Rowan: Down to the Bones

rowan

Radio Rowan here, reporting for active duty on my second, that's right my SECOND six week challenge!  

The last round finished off pretty dismally, but hey, it was the tutorial level, and I sure as shit learned a lot, about myself, about my body, about what it takes to level up, about GRIT and HONOR and LOYALTY and DETERMINATION and let's not forget some incredibly important revelations about FRIENDSHIP, COMMUNITY, and INTEGRITY.  So I kept busy. 

And now here I am, weighing EXACTLY the same as I did seven weeks ago, but with some strength gains, some new eating habits, and a new sense of what my body is capable of.  This last week I took "off" which was a bad idea, as now apparently banana-nutella crepes and Starbuck's banana-nut bread, as well as many other former loves of mine, make me sick as a dog.  I'll take that as a good sign?

But enough about the past.  Let's talk about this shiny new challenge.

It is with great pleasure and humility that I step up to join the Rangers this round, 

1. By the end of six weeks, I will be able to do 10 full pushups with perfect form.  To this end I will strength train three times per week, doing a bodyweight circuit and weightlifting, for a total of 18 workouts.

18/18: A

16/18: B

15/18: C

14/18: D

Less than 13: F

I will also give myself a grade based on how many actual real pushups I can do at the end of six weeks.

2. For the next six weeks, I will limit my sugar intake to an optional two squares of dark chocolate per day (seriously those little individually wrapped chocolate squares are the most amazing thing ever!).  I will also limit my bread intake to two slices per day.  Ideally I will eat no bread and no sugar, but I will have those safety valves if I need them.  Each day I comply with these limitations I will count as successful. The aim here is to lose 10 lb. of bodyfat, so I will be grading myself also on how much weight I manage to lose. 

40-42/42: A

35-40/42: B

30-35/42: C

25-30/42: D

Less than 25: F

3. Try a capoeira class. Once a week.

7/7: A

6/7: B

5/7: C

4/7: D

3/7: F

4. Write for 30 minutes a day.  Whether it be journaling, writing letters, working on my novel, I must put ass in chair and write for 30 minutes every day. 

(same grading applies as to food)

FINALLY - daily updates.  I will post to this thread daily, with updates, anecdotes, pearls of wisdom, etc.  It

s gonna be crazy. 

So, there we have it!  I gotta say, choosing what to tackle this challenge was like pulling teeth - there are so, so many things I want to do! But if I can tick these off the list, then I can move on to the other things.

I gotta run to work, but I will update tonight.

EYE OF THE TIGER!

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

THRILL OF THE FIGHT!

Keep at it, Rowan!  We first-time Rangers need to stick together, right?  I like your goals - the safety valves are a good idea.  Even just knowing that you can let off a little pressure can help keep you from blowing your boiler and going on a binge . . . something that's easy to do with dark chocolate.

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Woot retuned that radio dial and found Radio Rowan

Turn that S*** up!

If you got stronger but remained the same weight last time, are you taking measurements/photos to aid your tracking?

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

GOOOD MORNING AMERICA (or wherever you might be!)

I am up bright and early on this gorgeous clear autumnal DAY 2, as I have to work a breakfast event at work, and of course the first thing to happen to me this challenge is a cold, so here I am drinking Airborne out of a Sauvignon Blanc glass and thinking to myself, how to dominate life and be ultra awesome today?

Well, friends, here's how it's going.  Tonight I will finally get back to the gym (been itching to lift, but forced myself to take a rest week last week), and I'm exited, although I will be sparing my poor knees and shins as much as possible.  Yesterday's eating was...eventful.  I did eat a couple of pieces of bread at work, and I can't even say it was due to starvation as I had a nut and fruit bar in my pocket, but whatever, it was Day One, and I REGRET NOTHING! I also then came home and had a glass of wine, then went out and bought a 24 oz bottle of beer, which I had about 12 oz of then poured the rest down the sink, as I realized I didn't really want it, and it was a lot of calories and I was starting to feel drunk and I didn't want to be drunk.  On the other hand, burger salad for dinner, WOOT!

It feels really good to be back here with all of you guys, you keep me going, you keep me updating.  Will update again tonight after workout with starting stats.

UltraBoyd: I did take photos last challenge, but as I am allergic to tech and also am lazy I have not managed to put them up yet.  Gonna do fresh ones on Wednesday (my saturday) for this challenge!

ROCK ON!

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Go Rowan Go! Great goals: the push-ups will be awesome! Hope the lifting tonight is everything you want it to be. Bring on the power. Also really really like the 30 minutes of writing, no matter what the writing is, just write. Very interested to hear your tactics on getting that in. Excited to watch your progress this challenge! WOO!

Bummer about the cold, but you've got the right attitude. Crush it at the gym tonight!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

It feels really good to be back here with all of you guys, you keep me going, you keep me updating.

Great Goals fellow Browncoat!  Can't wait to see your progress.  It's nice to hear from someone who made it through their first challenge with ups and down, but came out even more determined on the other side. This is my first challenge, so thanks for the inspiration and confirmation that this is a supportive community.

The right thing starts at the beginning of the day, not after you've been caught." -John Crichton, Farscape

@Squeege: the pub is called Slightly Oliver, and it's on the upper west side in NYC!  Pricey, but worth it for a once-in-a-while treat!  

Good morning, friends.  It is a beautiful clear day in the Big City, I am still sick, and I did NOT in fact go to the gym last night due to several other co-workers calling out sick, which meant I had to stay and work all night as well.  No rest for the wicked, apparently.  So rather than spending forty five minutes lifting heavy weights and doing bodyweight exercises, I spent an entire fourteen hours carrying heavy furniture up and down three flights of stairs, ferrying stacks of plates, racks of silverware, cases of wine, bales of linen, trays of canapes, and evacuating my sinuses of several cumulative quarts of disgusting mucus.  I'm just gonna let that one slide.

BUT today is my day off, so I am ACTUALLY going to the gym, for a brief weight-lifting session.  I find sometimes that doing a bit of exercise when I'm sick helps to rev up my system, get me sweating and my blood moving, and I get well a bit faster.  Will actually for realsies report back later with starting stats.  

I've been doing alright with food - last night at work I ate four small cookies (about the size of a hershey's kiss) out of sheer hunger more than anything else, and a cheese and almond danish with lunch, and had a glass of champagne at the end of the night because no one pours an eight hundred dollar bottle of champagne down the sink, and this is understood at my restaurant, and then when I got home I had an entire bag of dried mango slices and a square of chocolate, which I can't quite justify to myself as being healthy.  It was, however, delicious. SOO, that's that.  But I guess now I know how super important it is to have my Larabars and my Kind bars and my beef jerky and my carrot sticks in my pockets at work, because seven hours of hard work with no breaks while surrounded by SIX DIFFERENT KINDS OF BREAD is kind of a recipe for disaster.  

Writing has actually been going really well!  I got myself a five dollar journal at Staples - it is a hardcover journal bound in black faux-leather with a magnetic clasp, and holy moly cannoli does it feel good to journal again!  I forgot how much I missed it!  So yes, I have written every day so far, even if I had to do it crouched in the locker room during my dinner break, or crammed between fellow commuters on the subway to work.  Slowly but inexorably, pushing up with the force of green grass through the pavement, I'm making this all happen.  

Right now, i have to say my main motivation is this community.  I don't have a whole lot of energy, and I am struggling to get my loved ones in my corner, and having trouble reaching out to Real Life Friends.  I have recently been re-realizing how much of an introvert I really am, and since all I do all day at my job is EXTROVERT and talk and smile and move quickly and flit around a large packed restaurant, when I am home sometimes the idea of calling up a friend to go see a movie is pretty much unthinkable.  I considered having two social engagements per week as part of this challenge, but I didn't want to overextend myself.  Somehow I'm gonna figure it all out.  Work in progress.

...and had a glass of champagne at the end of the night because no one pours an eight hundred dollar bottle of champagne down the sink...

People actually commit this sin in Sweden, to show off how rich they are! Seriously, they order in a few bottles of champagne and then ask the waiter to DRAIN THEM DOWN THE SINK. Apparently it came from when they banned spraying champagne all over the place. But it's just so sick and wrong and rude I have no words for it.

I think you did a really good job with a rough long day.

I completely understand what you are saying about introvert/extrovert.  I'm an introvert in an extroverts job, and sometimes I just want to hide when I get home.  I try and slice out quiet down time at night, and in the morning when I first get up.  I find it really helps provide the balance I need.

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

ok, quick data dump

weight: 154 lb

Waist: 31inches

Belly: 36 inches

full pushups: 1

workout was rough.  forgot i was exhausted and sick, only managed half a circuit, some sub-par lifting, and a lot of standing around staring into space.  BUT I WENT.  Getting back in the saddle is always a bit rough...

i am very tired now goodnight.

It sounds like you are having a really rough time with ignoring that you're sick.  Good for you that you went and tried and knew when to call it enough. 

Don't forget that dried fruit naturally has sugar and sometimes they add more.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Fighting a war takes a lot of energy. Don't feel bad if the Riders of Ro-wan (your immune system) has left you low. You got out there, lead from the front and knew when to withdraw.

That makes you mighty!

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder and crush him. - Sun Tzu

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines