Holding Whole30

Blaidd

Right now they are in a paper bag with an apple on top of the fridge. 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Jonesy, I wouldn't consider that cheating, but sorry to hear about the tummy ache :( Not fun. The Oriental Chicken Salad or garden salad seems safe, but with Chinese food it's really tough to work that into the Whole 30. 

Thanksgiving this weekend (Sunday) will be a challenge, but I find it quite easy to go without the things I miss now, mostly cause it's out of sight, out of mind. My family likes to have a lot of bread and dessert on the table so I think I'll have to load up on veggies so I'm not tempted lol. 

Thanks for the reintroduction after Whole 30, Agent Katia! Very helpful :)

Don't miss out on eating dessert with your family.  You can fry up some fruit in coconut oil, with nuts and a dollop of coconut cream (this is amazing) and while they eat their sugar and carb loaded nommies, you have something just as nommy in your bowl without feeling left out. 

Bring your own condiments if you'd like (although i'm sure your mum will have olive oil for you at least), i'd ask her to put some sweetpotato aside for you (before cooking) that you can steam and mash yourself and as you mentioned stock up on veggies.  I think the most dificult part would be the meats that have stuffing as the juices tend to seep through the meat. If you're prepared you're going to do just fine :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

So this Friday my family is celebrating my sisters bday at a chinese resturant and I need help trying to figure out if there is anything I can eat. I'm not really good with the whole eating out thing and whole30. So can anyone help me please!

Here is the menu...

Wow. Chinese is hard! I'd go with one of the salads and consider bringing your own dressing if you don't feel too weird about that. I think the hardest thing is that everything else will have soy, sesame, and/or peanut (in sauce, oil, or otherwise). I think the House Special Salad sounds promising, but without dressing. 

My alt grain day went well! Today is the day after and no I'll effects!!! Woot! And I hear you on the lattes!! :)

Congrats photogrrl! Glad your grain reintro (sans gluten) went well :)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Wow. Chinese is hard! I'd go with one of the salads and consider bringing your own dressing if you don't feel too weird about that. I think the hardest thing is that everything else will have soy, sesame, and/or peanut (in sauce, oil, or otherwise). I think the House Special Salad sounds promising, but without dressing. 

Congrats photogrrl! Glad your grain reintro (sans gluten) went well :)

Yeah Chinese is hard! I figured I'd have to settle on a salad but was hoping someone else saw something that would work. I'm not a big fan of salads, so I was hoping for an alternative. Thank you Katia for the feedback!

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Yeah Chinese is hard! I figured I'd have to settle on a salad but was hoping someone else saw something that would work. I'm not a big fan of salads, so I was hoping for an alternative. Thank you Katia for the feedback!

Oh, bummer. That's right you've mentioned that. Hope someone else sees something too! 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

My dad used to love chinese but he couldn't eat any fat or salt so he would just ask the waiter for whatever dish he wanted "steamed with no sauce" they never had a problem with that you can call in advance to ask if that is ok (if you can understand them over the telephone) You can always sneak in munchables and smile a lot :-)

Good luck!

Thanks 49er! I think I will call them tomorrow and see if they have steamed something without sauce! Salad can be my back up. :)

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Dinner was gross. It was plain chicken, shrimp and a mixture of crappy steamed veggies. There were like 3 broccoli pieces, a hole bunch of carrots on a bed of cabbage(which I find disgusting to begin with) and baby corn(which I didn't eat cause I didn't know if that was ok). 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

o.k. I know I never figured out how to join y'all threw the spread sheet but I really need some whole30 cheerleaders. I'm on like day16. The timeline suggests I might have lost weight, feel great, and "coasting" but I seem to be stuck in the other half of that "where's the damn twinkie" OMG if I have to do this for the rest of my life I'll shoot myself or maybe death by chocolate, a fondue farewell. How do you graduate people do it? I felt closer to owning this as a life style the first week when it was new and full of hope, but now I am full of bitter greens and resentment salad. I swear if I see one more cookie go down one more throat that's not mine, I..I...I'll cryyyyyyyyyyyyy! Where's the part where I feel exuberant taking on the world everyday and loving my food and much as nom nom lady? Where!?

I am so anxious all the time. Now I know why I ate all those carbs, to avoid thinking about all the stuff that now fills my head all day and night. Why am I here? Am I happy? Why don't I know? What is my special purpose? And when I stop blaming everyone else in my life for my emptiness, then what..........see now if I have a bag of crispy creams and some orange chocolate I wouldn't care about any of that stuff. I'd just do the laundry, do the dishes, take my kid to school and be my husbands life coach. And plug up the gaps in between with eating and being sick or tired. Now I've got more energy, a little, more time, from not sleeping as much and there's no one left to blame for me not getting in the car and going about seeing and changing the world around me. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh! I WANT PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have a nice day :-)

o.k. I know I never figured out how to join y'all threw the spread sheet but I really need some whole30 cheerleaders. I'm on like day16. The timeline suggests I might have lost weight, feel great, and "coasting" but I seem to be stuck in the other half of that "where's the damn twinkie" OMG if I have to do this for the rest of my life I'll shoot myself or maybe death by chocolate, a fondue farewell. How do you graduate people do it? I felt closer to owning this as a life style the first week when it was new and full of hope, but now I am full of bitter greens and resentment salad. I swear if I see one more cookie go down one more throat that's not mine, I..I...I'll cryyyyyyyyyyyyy! Where's the part where I feel exuberant taking on the world everyday and loving my food and much as nom nom lady? Where!?

I am so anxious all the time. Now I know why I ate all those carbs, to avoid thinking about all the stuff that now fills my head all day and night. Why am I here? Am I happy? Why don't I know? What is my special purpose? And when I stop blaming everyone else in my life for my emptiness, then what..........see now if I have a bag of crispy creams and some orange chocolate I wouldn't care about any of that stuff. I'd just do the laundry, do the dishes, take my kid to school and be my husbands life coach. And plug up the gaps in between with eating and being sick or tired. Now I've got more energy, a little, more time, from not sleeping as much and there's no one left to blame for me not getting in the car and going about seeing and changing the world around me. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh! I WANT PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have a nice day :-)

I'm here! I've just been super, super busy.

I've been tired all week. I"m not sure if that's because it's mid-term week or because of this diet. I've never gone past 30 days before. I think I"m on day 38 now. 

I decided to start eating fermented soy. Whole30 allows this on a vegetarian diet, so I thought in order to spice things up a bit, I'd add that. I had tempeh for two days in a row with no side effects (the tiredness started before I added soy).  This week I decided to do a thing where I only eat things I like. Really, I hate fish, I don't like most pork, turkey is blah, chicken is meh and all other meat I"ve tried gross to me. So this week, I'm doing bacon and beef. That's it. Just curious as t how that will affect me. 

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

I felt like that my first time too. I was so sick of meat and vegetables. But what happened was I went back to how I ate before and I felt awful.  Though I didn't get severe side effects I just noticed I felt sluggish and bloated. Every time I do Whole30 I feel like Vin Diesel if he was a chick with a nice rack. I had those same feelings but you get used to the food eventually and you realize that the happiness you get from feeling awesome far outweighs the happiness you get from pie.  Hopefully it will work tht way for you. Just keep at it!

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

I'm not a graduate but I am on day 28. DON'T DO IT!!! You are half way through, stay strong. :) I had a few moments of weakness in the middle of the whole30 but you kind of just need to focus on something else. You know out of sight out of mind? This advice helped me..

Every time you think about cheating, think about me and how disappointed I"ll be if you post that you screwed up your Whole30... :tongue:

Not only that but how mad you would be at yourself? You have done so well so far, come so far that it would not feel good to have stolen that cookie and gobbled it down. I know for me, I still want cookies and pie but it's gotten better. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

thanx Devyn and Jonesy. I remember bloated, thanx for the reminder, and I'll focus on my stepdaughters bday celebration this weekend. She doesn't like sweets and said I could make her some awesome quacamole instead of a cake, the sweetie pie. Also started an art project a couple weeks ago I abandoned so I'll get back to that. thanx guys!

49er, i want to say 2 things.  When i reached the mid way mark, ALL i wanted was sweets (and i don't have a sweet tooth).  I was craving things i don't even like and i wanted to dive into batches and batches of ice cream covered in chocolate sauce (it was mid teens weatherwise and i have no infinity for chocolate, seriously).  I stuck it out though, dampened the sweet tooth with grilled fruit and coconut cream and kept pushing.  I've reintroduced and i'm not feeling as good as i did on W30. So i've decided to re-incoporate some of my favourite things. Also maybe do something other than plain meat and veggies - do something to spruce them up and make them nice/desirable again.  Remember the timeline is also different for everyone.

Secondly, you could be feeling the anxiety as part of withdrawal.  your brain is playing tricks on you to get you to go back to your sugar/carb addiction.  We all know you're braver and stronger than you are currently thinking and you will overcome this.  You can do this!!  Something that helped someone else i read on the W30 forums was a "grattitude journal" - the gentleman reminded himself everyday of 3 things that he was grateful for/blessed by so that he could feel better about himself during the period. Maybe something like this would help you?

I'm here! I've just been super, super busy.

I've been tired all week. I"m not sure if that's because it's mid-term week or because of this diet. I've never gone past 30 days before. I think I"m on day 38 now.

I feel you on the exercise thing.  I just didn't have the energy or motivation to do anything last week. 

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Blaidd, thank you for sharing your story about the midway mark, it really helps just knowing that other folks go through this too. I dream of food I'm not supposed to eat. The first 2 times I remembered I wasn't supposed to and got mad that I fell off the wagon. Last night I remembered in the middle of an ice cream bar, but I remembered I was just dreaming so I happily continued eating! I don't think I'll ever be able to eat sweets "once in a while" I feel like it would just suck me right back down again. But I  feel soooooo much better from all the forum and chat support I've gotten since last night. I can't get my head around what a difference you all make for me! I live my life in relative isolation. hubby son stepdaughter granddaughter but no girl friends or social activities. The farmers market is my big day out every Sat. for an hour. I didn't realize what I was missing by not connecting myself to others. You guys are the best thing ever! thanx again.

I have a huge sweet tooth!!! Since I did the Whole30, I would like to say I don't crave sweets anymore, but that's just not true. However, I do realize that I control this situation, so I make sure I have things on hand to conquer the sweet tooth, such as frozen bananas which I blend up into banana ice cream(no added sugar, just bananas) and coconut butter, dark chocolate, bacon-wrapped dates etc. I just have to remind myself that I am in control of what I eat! Some days are easier than others. If I am craving something and I think about all the ramifications of eating it, and I STILL want it, I go ahead and have a little bit. I just don't go crazy like before! LOL Plus, I find if I tell myself I can't have something, I will want it even more, so it helps to either have a little bit or find an equally tasty alternative!:)

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

Speaking about sweet tooth's...

I finally got a chance to eat one of my plantains and boy was that DELICIOUS. Fried it up in coconut oil and sprinkled cinnamon on it and what an awesome dessert. Although, I ate it for breakfast with Apple & chicken sausage but I was thinking about how I'm going to make a coconut ice cream after the whole30 to have with a plantain. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Speaking about sweet tooth's...

I finally got a chance to eat one of my plantains and boy was that DELICIOUS. Fried it up in coconut oil and sprinkled cinnamon on it and what an awesome dessert. Although, I ate it for breakfast with Apple & chicken sausage but I was thinking about how I'm going to make a coconut ice cream after the whole30 to have with a plantain. 

Sounds delicious!!!! :)

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Spoiler

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

Thanx photogirl, that is very helpful to know that you didn't get over the desire, but became aware of your personal power to choose wisely. That seems more attainable than being "cured". Bacon wrapped dates sounds AWESOME! Then roll them in cocoa! ROLL EVERYTHING IN COCOA!. That's one of my coping strategies. I also fried a green plantain sliced longways in half and smooshed it and used it like an open face sandwich with chicken cilantro and lime. It was pretty good. Made the cauliflower rice (simple version) that's a good staple for holding sauces and such. I want to try it with coconut curry. I dusted my tostones (fried or baked plantain slices) with cocoa it did satisfy. Anybody hear of the yonana "ice cream" maker? Did I ask that already?

I don't think you have asked that already and I have never heard of it. :) But I really miss ice cream and frozen yogurt. 

I made cocoa rubbed pot roast, it was yummy but couldn't taste the cocoa. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I also miss ice cream, but seriously banana ice cream is the bomb!! Just freeze a few bananas (do yourself a favor and peel them first lol) and then when they are frozen put them in the blender or food processor and blend. That's it... all there is to it!:)

Spoiler

100%
19%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines