• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hated they may be, but if my knees get a break while the rest of me gets stronger, that's for the greater good. Also, I've occasionally had binge eating, but generally the case is more that I eat a lot per meal. If I've got reason to need more fuel, I overdo it.

Wollio, it's very easy to take for granted from both sides - it's hard to appreciate compliments from your family because you feel like they are not an objective source.

Is that where you do the magic chair for an hour? I hate those, I'd rather squat >< 

Yeah, those are super great! When I was in volleyball in school we had to do those. Terrible things they are.

Top o' the morning to ye! I'm loaded up on sudafed! Wheeeeeee! 

How's everyone doing today? Are we ready to have an excellent Thursday? I am very happy to have done intervals yesterday - I don't think I could eek out a sprint right now if there wasn't an actual murderous zombie of some sort behind me. I did NOT go for the comfort food I normally would while sick and I still made my own breakfast and lunch for today. Ladies and gents. Nia Shanks is not messing around. My entire body is destroyed. \o/

Hi everyone! I rocked out the BBW yesterday again. I was worried because I was still sore from Monday, but then somehow it was so much easier last night, and I'm not at ALL sore today. Which means, I guess, that I need to push through the third circuit. It's night and day from Monday's workout - I guess my body on Monday was just like "Wait, what are you doing? I didn't approve this!"

So I played Civ V for four hours last night, but you know what, I'm not ashamed!  Haha. Before this challenge I would play for five hours some nights - this time I spent that fifth hour doing my workout and preparing food. I feel really good about that, and it's not like I felt like I didn't get enough game time.

I had an idea I wanted to run by you ladies to see if anyone was interested - a recipe exchange/analysis. Every week we pick one recipe that we all (or as many of us as want to) make and then share our like/dislike of... anyone up for it? Are all of you eating Paleo?

That sounds like a fun idea. I can't guarantee to always participate because I'm on a pretty strict budget right now, but it would be a good way to get new recipes. There's a few on my spreadsheet that are regulars in my household because they're so yummy that I had to share.

Not eating strictly paleo, but the majority of my diet ends up adhering to it anyway. 

Hi everyone! I rocked out the BBW yesterday again. I was worried because I was still sore from Monday, but then somehow it was so much easier last night, and I'm not at ALL sore today. Which means, I guess, that I need to push through the third circuit. It's night and day from Monday's workout - I guess my body on Monday was just like "Wait, what are you doing? I didn't approve this!"

So I played Civ V for four hours last night, but you know what, I'm not ashamed!  Haha. Before this challenge I would play for five hours some nights - this time I spent that fifth hour doing my workout and preparing food. I feel really good about that, and it's not like I felt like I didn't get enough game time.

I had an idea I wanted to run by you ladies to see if anyone was interested - a recipe exchange/analysis. Every week we pick one recipe that we all (or as many of us as want to) make and then share our like/dislike of... anyone up for it? Are all of you eating Paleo?

Way to go! I think a recipe exchange is a fun idea - I know that ShotgunSally set up a doc here last challenge. 

Yes the magic chair is awesome for your muscles but that's why I hate it, because it's awesome for my muscles, lol!!

I love the idea of sharing tested recipes! I hate when a recipe says "5-minute sweet potato chips" and it turns into 2-hour sweet potato chips. At least if someone else has tried it they can speak to it's validity. That being said the pumpkin ice cream I put in that doc was apparently good (I don't like pumpkin) but the "mix every half hour for 2-3 hrs instead of using an ice cream maker" is total bs. I did this for four hours and it was the consistency of chick pea soup so I gave up and let it freeze over night so it ended up more like the consistency of sorbet. 

But the bacon sweet potato bites were to die for! 

Either the recipe thing or each week we could pick an ingredient to try a new recipe with... like, for instance, beets!  Mmm, beets. 

SS, I haven't had random people chime in, but I was just reminded today that this is all public just by surfing around. Most of the stuff on the NF forums is pretty positive, but I still see a lot of the fat=lazy attitude around, and that really bums me out, especially on a site that's supposed to be encouraging. Most of the time, though, it feels like people don't even realize how judgey they sound.

I want to make a pledge, and post it somewhere on these forums, that no matter how much weight I lose, or if I get fit, or if I don't, that I'm never going to look at a person and assume that I know their patterns, motivations, and priorities simply because of how they look, big or small, and judge them because of it.

SS, I haven't had random people chime in, but I was just reminded today that this is all public just by surfing around. Most of the stuff on the NF forums is pretty positive, but I still see a lot of the fat=lazy attitude around, and that really bums me out, especially on a site that's supposed to be encouraging. Most of the time, though, it feels like people don't even realize how judgey they sound.

I want to make a pledge, and post it somewhere on these forums, that no matter how much weight I lose, or if I get fit, or if I don't, that I'm never going to look at a person and assume that I know their patterns, motivations, and priorities simply because of how they look, big or small, and judge them because of it.

I'm always taken aback by the stereotypical reactions on fitness sites in general. I've not maybe clicked around enough here but that's disheartening. Body image and motivation are such personal things. 

Either the recipe thing or each week we could pick an ingredient to try a new recipe with... like, for instance, beets!  Mmm, beets. 

Beets are the best thing in the world. Yum!

I have actually seen posts where Steve has asked people to leave the forum altogether because they had this attitude. It was pretty sad, because the overall tone of this whole community is one of acceptance and motivation.

Unfortunately, this is the internet and therefore prone to attract douche-bags. However, for the most part I have been extremely impressed by how non-elitest the forums and posts are in general, and I think it's a HUGE reason why most of us keep coming back. Everyone here is trying to better their life, whether by strength, losing weight, gaining weight, eating better, and so many other goals that people here have. Even just the 10 of us if you look at our starting measurements are completely different people, with a vast array of different goals. To be honest, I was a little nervous about making Super Mario Bros part of one of my goals, because even though I think it would be the best way to improve my reaction times, I was scared that people would laugh at me and say that it wasn't a legit fitness goal. NO ONE DID! Sure, we joked about it and I know it is a little unusual, but no one tried to make me feel that it wasn't somehow "worthy" of being part of my challenge. And that's exactly why I feel like we've all stuck around for another challenge together.

Yeah, it's definitely the minority here, as opposed to other forums, and I really like NF overall!!  

I guess I'm probably overly sensitive to it, after a decade of outside sources of shame and guilt causing a whole lot of anxiety and body-hate in myself. It's been an uphill fight to get out of that for the last few years, and now I just get angry, hehe. 

And wait, there's a mario bros reaction time test?? THIS I GOTTA TRY

Eek, I haven't seen anything mean, just positive stuff so far but negative stuff? That's just not on man >< 

There's a mario bros reaction time? I wanna try, I fear my "mental age" might be 95, hahaha! 

I don't get the challenge... so I do what I normally do but pretending to be awesome? Wait, everyone doesn't flex in the mirror and have big juicy muscles drawn on there? I mean, imagine big juicy muscles.....

I haven't seen and negative stuff, I haven't even encountered negative vibes or whatever at the gym. I think if people are serious enough about getting their goals they won't pass judgement on others who are getting to theirs. Outside of the gym and on NF is completely different though.

Sally how big of juicy muscles are we talking? 

I might have to skip the rangers mini goals for the first four weeks. The next four weekends I will be on one of the main mountains here working our Oktoberfest (awesome) so I have to get all of my stuff workout and other stuff done in the week. So this six week challenge will be extra hard I think. I really like jump roping, and I like doing it on either friday or saturday nights, but I'm not sure I want to do it at a elevation that's going to devastate me in five minutes compared to 30 haha. Any ideas?

I might have to skip the rangers mini goals for the first four weeks. The next four weekends I will be on one of the main mountains here working our Oktoberfest (awesome) so I have to get all of my stuff workout and other stuff done in the week. So this six week challenge will be extra hard I think. I really like jump roping, and I like doing it on either friday or saturday nights, but I'm not sure I want to do it at a elevation that's going to devastate me in five minutes compared to 30 haha. Any ideas?

First inclination? Try it anyway and see how you feel. Pretty much any cardio is going to be harder at higher elevation and you might as well do something that you enjoy (in an s&m sort of way =P). Besides, getting used to jump roping at that altitude for a few weeks will make you super fit when you do them at home. It's kinda like how Kenyons win all of the Olympic races. (j/k but not really, if you know what I'm saying, lol.)

Okay, I think the reaction time test got a little confused, lol. There is a reaction time test on HumanBenchmark.com that I am using to help me to gauge how quick my reactions are. I'm not entirely sure how accurate of a measure they really are, but I figure that the goal is to use something else (namely, playing Super Mario Bros.) to actually increase my reaction times and then measuring that increased speed with the test. So technically, the test itself doesn't have anything to do with Mario, it's just a way for me to have a quantitative measurement of whether my reaction time is actually increasing or not. 

First inclination? Try it anyway and see how you feel. Pretty much any cardio is going to be harder at higher elevation and you might as well do something that you enjoy (in an s&m sort of way =P). Besides, getting used to jump roping at that altitude for a few weeks will make you super fit when you do them at home. It's kinda like how Kenyons win all of the Olympic races. (j/k but not really, if you know what I'm saying, lol.)

hahaha there's always blood doping! :P Ok not really cause I don't really like the sound of that, though I technically have the skill to do it.

Another fine morning to you all! I hope Friday is good to us and that we're all heading to the weekend feeling accomplished and excited with what we've done! I'll be checking on over the weekend but I wanted to remind everyone about voting - I'd like to have everything in by Sunday evening so I can update Monday morning on the front page of our tracking sheet. You can vote here! As with the last challenge there will be a 25 dollar gift certificate up for grabs with your choice of Nerd Fitness, Amazon, Itunes, etc. Because fitness is awesome, reading is smart and damn it music makes the world go round. 

I didn't put up a a pay it forward challenge yesterday because... sudafed. But today, and through the weekend, just do or say something nice for someone. Anything at all. I love that the whole idea of pay it forward wraps around the key point of making a connection with someone that has no obvious tie to you. 

Musing done! SO proud of all everyone this week!

I don't think I'll do the challenge because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do for it...

Happy Friday right back at ya :)

The Ranger mini challenge?