• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Elysian Knights Team Thread

Sure, feel free.  Gruffydd is joining for sure and a couple of the others from our newbie challenge are also hopefully joining in on this one. 

What are you into for martial arts?  I'm in Judo but am doing a lot of bodyweight training right now, so I went assassin for this challenge.

Shotokan and Judo. Although, I made a serious mistake and decided to leave it for a while to go pursue bodybuilding in a gym setting. Worst. Decision. Ever. -.- You could probably school the hell out of me in randori. :D

Sometimes leaving for a bit reminds you why you were there to begin with :-) 

I'm on a low spell with Judo right now and I'm only there one day a week to teach the kids and attend seniors' class.  I had to cut down some due to burnout and something else I wanted to do the other judo night. 

Hey! You mind if I join your team for this challenge?

Welcome Kishi!

Could you say more about why bodybuilding was a mistake?  I'm looking to add strength and endurance training to complement my aikido.  Are there pitfalls to watch out for on that trail?

Welcome Kishi!

Could you say more about why bodybuilding was a mistake?  I'm looking to add strength and endurance training to complement my aikido.  Are there pitfalls to watch out for on that trail?

It was a mistake in that I'm poor, and I could only afford either a gym membership or dojo fees. I picked the gym, when my heart was in the dojo. That's all it was. Given that it's possible to accomplish my aims with calisthenics alone, I basically set myself up in a bad situation, one where I'm no longer training as I would like to.

Strength and endurance training totally work well with martial arts, and you should do so with as much energy as you can spare. Just don't deprive yourself of joy in the process.

Oh, that's right, we're supposed to post links. Mine is actually linked in my sig, under my stats. Y'all feel free to drop on by!

Okay, I posted my goals for the next challenge here.  I decided to join the Rangers because my goals are for strength and flexibility. 

My martial arts goals are on the continuous improvement level.  I don't even want to think how I would quantify "kept my focus on my partner", "blended smoothly with the attack", "maintained good posture while taking falls" and all the other things I'm working on.  In any case, I will keep working on aikido without outside motivation.  This group is for the hard stuff.

Hi Mistr!!

Greetings all, posted my challenge this evening:  http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37321-teirins-second-challenge/#entry699462

It's starting well.  I worked the last 14 days and am taking the next two off.  Workout starts tomorrow :-)  Course work for my life goal might start tonight.

Glad to see most everyone back, or planning to be back.  I hope Faeprice joins up again too.

So glad to be here!  You guys are totally awesome, and excited for our newest member too.  Hi all!  I'll post my link tomorrow.  I need to go brush lots of tiny toddler teeth right now.  Good night all, and I hope it was a great start to everyone's challenges.  If not, start over tomorrow!!!

FaePrice has pointed out that we need a battle cry.  This is a good point.  The only thing that comes to mind is "Not the face!" which is not really as optimistic or warlike as it could be.  Any thoughts?

LMBOWCMF!!!

(Laughing my butt off while covering my face)  hehe.

Hmm.  Maybe we should start with some themes?  And then that will naturally lend itself to battle cries and such?  So what inspires everyone and what do we want to emphasize in our little group?  For me I'll say:

Overcoming adversity, hardship, fear, etc.

Cheering each other on/support

Personal accountability instead of looking outside and making excuses

Doing our best, but accepting it if it isn't as good as we hoped

Focusing on the postive

Becoming better, stronger, etc.

Gratitude

Anyone else want to chime in?

Agh, yesterday was a total clusterf-bomb and I didn't sign up for the challenge... but may I still hang out with you guys and kind of unofficially do the challenge? Teirin knows how I have a tendency to overstuff my days...

I went to a local martial arts club last night; there was a 4th-degree judo black belt, a judo shodan/BJJ purple belt, 4 other LARGE YOUNG MEN of varying belts... and me. Eep! I spent a lot of time working on some of the BJJ techniques they were showcasing, did some ne-waza at the end... came home exhausted and sore. The higher belts/instructors were very careful with me, the young fellow at the end somewhat less so.  :playful:   Lots of BJJ/judo crosstraining (and very effective stuff for groundwork, can't wait to show Teirin!). Working on the ground game will be good for me, my right ankle is suffering from the bit of standup randori we did. Practice was from 9 - 10:30 PM, I am half-dead today...

So. Continuing to work out at the gym, build muscle and endurance through weight training and joining the martial arts club, and remembering to eat regularly (especially breakfast) - those are my goals. Guild? Still hopelessly bewildered, guess that makes me an Adventurer at this point?

As for a battle cry... as a stubborn little cuss who has struggled all her life to keep up with her brother, her father, her husband, etc. and so on (always out of my weight class!), my cry has always been:

I!
CAN!
SO!!!

Hey! I managed to sign up for the challenge after all!

Still wavering on a guild. Considering Monks (because of the martial arts and the zen-relaxation I get from weight training) and Scouts (because hiking and woodcraft and some combat and being able to navigate and general all-round generalist stuff... in general), and Teirin suggested Warriors (because weight training and rawr! strong like tractor!).

So, yeah. Here I am!

As for a battle cry... as a stubborn little cuss who has struggled all her life to keep up with her brother, her father, her husband, etc. and so on (always out of my weight class!), my cry has always been:

I!

CAN!

SO!!!

Hi techmom!  Good to see you again.  I think you can join a challenge up through the second week.  Nothing magic about getting your thread started on the first day.

I love your battle cry.  Let us know when you pick a guild and post your new challenge goals.