• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Elysian Knights Team Thread

Not bad, not bad. Had some tumult at the end of last week, but it ended up evening itself out. Ready to move forward with week 3.

I have left off the add'l aerobic workouts because I went to both judo and BJJ last week. Still lifting 3x weekly... and on Friday I did not do a 2nd workout of any kind because I just felt wiped/sleepy from the lifting. I went up on almost every weight, and  even if I didn't I increased the reps toward my goal (8 reps means the weight remains the same, fewer means I decrease, 4 sets of 12 means that I increase next time).

Eating breakfast, remembering to take my vitamins. Those are my challenges.

A general question (okay, lots of questions) for everyone:

I had a crappy day because of uncontrollable events - but it screwed my schedule and put me into a bad headspace. How important is it to be in the'right' frame of mind to exercise? What do you do to turn your mood around - or is it better to take a deep breath, take the night off and begin anew the next day?

Does it matter according to what activity you are doing? Me, I'm taking the rest of the day off and trusting that the dawn will bring a new start, but I'm wondering about how other people handle it...

A general question (okay, lots of questions) for everyone:

I had a crappy day because of uncontrollable events - but it screwed my schedule and put me into a bad headspace. How important is it to be in the'right' frame of mind to exercise? What do you do to turn your mood around - or is it better to take a deep breath, take the night off and begin anew the next day?

Does it matter according to what activity you are doing? Me, I'm taking the rest of the day off and trusting that the dawn will bring a new start, but I'm wondering about how other people handle it...

For me, if I just get started and listen to great music while I do it, exercise always helps.  Even if I'm in a horrible mood, if I just turn on a music video on YouTube that is exciting and upbeat, I can't stay unhappy!  I don't usually find taking the day or night off very useful.  It just makes me feel worse.  Calling an optimistic friend helps the most, or journaling out my emotions (on the computer or paper and pen) is great too.  I used to eat to make everything "better", but now I don't have to do that anymore!  I can't even believe that is true.  lol  But apparently I learned some other coping skills that are way better.  Oh, I also find it really helpful to just google how to feel better.  Whatever I am struggling with, I just google for solutions and read articles and websites until I find hope again.  :)  I hope these help, or you can find your own.  :)

Hm, I may not be a good person to ask, as I hate exercising, but taking an evening to do something I like and then doing the workout the next day usually works for me. Everyone has their differences, though. :)

My favourite (in this case, planned) activities (judo/BJJ, lifting) necessitate a certain mental state, or I can get injured. Or injure someone else.

Hm, I may not be a good person to ask, as I hate exercising, but taking an evening to do something I like and then doing the workout the next day usually works for me. Everyone has their differences, though. :)

That's definitely what I'm doing for the evening; tomorrow is another day. :)

Well, me, I'm of the opposite persuasion. If I'm pissed off or if I've had just the worst day, I find that exercise helps. It's the thing that restores me back to balance. It's a reminder of who I used to be and how far I've come since then, and that I have control over something important.

Generally, what helps me is to watch a video of people doing things that I want to be able to do. If I'm going running that day, it's a running video; if it's calisthenics, then I watch one of those. And I just think about how they all started off where I am and how far they've gotten, and I feel this fire in me just rise up.

I don't always listen to music, but if I do, it's either fast techno-electronic music or the angriest metal/orchestral I can find. It gets my blood moving and I can't sit still. I pace and pant and swear like a man possessed, and at the end, I'm laid out on the floor, victorious over myself.

That's just me, though. It's your walk, and you gotta do what you think is right.

I'm going to second the music notion and the workout can help notion.  Neither of them work all the time for me but look at the number of times you dragged me to Judo when I was in a crappy mood and I was bouncy by the end of it.  Hope you relax tonight *hugs*

Hi Everyone!  Another question for you:  what got you started?  What motivates you in general?  I know part of that is in your challenge setup but part of it isn't.

My stated main motivation is to get stronger so I can fight with the big guys at judo.  This is true and my current focus but I was reading the newer interview with Staci the other day and I really liked what she said about wanting to be able to do anything without worrying about physical limitations (heavily paraphrased).  That's not all of it either.  When I started Judo, the motivation was my friends worrying about me not being able to defend myself.  When I started watching my weight and seriously working on getting into better shape, my motivation was that ALL of the women on my Mom's side of the family have type 2 diabetes.  I'm dodging that if I can.

So that was a bit of a ramble but I hope this'll prompt some more discussion here.  It was nice to see everyone answering Techmom yesterday so let's try to keep it going :-)

Also, does anyone have any good receipes for fresh tomatoes?  There was a 5 lb box on sale and it had to come home with me.

I worked out before it was cool. :)

My motivations are kind of out of left field, but bear with me. So: I'm a religious man. Came up in faith as a hardened fundamentalist. But for me, it wasn't enough to just do and believe these things because I was told to. I had to understand it for myself. Eventually, I get to everyone's favorite chapter on spousal relations, Colossians 3, where women are told to serve their husbands. Everyone I knew kinda stopped reading after that point, but I read the next part which says that husbands are supposed to love their wives. And I thought to myself, wait a minute. Whoever that woman is, she's going to be doing this awesome thing for me. If I love her, then I will do awesome things for her too.

I figured, really, the first thing I owed her was to become as close to an object of beauty as I could. Because she'll be beautiful to me, and it's the least I could do.

That's pretty much been at the heart of my workout motivation ever since... even though I never found her.

Wow, it's a good thing you didn't want it narrowed down to just one motivation! (which is like picking a favourite book...)

1. Like Teirin said - not being limited by my physicality, at least to the point that I can do anything about it! I want the muscle mass and the bone density that goes with it as I age - no dowager's hump for me!

2. Me being active and in good shape motivates my husband to do likewise. His father died at 55 of a massive heart attack; my husband is 50 now and I'm far too young to be a widow. So some years back I started changing the ways that I cooked and I got into judo as a hobby, and he pursued karate (so I wouldn't beat him up, he claimed. :redface:  ) As Kishi said - it's part of the pact we have with each other to stay fit and healthy.

3. I like the way I feel and look when I'm exercising. I like that my body can do these things. I like that I can challenge myself on long hikes and not feel overwhelmed. And as much as judo is not supposed to be dependent upon strength, the co-ordination as well as the strength means that I can *feel* when I've executed a technique properly. And there's less chance that I'll injure myself in pursuit of my hobbies.

I could go on, but I won't!

Hm, for me it started as a way to lower my weight after developing diabetes. Exercising helped a lot. Now I have a jacket that I like the look of and I want to fit into it. It may not work out, but I'll give it a try, anyway. I do like some of the things I can do now, but I dislike exercising enough that I'm kinda torn about it. Also, I'm lazy.

My favourite (in this case, planned) activities (judo/BJJ, lifting) necessitate a certain mental state, or I can get injured. Or injure someone else.

I agree about making the judgement call for doing martial arts.  I have to have enough brain to both take care of myself and my partners.  Friday night we have weapons class.  Sometime late Friday afternoon I ask myself "can I manage to not hit people over the head with a stick for an hour?".  Because doing strikes is not the hard part.  The hard part is pulling them short if my partner doesn't move. There are usually beginners in class.  As one of the senior students, it is my responsibility to work with the beginners.

On the happy side, I have a lot more energy on Friday evenings since I dropped caffeine and started getting to bed earlier. :)

I go to practice when I'm feeling down or a little off.  I go home and sleep if the thought of rolling on the floor fills me with dread.

Hi Everyone!  Another question for you:  what got you started?  What motivates you in general?  I know part of that is in your challenge setup but part of it isn't.

Also, does anyone have any good receipes for fresh tomatoes?  There was a 5 lb box on sale and it had to come home with me.

Started with aikido?  With weight training?  With Nerd Fitness?

Back in the dawn of time (1981) I was in college and dating a guy who was taking Tae Kwon Do.  He was boasting about how he could kick someone's knees out.  I thought about it and could not imagine a situation where that would be my first choice response.  Still, self-defense struck me as a good idea.  I read through the brochure of the campus martial arts groups and liked the philosophy of aikido. I watched a class and fell in love with the flowing movements and flying through the air.  It has been a very winding road, but I still love the flying through the air.

Now I am getting to the level where techniques sometimes really work.  That is tremendously gratifying.  I can watch the really senior instructors (8th dans) do magic and can see the path to get there.  I WANT that magic.

I've done other types of exercise off and on for a long time.  One summer in high school I biked 2 miles to the Y to go swimming every morning before work, then biked another 3.6 miles to work and 2.8 miles home.  I didn't consider the biking to be exercise.  That was just transportation. Swimming laps was challenging.

I tried out different exercise classes in college.  Racquetball, conditioning, fencing, weight training.  Once I had registered for my regular classes one more credit was free. It gave me something to do that did not involve sitting and reading. I did not train aikido during my last three years of college because I just did not have the time.  My junior year I moved several miles from campus and biked a lot during the warm months.

Fast forward to 1998. I had been in grad school for three years and did not even have a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel. I was depressed that I would be old, fat and out of shape when I finished.  I decided that I might not be able to do anything about getting old, but I sure could do something about the fat and out of shape parts.  I started swimming laps at noon several days a week and went back to aikido.  I treated it like another class with required attendance on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays. I also was doing Scottish Country dancing for fun a couple times a month.

I have been less religious about training three days a week since I graduated and got a real job. My knees have gone from iffy to bad.  Some of that was repetitive stress injuries at a former job and some was from martial arts and dancing. I've been doing physical therapy exercises off and on since 2006.

My motivation is that I want to keep doing the activities I enjoy and get better at them. I don't want to feel like all I can expect is a decline in performance because I'm over 50. [Part of my brain is still insisting that it can't be true, I'm really in my 30's]

Both of my parents developed type II diabetes as they got older. I've put on an extra 10 pounds in the last few years and it is much harder to get rid of than previously.  I want to develop better eating habits so that I can maintain a healthy weight and avoid as many of the lifestyle-induced health problems as possible.

@Teirin - Some ideas for fresh tomatos:

• salsa (add lime juice, garlic, cilantro, onions, salt, hot pepper if desired)
  • gaspacho
  • tomato salad with fresh basil, fresh mozarella, balsamic vinegar and olive oil
  • tomato sauce
  • chili
  • hot dish - This is a regional favorite.  The version I like is normally made with browned ground beef, Campbell's tomato soup, egg noodles and Velveeta.  I made a gourmet version with all fresh ingredients.  I boiled rotini (the only pasta in the house) in the chopped tomato puree until they were partially done.  Then I put all the ingredients in a casserole and baked it 30 minutes.  (I had been planning on making the zuchini lasagne you suggested, but my zuchini went slimy before I had time to make it.) 

Our CSA has been very generous with tomatos this summer.  I've made all of the above except gaspacho.  I'm going to make more tomato sauce with the bowl of tomatos on the counter this week.

I started years and years ago.  I have always been interested in health and wellness, from a very young age.  I always had an awareness about health and tried my best to do healthy things, but my success has been mostly unsuccessful until now.  My REAL motivation to actually start cooking better and really, finally getting motivated to actually make changes was when I got pregnant the first time.  I tried really hard to be as heatlhy as I could during my pregnancy, but it did not go well for me.  Then, when my son was just about to start eating food I became very aware of wanting to feed him the "right" things.  That is what really sent me down this path.  For the last 7 years since then, I have done hundreds of hours of research, cooking, planning, etc. about health.  I have tried it all, and some of it has worked for me.  I'm SO glad I taught myself to cook for my kids, and I worked very hard to feed them very nutritious foods, almost 100% home-made from scratch.  :) 

In general, what motivates me is wanting to look attractive again, and wanting to be spry and have energy and wellness.  I also want to guide my kids well.  Mostly right now, I want to lose weight so that my boyfriend will be attracted to me again.  I know, this sucks.  But it is reality.  He is an AMAZING guy, and so unbelievably good to me and my kids.  But he just isn't attracted to me heavy.  *sigh*  And I want to be smaller too, so I'm not really "doing it for him", but it is certainly the reason I think about the most. 

Started with aikido?  With weight training?  With Nerd Fitness?

Back in the dawn of time (1981) I was in college and dating a guy who was taking Tae Kwon Do.  He was boasting about how he could kick someone's knees out.  I thought about it and could not imagine a situation where that would be my first choice response.  Still, self-defense struck me as a good idea.  I read through the brochure of the campus martial arts groups and liked the philosophy of aikido. I watched a class and fell in love with the flowing movements and flying through the air.  It has been a very winding road, but I still love the flying through the air.

Now I am getting to the level where techniques sometimes really work.  That is tremendously gratifying.  I can watch the really senior instructors (8th dans) do magic and can see the path to get there.  I WANT that magic.

I've done other types of exercise off and on for a long time.  One summer in high school I biked 2 miles to the Y to go swimming every morning before work, then biked another 3.6 miles to work and 2.8 miles home.  I didn't consider the biking to be exercise.  That was just transportation. Swimming laps was challenging.

I tried out different exercise classes in college.  Racquetball, conditioning, fencing, weight training.  Once I had registered for my regular classes one more credit was free. It gave me something to do that did not involve sitting and reading. I did not train aikido during my last three years of college because I just did not have the time.  My junior year I moved several miles from campus and biked a lot during the warm months.

Fast forward to 1998. I had been in grad school for three years and did not even have a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel. I was depressed that I would be old, fat and out of shape when I finished.  I decided that I might not be able to do anything about getting old, but I sure could do something about the fat and out of shape parts.  I started swimming laps at noon several days a week and went back to aikido.  I treated it like another class with required attendance on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays. I also was doing Scottish Country dancing for fun a couple times a month.

I have been less religious about training three days a week since I graduated and got a real job. My knees have gone from iffy to bad.  Some of that was repetitive stress injuries at a former job and some was from martial arts and dancing. I've been doing physical therapy exercises off and on since 2006.

My motivation is that I want to keep doing the activities I enjoy and get better at them. I don't want to feel like all I can expect is a decline in performance because I'm over 50. [Part of my brain is still insisting that it can't be true, I'm really in my 30's]

Both of my parents developed type II diabetes as they got older. I've put on an extra 10 pounds in the last few years and it is much harder to get rid of than previously.  I want to develop better eating habits so that I can maintain a healthy weight and avoid as many of the lifestyle-induced health problems as possible.

@Teirin - Some ideas for fresh tomatos:

Wow, you've tried everything!!  And thanks for the recs.  I've been meaning to try making salsa.

I started years and years ago.  I have always been interested in health and wellness, from a very young age.  I always had an awareness about health and tried my best to do healthy things, but my success has been mostly unsuccessful until now.  My REAL motivation to actually start cooking better and really, finally getting motivated to actually make changes was when I got pregnant the first time.  I tried really hard to be as heatlhy as I could during my pregnancy, but it did not go well for me.  Then, when my son was just about to start eating food I became very aware of wanting to feed him the "right" things.  That is what really sent me down this path.  For the last 7 years since then, I have done hundreds of hours of research, cooking, planning, etc. about health.  I have tried it all, and some of it has worked for me.  I'm SO glad I taught myself to cook for my kids, and I worked very hard to feed them very nutritious foods, almost 100% home-made from scratch.  :)

In general, what motivates me is wanting to look attractive again, and wanting to be spry and have energy and wellness.  I also want to guide my kids well.  Mostly right now, I want to lose weight so that my boyfriend will be attracted to me again.  I know, this sucks.  But it is reality.  He is an AMAZING guy, and so unbelievably good to me and my kids.  But he just isn't attracted to me heavy.  *sigh*  And I want to be smaller too, so I'm not really "doing it for him", but it is certainly the reason I think about the most. 

Those are some pretty understandable reasons and it's what motivates YOU that matters, so don't worry about what anyone else thinks :-)

Hm, for me it started as a way to lower my weight after developing diabetes. Exercising helped a lot. Now I have a jacket that I like the look of and I want to fit into it. It may not work out, but I'll give it a try, anyway. I do like some of the things I can do now, but I dislike exercising enough that I'm kinda torn about it. Also, I'm lazy.

You sent me a link and it is an excellent coat.  Did it come in yet?

Good grief, none of us have posted to the team thread in 5 days?  Ouch. 

How was week 3?  Has anything new or interesting happened recently?

I STAND ALONE. ;)

Also, not much. I'm part of the local NaNoWriMo chapter in Raleigh, and we're gearing up for the month. I went out to a workshop on Saturday about self-publishing and the like, which I thought was pretty fantastic.

Otherwise, though, really, everything's pretty okay. I mean, barring some bad stuff in my professional life. ^_^;