Jodi's Two Towers: Serenity and Flexibility

Jodi V

My positive addiction (thank you, Buggs!) had me on the dreadmill for my regular workout this morning in spite of a lingering ache in my right knee and what I suspect are the beginning twinges of shin splints.  Gonna hafta get full blown before they'll drag me down.  LOL  However, I did get thrown for a loop toward the end of my workout, and I thought I'd share...

I actually set my C25k running app to skip today's workout and move ahead to Monday's workout.  That added 3 minutes to my total running time, but I felt motivated and ready to take it on.  :)  I had run for about 19 minutes of the scheduled 28, and I was still grooving along with knee and shins keeping pace.  My mind wasn't quite as focused as usual, and I was starting to feel a bit winded, so I started with the mindgames (you can check your time at the end of this song...).  Out of the blue, a couple walks up and hops on the treadmills directly to my left.  Literally right.  Next.  To.  Me.  In spite of the fact that my headphones are blasting my Sunshine Dancing music, I can hear every word of their loud, giggly conversation.  Remember, I am already easily distracted.  :)  But that wasn't the worst part.  The real kicker was the sickeningly sweet smell of whatever perfume/bodywash/lotion the woman had on.  It hit me like a brick as soon as she started to move!  Ermagerd...  My real frustration with this was that there were about 30 other empty treadmills at the time (no kidding, Planet Fitness has a TON of treadmills), so why on earth did they have to park themselves right next to me?  *sigh*  I struggled to refocus, but eventually the overpowering smell was more than I could take when I was gulping for air.  I ended up stopping my timer (drat! hate that!) at about the time my normal Friday workout should have ended -- 25 minutes.  I couldn't feel bad about not finishing since I did my whole regularly scheduled workout, but I really think I could have made the whole 28 minutes if not for the sweet flower-fog that enveloped me.

I had to do a lot of deep breathing to cleanse myself of that one when I got home.  And then something weird happened -- I started to cry.

I started to cry when I realized that almost exactly a year ago, I was heading to the neurologist.  It might have been a year to the day, in fact.  I had suffered a neck injury and was experiencing debilitating pain.  I was on leave from my job and spending most of my waking hours on my couch, squirming in agony while waiting to be able to take my next pain pill.  I was on the brink of surgery to repair a herniated cervical disc and fuse two vertebrae in my neck.  Yet today, just a year later, I ran -- RAN, mind you -- almost two miles on a treadmill, completely pain free.

I practice gratitude daily, yet somehow I had managed to forget that my life as I know it is nothing short of a miracle.  I had forgotten the pain and the lessons I had to learn before it agreed to leave.  Today, I am completely recovered, and I didn't have to have a surgery that could have made a lot of the things I enjoy now uncomfortable or nearly impossible.  I cried buckets of happy tears off and on today.  Remembering all the stones that make up my path really helped me put the smelly lotion in perspective.   :tranquillity:  

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Isn't it funny sometimes what brings on those moments of introspection?

Glad they were happy tears, almost freaked out for a moment thinking my Jodi was unhappy! :(

Here is a Happy Sunshine Dance for the gratitude of progress and being better than we were yesterday!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Hope your weekend is awesome!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Hi Jodi

To hear what you went through a year ago, (and that sounds very traumatic - I'm so sorry for you), you've done incredibly to get to where you are today.  I'm so glad to hear you're no longer in pain, and you're making such great strides (literally and figuratively!) in getting your health to peak.

And the smelly noisy lady on a treadmill right next to me would have totally wound me up, too!  Some people, eh!! :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Well, your story really is tough, and I am really impressed how you got to your feet again. You really can be proud of you to have made it through this. And putting something into perspective is a very important ability to level up your life. It is so ridiculous what kind of fuss some people make about nothing. For example, if snow falls in winter.  No kidding, watch German television (especially from the northern broadcasting stations and the trash ones ...). They will air special broadcastings at prime time  because it ... snows. In winter. Every. FUCKING.YEAR. Because every year they get surprised by winter. And that there will be traffic chaos because some people never heard of tires for winter. Just a little example.

Giggly couples drive me insane, though. What I don't get is why the men aren't ashamed to let go of their manliness this way (there is a difference between being in love and just being incredibly silly). Leonidas would turn in his grave.

I am feeling totally with you, but remember

WHO THE HELL WE ARE!!!!

We do not let such idiots steal our inner peace and balance. Next time such a impersonated pain the ass crosses your way, just use the Riddikulus Charm. Imagine her falling flat on her dumb giggling face on the treadmill and crying like a baby afterwards and her prince-charming panicking because his little-buck-teeth-darling-sweetheart-honey-diamond-goldie-lum-lums-facelicking-unit-BIIAAATCH has hurt herself. Helps me dealing with annoying persons without being outraged the whole day.

The voices in my head might not be real. But sometimes they have AMAZING ideas.

STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 1 WIS 1 CHA 1 - Respawned Level 1 Human Monk

Challenge Jan 5 - Feb 15, 2015

Week 2 Summary -- A

Running

3 runs + weekly distance walk completed: A

Done!  Increased my time on the dreadmill to 25 minutes, and got in another 2-mile walk during soccer practice.  The walk would have been longer, but I stopped to chat with some of the other parents about Saturday's game, and before I knew it practice was over.  LOL

Yoga

4x yoga practice/week: B+

Same grade as last week, did 4 yoga sessions and a lot of stretching for my very sore muscles...  I'm starting to think that squeezing one more yoga session into my week may be virtually impossible.  I'll try again next week.  I am happy with 4x a week, since I am seeing increases in my flexibility and poses that used to be very challenging are gradually getting easier.  I am also learning more about breathing and relaxing in order to deepen some poses, so overall the practice has been very beneficial even if I can't get to it as often as I had hoped.

Meditation

Meditating 5x or more/week: A+

Daily practice, so 7x week.  Probably should have done the A+ last week too.  Ahh well...

Life Goal -- People IRL

Invited my sister-in-law over for wine and deck time one evening.  Love her! -- PASS

Level 2 Amazon Druid

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Here's a little happy dance for happy feet and running 25 mins and an overall SMASHING week #2!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Ummm... if you're happy with doing yoga 4x / week - why not keep it that way?

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Great job and I love the gained perspective on the gym incidence.  If I have been stretching properly after my runs, then usually shin splints are a sign to me that I might need shoes.  Not sure if that is an issue for you.  Keep all the solid work in week 3!!

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Awesome job on those goals Jodi! So proud of my Brigade member! :triumphant: :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Jodi, I just read your beautiful story. I'm sorry you had to go through so much pain, but look! You came out stronger on the other side! Now you are running!

We are all really proud of you.

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

Jodi! Where is my Jodi??????????? :sorrow::sorrow::sorrow::sorrow:

Get your backside in here and check in! Ash misses you!!!!!

Seriously, hope all is ok, love ya! :love_heart::love_heart:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Week 3 Summary -- A

Running

3 runs + weekly distance walk completed: A+

Done!  I was able to increase my dreadmill time to 28 minutes before I ran in my 5k race on Sunday.  I also did 2.2 miles around the soccer field while my daughter was practicing on Thursday.  That got me a bonus!  This week I get to start more trail running!  Yay!

Yoga

4x yoga practice/week: B

Slipped a little this week to a straight B.  Body is just not cooperating with my regular yoga practice, and I'm spending a lot more time doing plain old stretches multiple times a day rather than one longer yoga session.  It's not what I had hoped for when I started the challenge, but flexibility is still increasing in little bits, so I'm still happy.  It is beginning to look like I'm not going to accomplish that goal of doing the whole Shiva Rea dvd.  Darn arm balances will be the death of me...  :)

Meditation

Meditating 5x or more/week: A+

Daily practice again this week.

Life Goal -- People IRL

Date night with the hubby and another couple.  Margaritas :) -- PASS

Level 2 Amazon Druid

YAY YAY!  Awesome job, Jodi! :D  So impressive!

Darn arm balances will be the death of me...   :)

I know, right?  So scary.  I don't even know how people progress to be able to balance with their arms.  I showed hubs a few pictures of the arm balancing yoga poses and he just did it with no problem at all & asked where is the issue...  Grr...  I want strong arms!

Good luck with everything!  Have fun with Week 4!  Rawr! :D

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

I am soooooo glad you're back! :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

Awesome on the grades Jodi!

Yay, on the run and treadmill and good work on increasing flexibility! That is progress and that is what is important! (I'm learning that lesson myself, lol. :playful: )

Now go kick Tuesday's butt, pft....... :D

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hi Jodi V, I'm a bit late but nevertheless enjoyed reading about your challenge progress and wins! I too combine yoga and running and think they go perfectly hand in hand. Although, here at the moment it is steadily getting colder so we'll see how long I last ......

Welcome here, it looks like you settled in well already.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Ahhhh, Jodi, missing you something terrible.  :(

What happened?

Last week please check in!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

It's the end of the challenge my friend. Hope it was successful for you. Please come check in, miss you! :love_heart:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines