• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Eirlys

Bedtime Routine

Hi - this is intended to be a friendly, open, cross-guild group, for people looking to sort out their bedtime routine!

Examples:

• go to bed every night at 10pm/11pm/whenever
  • get ready for bed every night at 9.15pm (this is mine)

More sleep = more energy, more vitality, and a better quality of life

Please sign up if you're serious about nailing a night-time routine :)

1. Eirlys (Druid)
  2. Kiara (Druid)
  3. Chanda (Druid)
  4. Ems (Ranger)
  5. Geo-geek (Scout)
  6. cavemom (Druid)
  7. Clarys (Ranger)
  8. peggysr (Druid)
  9. Draco (Adventurer)

I signed up... I have getting to bed early enough so that I get 7 hours sleep as part of my Stay Sane quest.

My husband gets up at 5:45am on weekdays. Two weeks ago he got one of those alarm clocks that simulates natural daylight. At 5:15 that cursed machine starts slowly lighting up our room. At exactly 5:22 I wake up. Normally I can sleep until 7:30. But since I am being woken up 2 hours earlier than I have to, I figure its time to make the best out of a bad situation. Plus I've been saying for years I want to become a morning person (so that I can have "me" time while my daughters are still sleeping and my brain is still functioning - by the end of the day I am usually a zombie). Time to start getting to bed early enough that I can actually get up that early.

If I am getting up at 5:45, I need to get to bed between 10 and 10:30PM. Its 11PM at the moment... this is not a great start, so I am off to bed now.

So thats my story! Why are you here?

Great to hear your story, Chanda!  I used to use my natural daylight alarm clock but my husband complained bitterly about it waking him up half an hour before I got up!

Plus, every day for almost as long as I've known him, he says he's tired, and that the solution to this is to go to bed earlier.  I'm not sure if I buy it (we're already going to bed around 10.30pm) but I'm willing to humour him and see if it helps.  Plus, I'd like to see if I can try winding down before I go to bed - normally my brain is hyperactive and very unwilling to sleep, and it would be nice to be relaxed and float off to sleep.  That's the dream, anyway :)

Lastly, I'd one day like to use the last hour before bedtime as 'renewal' time, maybe for breathing exercises or meditation, or registering my gratitude with the world.  I'm not near this yet, but I'm hoping that by starting to get ready for bed an hour in advance I can start to build up a routine to account for it!

I signed up... I have getting to bed early enough so that I get 7 hours sleep as part of my Stay Sane quest.

My husband gets up at 5:45am on weekdays. Two weeks ago he got one of those alarm clocks that simulates natural daylight. At 5:15 that cursed machine starts slowly lighting up our room. At exactly 5:22 I wake up. Normally I can sleep until 7:30. But since I am being woken up 2 hours earlier than I have to, I figure its time to make the best out of a bad situation. Plus I've been saying for years I want to become a morning person (so that I can have "me" time while my daughters are still sleeping and my brain is still functioning - by the end of the day I am usually a zombie). Time to start getting to bed early enough that I can actually get up that early.

If I am getting up at 5:45, I need to get to bed between 10 and 10:30PM. Its 11PM at the moment... this is not a great start, so I am off to bed now.

So thats my story! Why are you here?

Hi Chanda, Morning 'me' time sounds good! Good motivation to get to bed at the right time :)

I'm interested to know how the bedtime at 10-10.30pm goes cos that's what I'm aiming for too.

Great to hear your story, Chanda!  I used to use my natural daylight alarm clock but my husband complained bitterly about it waking him up half an hour before I got up!

Plus, every day for almost as long as I've known him, he says he's tired, and that the solution to this is to go to bed earlier.  I'm not sure if I buy it (we're already going to bed around 10.30pm) but I'm willing to humour him and see if it helps.  Plus, I'd like to see if I can try winding down before I go to bed - normally my brain is hyperactive and very unwilling to sleep, and it would be nice to be relaxed and float off to sleep.  That's the dream, anyway :)

Lastly, I'd one day like to use the last hour before bedtime as 'renewal' time, maybe for breathing exercises or meditation, or registering my gratitude with the world.  I'm not near this yet, but I'm hoping that by starting to get ready for bed an hour in advance I can start to build up a routine to account for it!

Winding down is core for me. Have you thought about what your gunna do to try and do that? I'm always looking for ideas, New things to try :)

Hey I'm in! I really need a solid routine to support my increasingly crazy lifestyle! Mine will be to be physically in bed by 11pm (starting tomorrow!) on work nights (Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs). Great idea for a group, thank you!

So, my story for being here.

For yrs since I was a young child I've had night terrors, all the way into my teens. Sleep paralysis, nightmares, sweats, paranoia from lack of sleep, waking up multiple times etc

I met my husband who was my bf at the time, who would talk to me til I fell asleep listening to his voice. Sleep became a little better, sleeping for 4-5hrs straight on good days, with still lots of bad days. Then suddenly when I got married 5yrs later I could sleep for whole 8hrs, no waking up etc!!! Oh my days, it was unbelievable. Sleep is AMAZING.

But then life happened, stress brought the nightmares, sleep paralysis, multiple waking up in the night back.

Long story short, we fixed it again by removing me out of the stressful situation and now it's more like once every few months or if I'm overly tired or stressed. Which is good :)

Now I'm trying to deal with keeping stress at bay (by writing my thoughts and emotions down before bed everyday)and making sure I get enough sleep as I wake up at 6am. This changes according to sunrise (morning prayer). This time changes, but the latest I'll be getting up is 7am on uni days, 8am the rest of the time.

The problem is, my husband works late sometimes and I wana stay up to spend some time with him. Today is a prime example. He got home at 9.30pm, we spent about an hour or so just talking, and Sat with him whilst he ate. For the challenge I'll just get time for hello, hugs and quick chat. Lol. But thankfully his late shifts aren't permanent or everyday!

I'd be interested in joining... I've seen a direct correlation between sleep and weeks I lose weight. I can't however access google documents to sign up until this evening (stupid work security filters!) So assuming there's still room to join by then my plan is:

• Lights out and electronic devices away by 9:30pm
  • Start packing bags and lunch ready at 9:00pm
  • Activate fitbit so I can determine how much sleep I actually got 

Winding down is core for me. Have you thought about what your gunna do to try and do that? I'm always looking for ideas, New things to try :)

Some potential ideas:

physical:

- 5 or 10 mins doing breathing exercises (apparently 20 mins a day can drastically improve one's optimistic outlook!)

- stretching (I don't know yoga so this is as much as I can manage!)

- in particular, I have one back stretch exercise from the physio where I'm supposed to roll up a towel and put it underneath my spine to stretch out my chest/pecs & prevent round shoulders - requires lying down & looking at ceiling for at least 5 mins

gentle activities:

- painting nails?

- watching one of these phase through different colours in a darkened room, possibly with nice background music - http://www.glow.co.uk/light-up-egg.html (I happen to already own one & had been wondering what to do with it!)

mental activities:

- practising gratitude, e.g. writing down 3 things you're grateful for that day in a journal

I also think that the calmness of getting mostly ready for bed an hour in advance means you don't have a last-minute rush and can focus on winding down.  At least, that's the plan! :)

In theory I'd like to have an "electronic sunset" too (lights dimmed, bright screens off) starting 1/2 hr before bedtime but as my husband likes to put the TV on for the 10 o clock news & then go and read the internet in the bedroom (our main 2 rooms in the house) I don't think it's feasible!

Hey I'm in! I really need a solid routine to support my increasingly crazy lifestyle! Mine will be to be physically in bed by 11pm (starting tomorrow!) on work nights (Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs). Great idea for a group, thank you!

Hi Ems - Welcome to the group!  I'm intrigued by "crazy lifestyle", if you have the time & inclination to share what that is :)  What kind of time do you have to be up in the mornings?

I'd be interested in joining... I've seen a direct correlation between sleep and weeks I lose weight. I can't however access google documents to sign up until this evening (stupid work security filters!) So assuming there's still room to join by then my plan is:

• Lights out and electronic devices away by 9:30pm
  • Start packing bags and lunch ready at 9:00pm
  • Activate fitbit so I can determine how much sleep I actually got 

Hi Geo-geek!

I added you to the spreadsheet so your place is assured :)

Sounds like you have a solid plan there & it'll be great if you can prove that your theory holds over the next week :)

So, my story for being here.

For yrs since I was a young child I've had night terrors, all the way into my teens. Sleep paralysis, nightmares, sweats, paranoia from lack of sleep, waking up multiple times etc

I met my husband who was my bf at the time, who would talk to me til I fell asleep listening to his voice. Sleep became a little better, sleeping for 4-5hrs straight on good days, with still lots of bad days. Then suddenly when I got married 5yrs later I could sleep for whole 8hrs, no waking up etc!!! Oh my days, it was unbelievable. Sleep is AMAZING.

But then life happened, stress brought the nightmares, sleep paralysis, multiple waking up in the night back.

Long story short, we fixed it again by removing me out of the stressful situation and now it's more like once every few months or if I'm overly tired or stressed. Which is good :)

Now I'm trying to deal with keeping stress at bay (by writing my thoughts and emotions down before bed everyday)and making sure I get enough sleep as I wake up at 6am. This changes according to sunrise (morning prayer). This time changes, but the latest I'll be getting up is 7am on uni days, 8am the rest of the time.

The problem is, my husband works late sometimes and I wana stay up to spend some time with him. Today is a prime example. He got home at 9.30pm, we spent about an hour or so just talking, and Sat with him whilst he ate. For the challenge I'll just get time for hello, hugs and quick chat. Lol. But thankfully his late shifts aren't permanent or everyday!

Hi Kiara - wow, I can't imagine what the night terrors must have been like, but sounds awful.  I'm so glad your husband has been able to help you through that (what a sweetheart! :) ) and it's good to hear that removing the stressful situation has helped calm things down again.

Sounds like you also have a great plan for preventing a re-occurrence of the stress.  Have you noticed any patterns when journalling your thoughts?

Some potential ideas:

physical:

- 5 or 10 mins doing breathing exercises (apparently 20 mins a day can drastically improve one's optimistic outlook!)

- stretching (I don't know yoga so this is as much as I can manage!)

- in particular, I have one back stretch exercise from the physio where I'm supposed to roll up a towel and put it underneath my spine to stretch out my chest/pecs & prevent round shoulders - requires lying down & looking at ceiling for at least 5 mins

gentle activities:

- painting nails?

- watching one of these phase through different colours in a darkened room, possibly with nice background music - http://www.glow.co.uk/light-up-egg.html (I happen to already own one & had been wondering what to do with it!)

mental activities:

- practising gratitude, e.g. writing down 3 things you're grateful for that day in a journal

I also think that the calmness of getting mostly ready for bed an hour in advance means you don't have a last-minute rush and can focus on winding down.  At least, that's the plan! :)

In theory I'd like to have an "electronic sunset" too (lights dimmed, bright screens off) starting 1/2 hr before bedtime but as my husband likes to put the TV on for the 10 o clock news & then go and read the internet in the bedroom (our main 2 rooms in the house) I don't think it's feasible!

These are all good ideas, personally nail varnish smells too strong so wouldnt be too relaxing for me :D

That egg looks awesome!

The gratitude journal sounds good, I kind of do that mentally but its a good reminder to physically write it. I may incorporate that into my regular journal :)

Hi Kiara - wow, I can't imagine what the night terrors must have been like, but sounds awful.  I'm so glad your husband has been able to help you through that (what a sweetheart! :) ) and it's good to hear that removing the stressful situation has helped calm things down again.

Sounds like you also have a great plan for preventing a re-occurrence of the stress.  Have you noticed any patterns when journalling your thoughts?

He has been good bless him, been married for 4+yrs too. Lol. We've been together for nearly a decade! sounds strange doesnt it seeing as I'm 26! lol

My journal shows that when I'm thinking about my in laws I get stressy! I try hard not to hate them but when my emotions get the better of me I feel guilty which leads to stress which makes me 'dislike' them more. Lol. Vicious cycle.

Ooh - ooh - just thought of some other things - I find it quite productive & soothing to get things ready for tomorrow, e.g. putting clothes & jewellery to wear out, putting my hot chocolate sachets in my handbag etc

as well as making sure everything is 'done' for the day too, e.g. rail-dried clothes put away, envelopes shredded/recycled, mail processed etc

That helps with keeping the feeling of overwhelm down in my case!

p.s. Kiara, if you don't mind me asking, what time zone are you in?  I think we're quite close as it's my bedtime now too! :)

I have a different accountibilibuddies group that I run, but I would love to join this group as well, if that's okay.  I don't have a sleep goal this challenge, but sleep is something that's really important to me, so I think this would be a good fit for me. 

Hello everyone!

I´m joining the group!

I have a sleep time goal, and I think will be the most difficult this time...

My background:

I´m a night girl in general, better, I like the dark part of the days, since in my teens I wake up 4-5 am to study, before anyone in the house wakes and disturb me.

I wake up many times at night, I don´t sleep well, and sometimes I wake more tired that the night before...

Nowadays I wake up about 6 am, three times a week I go to the gym, and I´m figuring out what to do with the other days, because I need to wake every day in the same time, or I won´t get the necessary rest.

So my goal is to go to the bed at 10 pm every single day!

And, today, I will start to put my goods and bads in the journal, I will try to figure out any patterns for the bad nights!

Ooh - ooh - just thought of some other things - I find it quite productive & soothing to get things ready for tomorrow, e.g. putting clothes & jewellery to wear out, putting my hot chocolate sachets in my handbag etc

as well as making sure everything is 'done' for the day too, e.g. rail-dried clothes put away, envelopes shredded/recycled, mail processed etc

That helps with keeping the feeling of overwhelm down in my case!

p.s. Kiara, if you don't mind me asking, what time zone are you in? I think we're quite close as it's my bedtime now too! :)

Hey, I'm in England :)

I like to put out my clothes for the next day too and pack my bag etc. Lol. My lil sis calls me a geek.

I have a different accountibilibuddies group that I run, but I would love to join this group as well, if that's okay. I don't have a sleep goal this challenge, but sleep is something that's really important to me, so I think this would be a good fit for me.

Hey Cavemom :)

What are your bedtime routine plans? It's always good to hear where other people are coming from.

We can all draw ideas from each other :)

Hello everyone!

I´m joining the group!

I have a sleep time goal, and I think will be the most difficult this time...

My background:

I´m a night girl in general, better, I like the dark part of the days, since in my teens I wake up 4-5 am to study, before anyone in the house wakes and disturb me.

I wake up many times at night, I don´t sleep well, and sometimes I wake more tired that the night before...

Nowadays I wake up about 6 am, three times a week I go to the gym, and I´m figuring out what to do with the other days, because I need to wake every day in the same time, or I won´t get the necessary rest.

So my goal is to go to the bed at 10 pm every single day!

And, today, I will start to put my goods and bads in the journal, I will try to figure out any patterns for the bad nights!

Hey Clarys :)

I try to stay in bed for longer when I'm not going anywhere but my body just wakes up at the same time everyday regardless of when I went to sleep! That's also why I'm trying to make sure I go to bed at 10pm too otherwise I don't get enough sleep.

Journals are good. They're like my best friend. I love notebooks :D

Hey Clarys :)

I try to stay in bed for longer when I'm not going anywhere but my body just wakes up at the same time everyday regardless of when I went to sleep! That's also why I'm trying to make sure I go to bed at 10pm too otherwise I don't get enough sleep.

Journals are good. They're like my best friend. I love notebooks :D

I´m the opposite! My body just wake up 7-8 hours before I fall sleep! Today is a good example. I turn the lights off about 11 pm, but I didn´t sleep till about 12:30-1am... I didn´t hear the alarm clock!!! I wake up at 8:30 am!! The good side is that today I didn´t have any compromise!! 

I'd love to join if there's still room.  This is my THIRD challenge with a sleep goal, and I keep failing miserably, but learning from what happens. 

I think of myself as a morning person, but my husband is definitely a night person.  Left to his own devices, with no time constraints, he would sleep from 4 am till noon.  As our kids have gotten older, they've stayed up later and later, and DH and I stay up with them.  My dream schedule is to get up at 6 am so I can workout, shower and make it to work by nine in addition to getting DH and three kids out of the house on time.  My reality is often staying up till midnight, 1, 2 or even later reading because the house is finally quiet and I can wind down.

Here's what I've accomplished so far toward my sleep goals:

1. Instituting a household rule that screen time (TV, Wii, computers) ends at 9 pm.  I'm still reminding everyone every night, and if I'm out at 9, no one follows the rule, but I'm making progress.
  2. Talking to my doctor who said insomnia is a common problem at my age.  She recommended three drug options: melatonin, which seems to be working for me, and two prescription sleeping pills that I can "escalate" to if needed.  DH and I are taking melatonin at 9 pm (when we remember.)  It has been a HUGE help in getting to sleep.  I used to toss and turn for hours, but now I drop off fairly quickly.
  3. Building a bedtime meditation habit.  First challenge I meditated, it was for 10 minutes, then I increased to 15 minutes.  This helps clear my mind, which means less worrying as I'm trying to fall asleep.
  4. Just in the last week, DH and I have started establishing a boundary that we're not available to the kids after 9:30.  We get time to ourselves to unwind, chat, snuggle.  When my second child was born, we started a routine of having a cup of herbal tea every night to unwind, and we'll probably revive that now that the weather is cooling off.
  5. Planning and precooking breakfast to smooth the morning chaos.  This week, my middle daughter made 2 dozen mini omelets with veggies, and everyone grabs one or two in the morning along with a piece of fruit.

I track bedtime each night on my challenge thread to keep myself honest.

Welcome Clarys, cavemom & peggysr - we'd love to have you all on board!

Unfortunately I can't write anything more right now or I'll be breaking with my bedtime routine (no irony!) so catch up with you all soon!

p.s. Kiara, I'm in England too - London :)

Cool Eirlys :D I'm in the Manchester area.

Btw guys, I slipped up already!! Argh. Went for a walk with Hubi in the evening, completely lost track of time. Got home after 10pm. Oops!

Hi all, thanks for having me!  I've always had a really hard time falling asleep, and if I wake up at all during the night, it can take a long time for me to fall asleep again.  I feel like since I started yoga, it has been a little easier for me to fall asleep.  Maybe just the breathing techniques that I'm learning, or the yoga is calming my mind or something. 

I always like to read before bed, because it makes my eyes tired and it's easier to fall asleep.  If I don't, I feel like I lay there for hours before I finally fall asleep.  I have a Kindle paperwhite, which I use to read before bed so that I don't have a light on keeping my husband awake.  So really, I need to work on getting to bed just a little bit earlier so that I have plenty of time to read before going to sleep. 

Lately I've been reading until about 10:30 to 10:45, which isn't too bad.  I don't have to get up until around 7.  But I'd like to get up when my husband gets up for work, about 6 or 6:15, so that I can have a few minutes with him before he leaves for work.  So ideally, I would like to be going to sleep half hour earlier than I am, so I can get eight hours of sleep.