Ranger Chat

nightlight

^ word :D

like I tell my kids...

word to me

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Ooooh that idea for breakfast ... fantastic! This might be a saving grace for me!

As for funny ingredients. Um. I'm kind of a wimp. Coconut oil is funny to me. :D But I am going to give it a shot now that my rangers have assured me it's okay to use for cooking, even though it says great for skin and hair lol.

Other things that are great for your skin and hair - avocado, banana, honey, milk, and cinnamon, just to name a few. Fear not!

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

STR 3 | DEX  | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

"If you think you've got 100 extra years to mess around, you're wrong.
This time is real. Your time is now. It's hero time"

- Henry Rollins

Oh hey!  EVOO is?  NEATO!     Yeah, I grabbed the jar of coconut 'oil' and it looked solid, and said 'great for hair and skin' and I said ... Oh hells to the no.  LOL. 

Now I know! :D

It seriously is. When I lived in India on exchange women frequently would oil their hair with coconut oil before bed and leave it over night or while they're around the house. Indian women are known for having the best hair (it's what good weaves are made out of).

I also stopped buying moisturizer. I have a tub of coconut oil for cooking and one for my hair and skin lol.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

for recipes.... I love bacon wrapped anything... chicken... catfish... anything

Well that is just a given!  I found duck bacon at Wegman"s and almost went bankrupt buying it all.  It is SOOOO good.

1st Challenge2nd Challenge3rd Challenge (Current)

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average and being average sucks.

I love coconut oil, very stable to cook with and so good for you. 

But, my secret vice...

duck fat with potatoes. Seriously, if you can fry some potatoes in duck fat, that is heaven. So I am no imagining that duck bacon as the base of a potato and kale hash... 

Gotta go, I have some duck fat in the fridge. Gonna go eat well right now.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I need to vary up my Paleo cooking. I've gotten stuck in a rut with the same three things. A lot of it is because I sublet a room in an NYC apartment with a terrible, horrendous kitchen, so laying out / chopping up / working with lots of ingredients can be challenging. 

Man, now I'm hungry and I'm supposed to be going to bed....

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

My Challenge Thread

Hello my fellow Rangers!

So this is potentially a very silly question, but how does one obtain the STR|DEX|etc. in their signatures? Is this something you set and level up for yourselves? Or does it have to do with challenges as you complete them?

Thanks! :)

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

0%
0%

Check out my first 6-week challenge!

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of them all." - Emperor, Mulan

Hello my fellow Rangers!

So this is potentially a very silly question, but how does one obtain the STR|DEX|etc. in their signatures? Is this something you set and level up for yourselves? Or does it have to do with challenges as you complete them?

Thanks! :)

I believe the basic rule is after your first challenge, you get 15 points to start with divide as you chose.  Each challenge, you can earn them by setting goals with a corresponding number of skill points (i.e., workout 3x per week for 6 weeks to earn 4 STR), with no more than 5 points per goal.  How well you do on your challenge determines how many points you earn.  So if you decide that if you do all 3 workouts for 6 weeks earns you 4 STR but you only make half your workouts, you get 2 STR.  The points are kind of arbitrary though since you set them yourself.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

I believe the basic rule is after your first challenge, you get 15 points to start with divide as you chose.  Each challenge, you can earn them by setting goals with a corresponding number of skill points (i.e., workout 3x per week for 6 weeks to earn 4 STR), with no more than 5 points per goal.  How well you do on your challenge determines how many points you earn.  So if you decide that if you do all 3 workouts for 6 weeks earns you 4 STR but you only make half your workouts, you get 2 STR.  The points are kind of arbitrary though since you set them yourself.

this sounds right... I have been here a while... and I am not certain how it works with the new rule changes

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

The only change to the rules was that you have to complete your first challenge before you get your stat points. It's kind of like your first level up: you choose your class and assign your stat points. 

While arbitrary, we do enjoy handing them out for completed 6 week challenges and mini challenges along the way.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

It seriously is. When I lived in India on exchange women frequently would oil their hair with coconut oil before bed and leave it over night or while they're around the house. Indian women are known for having the best hair (it's what good weaves are made out of).

I also stopped buying moisturizer. I have a tub of coconut oil for cooking and one for my hair and skin lol.

It amazes me that people are so ape over Coconut Oil- I've been using it for literally years on my skin/hair LONG before I started cooking with it.  

But yes- I have one for my toiletry kit- and one for the kitchen. 

And HAI rangers... sorry I've been kind of lonely in and out- I don't have access any more on my computer at work (Well I sort of do- but it's limited) so I can't talk as much as normal.

But I'm here.

I have a challenge this month too- excited to try to keep up with the fabulousness again!!!  WOOT GO RANGERS!!!

Ok, I have a question for everyone. I am definitely coming down with a cold, possibly the flu. Normally, I alternate running and body-weight training throughout the week. I don't want to push myself too hard, but I also don't want to use a cold as an excuse to not workout. Should I keep training despite not feeling 100% or should I give myself a few days to rest and get over whatever I've come down with?

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Ok, I have a question for everyone. I am definitely coming down with a cold, possibly the flu. Normally, I alternate running and body-weight training throughout the week. I don't want to push myself too hard, but I also don't want to use a cold as an excuse to not workout. Should I keep training despite not feeling 100% or should I give myself a few days to rest and get over whatever I've come down with?

It really depends - if you are feverish it will be harder to hydrate effectively, and trying to recover from muscle fatigue on top of illness can really tax your body. On the other hand, I often will work out through a mild cold or sinus infection as long as I don't feel dizzy, nauseated, or just plain terrible. You could sub a walk for running and see how it goes. 

Level 2 || Bespectacled Viking

STR 4.5 | DEX 2 | STA 3 CON 2 WIS 2.5 CHA 2 

Blawwwg

Challenge 2 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

Challenge 1 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

I need to vary up my Paleo cooking. I've gotten stuck in a rut with the same three things. A lot of it is because I sublet a room in an NYC apartment with a terrible, horrendous kitchen, so laying out / chopping up / working with lots of ingredients can be challenging. 

I totally feel your pain. I have almost no counter space! What kind of recipes you looking for? Do you have a main staple item that you want to work around (eggs, chicken, beef, etc)? If you let me know I can pass some recipes your way that are minimal ingredients!

Katara Ravenot

Level 3 Tiefling Ranger

STR 3|DEX 3|STA 7|CON 6|WIS 6|CHA 4

Challenge #2

Challenge #1 

75%
75%

Half Marathon Training 9.75/13.1 miles

60%
60%

Deadlift: 120/200 lbs

“Rocks in my path? I keep them all. With them I shall build my castle.†― Nemo Nox 

And HAI rangers... sorry I've been kind of lonely in and out- I don't have access any more on my computer at work (Well I sort of do- but it's limited) so I can't talk as much as normal.

But I'm here.

I have a challenge this month too- excited to try to keep up with the fabulousness again!!!  WOOT GO RANGERS!!!

YAY I-Jo!     I was wondering about you and hoping we hadn't lost ya to this or that.    Sorry your access is more limited, but very glad to see you still part of the family. :)

Level 77 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

For me personally, I always workout.  I feel that sweat helps get all of the junk out of my body.  It is easier when I ran cause I could just snot up outside and flush it out.  People give me the stares when I do that on an elliptical now.  :)

I would always ramp down the intensity, but I always felt like the workouts helped a bit.   I would also focus on hydrating a lot more than usual.  This not helped increase the sweat/urine output of my body and gave me the feeling that I was "cleansing" myself a bit.  

In all things listen to your body.  If you start exercising give it 10-15 minutes to get warmed up,  If you feel like death, stop.  If you feel good then have at it.  

Hope you feel better soon!

1st Challenge2nd Challenge3rd Challenge (Current)

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average and being average sucks.

I tend to always try to do SOMETHING... and it very much depends on how I feel. 

It really depends - if you are feverish it will be harder to hydrate effectively, and trying to recover from muscle fatigue on top of illness can really tax your body. On the other hand, I often will work out through a mild cold or sinus infection as long as I don't feel dizzy, nauseated, or just plain terrible. You could sub a walk for running and see how it goes. 

this is about where I am on the topic.  Cold/sinus- general discomfort is fine.  But if i'm losing anything from either end and or sweats/chills/fevor. no go for me- I'm in bed with ice cream and soup.  

YAY I-Jo!     I was wondering about you and hoping we hadn't lost ya to this or that.    Sorry your access is more limited, but very glad to see you still part of the family. :)

nope- I"m hear- I tend to only check certain threads super fast- I get a 5 minute "quota" time limit- it's stupid... and I talk so much i waste it typing more than reading.

I'm definitely here- I pop into womens frequently since I can hit a few things all at once- I realized though coming back from a major drastic  cut is WAY harder for me mentally than it was going down to it- so I figured a challenge thread would be good for me!!! WOOT WOOT.  

That and I really do need to get re-centered- I'm about to go postal on someone because of home life. my poor BF's been taking a lashing- not at him specifically I just lash and rage when I'm angry- and he tends to be my rock and listen.  <3 his patience LOL.

yes- crazy jo- still crazy :D

What's the rut you've been stuck in and what type of equipment are you working with?

If you feel shaky and weak, don't workout. focus on fluids and rest instead. However if you feel congested and stuffy, push as hard as normal (or as hard as you can), it will help clear out the infection.  I love running when I have a sinus infection, it's the only time I'm able to breath properly.

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

I did deadlifts and assisted pull ups yesterday, after a few hours I noticed that my thumbs were bruised and slightly swollen.  I asked my roommate who is a basket ball player if that was normal and she said to stop lifting heavy. I have no intention of lessening my lifts but I would like to avoid possible injury. Was this caused by lifting heavy, and if so, how can I avoid it and still train?

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Hello Rangers! I am looking forward to training with you all!

I have started my first challenge on the Ranger path.

I like the Ranger combination of strength, dexterity, and endurance - very powerful combo.

I have a question though - what do you all recommend for improving dexterity & agility?

Morphe

Wood Elf Ranger

Level 1

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

First Challenge - The Forest Path 

Fitocracy Profile

"In all realms of nature there is something marvelous."

-Aristotle

I did deadlifts and assisted pull ups yesterday, after a few hours I noticed that my thumbs were bruised and slightly swollen.  I asked my roommate who is a basket ball player if that was normal and she said to stop lifting heavy. I have no intention of lessening my lifts but I would like to avoid possible injury. Was this caused by lifting heavy, and if so, how can I avoid it and still train?

I had the same problem when I started lifting heavy (heavy for me).  Working on grip strength helped.  Using gloves helped when I started (have since stopped using them).  Backing off slightly on the weight until my grip got stronger helped.  Hanging from the pullup bar helped.  Good luck!

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Level 6 Ranger. Level 1 Monk. STR 11.5, DEX 5.5, STA 11, CON 14.5, WIS 15, CHA 12.5

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Challenge 4 Challenge 5 Challenge 6

Fitbit MyFitnessPal Battle Log

What's the rut you've been stuck in and what type of equipment are you working with?

If you feel shaky and weak, don't workout. focus on fluids and rest instead. However if you feel congested and stuffy, push as hard as normal (or as hard as you can), it will help clear out the infection.  I love running when I have a sinus infection, it's the only time I'm able to breath properly.

I totally feel your pain. I have almost no counter space! What kind of recipes you looking for? Do you have a main staple item that you want to work around (eggs, chicken, beef, etc)? If you let me know I can pass some recipes your way that are minimal ingredients!

Thanks guys! Sorry for taking so long to reply. Work has been wicked hectic over the past few days.

Anyway, 85% of what I make tends to be some sort of one-pot deal. Ground beef or pork chunks with a bunch of frozen vegetables with whatever combination of seasonings I'm in the mood for. Satisfying enough, but gets repetitive. Baked chicken leg quarters have become my friend recently, too, as they are ridiculously easy and the supermarket often has them on sale for cheap

With cooler weather coming along, soups/stews might be a good thing to get a hang of. One of my biggest Paleo fails is that I've never made my own bone broth/stock, which I've heard is incredibly healthy for you. I also almost never eat fish, which is something I keep telling myself I need to fix. Seafood always seems so expensive though.

I also have a slow cooker, which I want to use more, especially now that I'll have a 9-5 job. I'm just terrified I'll come back to find the apartment on fire lol. My other main toys are a food processor, blender, and one of those cast iron stovetop grill pan things.

It's funny...I have like four Paleo cookbooks...I think I've given myself decision paralysis with so many options, lol.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

My Challenge Thread

Oh, slow cookers make things so easy.  I leave mine on during school all the time.  Some times if something is going to be really labor intensive or requires things in stages, I'll leave it on overnight. Are you interested in general methods or actually recipes?

As far as methods go, sounds like you have a decent set up.

For the slow cooker: toss in your meat with enough water to cover it whatever you're making, boneless ribs, tenderloins or roasts work really well. (This can be totally frozen by the way). Toss in chopped onions and minced garlic, maybe some apples or a few prunes (yes, I'm serious) and a little bit of vinegar, salt, pepper and spices.  If your planning on using a dense vegetable like carrots or celery, go ahead and throw them in, but for lighter vegetables wait until 30 min. before you serve otherwise they'll disintegrate.  Cook on low while you're at work. You can pull your meat you and serve whole, cubed or shredded.  Strain and save your juice, now you have stock for later.

For the oven: little bit of oil on the bottom of your pan, meat, salt and spices, cover with a lit or foil. 350* for 20-30 min for boneless, 45-60 min for bone in. 

Stovetop: boneless meat, oil and spices in the pan over med-high heat. turn stuff a couple of times, and wait until it's cooked through.  

For your veggies: steam (veggies and spices in a sauce pan, enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and cover, remove from heat when water boils), sauté (skillet with a little oil, spices and veggies over medium heat until slightly browned) or roast (oil and veggies in a baking pan with spices, bake covered for 15-20 min. then uncovered for additional 10-15 min. or until slightly browned).  Rarely takes more than 30 min.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

I've left my crockpot on for days at a time with no ill effects.  Makes a fantastic broth that way though.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines