Holding Whole30

Blaidd

I dream of food I'm not supposed to eat. The first 2 times I remembered I wasn't supposed to and got mad that I fell off the wagon. Last night I remembered in the middle of an ice cream bar, but I remembered I was just dreaming so I happily continued eating! I don't think I'll ever be able to eat sweets "once in a while" I feel like it would just suck me right back down again. But I  feel soooooo much better from all the forum and chat support I've gotten since last night. I can't get my head around what a difference you all make for me! I live my life in relative isolation. hubby son stepdaughter granddaughter but no girl friends or social activities. The farmers market is my big day out every Sat. for an hour. I didn't realize what I was missing by not connecting myself to others. You guys are the best thing ever! thanx again.

I had serious food dreams/nightmares too! They finally stopped on their own, though, around the 2-week mark, so I hope yours stop soon :) I'm on Day 25, and it continues to be up and down for me, but way less violently than before. 

And yay for support!!! I definitely feel the same way. Knowing that everyone's journey is different but there is overlap has seriously helped me through the toughest moments of this Whole30 thing :)

Speaking about sweet tooth's...

I finally got a chance to eat one of my plantains and boy was that DELICIOUS. Fried it up in coconut oil and sprinkled cinnamon on it and what an awesome dessert. Although, I ate it for breakfast with Apple & chicken sausage but I was thinking about how I'm going to make a coconut ice cream after the whole30 to have with a plantain. 

YUM! That sounds awesome :) And yes to coconut ice cream with plantain. That sounds amazing. 

Speaking of amazing, yesterday I made these Stovetop Pork Carnitas, and served them in butter lettuce "taco shells," topped with my favorite homemade Tomatillo Salsa, shaved carrots, and avocado. And OMG. It is by far my favorite new Paleo thing I've eaten. It's heavenly. In fact, I wish I'd brought those leftovers for lunch instead of the (also delicious) zoodles with Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce and shrimp. It was actually a really great eating weekend. For Sunday brunch I made sweet potato hash with cubed sweet potatoes, pancetta, and shallot, served with scrambled eggs with green onion. I kind of want to rewind and eat yesterday again. 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Yumm, all of this sounds so delicious! I have been (almost) living on chilli I have learned to prepare Whole30 style and tomato soup (home made). And my gosh, where did the time go? I'm on day 29 already! Woo Hoo! I still have huge cravings for sweets, but I now know how to curb the urges now. After this I will switch to Paleo, but I hope I can still post encouragements and get motivation from this group. Such great people here :D

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%

I eat a lot of the same foods everyday too, it just makes it easy for me. I eat a lot of eggs. I have 2 of those microwave (yeah, I know...) egg cookers, one for home and one for work. I used to HATE eggs and now I love them... who knew!;)

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

Katia that sounds amazing and I think I will be trying that avocado pasta sauce soon!

WOOHOO WW! You are so freaking close! I was just asking myself, where did the time go, this weekend. I couldn't believe it's been a month already. Are you going to do the reintroduction or just go paleo?

Photogrrl - I've pretty much eaten the same thing over and over as well. I can't believe how much the flavors are popping in the things that I'm eating. I'm not even tired of Beef & Veggie stew for lunch, everyday. Lol

WeCanDoItHeader.jpeg

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Thanks Jonesy :) I think I will just jump right into Paleo instead of reintroduce then go Paleo. I have a feeling if I reintroduce, it would derail me and I would slip back into bad habits. I mean I may have a little celebratory meal (yay for Middle eastern food) and I will pick the closest thing to paleo requirements that I can. 

I'm really sorry that your Chinese outing didn't go so well, that meal sounded really gross x_x  I usually avoid it if I can as it always disagrees with me no matter what I eat (must be something they cook the food in). 

I love eggs and can eat them everyday (which I usually do), but like I said before, I am learning to cook all sorts of paleo meals for breakfast now. 

0%
0%

Thanks Jonesy :) I think I will just jump right into Paleo instead of reintroduce then go Paleo. I have a feeling if I reintroduce, it would derail me and I would slip back into bad habits. I mean I may have a little celebratory meal (yay for Middle eastern food) and I will pick the closest thing to paleo requirements that I can. 

I'm really sorry that your Chinese outing didn't go so well, that meal sounded really gross x_x  I usually avoid it if I can as it always disagrees with me no matter what I eat (must be something they cook the food in). 

I love eggs and can eat them everyday (which I usually do), but like I said before, I am learning to cook all sorts of paleo meals for breakfast now. 

Yeah the place I went to cooks practically everything in a soy based sauce. So I just went with the steamed but sooo gross lol.

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

WW! Nice!!!! Congrats on being so close! That's very exciting :)

And Jonesy, BOO, I forgot to mention earlier that I'm sorry your Chinese food outing was a bust.  :nightmare:

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

I swear Whole 30 is easier then going 80-90% paleo. I came very close to going under 80% paleo last week. I did have to eat out quite a bit because of work, so I hope that keeping that in check helps.

Also, everyone you are so close YOU CAN DO IT!

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

tonic's taking it back

Tonic, I'm curious as to what you find easier with Whole 30 than Paleo. I had such a tough time with this challenge, but when I went Paleo at the beginning of the year, I found it much easier. It could have been a mindset on my part however. 

0%
0%

yeah Tonic, i know exactly what you mean.  You really have to watch things :)

Katia, my pork taco salad was one of the best things i tasted during W30 (very similar to your pork carnitas just in salad format).  It's actually made a permanent stay on our regular menu.  The other amazing one was the butternut "lasagne" (using sliced butternut instead of lasagne sheets).  nom nom!!

You guys have done so well and i'm glad i thought to make this group.  It certainly saved my butt on numerous occasions and having you freaking amazingly awesome people to go through it with, was well freaking amazingly awesome!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

The answer is not just yes or no anymore. IT could be a maybe which makes things so much harder. My so says that I do great white black and white but gray gets me all muddled.

With whole 30 I could eat it or not. There were no cheats, no just a taste, or once isn't a problem. There is no alright how much of this have I had this week, is this going to push me over. How much rice have I already had?

At least that is how it is for me. Most things are not coming back in which does make it harder, but somethings like rice don't bother me, but I don't want to be eating it a ton either.

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

tonic's taking it back

Hey what happens to all of us when the 6 week challenge is over. Do we lose each other?!

not necessarily :)  We've forged "friendships" and i know i continuously pop in and out of people's threads to say hi and see how things are going etc.  You're welcome to stalk us all over NF ;)

The answer is not just yes or no anymore. IT could be a maybe which makes things so much harder. My so says that I do great white black and white but gray gets me all muddled.

With whole 30 I could eat it or not. There were no cheats, no just a taste, or once isn't a problem. There is no alright how much of this have I had this week, is this going to push me over. How much rice have I already had?

At least that is how it is for me. Most things are not coming back in which does make it harder, but somethings like rice don't bother me, but I don't want to be eating it a ton either.

Yeah!  I've never been one for cold turkey, but this cold turkey was so much easier than anything i've ever tried before.  I've even decided that i'm going back to W30 next challenge.  This reintro is just not worth the accompanying tummy ache and bad phyiscal feels.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Blaidd, I was sorry to hear that reintro has been so unrewarding for you. I agree it feels easier to just follow the rules. I've got 1 week left and I'm scared to go back out into the big world. It's like if I'm in the hospital for something and I get better, I'm afraid to go home. I am looking forward to adding tapioca though.

Hey what happens to all of us when the 6 week challenge is over. Do we lose each other?!

Be friend everyone, if you have not already. :) Makes it much easier to stalk after challenges are done. I have to say, this is my favorite accountability group in 7 challenges!

I always told myself I don't need to cut foods out because I can eat them in moderation. Well after so many challenges, I finally realized I was lying to myself. I've never done anything cold turkey and thought the Whole30 would kill me. Turns out in the long run, it was easier than I expected. Yes I still had the cravings but it was easier to not cave, especially with such an awesome support group here.

I know we are supposed to say "I don't eat that" but when you are talking to others saying "I can't eat that" works so much better. No one really questions that, or makes you explain everything. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I'm not on the official member list but I hope you will all friend me, too.

I think that's good advice for saying "I can't" for "outsiders"

I can't have "just a little sweet" any kind of sweet not just sugar. only if the sweet is naturally present in the food. Even then I have to be careful if I buy nectarines and they are amazing I will gorge myself if I don't think about what I'm doing. I'm hoping agaist hope that one of the awesome benefits I'll get from the whole30 is a regained ability to tolerate once in a while sweets.

moderation is a lie for me. I just can't seem to do it, before I know it I am eating horrible again. The only thing that I am eating off of whole 30 right now is rice and I think thats going to be it. Just with that alone I keep struggling but I have some rules that are helping a bit. MY next weigh in is in two weeks and I am going to be honest I am scared that because I did add rice back in I gained it back. Which is non-sense but its because of rice that I gained most of this in the first place.

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

tonic's taking it back

Don't be afraid of your scale. If your energy is good and mood and health then maybe weighing more doesn't matter. But if you feel blah you may have to rethink it. That's what it's all about right how you feel and having fun! (hmmmmmmmmmm ...maybe i should take my own advice sometimes Ha ha:-)

I always told myself I don't need to cut foods out because I can eat them in moderation. Well after so many challenges, I finally realized I was lying to myself. I've never done anything cold turkey and thought the Whole30 would kill me. Turns out in the long run, it was easier than I expected. Yes I still had the cravings but it was easier to not cave, especially with such an awesome support group here.

I know we are supposed to say "I don't eat that" but when you are talking to others saying "I can't eat that" works so much better. No one really questions that, or makes you explain everything. 

I agree with you. There are things that I just can't eat... not even a little of. One of those things seems to be ice cream :( If it is IN the house, I will eat as much of it as I can! However, I think I would be able to go OUT for frozen yogurt, because once I've eaten it, it is gone! LOL

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Spoiler

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

moderation is a lie for me. I just can't seem to do it, before I know it I am eating horrible again. The only thing that I am eating off of whole 30 right now is rice and I think thats going to be it. Just with that alone I keep struggling but I have some rules that are helping a bit. MY next weigh in is in two weeks and I am going to be honest I am scared that because I did add rice back in I gained it back. Which is non-sense but its because of rice that I gained most of this in the first place.

I found after reintroduction that I will have to limit both corn and beans, because they just tear up my stomach. But I LOVE both... so, it's really tough! I hear you on the scale fear. I weigh everyday now, this way I can see how much my weight truly fluctuates day to day. 

Spoiler

100%
19%

I dislike the scale. As much as I like seeing my weight drop it's ridiculous how much your weight can fluctuate in just 1 day. I've had weeks where I felt like I was on top of the world and the scale shows either a gain or stay the same. It's kind of deflating. I try to only weigh myself at the beginning & end of challenges now, along with measurements. :)

So far for reintroduction, Heavy cream does NOT like me, white chocolate fudge irritated me a little and frozen yogurt had no effect. I felt so good today that I decided to test out gluten and have a bagel.  

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I dislike the scale. As much as I like seeing my weight drop it's ridiculous how much your weight can fluctuate in just 1 day. I've had weeks where I felt like I was on top of the world and the scale shows either a gain or stay the same. It's kind of deflating. I try to only weigh myself at the beginning & end of challenges now, along with measurements. :)

So far for reintroduction, Heavy cream does NOT like me, white chocolate fudge irritated me a little and frozen yogurt had no effect. I felt so good today that I decided to test out gluten and have a bagel.  

Yeah, I am definitely a slave to the scale, but since I don't let the number really bother me, I'm ok with it. The good thing is I can look back at my logs and see WHY I might have a gain or a loss due to food and exercise. 

I am soooo glad I don't get to introduce gluten! One less thing I have to worry about!;)

Spoiler

100%
19%

I think the best thing to do is what you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable with Whole30 + rice, then that's great! Do you prefer brown rice or white rice? Also, if you weigh in two weeks from now and you've gained weight, what will your next step be?

Super interesting that heavy cream was not okay but frozen yogurt was fine! Did you get the really good stuff with the active cultures? I wonder if that had an effect...? How's the bagel going? Did you do cream cheese too? 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines