TheMightyMinotaur: Scholar, Gentleman, Aspiring Berserker.

So yeah. This is my second challenge. Feeling pretty good about this. Last challenge well, it could have gone better, but I finished strong. As you read through this you'll notice my goals are very active and very self oriented and that's something I picked up on from another blog that really works for me. Instead of saying workout its I workout, because these things are habits and it helps me to talk about them as if they are instead of just goals.

62c0271e-72f2-4579-bb82-b4cb01419495.jpg

I changed my motivation for this challenge and it's the same core idea, just that someone's said it better than me. I chose the closing line of the poem Invictus to be my motivation for this challenge because this is something that I'm doing for me. I'm doing this not because my doctor wants me to get healthier or because I want to look good for girls, while I do want both of those things, I'm doing this because I want it. I'm doing this because I'm worth being healthy and I'm worth looking good. I'm doing this because I got sick of being my group's fat friend. 

So, little about where I'm at. As of this morning, I weigh 225lb. I don't have measurements, but I will have them soon and when I do I'll post them in here. As far as my clothing measures go, I'm a 36 for jeans and an XL for shirts, for the most part. Those will have to suffice until I take my actual measures again.

EDIT: I totally have measures now! 

Weight 225

Neck: 16 in

Chest: 44 in

Natural Waist/Stomach: 45 in

Waist/Top of Hips: 42 in

Biceps R|L: 14|14 in

Thighs R|L: 22|23 in

Calves R|L: 17|17 in 

Boom. End Edit

Now for some pictures, I'm putting them under a spoiler so that they don't take up space and also because I'm not wearing a shirt.

47ad6c14-7052-4497-9408-0542856be88c.jpg c40fb3e3-0ead-445a-8c15-8332c354b37e.jpg

I would like to weigh under 200lb and/or fit into a medium shirt. I don't know how closely those two are related, but those two numbers make up my goal. I am willing to also stretch that to having my body-fat be below a certain percentage, but I don't know anything about that so 200lb and Medium are my goals. I hope it's okay that I use both, because I know weight is my primary concern, but I understand that the scale doesn't always tell the whole truth. I hope to have this done by my birthday, so that's my time frame, so my main quest is:

On December 29th of the year 2013, I weigh less than 200 lb and/or fit into a Medium size shirt.

So, I just copied and pasted that from my first challenge thread because that hasn't changed yet. 

My current challenge goals are as follows.

1. I workout 3 times a week. (+Str) Right now this is a modified BBWW, but starting Oct. 3, the Weight Training class I signed up for through the Health and Exercise Sciences department at my college starts.

2. I run for 15 minutes a day. (+Sta) Again, right now this is just elliptical but I may switch to a treadmill when my Weight Training class starts, heck I might even try running outside.

3. I eat as paleo as possible a minimum of one day a week. (+Con) This is a carry over from my first challenge but it was a goal that gave me some difficulty so I'm adding it again. Note though, I do keep really good track of what I eat, but I'm a calorie counter, I like to count them. I say this so that you don't think the other 6 days of the week I'm just eating buckets of sugar and cheese and wondering why I'm not getting skinnier. I'm fairly paleo anyways, simply because I can fill up on veggies for a lot fewer calories than I can with chips or large amounts of bread.

Sidequests, son!

4. I finished three books this challenge. (+Wis) This is a big one for me. My semester started two weeks ago and my reading load is pretty intensive, so I have to make time for it if I want to read for my own enjoyment, which I really do. I am sort of a voracious reader, but only if I try to be. So, 3 books in 6 weeks may sound like a lot, but it really isn't. And any readings I have to do for class may be mentioned in this section but will not be counted towards my 3 books. Really this one means letting my games and letting Netflix take a bit of a break.

So those are my goals. Also, I'm looking for Accountabilibuddies. I didn't have a group last challenge and it hurt my chances quite a bit and I feel like this challenge is going to be harder for me than that one was. So, if you would like to be my buddy, lemme know. If you don't want to be my buddy and you just want to be my friend, well you can lemme know about that too. I always like making new friends.

Down in my signature is a link to my battle log, I'll be there and here posting about how I'm doing, but expect me to go a lot more in depth there.

Level 2 Dwarven Noob, Bluff Conqueror

STR: 3 DEX: 0 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 0 CHA: 2

Challenge thread! | Battle log!

sounds like good challenge goals. You remind me of a friend of mine that starting his fitness quest a couple of years ago (in order to get girls but whatever motivates ya I guess). He's lost quite a bit with good nutrition and only going on his games when he'd "earned" them (working out for so long= x amount of time- THAT was a big motivator especially when a new game came out)

"I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by my side as I save myself."-unknown

Hey Minotaur.  What kind of books are you going to read?  Also, does the length of them matter; considering there's a wide range of lit out there?  Also, I created an accountability group.  I made one last challenge and it worked great.  Made a few friends.  It's RPG Fanatics:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/36721-rpg-fanatics-guild/

name posted here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdHFDcDhISGQ2QUdLc3FDVjg1NHlmeUE#gid=4

Great goals! Best of luck!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

I haven't read the thread yet, just stopping in because I seriously laughed when I saw your thread title - Gentleman Berzerker sounds A W E S O M E! Picturing a Viking biting his shield while wearing a monacle LOL!

Level 2 Dwarfling Adventurer

STR 3 DEX 1 CON 3 INT 2 WIS 3.5 CHA 1

My Second (CURRENT) Challenge

My First Challenge

"You guys inspire even drunk me to do my best :playful: " - Deerskin

I haven't read the thread yet, just stopping in because I seriously laughed when I saw your thread title - Gentleman Berzerker sounds A W E S O M E! Picturing a Viking biting his shield while wearing a monacle LOL!

That is probably the best thing I've heard thus far this week. It's right up there with my ancient history professor, during our discussion on Sumerian religion, "Yes, Ishtar, Queen of the Heavens. And the heavens are where exactly?" looking around and proclaiming loudly, "Son of a bitch, she's everywhere."

Also, I really want to draw this crazed viking now, even though I'm pretty poor at drawing.

Hey Minotaur.  What kind of books are you going to read? 

Well, I'm half way through Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, a friend has loaned me John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, and I really want to reread Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy, but I may dive into Dragonlance, considering I haven't read any of them and apparently they're fantastic.

Also today's been going great. I downloaded MyFitnessPal for my phone and I'm kinda digging that instead of LoseIt!, which is what I was using. Previous to that I did my running for the day and did the BBWW. So yeah. Hope your first days are going as well as mine is. 

Oh yeah, totally forgot, got measurements today. I edited them into initial post up top, so they're up there.

Really glad you took that how it was intended :) I'm also curious about what you read for pleasure - are you looking for recommendations, do you have a list you're choosing from?

I really like how you've put your goals in the present tense/showing ownership - very powerful.

My First Challenge

I read a lot and a lot of different kinds of things. Here is a shelfie. 

5bdced1b-ca91-4f14-887d-8b8561fe462f.jpg

You probably can't see much of what's there but I also do a lot of E-Reading on my kindle. Some of my favorites include John Scalzi's Old Man's War trilogy, D.M. Cornish's Foundling Trilogy, Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash, Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five, Phillip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, G.R.R.M.'s Song of Ice and Fire series... The list goes on.

I'm not necessarily looking for suggestions but I'll take them if you have them!

sir_zpsc3e010fa.png

That is brilliant!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Heyo everybody. This week has been full of asskickery thus far. I haven't missed a day running, I've hit my paleo day, and I've gotten a long ways through Blood Meridian. I had to shift my midweek workout so that just means that it's MThSa this week instead of MWF. All good though.

I had to pick up a bunch of paleo friendly foods at the grocery today because I ended up eating something like a pound of chicken to hit my calorie Goldilocks range and that kinds sucks. Beef Jerky and fruit. Awesome stuff. 

Hope you are all doing fantastic.

"I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." One of my favorite quotes ever! Such a good mantra, especially for these challenges :) 

I also laughed out loud at work when I read "asskickery." I may have to use that at some point. And you're right about beef jerky and fruit. Bomb.com. I buy these sometimes and they really help! --> http://www.stevespaleogoods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1516

Congrats on such a great first week!

Good to hear you're doing so well! Ugh about the chicken - first challenge I ran into that same "350 calories left at 9pm what do I eat??" so it was a lot of dates and yogurt for me!

Carry on as you were, old chap-berzerker!

My First Challenge

So my first week went well. Technically I sort of missed a day of running. Kind of. I ran for about 7 and a half minutes. But! Those were outside. Actually running. Which I haven't done of my own volition in probably forever. I need more training and better footwear before I start really hitting it. It was fun though even though my shins still hurt. I'm counting it, I had to walk 12 minutes home.

Everything else has been golden this week. I probably need to pick up the pace on my reading a bit more, because Blood Meridian is a long book.

Also, Nerd sharing time! I've been perfecting my Magic: The Gathering deck with a friend, spent last night doing that. I'm going to be running a zombie mill where my output every round is (1/2x)*16 where x is the number of zombie type cards I have out. If my math is right, starting with 8 zombies, I could have 2048 zombies in two rounds. :D F*** Yeah, zombies!

So, today was a good day. Just finished my workout, I know it's pretty late, but hey, better late then never. Also got a ton of reading done today, which is pretty great. Blood Meridian is a complex book, though I'm hoping some things become a bit more clear as it goes on.

You all start your week on the right foot?

Great, solid goals, man! Excited that you had a good first week and equally excited for that good to keep rollin'!

Also, Nerd sharing time! I've been perfecting my Magic: The Gathering deck with a friend, spent last night doing that. I'm going to be running a zombie mill where my output every round is (1/2x)*16 where x is the number of zombie type cards I have out. If my math is right, starting with 8 zombies, I could have 2048 zombies in two rounds. :D F*** Yeah, zombies!

Starting with 8 zombies on the board: (1/2x)*16 in two rounds would be 512... 4*16=64 [rnd 1]. Then assuming you didn't have any die/didn't have to sac any of 'em (hey, you never know what your opponent is up to...), 64/2=32*16=512. Still a butt-load of zambies. AAH MY BRAINS! I used to have what we affectionately called the b**ch deck. It consisted of griffins, armored ascensions, vigilance-enchantments, some o-rings and a couple utility cards for flavor. LOVED that deck. Griffies are easier to get out than angels, they cost less, they still fly, and if you imagine it just right, you can watch them swooping down to peck the eyes out of your enemies. Muahahhaa!!  Undead decks, built right, are tough mudders, though. They just keep coming back!! Just gotta watch out that no one exiles your graveyard. ;)

Goblin decks for the-- *BOOM*

Weaver, your math is so much better than my math. There is a reason I'm taking college algebra again.

So, yesterday's workout was my most badass workout yet. I'd been letting Game of Thrones marathon in the background while I wrote papers, so I paused that and ran for 15 minutes and then I did my three circuits while Game of Thrones played. I did push-ups to the oath of the Nights Watch and I did squats to Khal Drogo pledging the kingdoms of Westeros to Daenerys Stormborn. It was magnificent.

"Khal Drogo pledging the kingdoms of Westeros to Daenerys Stormborn"

Was that when he poured molten gold on her brother?  In the back of my mind I squealed with joy watching that guy go down.

Nope, after that when Jorah stops the wine seller from poisoning her. 

What a week though. Holy cow. I got all of my workouts in I got a lot of reading done and I had my paleo day. I missed a day running, unfortunately, but that was yesterday, My excuse was I was hiking 6+ miles with metal_weaver and FalseAesop. After 6+ miles of steep up and downs, by the time I got home my legs had decided they were too tired to run. That's okay. They earned their rest. Be sure to check out weaver's pictures, there's some killer shots in there.

Good week? Great week.

Also, I'm giving myself the title Bluff Conqueror, because I think I earned it.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines