Rachy87 - The Quest (part 2)

Rachy87

My quest in life is to live it.

Pure and simple. I want to try new things, have new experiences and have an enjoyable time. For the most part I do. I've flown a plane (I'll be getting my licence one day), sky dived, went to Europe by myself, para-glided, lived at Ayers Rock and this list goes on. However I find that my weight and fitness levels prevent me from trying certain things whether it's because I can not physically do them or because I am too embarrassed to. My body is holding me back and I say no more!

I am very lucky as my partner, my brother and my best friend have also signed up to Nerd Fitness and are doing this 6 week challenge with me. By having these 3 very special people in my life and supporting me daily I know I will succeed! You can follow their challenge threads here: BrentosNim-aera and Radact.

Main Quest:

By the end of this year I will drop 2 dress sizes to an Australian 14. Oh and I want my fitness level to increase to match as in March 2014 I'm going back to Europe and I want to do more things!

Ok so I've learnt from my first quest a number of important things (which I've seen all about NF but sometimes you don't truly understand some things until you've experienced them yourself. Even though I improved my life my results weren't positive, I feel this was a combination of spreading my will power over too much, some of my goals weren't specific enough and I didn't focus enough on what was on my fork.

Missions:

1. Om nom normal.

I feel that I do not have enough will power to go paleo. I admire those of you that have, I'm just not ready. What I want to do is make small changes that will one day lead to that 80% lifestyle. Over these next 6 weeks I am going to focus on junk food from fast food to chocolate to gourmet burgers. I want minimise these things in my life, in fact I want to go back to when I was a child and these things were once in a few week kind of treats. I might have had a chocolate bar once a week, take out was maybe once a month. Currently chocolate is turning into a block every few days and take out happens 2-3 times a week.

I've decided that the best way to monitor/track/etc this mission is to give myself "red marks" when I have fast foods, chocolate that is less than 70% dark chocolate or when I have more than 4 pieces of 70% chocolate per day. chips.

A: No red marks in a week (3 Con)

B: 1 red marks in a week (2.25Con)

C: 2 red marks in a week (1.5 Con)

D: 3 red marks per week (0.75 Con)

2. Evolve Squirtle to Wartortle.

Last challenge one of my missions was to up water and decrease sugary beverages. I feel it was difficult to focus on both things in 1 mission and that I did well enough with the sugary beverages and not enough with the water that this time I am going to focus on water and uping the ante. I was able to comfortably drink 3 glasses of water each day so I need to push past that and get up to 6-8.

A: 2L water each day (3 Con)

B: 1.5L water each day (2.25Con)

C: 1.25L water each day (1.5 Con)

D: 1L water each day (0.75 Con)

(Each day will be graded and then each week will be graded on averages so if I mostly get "C"s then that week will be a "C" then I will grade this mission on averages/progress).

3. Variety is the spice of life.

I need to exercise more and I need to spice it up! Last challenge I focused on getting 3 sessions in each week. Whilst this is like a 2 part mission I feel it's achievable. Each week I must do 1 x yoga session, 1 x body weight session and 1 x other session, I need to do these things if I want to pursue the life of a ranger. On the other days of the week I need to 15mins of some form of moving, even if it's just a walk to the park.

A: 3 workouts & 4 movements (3 Str 2 Dex)

B: 3 workouts & 3 movements (2.25 Str 1.5 Dex)

C: 3 workouts & 2 movements (1.5 Str 1 Dex)

D: 3 workouts & 1 movements (0.75 Str 0.5 Dex)

LIFE!

Check yo'self before you wreck yo'self.

I need to get my demons in check, they hold me back a lot and I've been struggling more and more recently. So I am going to learn how to meditate and win the wars in my mind.

A: Meditate 4 times a week (4 Wis)

B: Meditate 3 times a week (3 Wis)

C: Meditate twice a week (2 Wis)

D: Meditate once a week (1 Wis)

Level X - Human Ranger

Str: X ~ Dex: X ~ Sta: X ~ Con: X ~ Wis: X ~ Cha: X

Rachy87 - Going to level up my way, watch this space!

Not all who wander are lost 

Hey, another Aussie! Woohoo! Where abouts are you?  Last challenge we actually got an Aussie meetup going on over in NSW . Im in Perth myself.

Loving the Pokemon reference :D

But, remember the idea behind SMART goals  - specific, manageable, attainable, relevant, timely. Theres a post on here somewhere... Use those to finish your goals.

But good luck! You'll do great :)

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

"Currently chocolate is turning into a block every few days and take out happens 2-3 times a week."

Isn't that how it always happens?  Just gets easier and easier when you slack until everyday you get takeout simply because you don't go to the market enough and plan.

Planning make a huge difference.  I feel the fall is perfect crockpot season; make huge stews, soups, chili, and cook a fat roast with veggies. 

Also, depending on how well you can clear your mind; I would just set up an amount.  Sometimes the first week of the challenge is finding the right balance.  You don't want an impossible goal or a goal you can beat without even trying.  I'd try 15 min a day and see how that works out from there. 

Good luck Rachy :) I know you can do it! And I'll be right here when you need me  :panda:

<Forest Elf>
Druid

Level 2

STR [0] | DEX [5] | STA [3] | CON [1] | WIS [3] | CHA [2]

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist.
Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
GK Chesterson

Please follow me here on my current quest: Nim-aera, Set Yourself on Fire

I like your goals so far.  With your grading, on the goals you haven't finished I would just be sure to keep them measurable, like your water goal.  That helps so much!  I need to go back and do that to my goals when I've had more sleep.

BTW, quitting soda and drinking tons of water has actually increased my energy levels, and I've heard similar anecdotes from lots and lots of Rebels.  Take it in steps if you need to, but when you get there you'll feel so good you'll wonder why you ever dragged your feet!

Emptyknight - Level 4 Human Adventurer
Str 9 | Dex 5.75 | Sta 5.25 | Con 9.25 | Wis 10.75 | Cha 7.5
Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

Good luck Rachy, your goals and thought process is great, and it will be interesting to see how you set up your grading system. I think you will do well this challenge, so more good luck! :D

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

STR [3] | DEX [1] | STA [2] | CON [7] | WIS [7] | CHA [5]

Please follow me on my current quest: A Funeral Mist

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

Chapter 4: Mayhem Within the Trinity

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Hey, another Aussie! Woohoo! Where abouts are you?  Last challenge we actually got an Aussie meetup going on over in NSW . Im in Perth myself.

Loving the Pokemon reference :D

But, remember the idea behind SMART goals  - specific, manageable, attainable, relevant, timely. Theres a post on here somewhere... Use those to finish your goals.

But good luck! You'll do great :)

Thank you Lupus :)

Brentos, Nim-aera, Radact and I are all from Perth too. Jane Brook specifically.

"Currently chocolate is turning into a block every few days and take out happens 2-3 times a week."

Isn't that how it always happens?  Just gets easier and easier when you slack until everyday you get takeout simply because you don't go to the market enough and plan.

Planning make a huge difference.  I feel the fall is perfect crockpot season; make huge stews, soups, chili, and cook a fat roast with veggies. 

Also, depending on how well you can clear your mind; I would just set up an amount.  Sometimes the first week of the challenge is finding the right balance.  You don't want an impossible goal or a goal you can beat without even trying.  I'd try 15 min a day and see how that works out from there. 

Good advice terosx, I've set my grades now but half way through I will re-jig them depending of how I go with them :)

Good luck Rachy :) I know you can do it! And I'll be right here when you need me  :panda:

Thank you Nim

I like your goals so far.  With your grading, on the goals you haven't finished I would just be sure to keep them measurable, like your water goal.  That helps so much!  I need to go back and do that to my goals when I've had more sleep.

BTW, quitting soda and drinking tons of water has actually increased my energy levels, and I've heard similar anecdotes from lots and lots of Rebels.  Take it in steps if you need to, but when you get there you'll feel so good you'll wonder why you ever dragged your feet!

Thank you emptyknight.

Yeah I found once I started to force myself to drink more water I found myself getting thirsty for water which made things easier

Good luck Rachy, your goals and thought process is great, and it will be interesting to see how you set up your grading system. I think you will do well this challenge, so more good luck! :D

Thank you Radact :)

Level X - Human Ranger

Ok end of day 1 and I've managed 1.25L water. I also did a 15min walk after dinner this evening :)

Off to a good start!

Emptyknight - Level 4 Human Adventurer
Str 9 | Dex 5.75 | Sta 5.25 | Con 9.25 | Wis 10.75 | Cha 7.5
Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

I agree, nice start to the challenge! :D

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Looks like your doing well, lass! Keep it up, and keep going through that water. Hows the life challenge going?

Also, wow - more Perth rebels! We should have a meetup sometime, we could try Jacobs Ladder :P Im in Ellenbrook, that close to you guys?

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Thank you emptyknight & Radact :)

Lupus I have yet to give meditation a shot. Hopefully this evening I'll give it a go.

I do want to attempt Jacobs Ladder at some point. I warn you now, you'll have time for a picnic by the time I catch up!

Yeah Ellenbrook isn't too far away ~15mins, Jane Brook is near Midland.

Level X - Human Ranger

Im not much of a runner myself. Wow, small world huh!

Well, we should organise an end of challenge hell run. Jacobs Ladder in 5 weeks?  :D

it'd recommend zazen for calming. Just count your breaths in and out. Focus on counting. Works, honest. (i had to get over a LOT of stress and anger issues in my previous version of Lupus :) )

- Marcus Aurelius

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had a lot of trouble getting into the forums but I think I've finally worked it out!

Ok so quick updates as the sheet with my ticks, crosses, etc are at work:

Week 1

I believe I did alright, struggling with the eating less junk and meditating however I've been mindful of both

Week 2

Was doing great with eating less junk until about Friday... :( binge binge binge

Have yet to meditate or do yoga

Need to hop back on the horse!!!!

Im not much of a runner myself. Wow, small world huh!

Well, we should organise an end of challenge hell run. Jacobs Ladder in 5 weeks?  :D

it'd recommend zazen for calming. Just count your breaths in and out. Focus on counting. Works, honest. (i had to get over a LOT of stress and anger issues in my previous version of Lupus :) )

Haha we could try! Hopefully the weather will be better by then.

Ok. Thus far all I've done is sit in a quiet dark room with 1 candle burning trying to empty my mind then fill it with positive thoughts. It really helped for a few days.

Rachy- glad to see you're in for more! You go!

I just re-upped. I've had family in town and I've let things get all unbalanced. 

Thanks Jefro :D

Yeah social life tends to shift the balance of things.

Level X - Human Ranger

Mini Quest 3: Reframing

Ok I can do this:

My accomplishments for the past week:

Saturday I got off my butt and went for a bike ride down by the river and soaked up the spingtime sun. I took on my laziness and won!!!

I ususally buy my lunch once a week and this week instead of getting a burger and chips with gravy I got a bacon/salad wrap and it was delicious!

The things I struggled with and learnt from:

Having temptations in the house leads to bad things. I am learning that my will power is a more limited resource than I first realised and I need to do things to help myself out rather than test my self disipline.

If there is chocolate in my room I will end up eating it, even if I'm not hungry or don't even want it that little voice at the back of my mind constantly chats about how tasty it is and how tasty things make me happy. I must remove temptation so it doesn't lead me astray.

How well I'm doing:

I've been trying to keep at this and have stuck with this the best I can. I am still here and I will continue to truck on!

I've been mindful of my mission and my long term goal a lot more, I am learning and getting stronger. I am gaining experience from everything I do, even if I don't realise/see it at the time.

I am feeling like a better person with each of these small wins

Steps I have left:

I need to make water my friend - I am going to get a super cool water bottle for home to keep me excited about drinking water.

I need more me time - I'm worth it damn it! and those demons need to shut up and listen to me

My body is a temple and I need to give it less bad foods, good foods are delicious make me happy and I love being happy :D

(please read this in the super enthused tone that I wrote it in - I'm not being sarcastic for a change)

Level X - Human Ranger

If i could recommend - you're in the city, taka does relly good cheap asian food, and they do just plain rice and sushi-grade fish, which is amazing. Keep it up, Rachy! Half way there!

- Marcus Aurelius

Awesome realizations! Self discipline is such an interesting thing. I love thinking about it as a limited resource.

Great job on the tracking of things you want to change! It seems like that is the first step and it sounds too simple, but it isn't simple AND it works!

Glad you are stepping into spring. I am loving fall- that should last until January here in Texas :playful: .

Seems to be going well so far, hope you are keeping up with it all!

Nice effort thus far!

We needs to do a weigh in - we have been rather slack - what like 3 weeks overdue :/

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Sorry I've been off in la-la land and away from NF.

Ok so I'm not counting the weekend just gone. Why? It was my birthday weekend and Ieat what I wanted and drank what I wanted and had a very good time!

So taking that out of the equation I feel I've been doing alright, not super well but pretty well.

Water is still an issue (I forgot my bottle at work today and have been suffering).

I haven't been doing meditation in the traditional sense but I've been freshening up my life with little things and being mindful of it all signifying a new start.

Junk food has it's ups and downs. I brought my lunch today and went for the chicken and salad wrap over the fish burgers they had going on.

Exercise check, moving on non-exercise days well no.

I've also signed up for the NF academy for women and am planning to do their 6 week crash course soon. For my birthday I got tickets to a charity ball and I want to slim down a bit for it and look even more fabulous!

Level X - Human Ranger

Have you found a cool water bottle? Post a pic!

How's it going this week?

No. I am rather fussy but keeping an eye out. I will post a pic when I find something cool.

Do you get all the cool colour changes with the tree etc there?

Yeah spring is finally waking up over here. Consequently the annual assult by flowers against me has started *achoo*

Level X - Human Ranger

Hello Nerd Fitness Lovelies!

Sorry about being MIA. Been busy with life and the academy is taking my NF time - but hey it's all good.

Decided against their crash course - way too intense for someone like me who is just starting out.

I'm learning a lot from the content and I'm enjoying the set out.

I've been keeping mindful of my missions but meditating as gone out the window. I am ok with this as I feel like I've been doing quite well with the other missions. Sure I should drink more water than I should be at least I'm making sure I drink water.

I turned down delicious smelling/looking/sounding/etc pizza on Sunday for Subway. That took a lot of will power (I wanted that pizza so bad) and I'm quite proud of that effort.

I'm starting a new outlook on how I tackle my lifestyle changes. I am writing down 2 positive wins each day that are towards my health/fitness improvements.

Yesterday for instance:

Cooked a healthy meal (Steak and veg) instead of a quick/cheap/easy pasta bake (which knowing my weakness for pasta would have resulted in overeating).

Took the dog I'm currently dog sitting out for a walk.

When I get back home once I finish house/dog sitting I am going to ask my family to help me with my diet. I need to say good bye to certain carbs at dinner time etc rice/pasta/potatoes, I will allow to have them at certain times but I feel I need to stop having a "white food" at dinner every single night. I'm also going to ask for bigger veggie servings.

Until next time :)

Level X - Human Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines