in the middle of the morning. Then if you still show no symptoms, drink as much as you want later in the day. 

Wheat—...Get pure whole wheat from your health food store, add water and cook it for 25 minutes...

Corn—Use fresh corn on the cob, pure corn syrup, grits or hominy, or eat some plain popcorn...

Legumes...

So I don't necessarily love the writing, and I disagree with corn syrup as an acceptable corn test. Since it's sugar it will cause a blood sugar spike, so that's not very controlled. Also, the legumes section is haphazard, which is why I didn't write it out. He dumps soy in with all other beans, but I think fermented soy deserves its own test, especially in the States where soy is put in EVERYTHING. For his book you don't cut out all grains, so those aren't listed in his schedule. Otherwise, I think the method outlined in the milk section makes sense: reintroduce a whole food throughout the day and maybe two or three days in a row. 

He suggests the same process for anything you've stopped eating but would like to eat again. Sugar, chocolate, food coloring, tea, coffee, etc. Hope this is helpful! Any thoughts? Especially dissent?

Sounds mostly like a good idea.  I have sort of done that with popcorn, and didn't notice any ill effect.  I didn't eat it multiple days in a row though.

I think it makes sense. I mean if you eat, say a pizza during reintroduction you wouldn't know if it was the bread, cheese or sugars that are making you feel bad if you react to it. Although I wonder how differently you could react to something that does NOT have the pure form in it and has, say milk but in a different form, but you react fine to it. If that makes sense at all...

Also, I don't think I cheated on Friday but a part of me feels cheated. I went out to dinner for my book club and thought I was having a Whole30 complaint meal Salmon, veggies and Sweet Potato fries. I knew what they fried the SWP, so I thought I would be ok. I started to get a slight tummy ache after eating the salmon, nothing to extensive but just a little grumbling and heavy feeling. After dinner I asked the waitress about the salmon and turns out they put butter on it. That's what they mean by Garlic, they meant garlic butter. I was so mad. I wish they would have put that on the menu. I was talking to my mom about it and she worked in the restaurant industry and said they slip butter in all the time and don't put it on the menu. Still it makes me feel like I cheated when I didn't know I was. 

Ooh, that reintroduction thing is pretty helpful. Good idea....a good mix with what goes on after Whole30.

Don't worry about it.  Sometimes that stuff happens and then you learn from it. Really, butter isn't against Whole30. It kind of is but kind of isn't. Probably the butter you had isn't because it's not grass-fed, organic butter.  I have butter on my Whole30, but I make sure it's compliant.  The whole issue is up in the air.

You didn't cheat. Just keep going strong.  You're fine!  Make sure you know what oil they fry the sweet potato fries in and if they bread the first.

I don't think you cheated either, Jonesy. And it could've been the butter, or it could've been because you were eating fried food for the first time in over half a month (right?). Or it could've been the oil they fried it in, ya know? Or as Devyn said, if they breaded or rolled the fries in flour before they fried them (a common practice with non-potato fries because it makes veggie fries more crispy). I say that you keep going, my friend. I'd consider that a minor slip-up and a lesson, rather than a cheat. 

I think it makes sense. I mean if you eat, say a pizza during reintroduction you wouldn't know if it was the bread, cheese or sugars that are making you feel bad if you react to it. Although I wonder how differently you could react to something that does NOT have the pure form in it and has, say milk but in a different form, but you react fine to it. If that makes sense at all...

Yeah, I know what you mean Jonesy. My thought is to find out if I have a noticeable reaction to the pure form. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll immediately eliminate it from my diet forever (for example, if I have a dairy sensitivity, it doesn't mean I won't ever eat anything containing milk as an ingredient), but I'll probably up my efforts to generally avoid the food and reduce my overall intake of it. In my very personal experience, I only have food sensitivities, not allergies. So an occasional small amount of something I'm sensitive to probably won't reactivate the symptoms that have been dissipating as I've done Whole30 (complexion clearing up, for example). Or maybe it will! Thus the experiment ;)

It was some type of yogurt that was in the meal instead of coconut milk. I decided to follow up as ya'll suggested. I still haven't had any fruit or anything with added sugar. My SO keeps saying I should just stay away from it all. I kinda want some chocolate though... I do have some primal protein shakes that are coconutmilk based that I might start using again. I wonder if they are going to be super sweet to me now. MAybe I will use them like a milk shake.... hmm... I am going to have to think about this.

Congrats on the cream cheese Blaidd. I am so happy that dairy is okay for you.

Jonesy, that is totally not a cheat. It isn't like you wanted butter on it, so I am voting it wasn't a cheat.

not a cheat Jonesy, especially because it wasn't something you were aware of (you asked about it even).

Katia, that's a good way to go.

And they bread sweet potato fries?  do i live on another planet - i mean generally i don't eat veggie fries out (and i've switched to steam veggies or salad when eating out).  When i make it at home, i steam them first then bake them and they come out just as crispy as i need them :)

So, I have added in both dairy and alternative grains (I can't have gluten at all, so that's one thing that won't be added in). The dairy upset my tummy so much the next day that I will be giving it up for the most part. I don't think I can live forever without cheese lol

I had pancakes yesterday made with almond flour, coconut flour, organic whole oats and chia seeds. So far, so good. I'll see how the next couple days go.

Boo on the dairy front photogrrl! Good luck on the alt grains.

I'm already planning my reintroduction phase, going to attempt to keep it close to what the "It starts with food" book says and I can't wait for the dairy and gluten phase, basically I want my pancakes and lattes back. :) The non gluten and legumes days, meh I think I can live without. 

Boo on the dairy front photogrrl! Good luck on the alt grains.

I'm already planning my reintroduction phase, going to attempt to keep it close to what the "It starts with food" book says and I can't wait for the dairy and gluten phase, basically I want my pancakes and lattes back. :) The non gluten and legumes days, meh I think I can live without.

My alt grain day went well! Today is the day after and no I'll effects!!! Woot! And I hear you on the lattes!! :)

Awesome  Photogrrl!

So this Friday my family is celebrating my sisters bday at a chinese resturant and I need help trying to figure out if there is anything I can eat. I'm not really good with the whole eating out thing and whole30. So can anyone help me please!

Here is the menu...

Jonesy, I wouldn't consider that cheating, but sorry to hear about the tummy ache :( Not fun. The Oriental Chicken Salad or garden salad seems safe, but with Chinese food it's really tough to work that into the Whole 30. 

Thanksgiving this weekend (Sunday) will be a challenge, but I find it quite easy to go without the things I miss now, mostly cause it's out of sight, out of mind. My family likes to have a lot of bread and dessert on the table so I think I'll have to load up on veggies so I'm not tempted lol. 

Thanks for the reintroduction after Whole 30, Agent Katia! Very helpful :)

My first meal of my first Whole30 day was...not what I had in mind. The homemade sausage from PaleOMG.com was tasty but I felt like I needed a dipping sauce...I love sauces so that is not a surprise. Also tried plantains for the first time ever and they were gross. My fault though for not buying them earlier to let them turn black. If you like thick potato chips, that's exactly what they tasted like, bland thick potato chips! 

Let them ripen and then slice them and fry them in coconut oil so they get a little caramelized. Yum. 

Let them ripen and then slice them and fry them in coconut oil so they get a little caramelized. Yum. 

Yeah I learned that the hard way. :) The plantains I bought, STILL have not ripened...