• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DefiantlyLiterate

#ZAP - Zombie Apocalypse Preparation (Cross Guild)

Hi guys,

I'm back in. Finally wrote my goals last night, but haven't really done much toward the challenge yet. I'm either hiking or working out after work today. I need to get started. I'm scaling back the fitness just a bit to allow time to tackle an ever-increasing, though not very time-consuming (except for the reading) pile of errands or activities I've been putting off.

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37541-drcalcarts-tackles-the-errand-pile/

The paleo recipes are not going to be part of my missions this time around, but I'm still eating a paleo diet, and I'll still be cooking new things, so there will be recipe posts. Like this!:

Two nights ago I roasted some root vegetables - parsnips, rutabagas, and yellow turnips. I'm trying to emulate roasted potatoes here, so I just chopped them up to the same size I would the small pink potatoes, tossed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, shallots, and whole garlic cloves (skin on, tops chopped off - smaller pieces burn). I would have liked to have added rosemary as well, but the store was out. I think I roasted these at too low a temperature. Normally I would do 400F for potatoes, but these might need 450F, or maybe lower and slower. Who knows? Anyway, the result was just okay. It was really missing the rosemary flavor, and the consistency is a little crunchy like cooked carrots. I was really going for seared on the bottom and soft throughout. It also just doesn't have the savory flavor that potatoes would; the root vegetables are inherently sweeter. Next time I'm going to toss some lemon juice into the mix, make sure there's rosemary, and fix the temperature. This time around, however, if I throw the veggies in a pan to heat up and add some extra searage, they're pretty good. Bonus: the whole cloves of garlic are now whole cloves of roasted garlic. Mmmmmm!

I want to try to get back to daily updates on my thread (now in Rangers), and I want to reconnect with all my fellow #ZAPers soon. Facebook is so much easier!

Catch ya' later.

albeus, I wish I could say I had, but sadly I had to not go to the one I was registered for. I got sick with Mono and had to lay off all physical activity. Luckily, that's over and done with. I have moved on. However, I can't wait to hear about yours. I want so bad to do one.

Hi guys,

I'm back in. Finally wrote my goals last night, but haven't really done much toward the challenge yet. I'm either hiking or working out after work today. I need to get started. I'm scaling back the fitness just a bit to allow time to tackle an ever-increasing, though not very time-consuming (except for the reading) pile of errands or activities I've been putting off.

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37541-drcalcarts-tackles-the-errand-pile/

The paleo recipes are not going to be part of my missions this time around, but I'm still eating a paleo diet, and I'll still be cooking new things, so there will be recipe posts. Like this!:

Two nights ago I roasted some root vegetables - parsnips, rutabagas, and yellow turnips. I'm trying to emulate roasted potatoes here, so I just chopped them up to the same size I would the small pink potatoes, tossed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, shallots, and whole garlic cloves (skin on, tops chopped off - smaller pieces burn). I would have liked to have added rosemary as well, but the store was out. I think I roasted these at too low a temperature. Normally I would do 400F for potatoes, but these might need 450F, or maybe lower and slower. Who knows? Anyway, the result was just okay. It was really missing the rosemary flavor, and the consistency is a little crunchy like cooked carrots. I was really going for seared on the bottom and soft throughout. It also just doesn't have the savory flavor that potatoes would; the root vegetables are inherently sweeter. Next time I'm going to toss some lemon juice into the mix, make sure there's rosemary, and fix the temperature. This time around, however, if I throw the veggies in a pan to heat up and add some extra searage, they're pretty good. Bonus: the whole cloves of garlic are now whole cloves of roasted garlic. Mmmmmm!

I want to try to get back to daily updates on my thread (now in Rangers), and I want to reconnect with all my fellow #ZAPers soon. Facebook is so much easier!

Catch ya' later.

Hello! :D

That recipe sounds like it has great potential. Can't wait to hear how they come out the next time around, might have to try it myself! :D

I wonder.. Zombies are attracted by .. noise & smell ?   What if we put Dr Calcart in a field or open street to cook one of his Paleo-Dishes.  Maybe the flavor of all the vegetables & goodies will turn Walkers away..

Going Cross-Guild really payed off.  Noticed all the people doing Archery?  About half the group.  No more need for me to puff & huff trying to run.  The group can just shoot them down from afar :)

Going Cross-Guild really payed off.  Noticed all the people doing Archery?  About half the group.  No more need for me to puff & huff trying to run.  The group can just shoot them down from afar :)

Hahaha. Archery is prime for those of us whose running skills are maybe not the best. *Eyes ankles swollen from this morning's C25K and walk*

Yeah...if the zombie has a 3 foot by 3 foot square head with concentric circles painted around its nose, and it's within about 30 yards, it'll probably go down. 12 arrows later, better run!

Yeah...if the zombie has a 3 foot by 3 foot square head with concentric circles painted around its nose, and it's within about 30 yards, it'll probably go down. 12 arrows later, better run!

Hahaha. I'm sensing a lack of love for the archers, Doc. :P

I just posted my week 2 report.  Going strong imo.

On the archery - zombie thing ; It occurred to me that it wont last.  One cant shoot zombies from afar with bow.  50% of the time you wont be able to recollect your ammo, so you'll run out eventually.  One of these challenges i'll have to put in a run-goal :/

I just posted my week 2 report.  Going strong imo.

On the archery - zombie thing ; It occurred to me that it wont last.  One cant shoot zombies from afar with bow.  50% of the time you wont be able to recollect your ammo, so you'll run out eventually.  One of these challenges i'll have to put in a run-goal :/

Running. *sob* I'm so screwed.

If anyone can spare a buck or two (and I mean that seriously; not asking anyone to donate big)... I'm registered for a Walk to End Alzheimer's in just over a month. I could use some love in hitting my donation goal.

http://act.alz.org/site/TR/Walk/FL-FloridaGulfCoast?px=8638475&pg=personal&fr_id=3318

The walk is short, but the cause is a big one for me. Alzheimer's took my grandmother and turned her into a stranger long before it killed her. Honoring her memory and struggle, my grandfather worked as a volunteer for the Alzheimer's Association, eventually becoming president of the South Jersey chapter.

If anyone can spare a buck or two (and I mean that seriously; not asking anyone to donate big)... I'm registered for a Walk to End Alzheimer's in just over a month. I could use some love in hitting my donation goal.

http://act.alz.org/site/TR/Walk/FL-FloridaGulfCoast?px=8638475&pg=personal&fr_id=3318

The walk is short, but the cause is a big one for me. Alzheimer's took my grandmother and turned her into a stranger long before it killed her. Honoring her memory and struggle, my grandfather worked as a volunteer for the Alzheimer's Association, eventually becoming president of the South Jersey chapter.

That's a wonderful cause! My grandmother passed away last month after suffering with Alzheimer's for more than 8 years. Good luck with your drive!

On a different topic - my gym is having a "Zombie Survival" themed workout tomorrow night I'm gonna check out. My impression is that it's going to be interval stuff, so it might be nice to try something different.

Week 2 Round Up! Have we lost anyone to the walkers yet? It's still awfully quiet in here.

I'm on day 15 of my Whole 30 challenge and beyond the amazing body changes, I'm hitting the point where the grieving stage is easing up. My fiance ate McDonald's in the car today, and aside from an appreciation of the scent of the burgers, I didn't even have a twinge of 'Oh, dear God, I want that. Now.' :D My increased distances on my weekend walks are proving a nice addition to my challenge. I covered over 15 miles this weekend!

How is the challenge going for everyone?

That's a wonderful cause! My grandmother passed away last month after suffering with Alzheimer's for more than 8 years. Good luck with your drive!

On a different topic - my gym is having a "Zombie Survival" themed workout tomorrow night I'm gonna check out. My impression is that it's going to be interval stuff, so it might be nice to try something different.

Albeus, thank you so much. I'm really hoping to hit my donation goal. I'm 26% of the way there. :)

That's great, DL!

I have been extremely lax with my write-ups, and have pretty much just taken to posting to Facebook when I do something. I'm keeping up with my dumbbell workouts and fitness activities for the most part. The errand pile hasn't seen any reduction yet except that I've finished reading 2.5ish books. And my sleep patterns have been abysmal. I should do something else as a goal because I neither want to nor can get to bed by 10 or asleep anywhere near that time if I'm reading a good book.

I picked up speed last week to improve from the rubbish first week, but I know I can do even better. I managed to get snacking under control last week, and studied a little harder than before. This week I'm focusing on getting those workouts in. :) I don't want those walkers to take me yet.

As an aside and having nothing to do with my current goals, my archery has also improved a lot in the last two weeks. I'll be getting headshots on walkers in no time! :D

I'm off for a vacation.  6days without internet :  I guess it'll be allright once i'm there, but at forehand I feel anxiety about that.. Homo onlinus ... 

Keep strong all!  Allmost half way.

Eep. I leave for Vegas in 15 days! I may need a wardrobe overhaul by then. :D One of my coworkers grabbed the leg of my slacks this morning, laughing as she waved all the loose fabric.  :redface-new:

In life goal news, I'm rewriting chapter 1 of the book I want out before the end of the challenge. Still getting the snooze-alert from my beta readers... it just reads too slow. Took this morning off from all the walking and got a fresh take on the events started. Emailed it to beta #1 and got back a wholehearted approval. I'm on the right track!

Glad to see folks hanging in there. Doc, don't feel too bad. I've only read 2 books this year (probably shouldn't admit that as a writer, lol). Robin, glad to see you're getting back on track this week. *\o/* And Nusuth, have a great vacation!