Wndrwmn009 - Losing Inches, Gaining Strength

Wndrwmn009

Main Quest - Losing Inches and Gaining Strength

For my first challenge I made it my goal to lose weight and stick with a consistent workout plan. While I have accomplished both (though actual weight loss was minimal) I am now realizing that the blanket term of losing weight is very deceptive. I feel like my body is changing in greater ways that can be seen by measuring rather than weighing. I also don't want to put so much power in the number the scale says. I think I have gotten to the point where if the scale says something higher than I am expecting or want to see it doesn't totally ruin my mood. While I have a goal weight in mind, I have to keep in mind that i have never been a weight lifter before so I don't know how my body is going to change and don't want to set myself up for disappointment or failure. I want to be strong, like REALLY strong. I read on Sarah Fragroso's site everydaypaleo.com that she lifts heavy so she is strong enough to be able to carry every member in her family in the event of an emergency! I think that is awesome and I want that kind of strength!

Missions:

• Barbell training three times a week.

For this challenge I will be switching (for the most part) from the BBWW to the Barbell Battalion Rank One workout from the Strength Guide. This will be completed three times a week with a couple of provisions. I am unable to do pull ups at this time and don't have access to the equipment to do assisted pull ups so I will be subbing in bent over rows. Also because I will be lifting at home with my husband I may have to alter what workout I will be completing due to his travel schedule (i.e. when he is not here I will not be lifting by myself). On those days that I am unable to lift I will be completing the BBWW or one of the other workouts outlined on NerdFitness. Bottom line 3 workouts a week focusing on barbell training.

A - 18 workouts completed.​

B - 16 workouts completed.

C - 15 workouts completed.

D - 14 workouts completed.

F - 12 or less.

• Diet - track everything.

I find that most days I feel like I don't eat enough, but other days I eat too much. I will track everything that I consume (whether healthy or not) so I can get an accurate picture of what my consumption is and how I need to alter it especially if I am going to be doing heavy lifting.

A -​ 38 days or more tracked.

B - 34 to 37 days tracked.

C - 29 to 34 days tracked.

D - 25 to 29 days tracked.

F - 24 or less.

• Sleep More

Because I am a SAHM of two young kids I find that after they are in bed and finally settled I stay up MUCH too late! I enjoy having time to myself and with my husband without a child needing something for me (shocking, I know). Along with staying up late I also wake up throughout the night. Sometimes it is just because I wake up for no given reason, but often it is because one of my kids is awake. So the bottom line is I need to get to bed earlier so I can function better during the day and also so my body recover the way it needs to after an intense workout. So my goal is to be in bed by 10:30 each night with Saturday night being an exception unless working out.

A -​ 33 days or more.

B - 29 to 32 days.

C - 25 to 29 days.

D - 22 to 25 days.

F - 21 or less.

Life Goal - Stay on top of budget and tracking

Like many these days I have debt that needs to be paid off. In order to do this I need to not only plan out where every cent is going but accurately track it. Like Dave Ramsey says I need to make my money behave. I will do this by utilizing tools like Dave Ramsey's Gazelle budget and EEBA to budget and track all spending. I want to be a good example of both physical health and financial health for my children so hopefully they can avoid some of the pitfalls I have made.

Motivation:

I want to feel better about myself, be more comfortable in my skin (and my clothes). I want to like what I see in the mirror and know that I worked and earned the body that I have, not just let my body happen to me. I also want to look better for my husband. And most importantly I want to develop healthy habits so I can not only teach my kids how to be fit and healthy but show them by example.

Stats - Start of Challenge:

Height: 5' 5.75"

Weight: 158 lb

Neck: 13.25"

Shoulders: 40.25"

Chest: 35.5"

Bicep: 12"

Waist: 34.625"

Hips: 37.75"

Thigh: 22.25"

First Challenge|Current Challenge|Battle Log|myfitnesspal

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.

The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa,

the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

Sounds great, Wndrwmn!  Welcome to the Brigade!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Sub'd!!

And a BIG AWESOME WELCOME to the Brigade my friend!!

With you and Elbow on board we will blow this right out of the water!!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Sub'd!!

And a BIG AWESOME WELCOME to the Brigade my friend!!

With you and Elbow on board we will blow this right out of the water!!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

As always thanks for the enthusiastic support!!!

Plagiarist.

It's cool though, I'll let it slide this time.

Actually, I'll hold onto it in case anyone forces me to "happy dance", whatever the hell that is, and you can dance in my stead.

GTG click cookies now. The update added an antimatter condenser.

Good luck!

Heard that! lol

And you know exactly what the hell that is my friend!!! :D

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Solid goals.  Similar (at least in theme) to mine: lift often, eat a little less, and sleep enough.

Good luck.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Plagiarist.

It's cool though, I'll let it slide this time.

Actually, I'll hold onto it in case anyone forces me to "happy dance", whatever the hell that is, and you can dance in my stead.

GTG click cookies now. The update added an antimatter condenser.

Good luck!

Yes I suppose I did plagiarize a bit. Deal with it!  :playful:  

I like the contingency plan for not being able to lift without a spotter, and an alternative for the pull ups.

You are going to rock this challenge!

Thanks so much! I definitely need a spotter especially since we have not yet procured a squating cage as of yet (though looking to get one in the near future).

Sub'd.  Look like solid goals to me.  Keep us updated!

Thanks, I am definitely going to try and be better this challenge with the updates. Though if I am not feel free to pester!  :joyous:

Solid goals.  Similar (at least in theme) to mine: lift often, eat a little less, and sleep enough.

Good luck.

Thanks so much Erick! Good luck to you as well!!

Mahoosive welcome!

Love Wonder Woman!

Great quest and goals. :-D

We're a very similar age and height, although no kids yet. 

Thanks Sundae!! After seeing your signature I had to add my own Doctor quote as well!

Whoa... can we be best friends? Without looking at anyone else's threads first, I just posted my challenge thread that is basically the same as yours: barbell training (I'm doing StrongLifts), tracking eating, and sleeping more. I even also marked my height down to the quarter-inch. For that matter, I've also been called Wonder Woman. (Okay, this is starting to get scary!)

So, obviously, I think your goals are awesome! Ha ha... good luck, and I'll definitely be checking back in on your thread!!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Awesome goals! I just love how resilient/persistent you are in planning ahead to deal with life's ups and downs. I know you are going to totally rock this and have another awesome challenge. I look forward to cheering you on!

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Hooray for Whovians!

I am relatively new to the Whovian nation but I am hooked!

Whoa... can we be best friends? Without looking at anyone else's threads first, I just posted my challenge thread that is basically the same as yours: barbell training (I'm doing StrongLifts), tracking eating, and sleeping more. I even also marked my height down to the quarter-inch. For that matter, I've also been called Wonder Woman. (Okay, this is starting to get scary!)

So, obviously, I think your goals are awesome! Ha ha... good luck, and I'll definitely be checking back in on your thread!!

LOL, nice!! Destined to be forum friends! Good luck to you as well, we are going to kick this challenge's ass!

Awesome goals! I just love how resilient/persistent you are in planning ahead to deal with life's ups and downs. I know you are going to totally rock this and have another awesome challenge. I look forward to cheering you on!

Thanks Platypus! Good to have you back with this challenge, look forward to see your progress in your first full challenge!

Hope the first day of challenge is off to great start!  Rawr! :D

Wonder Woman Ready to Strike!  Rawr!

7656248438_ba1caaf3ef_m.jpg

Thanks Kiwi, the day started out rough but it got better!!

First Day Update:

Food:

Well I did track my food today and this is roughly what it looked like:

Breakfast:

• 2 Applegate grassfed beef hotdogs
  • Large Diet Coke from Mickey D's.

Lunch

• 1 package of Steamfresh Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots with organic butter
  • 1 Applegate grassfed beef hotdogs (seriously am addicted to these things and it doesn't help that my daughter isn't eating much these days so I end up consuming what she doesn't eat, win for me in my book)

Dinner

• 1 Chicken breast baked with EVOO and Weber Steak Seasoning
  • Roasted Asperagus
  • Small sweet potato with butter

Snacks

• .5 oz cheddar cheese
  • About a third of a large french fry from McDonalds (I know not a great choice, but hey I still put it in the tracking)
  • About a quarter of a cup of Coconut Bliss Cappuccino Ice Cream

Totals:

Calories - 1447

Carbs - 79

Fat - 89

Protein - 75

Workout

Today was the first day of the Barbell Battalion Rank One - Cycle A from the Rebel Strength Guide. I started with a warm-up of:

• 2 minutes jump rope (which I can honestly say I really didn't fully make it through)
  • 50 jumping jacks.
  • 20 BW squats.
  • 5 BW lunges each leg.
  • 10 hip extensions.
  • 5 side leg step overs (5 each leg in each direction).
  • 10 straight leg swings each leg.
  • 10 side leg swings each leg.
  • 15 pushups.
  • 10 spiderman steps, each leg.

Push Press

• 5 reps with bar - 45lbs
  • 5 reps with 50lbs
  • 5x5 reps with 55lbs

Squats

• 5x5 reps with bar - 45lbs

Workout went longer than anticipated due to a friend stopping by. So time between sets was longer than it would normally be. I really enjoyed this workout and look forward to more. I feel comfortable with adding more weight for my squats next time and maybe even the push presses.

Perhaps a little more reflection tomorrow as it is bedtime, night all!

Wow, what an awesome start for a first day!! Whoo Hoo!!

I'm really proud of you!

So, do you do a rest day tomorrow?

Here is a BIG WOOT on rocking tomorrow!!! :triumphant: :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hotdogs and Diet Coke for breakfast, I approve. Welcome to the guild.

Hey thanks so much. I know a killer combo for breakfast right!! Diet Coke really is my downfall, I should really get rid of it altogether but alas I haven't at this juncture. I use it as my caffeine source since I don't like coffee. Though I do drink tea.

Wow, what an awesome start for a first day!! Whoo Hoo!!

I'm really proud of you!

So, do you do a rest day tomorrow?

Here is a BIG WOOT on rocking tomorrow!!! :triumphant: :triumphant:

Ash, thanks so much. I know I can't lift a lot of weight yet, but I really REALLY like it! :glee: As for a rest day, because of the hubs work schedule this week we are tentatively planning on lifting M/T/Th. Normally we would be doing M/W/F but he has work obligations on Wednesday and on Friday we have a birthday dinner for a close friend so instead of stressing out about getting a workout in before these events we are just going to switch up the days.

Super Duper First Day!  Go you!  Applegate stuff are so GOOOOOOOOD!

Rawr!  Good Luck with everything!  Rawr!

Kiwi thank you so much. Applegate is so good, I think I like the hot dogs more than my kids do!

More Update:

Well I was pushing my luck last night with time and didn't have the chance to reflect or put any thoughts in about my first day. I actually was in bed a minute late, so what do you all think failure for the night? I am pretty pleased that I made it in that time. I was shutting down the computer and turning the light off right at 10:30 (already in bed).

As far as diet. I am not really sure what my target macros should be and am looking for any direction or links for resources that might be helpful. I was pleased with my carb intake, but think my protein intake could be a bit higher. Right now my goal isn't to stick to something specific so much as it is to just track everything and figure out what is going to best for me, my activity level, and my body.

We had a friend stop last night so our workout probably wasn't as intense as it might have been since we had longer rests between sets, but I have to say I am hooked. I really enjoy lifting and look forward to lifting more. I am not a cardio girl. I have never been a runner and I tried the elliptical thing for many years but the result was my feet going numb. Not a really great feeling. At one point in time I had the potential to be pretty athletic, I did track and field in middle school (mostly just high jump) and in high school I was asked to join the swim team on several occasions (though I never did, I didn't want to spend more time at school than I had too). So bottom line, as I learn and get the form of everything down I hope to become lifting beast. I like it and wish it is something I started long ago!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines