Sambalina needs a hobby

Sambalina

Hey guys :) I'm glad you like the shoes. I have yet to use them in their glittery state, but I used them twice before I awesome-ized them. I can't say I noticed a huge difference to my squats, but I did manage some solid 45kg work, which was great.

I am feeling super shitty this week. It's been over two weeks since I've seen KJ, and I don't know when we'll get together again. It's really starting to make me feel bad. I am trying very hard to be supportive, and definitely not nagging or blaming him, but I'm not sure what to do. What's the point of a boyfriend if I can't see him. We've never talked on the phone, so maybe I should ask about that... it's not necessarily the not seeing each other that's a problem, but the lack of quality communication. So... what do you think I should do?

Also feeling down because I'm still sick. It is making it so hard to get to the gym in the morning. More public holidays this week, so more missed gym days :(

Plus, I'm just feeling down. A few challenges ago I did some mood monitoring stuff to address the fact that I'd sometimes/somewhat regularly get 'down' for no real reason. I've been pretty good through a ton of shit this year (break-ups, crazies, moving, travelling, new job, etc), but these past week and a bit - it's like it's all hit me at once. I hate feeling like this, and I make it worse by feeling bad that I'm feeling bad... ugh. Add in a sore throat, trouble sleeping, missing my boyfriend, and increased work stress (department;'s being audited), and I feel crap.

You guys got any suggestions for all of that? I'll take advice on anything from the boyfriend to the stress to the min-depression.

I'm thinking I might try to go to the sauna this weekend and just relax, maybe get a massage. Other ideas?

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Awww it really sucks that you are feeling down :( It is always so much harder when you are sick to feel good about things - but props for still making it to the gym on some days. I think your ideas of a visit to the sauna & massage are great ideas. You could also pamper yourself with a new haircut, or some other type of beauty regime if thats your thing? I also think that trying to talk to KJ over the phone might be a good idea - if it doesnt work for you then you can move on from it but it may give you the contact you are after.

Did you ever work out in previous challenges what could trigger your down mood? Sometimes we just get a bit down for awhile for no reason and we shouldnt feel bad about it! life is tough - but you are strong and will come out of this soon

Well done on the 45kg squat work though :) and keep up the great work

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

hey Sammie.  Look after yourself hunnny!!

On the KJ front, looks like you're falling into a similar pattern where your attention on people may be a little too focused on him (i'd watch for that).  2 weeks is a long time for no communication though, so if the phone call doesn't work what about packing up a lunch/dinner and popping over to his work for a quick 20min break?  It doesn't have to be a long visit, it just has to be a little time spent together.  If his work is out of the way, then make a day of it for yourself - find something fun and interesting to do nearby with *other* friends. 

What makes you feel good?  Something that will totally take your mind off of things?  If it's a sauna and a massage then do that, if it's a hike do that, if it's a trip out of the city to some beach town with expats, then do that.  From previous months I've noticed things like doing things you haven't done yet, or long skype convo's with your family and friends have definitely helped you in the past. So maybe give that a go too.  It's hard to be away from home and be ill and miss your boyfriend and be cooped up in your apartment, so i see why you're feeling the way you are.  Are you doubting your relationship too (you didn't mention it, but i'm wondering)?

you're awesome Sam.  I'm sure you'll get through this malaise the same way you've come through the rest.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Did you ever work out in previous challenges what could trigger your down mood? Sometimes we just get a bit down for awhile for no reason and we shouldnt feel bad about it! life is tough - but you are strong and will come out of this soon

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a hormonal thing. They never (well, in recent years) last more than a couple of weeks. It's just something I've got to get through :)

On the KJ front, looks like you're falling into a similar pattern where your attention on people may be a little too focused on him (i'd watch for that).  2 weeks is a long time for no communication though...

I'd both agree and disagree with the too much focus, AB. I'm aware that I do tend to over emphasise the importance of the guys I'm involved with, but I'm not really sure I can stop it. If I'm in a relationship, it's a pretty high priority for me, and nothing I've ever tried has changed that. However, I AM aware of it and I am spending a ton of time with other people - random expats, co-workers, and my awesome friend Bekah who lives across the road. 

And Skyping my friends and family is a great idea! I have the day off tomorrow, so I'll see who's free for a catch up :)

And thank you for the support :) I'm just such as happy person 90% of the time, so any semi-persistent down-ness feels about 10x worse than it actually is, simply because my 'normal' is so high.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Oh boy, I did not want to get out of bed this morning. I am such a morning person, but with it getting darker and colder, I am struggling. It was even more difficult to get to the gym. I'm still feeling tired and run-down (and this week has been not so great with my food choices). I almost turned around and came home. But, I got in there and I did a workout. I know I should feel proud of that, and I'm going to try and focus on it, but I had to deload  my lifts by 10-20kg just to get through 5x5. So, I did what I always do when this kind of thing happens, and focused on form instead of PR's. I'm going to go to the gym again tomorrow morning to make up for it being closed and missing a session on Wednesday.

Eating went a bit off track this week, but I'm committed to getting back onto my healthy habits. 

I got to see KJ on Wednesday night! I had been questioning whether it was worth dating him for all the stress not seeing him was causing. However, the minute I saw him, I knew it was. He was really wonderful and seemed to have missed me just as much as I missed him, so I'm feeling much better about it all. We still need to talk about how long the intense work schedule is going to last, but I can definitely do it for a while longer - I feel like we have something that could be quite special, and I certainly value him highly enough to try. So, that decision is a weight off my mind.

Ergh, want to crawl back into bed!!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Well it sounds like you have perked up a bit from your illness but not all the way there yet, hopefully you'll make a full recovery soon. If you can't eat well it should help you recover quicker but easier said than done when you are crook, I know from my own recent experience.

Glad you got to see the boy again and the chemistry is still there ;)

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Those are some epic lifting shoes!  I bet there are a fair number of us who want a pair now :P

As for the boyfriend issue, I'm glad you got to see him.  2 weeks with no communication is rough, and not exactly the best thing for a relationship.  I've done several long distance relationships myself, with maybe 6 months in between visits at times.  Communication is essential for any kind of relationship to work, but especially for one with distance/time between being with each other.  Skype is a great tool, but if I might throw out a suggestion, work on setting up a "skype date" with KJ for a couple times a week where y'all spend 20 minutes or whatever time you can focused on each other over skype, no distractions etc.  It's a tough thing to make work, but you can do it!

Good luck and keep on rocking the challenge!

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

well my expierience is that good and bad moods are like waves in that graph

. normalgraph.jpg

They have to follow one after the other to create some balance of energy or smth. And we are not always capable of jumping from one to the other. Sometimes it happens naturally without our control.

And so for me - the best I know I can do while having down time is to relax (movies, music, walks, massages, sauna, etc.) and wait for tides to change in my favour. In the mean time I'm doing my best to not fall off wagon completely - but then it's strictly reasoning - not from heart.

The worse thing I can do on the other hand, is killing myself over feeling bad and pushing myself into deeper state of sadness, hopeless and deepression... :)

good luck with your BF - spending as much time together as possible sounds really wise IMO - talking through phone or skype can be a substitute but only for some time = u can't hug through a phone right?  So I would do my best to spend as much quality time together as possible :) and only YOU can know, how MUCH is ENOUGH for you.

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Hey guys - long time no see :) I just haven't been in the mood to update, but I'm back in the swing of things this week and it all looks set for me to have a killer end to the challenge. I'm back at the gym in my regular schedule, feeling more energetic, and my good mood has returned. It was a rough couple of weeks, but I'm feeling great now.

As for goal progress:

My squat goal will probably not get met this challenge, as I was sick and had to back way off. Now I'm working back up again, but I want to do it slowly and really focus on my depth and getting it all feeling good. This goes for all my lifts, actually. So, I'm going to add only small amounts of weight (2kg) once every 3 sessions and just inch my way up. I'm still following StrongLifts, with some added posture accessory stuff added on the end, I'll just be progressing slower. My last two workouts have felt just fantastic!

My no candy/sweet snacks goal is going ok. I'm seeing slow improvements, but nothing like the 'cut it out completely' goal I had originally. And maybe that's ok. I've definitely reduced it by a huge amount. And I randomly started tracking all my food and have been doing it reliably for nearly three weeks. That's been really helpful.

Get some hobbies - I've done my Pinterest projects, and just did a bonus one - I made a pumpkin cheesecake from one of my boards for the staff party tonight.

I've been to tons of meetups, and have a couple more booked in before the end of the challenge.

Save $700 a month. Well, I managed in September, but October is going to be tight. I had to go have a gyno exam and tests, which cost nearly $200, which I hadn't budgeted for. My main tests all came back fine, but they found some (pretty normal) bacteria that can/will lead to a UTI and want me to come in for some antibiotics - which I'm going to do. I don't know how much a second visit will cost, so if it's normal doctor prices, no worries... if I have to do something extra, I might not make the goal this month. But, I'd rather be healthy!

As for life? It's good :) My best friend is coming back to Korea tomorrow and I'm going to get her from the airport. She's staying with me until she finds her own place - which will be fun as long as I can maintain the right mindset (I live in a tiny one room apartment). Things with KJ are good. I got to see him twice last week, and out date on Saturday was so awesome. I asked him out for lunch - and he actually had the time! I was expecting a quick lunch out, one, two hours at the most. Well, we ended up having a sushi picnic in the park/forest, talking and cuddling heaps, and I really feel like we became closer. Then we went for Korean traditional tea and cake and I ended up going home about 6.30pm. Quite the lunch lunch date! I've never taken a relationship this slowly before and it's really interesting to be able to sit back a little and watch/feel the connection grow, rather than the guy just be around 24/7 and declaring his love for me after a week.

Ok, so that's me :) Have a great week everyone!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

good to see you're still alive Sam and i'm glad to hear your best friend will be back soon :)

Have a good week.

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

Great to see you are much happier :)

I think the progression you are taking on your lifts is a great way to go - my coach always talks about how it isnt good to work at 100% of your max all the time, so this change will probably do you some real good in the long term!

Glad to hear you are all healthy and on track with your goals!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

So glad to see that things are on the up and up for you!  Enjoy taking the relationship slower, it's a great feeling :)

-KiltedCowboy

good to hear you are back in action our Heroine :)

here's to strong finish :D

tumblr_mdrngwtTYU1rfjkwpo1_500_large.gif

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Lol, Panczo :D

Thanks for the support guys!

Well, another week down! One more to go. This has been a great week for the gym - I've gone 3/3 times and lifted really solidly, had some impressive DOMS, and it's made me feel great. However, contracting this greatness is the fact that my friend arrived to live with me, in one room for two months, on Thursday evening. I love her to bits, but she talks a lot and has already managed to nearly flood the apartment and break a shelf. My feelings of my own identity and all my coping strategies are based around having a quiet, personal environment to work through the day in, and that's been majorly disrupted, so it's causing me a significant amount of stress.

KJ, who I saw on Saturday, suggested I take it as a learning experience - which is how I was trying to frame it to myself also. It was nice to know we approach problems in a similar manner. However, he is thinking of taking on extra work... on top of the insane hours that he already does. If that happens, I will more than likely have to break up with him, as only seeing him once a week is as low as I can go and still enjoy the relationship. All this worry... not feeling too hot :(

But, I refuse to let it get the better of me. I am doing my best to eat healthy, and I will definitely keep lifting. I've got a meetup or two next weekend, and today I'm going to climb Namsan, a hill/mountain in Seoul with amazing views. I'm just going to do it alone for some 'me' time. Then I'm gong to check the shoe store for possible winter boots.

Ok, I'm off to check up on you all :)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

This has been a great week for the gym - I've gone 3/3 times and lifted really solidly, had some impressive DOMS, and it's made me feel great.

See the shoes did make a difference :):lol:

Hmm, visitors.  You get a big build up and excitement about them coming then once they're there you have to deal with the practical reality of sharing your space and coming home to someone else being there. I think some time on your own away from the flat will probably help, going for a walk or a swim or something. If she's going to be staying for a long time you might need to try to agree some times when you get the place to yourself and some times she gets it to herself? These things are easier said than done though, it wouldn't be pleasant if you end up making her feel uncomfortable.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Great work on the gym stuff!! glad to hear thats all back on track.

I know what you mean about the visitor - i have a tough time with stuff like that as well, and i am currently adjusting to new housemates myself. I think that the climb by yourself is a great idea to get some time to yourself and time to de-stress a little. Have you talked to KJ about what would happen with you guys seeing each other should be take on more work? It would be a shame to have to break it off because of work commitments :(

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Haha, Dom - maybe they did!!

So, I went back to the doc on Monday and got some antibiotics. I've never had this before - but I had to take four pills all at once and that was it. I did it Monday night and since then... well, it was like internal Armageddon! Nausea, gas, bloating, exhaustion, muscle fatigue, moodiness, cravings... not so cool. I'm doing my best, had an awful day food-wise yesterday, but am committed to making today better. I've already had a healthy home made smoothie for brekky, and have pre-made a salmon+spinach salad for lunch. 

My muscle fatigue is so bad that just turning over in bed makes me 'feel the burn' - it's really unpleasant, So, I skipped the gym this morning in favour of a gentle walk in the sunshine. I'll see where I am and how I feel tomorrow morning and might go then. So, to clear up some bacteria (that seems to be considered so harmless that in NZ we don't even test for it), I've been sick nearly all week :(

This challenge, while not a failure, has definitely not been one of my better ones. I'm going to spend some time next week coming up with some goals that are fun, and probably attaching some rewards to them.

Catch you later Nerds!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

aw Sam, i'm sorry to hear that you're so ill.  There's been a lot of that going around this challenge. maybe it's a change of season thing?  Feel better soon (good healthy food is definitely a good way to go :) )

Fun goals sound ideal - especially at this time of year when things start getting a little stressful.

My challenge

sorry to hear that Sam, hope you will feel better soon

and yeaaaaa fun goals are always fun to do :)

I've never heard of that either, 4 in one go sounds a bit weird to me. Hope you pull up ok Sam, so crap being ill.

I know what you mean about this challenge, it's been a really tough one for me too and not done so well on the goals this time. Strange it seems to have happened to a lot of us this time around. I was thinking the same thing, back to some simple fun goals for the next one I think.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

hey Sam, how was the final week of the challenge?

Man I hope you are feeling better Samba, being sick with internal Armageddon is never fun

-KiltedCowboy

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines