Holding Whole30

Blaidd

Super interesting that heavy cream was not okay but frozen yogurt was fine! Did you get the really good stuff with the active cultures? I wonder if that had an effect...? How's the bagel going? Did you do cream cheese too? 

I got the frozen yogurt from Yogurtland. If you don't know what it is, it's a chain of frozen yogurt shops. They tend to have live & active cultures in most of their flavors as well "real" flavors. The two I got were also non-fat. 

So far the bagel and cream cheese have been fine. I have a headache but I don't think that is from food. I got 6.5 hours of sleep last night and woke up at 4am to go workout. Did my strength and cardio together. So that could be why, I also had a flu shot yesterday. Too many possible factors. :(

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I'm starting to falter on my bbww. Starting to get bored and sick of not getting consistantly stronger. My periods been all wonky on and off and I feel weaker and more tired than I "should" be. On the up side. I cooked and pulled a chicken. It really helps to have decent protein at the ready.

I'm starting to falter on my bbww. Starting to get bored and sick of not getting consistantly stronger. My periods been all wonky on and off and I feel weaker and more tired than I "should" be. On the up side. I cooked and pulled a chicken. It really helps to have decent protein at the ready.

I tend to get ill for the entire week before my period, then during I have ridiculous cramps... so I am pretty much "out" for 2 weeks, but this challenge has helped me work through it. I just workout regardless and it actually has been helping. I had horrible cramps on Wednesday, but I still got up at 5:30 and did my body weight workout, and then went home and edited photos and finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I laid down until 2 pm when I went walking with my husband and friend. I did NOT want to go, but I hate letting people down. After the walk, I felt so much better! So, I guess just do what you can to work through it. 

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

I got so bored with the BBWW but if you are feeling like you are not getting stronger, make the exercises harder. Push yourself to make a move more difficult, add weights (anything that you can get your hands on, gallon of water, tool box, cans, etc...) It doesn't matter if you cant get 12 reps in, just do as many as you can the first time and then next time, add one more rep. That always helped make the BBWW less boring. 

Good Luck!

I tend to get ill for the entire week before my period, then during I have ridiculous cramps... so I am pretty much "out" for 2 weeks, but this challenge has helped me work through it. I just workout regardless and it actually has been helping. I had horrible cramps on Wednesday, but I still got up at 5:30 and did my body weight workout, and then went home and edited photos and finally couldn't stand it anymore, so I laid down until 2 pm when I went walking with my husband and friend. I did NOT want to go, but I hate letting people down. After the walk, I felt so much better! So, I guess just do what you can to work through it. 

I hate my period. I don't generally get bad cramps but I get incredible irritable, pissy and emotional a week prior and the week after. During I tend to be a little sluggish and weaker, I always assumed that was due to the blood loss, Lol. I will say that during the Whole30, with the exception of one bad day of cramps, I've never felt better during that time of the month. I actually went to the gym, did cardio and strength sessions, it was a nice change. I second the do what you can to work through it. :)

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I hate my period. I don't generally get bad cramps but I get incredible irritable, pissy and emotional a week prior and the week after. During I tend to be a little sluggish and weaker, I always assumed that was due to the blood loss, Lol. I will say that during the Whole30, with the exception of one bad day of cramps, I've never felt better during that time of the month. I actually went to the gym, did cardio and strength sessions, it was a nice change. I second the do what you can to work through it. :)

Maybe that's why it's better for me too... although I did eat some dark chocolate and some strawberry almonds on that really bad day!! LOL

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Spoiler

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

I got so bored with the BBWW but if you are feeling like you are not getting stronger, make the exercises harder. Push yourself to make a move more difficult, add weights (anything that you can get your hands on, gallon of water, tool box, cans, etc...) It doesn't matter if you cant get 12 reps in, just do as many as you can the first time and then next time, add one more rep. That always helped make the BBWW less boring. 

Good Luck!

I'm with Jonesy, 49er. If you're not getting stronger, you need to change the way you're pushing yourself. You might also want to make sure you're getting enough protein and sleep.

If you're bored and not progressing because you need a new challenge, you could try:

The Angry Birds Workout

Advanced Bodyweight Workout

The Batman Bodyweight Workout

You can always modify activities in the Advanced and Batman Bodyweight Workouts if you're not there yet. :)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Well... here comes my 80/20 Paleo... this will be a really good 20%... a drug rep is bringing our office Starbucks and I am going to ENJOY every sip of it!! :) Then I will make great choices the rest of the day and all weekend!:)

Spoiler

100%
19%

Thanx guys! push push push yea team :nonchalance: Your all spot on! I will keep pushing on. Did that dark chocolate have sweetness in it, ooooooooooooo jealous! Oh starbucks a starbucks my kingdom for a starbucks :redface-new: 4 days left of whole 30, just mustered the courage to purge my pantries. It felt good. I think a square of 70% Lindt chocolate will be my first cheat reintroduction :rapture: I have decided to officially adopt the primal lifestyle no going back now. I'll never add back dairy, cause that was always a problem, same for grain and sugar. Breaking up with sugar is breaking my heart but I know in the long run we'll both be better off.

Good for you for not reintroducing things you know you have trouble with! The only thing I did not reintroduce was gluten, and I have only had beans and corn once... and they both wreck my stomach. The Starbucks was AMAZING!! lol Got a Salted Caramel Mocha with no whipped cream! I have a love affair with that drink! :)

Spoiler

100%
19%

Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, that is my all time mindblowing favorite! I am living through you :-)

LOL I am just glad it is only here for the holidays! And I am proud of myself for cutting down so much on Starbucks... I have a Gold card and I made my 30 stars in about a month early in the year... of course both me and my husband use the card... but I don't even have Starbucks once a month now, mostly because I am so broke! LOL But I will NOT turn down FREE Starbucks!! lol

Spoiler

100%
19%

Grats 49er on purging the pantry! I might be doing that with some of my stuff but I'm still trying to decide. Lol

Yay on the Starbucks. I have a feeling, if I were given free Starbucks during my whole30 I would have caved and cheated. I hope I can tolerate some coffee drink at Starbucks. I had a Peppermint Vanilla latte with heavy cream and my stomach was not happy. It was delicious but it was one of those drinks that need to be drunk fast or it gets sort of thick. I'm still trying to decide what milk to try next at Starbucks. I'd prefer not to drink Soy milk and if that is my only option I might have to find a small coffee stand that has coconut or almond milk options. I just hate trying to find one since so many here are bikini baristas, I mean really, that cant be sanitary. Gross. 

As for the real world. It's interesting and weird to find out what foods do to you. I had pizza last night and last night I didn't have any problems but IT was not filling. I didn't eat too much but I was still hungry, so it was not satisfying. Today I was irritated slightly by the cheese but I'm so hungry today. I had that hungry but not hungry feeling going on. So weird!

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Keep the news from the real world coming I'm terribly anxious and curious. I get this feeling like anxiety nausea toward the evening or when there's a lull in my activity and it's been a while since my meal. It does feel like hungry/not hungry also like my stomach is crying. I'm chalking it up to needing more protein and fat and morning the lost of sugar and carbs. I find myself trying to make it mean something about my feelings but I just talk myself down and refocus on my goals. the way y'all taught me :-)

I found that I didn't really get sick when I ate junk food after my first Whole30. I gradually started to notice that I was in a bad mood and I felt like a blob when I ate like that. It's why I keep going back.

49er what day are you on?

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

49er, you can do it!! You're so close :)

I have been doing well sticking mostly to the Paleo diet (had a cheese sandwich yesterday and stomach was okay. Curse you cravings...) and so far so good. For those of you who are planning to follow it as well, I'd recommend giving The Primal Blueprint a read. I've just started and it's a very motivating and informative book by Mark Sisson. 

I am trying to avoid junk food as much as I can so I don't fall into an unhealthy way of eating again (I'd fall off the wagon so fast) with the exception of dark chocolate chips 76% cocoa mixed with either fruit (melted) or thrown with some nuts. I have a terrible fear that eggs, my staple breakfast food, upsets my stomach though I'm not sure how to find out for sure. How do you all test something like that? Should I just have eggs and not eat for the rest of the day (unless I need to)? Lately I haven't had much of an appetite, mostly just have some homemade tomato soup and wait the rest of the day for dinner (been ill for a week).

Congrats everyone! So much motivation, support and success :)

PS. So sorry I haven't updated in a few days, still tired and lethargic. Not sure if it is because I am sick, but I'm feeling much better so hopefully the energy will return soon! 

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%

Testing for egg sensitivity is the same process as whole 30. No eggs for a long time. I'm not sure how long 2 weeks maybe 4. Then eat eggs 3 times in one week see how you feel. I tested allergic on Ig test so I stopped for a year, then had duck eggs and felt ok. Then the ducks stopped laying for the season so I went back to chicken eggs albeit free range farmers market eggs instead of grocery store. I don't notice any problem. I just try not to have them everyday. That may be what brought it on the first time. Good luck! oh and thanx for the encouragement! It truly keeps me going. 3 more days! Then it's hello tapioca! and 70% dark chocolate. I know, I know...one at a time :-)

oh..ps. I love mark's daily apple. I would like to read his book. I've been drooling over all the cool paleo books on amazon and reading reviews.I think I'm going to get one if I score an A on my challenge or even if I don't ;-)

I read the Primal Blueprint! It's a great book! I'm big on reading and most of the stuff I read is diet or fitness related lol I get most of my books for my iPad from the local library website. Saves me tons of money :)

Spoiler

100%
19%

I found that I didn't really get sick when I ate junk food after my first Whole30. I gradually started to notice that I was in a bad mood and I felt like a blob when I ate like that. It's why I keep going back.

I on the otherhand, actually feel physically ill.  AND that is why i'm going back to W30 for the next challenge (i'm going to try for 42 days not just 30). 

I had alcohol on Saturday for the first time and it totally upset me tummy.  I was drinking pina colada (and not a happy baby). Also yesterday after spending days baking for my bday tea, i only had one cupcake.  Surrounded by all the things i love and i only ate one single lonely cupcake (a carrot one with zero frosting). I was so proud of myself.  W30 has definitely changed my attitude in some ways. I'm glad :)  But i reckon i will need to give it a few tries before *all* of it sticks :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I think I'm responding sort of the same way Devyn does to the junk food. I haven't had a lot of issues except a headache and feeling bleh. 

Also, you are a strong woman Blaidd! 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

Interesting! I'm wondering if I'll have a similar reaction... I feel like this is sort of the way I felt before I started, but I didn't realize until I got through the first two weeks of the W30. 

I have been doing well sticking mostly to the Paleo diet (had a cheese sandwich yesterday and stomach was okay. Curse you cravings...) and so far so good. For those of you who are planning to follow it as well, I'd recommend giving The Primal Blueprint a read. I've just started and it's a very motivating and informative book by Mark Sisson. 

I am trying to avoid junk food as much as I can so I don't fall into an unhealthy way of eating again (I'd fall off the wagon so fast) with the exception of dark chocolate chips 76% cocoa mixed with either fruit (melted) or thrown with some nuts. I have a terrible fear that eggs, my staple breakfast food, upsets my stomach though I'm not sure how to find out for sure. How do you all test something like that? Should I just have eggs and not eat for the rest of the day (unless I need to)? 

Testing for egg sensitivity is the same process as whole 30. No eggs for a long time. I'm not sure how long 2 weeks maybe 4. Then eat eggs 3 times in one week see how you feel. I tested allergic on Ig test so I stopped for a year, then had duck eggs and felt ok. Then the ducks stopped laying for the season so I went back to chicken eggs albeit free range farmers market eggs instead of grocery store. I don't notice any problem. I just try not to have them everyday. That may be what brought it on the first time. 

Thanks for the rec, WW! Also, I'm with 49er on checking for eggs. Definitely do it elimination style and then reintroduce. Not eating anything but eggs in a day will kind of just mess with your body. It won't let you know if you have an egg sensitivity. I'd suggest eliminating eggs for at least 3 weeks and then reintroducing. 

I on the otherhand, actually feel physically ill.  AND that is why i'm going back to W30 for the next challenge (i'm going to try for 42 days not just 30). 

I had alcohol on Saturday for the first time and it totally upset me tummy.  I was drinking pina colada (and not a happy baby). Also yesterday after spending days baking for my bday tea, i only had one cupcake.  Surrounded by all the things i love and i only ate one single lonely cupcake (a carrot one with zero frosting). I was so proud of myself.  W30 has definitely changed my attitude in some ways. I'm glad :)  But i reckon i will need to give it a few tries before *all* of it sticks :)

WOW BLAIDD! You are so amazing. Look at you eating a frosting-free cupcake on your birthday after baking a zillion things.

I'm sorry you've been feeling physically ill, but I am happy to hear you think that sticking with W30 is the answer. Because having an answer? The best kind of gift when you are feeling ick. And you're totally right. It might take a couple of tries, but I'm certain you can get it to stick. :)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

So, I hit Day 30 Saturday and started to reintroduce milk Sunday. I'll get to that in a sec, but first:

Holy frijoles guys. SUGAR IS POISON. I jest, but while my reintro yesterday was for milk, I had two sneak-preview tastes of homemade sugar-laden deliciousness, and they both literally tasted like NutraSweet or another artificial sweetener (which, very literally, taste like poison to me). I put a tiny morsel of homemade cookie dough in my mouth, and I almost spat it out. I wanted to scrape my tongue. I had to pour myself a glass of milk (because I could!) to get rid of the taste. Same thing when I tasted a bit of the frosting on my husband’s cake at a party yesterday. It was so hard not to make a face, but I really didn’t want to insult the hostess. I can’t even process that right now, so I’m going to revisit it at a later date.

Yesterday I bought some really delicious local, organic, pasture-raised whole milk that they sell in glass bottles. I love this stuff. I started with a little double shot of milk in the morning, and didn't really notice anything. I had the same amount later (to get rid of the cookie dough taste), and still no real effect. So I went for it. I had some organic, unsweetened whipped cream, followed by a decaf cappuccino, followed by a little more milk, and by the end of the day I was definitely bloated, gassy, and feeling physically sluggish. My mind was still alert, but my body was just done. Oh, and a weird one. I felt kinda dehydrated despite drinking lots of water throughout the day.

Those results look very much like my "before" self prior to starting W30. So, I've got one culprit. I'm a little bummed, but I've got to say I think I'm going to be able to learn to live with the results. It wasn't terrible. I wasn't in debilitating pain or having severe digestive issues, but I did notice a very real and uncomfortable difference in my body after having about 16 oz of milk cumulatively over the course of the day. Granted that's a heavy milk day for me, but I think my solution is that I will just strongly restrict the amount of milk and milk products I'm consuming (meaning definitely not daily, probably not weekly). So this means I need to switch to almond or coconut milk in my morning coffee full time. Le sigh. Worth it though.

I need to test goat and sheep milk, as well as cow yogurt, but I think I'm going to do other reintros first after taking today as a strict W30 day to recover. Wheat tomorrow. I'm still feeling a little bloated, and I have a headache, which could be related, or I could've actually been dehydrated and I'm still sore from a really intense workout Saturday morning... The more I think about it, though, the more I'm inclined to blame the milk... 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

I wish sugar tasted like poison to me. :(

Sorry the milk made you feel meh. It's amazing seeing how foods make you feel huh?

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

artificial sweeteners have always tasted horrible to me.  I never could drink anything with them in there.  Even other things that had it added were nasty to me.  

I haven't tried anything with real sugar back in it.  I was thinking for my birthday I might have some birthday cake.  My mom taught my wife how to make really good icing and cake.  I'd like to see how it reacts to me now.  Might even try Ice cream too since I haven't had that in awhile.  

In the limited amount of cheese I have I don't think I had issue with it, but all things I have tried have been so little.

I am going to try to make a cauliflower pizza crust this week, so I will see how cheese acts for me there :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines