Jodi's Two Towers: Serenity and Flexibility

Jodi V

I'm a little jelly of your meditation room, but I'm breathing through it.   :tranquillity:   I share my "meditation room" -- aka the computer room -- with three 70-lb Labrador retrievers.  They are not great helpers, especially when one is just a year old and thinks the other two are in the house specifically to be her wrestling buddies.  My concentration is improving out of sheer necessity, though!

THREE Labs? :nightmare: But wouldn't it be nice if you could harness their excess energy as a generator of sorts? :D

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

THREE Labs? :nightmare: But wouldn't it be nice if you could harness their excess energy as a generator of sorts? :D

Yep, three -- all females.  My husband had a black Lab who was his hunting dog before he met me, but she's a little too old to go out these days.  It takes her almost a week to recover from a hunting trip these days, so she is retired.  I already had a yellow Lab (non-hunting) myself, and then I bought him a black Lab puppy last September.  She graduated summa cum laude from duck dog school last month.  LOL  She's ready to retrieve whatever he can knock down!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

I love labs, we have one.  totally untrained, but I love to watch really well trained dogs.  The only thing my dog will retrieve is a tennis ball :witless: . Have a great rest of the weekend and keep up the great work

Suck it up today so you don't have to suck it in tomorrow!!

"I'm not a princess, I don't need saving. I'm a Queen, I got this shit handled!"

Level 4 Assassin

/not/smart/enough/to/keep/track/of/points

Challenge Thread

That is a LOT of Dominics, Buggs!  LOL  My hubby is one of 7 kids, Gram has 23 grandkidlets and 5 greats.  I had to practice names using the photos hanging on my husband's fridge for months before I met them just to get a .500 average!   :)  I was an only child so family events are complete sensory overload, but so much fun for me!

I totally understand! No siblings and on my Mom's side I was 15 before I had any cousins at all! Boy do I miss being the spoiled only grandkid.

Yeah, I had to learn to distinguish all the Dominics by middle name as well as the Francescas. Frances, Francesca, Franceso, Frankie, Francesca Rose, it's ridiculous especially because Francesca Rose and Francesca, who are cousins, look almost identical.

That made me chuckle a little, maybe you could put that on one of your custom t-shirts and you might have a nice side business. ;)

LOL! The only thing that really, truly sucks about New Jersey is the traffic. I think we are the most population dense state in the nation (and according to a study I once read, the most neurotic!), the roads are stupidly designed and people drive like maniacs. I've been here six years and I actually can feel myself becoming a worse driver. In certain areas there is bad pollution and in certain other areas there is bad corruption, but many New Jersey towns are green suburbs with lots of parks and people with children and happy dogs.

Jodi I went to school in Philly and until recently worked there. I am absolutely madly in love with that city. I still get happy chills when I drive over the Ben Franklin bridge because there is a gorgeous view of the Raritan River and some of Philly's best architecture. 

But again, the traffic!  :nightmare: And from here it takes over an hour and a half to drive there. And yes, I did that commute for a year.

I'm pretty sure there's a link between the traffic and the neuroticism.

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

Hey Jodi! I'm not part of this guild but I'm doing lots of yoga this time around, so checked out your challenge. Sounds like you're aiming to do some pretty high level vinyasa! I've never tried Shiva Rea, what do you like about it? Hope your week 1 went well, looking forward to following along!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Week 1 Summary -- A-

Running

3 runs + weekly distance walk completed: A+

Done!  3 runs as scheduled, plus a 2.3 mile walk on Tuesday and a bonus 2-mile walk on Saturday.  I discovered that I'm not the only parent who walks around the soccer fields while my kid practices.  LOL  I'd really like the distance walks to be a little longer this coming week, so I'll head out to the lake to do the 3-mile loop.  I was so nervous about doing the 22-minute run on the dreadmill Friday, and it went so well!  Now I just have to prepare myself for tomorrow's 25-minute run...  Wish me luck!

Yoga

4x yoga practice/week: B+

I upped my B (for Bonehead) to a B+ because while I totally spaced out and missed a planned practice, I did a LOT of stretching this week toward my goal of flexibility.

Meditation

Meditating 5x or more/week: A

Funny -- now that I'm a week into this challenge, I remember that I said was wasn't going to include the meditation practice in my second challenge because...ummm...it's not that much of a challenge anymore.   :tranquillity:  Do I adjust and give myself a different goal at this point or just give myself an easy A every week?  I'm torn.  Thoughts?

Life Goal -- People IRL

Went to dinner and caught some live music with a couple of friends -- PASS

Had a great time out with another couple on Friday night.  Excited to see what next week holds for my social life :)

Level 2 Amazon Druid

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Hey Jodi! I'm not part of this guild but I'm doing lots of yoga this time around, so checked out your challenge. Sounds like you're aiming to do some pretty high level vinyasa! I've never tried Shiva Rea, what do you like about it? Hope your week 1 went well, looking forward to following along!

Hi, sicil!  I bought two Shiva Rea dvds after doing a short practice that was free from the cable-on-demand feature on my cable tv.  I love her spirit and the guiding commentary she gives during the practice, and I like vinyasa because of the nature of the flow.  I tried a Seane Corn dvd and didn't feel as connected to the practice as I have since I have been practicing vinyasa with Shiva Rea.  It just speaks to me  :joyous:  The dvd I use most is called Daily Energy.  I like that it has a "yoga matrix" so I can choose different concentrations according to my preferences that day and put together my own practice, or I can just use one of the preset practices.  I highly recommend it!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Hi, sicil!  I bought two Shiva Rea dvds after doing a short practice that was free from the cable-on-demand feature on my cable tv.  I love her spirit and the guiding commentary she gives during the practice, and I like vinyasa because of the nature of the flow.  I tried a Seane Corn dvd and didn't feel as connected to the practice as I have since I have been practicing vinyasa with Shiva Rea.  It just speaks to me  :joyous:  The dvd I use most is called Daily Energy.  I like that it has a "yoga matrix" so I can choose different concentrations according to my preferences that day and put together my own practice, or I can just use one of the preset practices.  I highly recommend it!

Great! I love a good vibe, and the right kind of commentary is crucial when you're not doing it live! I'm a member of myyogaonline, and I see that she has a few videos up, so I'll definitely try out some of her stuff! :) Do you ever attend practice at a studio, or is it mostly at home?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Great! I love a good vibe, and the right kind of commentary is crucial when you're not doing it live! I'm a member of myyogaonline, and I see that she has a few videos up, so I'll definitely try out some of her stuff! :) Do you ever attend practice at a studio, or is it mostly at home?

I have never taken a yoga studio class.  I would like to try it sometime in the future, but my pocketbook hasn't allowed it yet.  I'm learning the poses in the privacy of my own living room, and I'm gaining confidence (and ability) at my own pace, which I love.  Besides, I'd hate to deprive my three dogs of their daily entertainment!   :nevreness:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Congrats on a great first week! I would really love to go to a yoga class, but they are so freakin' expensive. I always feel so amazing after a good yoga session. Hmm... might be a good idea for today!

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

I have never taken a yoga studio class.  I would like to try it sometime in the future, but my pocketbook hasn't allowed it yet.  I'm learning the poses in the privacy of my own living room, and I'm gaining confidence (and ability) at my own pace, which I love.  Besides, I'd hate to deprive my three dogs of their daily entertainment!   :nevreness:

Might be something to consider in the future - sometimes studios have a great 'first month' deal. Or there are plenty of groupons out there. It's nice to have someone pay special attention to form: something that you can't do very easily on your own at home.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Meditation

Meditating 5x or more/week: A

Funny -- now that I'm a week into this challenge, I remember that I said was wasn't going to include the meditation practice in my second challenge because...ummm...it's not that much of a challenge anymore.   :tranquillity:  Do I adjust and give myself a different goal at this point or just give myself an easy A every week?  I'm torn.  Thoughts?

Seems to me stressing about meditation is like having guilt for ogling your spouse.

DWD

Hylian Scout

Ok, I need more sleep! Apparently i keep getting your battle log mixed up with your thread. I've been posting there and didn't realize I wasn't posting here! Ugh!

So, AWESOME job Jodi! That is the way to put down week 1!!! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

And I think that a lot of people seem to be readjusting goals for the beginning of this week. If you feel you need more push then I say set the bar higher! You got this!

Hope your Monday has been fantastic! :D

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I woke up feeling blah this morning, lots of little complaints coming from my body.  I decided to take a rest day from the gym.  I hated to do it, because it makes me feel like a failure...  Got up, got hydrated, got coffee (so, you know, dehydrated  :nonchalance:) and got the kidlets to school.  The "slacking" was just nagging at me, so I did some stretching and tried to ignore it.

It would not be ignored.

Soooo...I took my body to the trail and had a go at my first trail run.  It felt great.  I was able to run over half the time, which really surprised me.  The weather was perfect!  Blissed out right now.   :joyous:   :joyous:

These are my happy trail-running feet:

Happy feet

Level 2 Amazon Druid

I woke up feeling blah this morning, lots of little complaints coming from my body.  I decided to take a rest day from the gym.  I hated to do it, because it makes me feel like a failure...  Got up, got hydrated, got coffee (so, you know, dehydrated  :nonchalance:) and got the kidlets to school.  The "slacking" was just nagging at me, so I did some stretching and tried to ignore it.

It would not be ignored.

Soooo...I took my body to the trail and had a go at my first trail run.  It felt great.  I was able to run over half the time, which really surprised me.  The weather was perfect!  Blissed out right now.   :joyous:   :joyous:

Nicely done! I always like the part where our bodies get so used to exercising on a regular basis that they 'remind' you when you slack off. Great job on beating the blah! Trail running is so much fun! :)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Lol, and they do indeed look happy to me!

Yeah, like that working out consistently begins to form that 'can't avoid it habit' in your brain. And you listened to your body- it wanted to run today, so good for you!!!

Hope the rest of your day has been as blissful! :triumphant:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I love your happy trail running feet! I can't run right now due to knee problems, but I'm hoping once I lose some weight I will be able to do so safely.

I know what you mean about the nagging workout feeling. Isn't it wonderful to have a positive addiction for once?

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines