Ronin: To Become a Legend

Balmung the Tyro

"Heroes get remembered, legends never die." Six simple words with such a profound meaning, at least to me. It is my goal to be considered by others a "legend". There's something about the word "legend" that appeals to my sense of pride and adventure. I understand that this is a journey that will take a lifetime to complete, but hey, I gotta start somewhere, right?

This will be my 4th challenge here at NF, my very first with the monks, and also my first after a hiatus due to an extremely hectic schedule over the summer. Although I never stopped my journey, I did have to break from NF simply due to the fact that I could not keep up. Now that the school year has started, my schedule has become more steady (although quite full, which is how I like it!), and I have the time to resume chronicling my journey here on NF.

My goal for this challenge is simply to continue my journey to legendary. Kinda vague, I know, but I don't know how else to put it. My objectives for this particular challenge, however are not vague in the slightest:

The legendary must LOOK legendary. 80% of my physical appearance is DIET! {+3 CON}

A] To return to cooking my own meals

B] To drink no soft drinks other than on Sundays (my cheat day)

C] To eat no unhealthy foods other than on Sundays

To be legendary, I must be able to last through the rigors of being legendary. Therefore, I must be FIT! {+3 STR, +2 STA}

A] To make both of my daily workouts (6:00 am, 2:00 pm)

The legendary are legendary because they do legendary deeds. If I wish to be legendary, I must have the SKILL! {+3 DEX, +1 STR, +1 STA}

A] To learn and perform 2 "new" tricks consistently: A gainer, and a butterfly twist

B]  To level up my boxing/kickboxing skills (keep my hands up more consistently, and keep my 

punches straight when I get in tight to my opponent)

C] Stretch!!! Every day!!!!

SIDEQUEST: Can’t become a legend if I’m swamped with debt! {+2 WIS}

A] To get my student loan payment back on track

As for how I will grade myself, I'm pretty black and white, pass or fail. I have 3 objectives, each worth 30% of my overall grade, and a sidequest worth 10%. Therefor, if I manage to complete at least 2 objectives and my sidequest, it will be a passing grade (70%), but only barely. These goals are all highly and easily attainable for me if I keep myself disciplined to making progress with them every day. Luckily, I have NF here to help! I'm definitely looking forward to working with the Monks this time around!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Thanks for the support, y'all!

I got my first workout in on time, 6:00 am, which was some moderately-heavy arm sets and some abs in-between. Rather than posting everything I do in my workouts here, I'll be posting pics of my workouts in my battle log, which will be up shortly. Also hit my 2:00 workout, which I did some bodyweight exercises and sprints. My goal for these workouts is to do complementary things between my morning and afternoon workouts.

As for my meals, breakfast was just a quick protein shake (3 scoops of protein in a cup of whole milk), lunch was chicken breast and some steamed broccoli, and dinner was ground beef, beans, guacamole and salsa on top of a toasted tortilla. No soda today, though the temptation is there.

Although I did not get the chance to work on my tricking or boxing a whole lot today, I did manage to get some stretching in. I'm pretty flexible in my hamstrings, groin, and calves, so things like the center, left, and right splits are no problem for me. However, I'm horribly inflexible in my hips, quads, and shoulders, so these are the areas I will focus on the most while stretching

Overall, I'd say this challenge has started off quite well. Now, I just have to keep the ball rolling.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

I'm not trying to insult you, but your goals and their grading look crazy to me (and not the good kind). You're focusing on, what, 10+ things you want to do every day? And grading yourself on a pass/fail basis, with only "barely" passing when you miss one of your goals? I understand that if you're trying to e.g. avoid being eaten by a bear, then it really boils down to pass ("got away") or fail ("oh, nevermind"). But I don't see any bears here…

Good luck to you, either way. I sure hope I'm just misreading your crazy.

M (the 13th letter). Lvl 6 Elven Monk.

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

I'm not trying to insult you, but your goals and their grading look crazy to me (and not the good kind). You're focusing on, what, 10+ things you want to do every day? And grading yourself on a pass/fail basis, with only "barely" passing when you miss one of your goals? I understand that if you're trying to e.g. avoid being eaten by a bear, then it really boils down to pass ("got away") or fail ("oh, nevermind"). But I don't see any bears here…

Good luck to you, either way. I sure hope I'm just misreading your crazy.

Well, yes and no. It does look kinda hectic (and I went back and did a re-read, just to make sure). But that's from an outside perspective. From where I'm at, it's much more simplified. For my first goal, as long as I don't eat out, I'm fulfilling all three requirements. I don't keep junk food or soda stocked in my apartment. For my second goal, those two workouts should be happening for me regardless. My place of work happens to also be the place where I work out, so I really have no excuse other than laziness. My third goal pretty much has the same reasoning as the second goal. I have no reason to NOT do it. Plus, it's stuff I enjoy doing. My side goal is something that I simply have to take the time to do, again, not being lazy about it. Hope that clears things up!

P.S., Don't worry about whether you insulted me or not. Your intentions were good and admirable, and I appreciate the feedback!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

So, Day 2 could have gone better, but I'm not going to fault myself entirely for this one. I discovered the hard way last night that I have a very severe allergy to avocado. As in, my tongue was swollen and my throat almost closed completely. So I ingested a very potent amount of Benadryll last night. So much so, in fact, that I woke up at 10:00, was late for work, and missed my first workout. Luckily, I was able to make it up this evening, so I still got in my two workouts. As far as meals go, my first one was lunch, and it was some more chicken breast and steamed veggies. It's simple and tasty, so it's pretty much a daily thing for me. Dinner is leftovers from last night, cause I didn't get to eat a whole lot due to the whole guacamole incident. No tricking tonight either, I'm definitely going to have to get some in tomorrow. Overall, not a horrible day, but it could have gone better.

P.S. I had a revelation today. I will simply post my workout pictures here, rather than in my not-yet-created battle log. Much easier for everyone!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Have any tips for some one whose "splits" are still at least a foot off the floor?

Umm....stretch? Really hard?....Jk. Seriously, though, when I first acquired my splits, it was not in a "normal" manner. I had one person grab one leg, one grab the other, and pull...REALLY HARD. As far as tips go, stretching every day will help, and it doesn't have to be for an extremely long time (5-10 minutes is a very reasonable time). The main thing is to push yourself further than where you were the day before, even if it's a tenth of an inch. Progress is progress. Also, be very aware of what your muscles are saying when stretching. A dull burn means you're good, but if it feels like someone is sticking a fork in you, you're starting to pull something, so you need to ease up a bit. Hope this helps!!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Oh, my!  Allergic reactions can be so scary!  Hope you are feeling recovered.

Thanks for the tips.  I have been stretching, but sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm making progress.  I'll keep at it!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Also, throw those tricks on as a finisher for your workouts! Nothing wrong with throwing a little extra on to the end.

Pressure, see? I hadn't really thought about that! You make a valid point! As much as I can remember, I'll try and integrate a couple of tricking sets on the end of my workout, if nothing else than for the practice. Thanks!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Ok, so I'm about to post my workouts from the last two days and this morning. Before I do that, I want to clarify my short hand. I use two color inks when writing these out. One color, typically black, indicates my main set. The other color, typically blue, I use to make a squiggly line in between my main sets. This line indicates when I will do my "between sets" sets. Most everything in my workouts will be self explanatory, however there are some exercises where I basically made up a name cause I wasn't sure what it was called. If any of these come up and you would like to know what the heck I'm talking about, ask away! I'll clarify as best as I can.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

These first two are from Monday. The first one was my 6:00 am workout, and took me about an hour. The second one was my 2:00 pm, and took me about 40-45 minutes.post-7336-0-95775300-1379528780_thumb.jp

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

These next two are from yesterday. The first one was my 2:00 workout, took me about an hour. The second one was my evening workout, which replaced my morning workout. I did the entire thing twice (so, 4 rounds total), which took me just under an hour, maybe 50-ish minutes.

post-7336-0-45103400-1379529162_thumb.jp post-7336-0-88618300-1379529170_thumb.jp

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Wow, that's awesome. Do you have a home gym, or is that from somewhere else? I seem to recall you saying you work'd out at your job.

Well, it's a bit more complicated and WAY more cool than just me working out at my job. My job is teaching Taekwondo. It's awesome. Our school is also equipped with a fully functional weight lifting area (all free weights, no machines), along with all sorts of kettle bells, medicine balls, rings, ropes and tons of other cool stuff. Also, monkey bars. But these are no ordinary monkey bars. They sit about 8 feet off of the ground, and the only way to reach them is to jump up and grab on. But that's not the best part. My apartment happens to be situated directly ABOVE the TKD school where I teach. How rad is that?

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Day 3 has been WAY better than day 2. Got off to a good start.

Had a protein shake before my early morning workout (posted previously). Breakfast was a scrambled hodgepodge of 6 eggs, diced onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and BACON!! I love me some bacon!. Lunch was a simple tilapia salad (kinda like tuna salad, but with tilapia). Consisted of 1 boiled egg chopped up, some home-made mayo and pickle relish, onion, and 2 tilapia fillets over some spinach leaves and kale. If you've never had it, it's pretty delicious. Dinner is yet to come, but it's going to be roasted chicken and grilled skewered veggies (tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, squash, and mushrooms). As for the no soda, so far so good. I am CRAVING it, but I've found that when the craving gets to be almost unbearable, if I drink a large glass of water, I'm good.

Workouts are on track. My first workout, as I have already mentioned, has been posted above. My second workout, I decided to get some tricking incorporated, so I did a tricking workout with some conditioning in between sets: post-7336-0-19299800-1379554818_thumb.jp

Also, though I have been negligent in mentioning this previously, I do a 10-ish minute stretch after each workout. It's easier when my muscles are warmed up. Now, I still have a long way to go. For a reference, I'm going to take a picture of my inflexibility, and then at the end I'll have an "after picture of where I finish. I'll get that up as soon as I can.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines