Rowan: Down to the Bones

rowan

Pratchett does in fact make up for a lot of the world's lameness.

Good job.

Shiny paladin

Stay strong.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Glad you are feeling better and the writing is going well!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

AAAAND I'M BACK! 

I keep feeling rather guilty for not being as present on the forums, but then I realize, hey, I update almost ever day, that's pretty good.  Whatevs, my friends. 

I had the truly lovely experience of staying the night last night with a pair of friends of mine who keep a cozy and thoroughly nested flat on the green outskirts of New York, and having them cook for me.  Butternut squash is a beautiful thing.  This also meant that I ate some apple pie.  Whatever, it's finally fall for real and I get ONE SLICE of obligatory ritual apple pie.  Plus it was homemade and had bourbon in it and oh gods it was an amazing pie.  

I have, though, realized that I am having a bit of trouble with food.  I am thinking that perhaps I underestimated the pull of sugar and bread on my psyche.  Well, obviously I did.  It's worse than trying to kick cigarettes, which I somehow had no problem with.  People don't make you cigarettes with attractively crimped borders and bourbon filling.  This is the thing about food, is that you can't not eat.  When you find yourself developing an unhealthy relationship with it, or finding yourself overindulging, or making excuses, you can't just say, oh well I just won't eat then and I wont have to worry about it. I mean, some people do, but that is a whole other can of worms.  It is so easy to let things slip in under the fence - a burger is MOSTLY protein and vegetables, right? And a cookie is just one cookie, and really what's going to happen if I eat this shortbread, I'm (probably) not going to EXPLODE and DIE, unless maybe there is nitroglycerin in it.  Which hopefully there isn't.

All this sort of bubbled to the surface for me looking at my week One wrapup for food.  Last week I consumed (in addition to the good stuff) :

9 alcoholic drinks

14 slices of bread

8 squares of chocolate

1 danish

2 mini macaron

10 water crackers

1 bag sugary dried mango slices

9 small cookies or other mini sugary things.

SO, for example, although on a few days I ate more than two slices of bread, I ended up eating 14, which is two per day.  And if i add up all the small sugary things, 19 is really only a few over 14, and WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? And where does the stupid mango fit in? And before you know it, you're designing a steam-powered contraption to sort it all out, and it goes haywire and becomes sentient and starts hiding all your socks in a misguided attempt to control your life, and THEN WHERE ARE YOU?

The lesson here is Rowan You Are Overthinking This.  A Lot. Stop It.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Here is the technical spread for Week One:

workouts: 1/3 (due to illness)

capoeira: none (due to illness)

Writing: 7/7 (because I am a badass novelf***er)

Eating: 3/7 (OR IS IT!!??)

Bad numbers, no? BUT, because I am intelligent and selectively rational, I am deciding to NOT WORRY ABOUT IT and to just focus on day by day leveling up.  Small leveling up.  I can't look to hard at the numbers right now, as WHATEVER I WAS SICK.  And if I have a good eating day, but I go over by one square of dark chocolate and a cracker, I WILL NOT FREAK OUT.  My destiny is too epic and awesome to get tripped up by lame shit like that.  I'm not into it.  This is low-level grit training.  This is the sandbox level.  If you eat a croissant, take a deep breath, drink a glass of water, and go about your day.  I got shit to do and I don't have time to mope and freak out about a slip-up or an indulgence or hey my friend baked me a pie, so I'm gonna eat a slice of that meltingly delicious pie and ENJOY IT WITHOUT RESERVE, no ruining the fun by worrying about calories.  As my friend said to me later that night, as we sipped Hot Toddies and played with the very tiny kittens he is fostering, "I don't have time for guilty pleasures.  If I enjoy something, I will enjoy it and then move on."

All this to say, this challenge and these goals and changes I want to make in my life are too awesome to be stopped by stupid things.  And it's not a slice of pie or a skipped workout or a pint of beer that knocks me off track - it's the silly things my head decides to think about that pie or rest day or beer.  So yeah. Time to be awesome. 

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

And it's not a slice of pie or a skipped workout or a pint of beer that knocks me off track - it's the silly things my head decides to think about that pie or rest day or beer.  So yeah. Time to be awesome. 

And you are awesome. This is a fabulous post.

But you forgot to add pictures of the kittens.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

^^^ this! Absolutely it's the things in our heads that hold us back from awesomeness.

Kitties. Gotz to have kittehs for Jakkals. :cat: :cat: :cat:

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

...If you eat a croissant, take a deep breath, drink a glass of water, and go about your day.  I got shit to do and I don't have time to mope and freak out about a slip-up or an indulgence...

Got shit to do! Epic stuff to live. GET IT ROWAN! 

Yeah, you forgot the kittens. 

Oh dear, silly me! Good thing that I am a creature of the 21st century and took pictures of said kittens with my phone! 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=86ded7e128&view=att&th=1415c271481f8b5c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9VBY2ijCtSdiqs6NbUZQ4I&sadet=1380230692923&sads=tyMhdfq7rW6Rh0btzqj5QuIUmPg&sadssc=1

For some reason it is telling me I am not allowed to post images on this thread...which is stupid CAUSE ITS MINE.

These little guys are actually up for adoption if anyone in the NY area would like a small furry friend that likes to climb on your face! 

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Cookies won't make you explode - even with nitroglycerin (you'd just get poisoned), and food guilt is a completely useless feeling. You're awesome too for that. Let's instead EAT AND DRINK ALL THE THINGS (in sensible quantities) because food should be FUN. No offence to Steve but I'm not a robot. And apple pie is delicious, especially with bourbon om nom nom.

People don't make you cigarettes with attractively crimped borders and bourbon filling. 

I got shit to do and I don't have time to mope and freak out about a slip-up or an indulgence

Very true and I must remember this.  Awesome post.

The right thing starts at the beginning of the day, not after you've been caught." -John Crichton, Farscape

Rowan, even though your numbers weren't the best last week (except for kicking butt with the writing), you are still winning this challenge.  You totally have the right attitude.  Honestly, I think it would be stupid to have your friend make a delicious pie, and be like, no, I'm not going to eat your pie because of some internet challenge thingy.  No, you eat the damn pie.  Because it's delicious, and your friend baked it with love.  And we all need to eat a little love.  When you're on your deathbed, you're going to remember good times you had with friends and those you loved.  You won't be thinking, man, I'm so proud of myself for all that food I didn't eat.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I second (third? Fourd?) the comment that it's a fabulous post. 

Quitting sugary stuff is hard. It takes a lot of energy but you'll get there :) I love your attitude and I'm sure it'll help you do many great things :D

I swear that I envy your attitude. It's very healthy (psychological). Keep on with your ideas, they're awesome, and you're too. Thanks fir your post. It has been q huge motivation.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

Hello hello hello! 

These daily posts are turning out to be more like every-other-day posts, but whatever.  

Just got home from a long, weary day of work, let down my guard with food this morning due to a MASSIVE hangover, and having to nibble bread while at work in order to avoid vomiting on the cream of high-powered executive Manhattan.  I also had pasta for lunch because I really just couldn't face the greasy,  gristly beef stew that was the protein slop of the day, and the cheese n' chili quesadillas were just a little too shiny and metallic for my liking.  So pasta it was.  But it had broccoli in it?

The whole drinking bit that led up to said hangover was actually pretty ok in terms of bread and sugar - I had a scotch egg at the pub (with the most amazing mustard...) and some little bread crispy things with my duck rillete, and one slice of toast with cream cheese.  And one piece of dark chocolate.  Pretty good, no?  Except for the fact that I washed it down with about six pints, but hey, this challenge isn't about booze, so I win sort of! 

Also missed writing yesterday, except for a quick journal scribble - it's funny, but I already feel it when I miss a day of writing.  Itchy fingers.  Writing ideas for my novel in the little notebook I use to take orders.  Drunkenly bellowing, "GUESS WHAT NEW YORK I'M A WRITER" while weaving down Madison Avenue at one am.  Just general writerly longing.  After I finish this post I am sitting down (by which I mean snuggling into my down comforter with only my head and hands showing) and noveling for thirty minutes.  Hooray!

I actually have found out that most of my friends are ALSO writing novels, leading me to think that perhaps I shall AVENGERS ASSEMBLE them all together for a noveling party!  Pre-NANO of course.  And during NANO.  And after.  And into perpetuity. 

Noveling and desperate recovery sleep now, will update and follow and bother everyone in the morning.

Love you all.

Peace out.

After I finish this post I am sitting down (by which I mean snuggling into my down comforter with only my head and hands showing) and noveling for thirty minutes.  Hooray!

I'd like to do that, but until my thesis is finished, there's no time for fictional writing, I guess...

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Gotta love drunken shenanigans.  I hope you learned something.  (Avoiding hangovers isn't much fun, but perhaps not on a work night next time.)

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Sometimes, you see it coming.  You see that big, greasy, smirking ball of suckiness looming over the horizon, spewing exhaust, and you think to yourself, "holy sh**, this is gonna be awful."

I SEE IT.

As I sit here writing in my bed, I have 5 hours and 25 minutes before I need to be walking out the door to catch a train to go to work to do a 6am breakfast event, then go right into working lunch.  A 12-hour shift feels even more awesome when it starts five hours earlier than usual.  And the crazy thing is, I can't sleep.  My normal bedtime is 2am, and here I am trying to sleep around midnight, and lying in my bed feeling bored and twitchy, and where do we go when we can't sleep and we feel bored and itchy?

That's right, friends.  We go to the internet.

So here I am, and while I'm here I thought I might as well post my Week 2 wrap-up.  Accountability FTW!

WEEK TWO: 

Writing: 6/7 AWESOME!  A FOR AWESOME!

Workouts: 2/3

Better than last week! have been sore all week however due to work and heavy lifting and just general functional strength stuff, so not too worried.

Capoeira: errr, nope.  Maybe I will just try to GO TO ONE at SOME POINT.  I could probably manage that...

Food: Complicated.

YET AGAIN!  Man, this whole clear-cut-goals thing is messing me up.  Here's the official spread:

Day One: 3 pieces garlic bread, one bread roll, 2 mini cookies

Day Two: 2 slices bread, one strawberry shortcake, 3 mini cookies, bacon cheeseburger, 6 oreos

Day Three: 3 pieces bread, 2 slices apple pie, one scoop ice cream

Day Four: 2 pieces of toast, one scoop gelato

Day Five: Scotch egg, 2 pc. toast, one square chocolate

Day Six: 2 pieces bread, plate of pasta, 3 small chocolates

Day Seven: 1 piece fried chicken, 2pc chocolate, 1 aranciata

slices of bread (including burger bun as 2): 17

small cookies/chocolates: 17

ice cream: 2 scoops

weird decadent deep fried things: 2

desserts: 2

liquid sugar: 1

So. Clearly over the mark again.  but still starting to move in the right direction.  Learning and remembering to say, "no thanks." For example, as I was leaving work today, the pastry cooks put out an entire tray of hazelnut cream dacquoise, for everyone to eat.  Normally I could eat two or three.  Today I ate none.  Same with apple strudel last night.  Did not touch it.  Have been cooking more healthy meals too, greens with a poached egg and bacon salad are some favorites of mine.  I just seem to keep slipping in the moment and saying, f*** it, I'll have more chocolate, or another piece of garlic bread. Oh well.  Looking at it all grouped together like this, it actually doesn't look too bad.  I've been thinking about maybe switching out two squares of chocolate per day for two or three proper desserts per week - so if I want chocolate, I have to go to the 24 hour diner and order a slice of cake or a milkshake, and then thats strike one of three, rather than part of a constant low grade sugar exposure.  I think for me its all about self-care and getting a treat, and really having something delicious rather then just getting the sugar.  Or I could just be in denial :P

Anyhow, still feeling good about the challenge, gaining momentum, feeling good.  Must try to sleep now, will try lying in bed in the dark and listening to audiobooks.  Hooray?

See you all on the other side.

So. Clearly over the mark again.  but still starting to move in the right direction. 

Anyhow, still feeling good about the challenge, gaining momentum, feeling good. 

There's a good saying: "It doesn't matter where you are, the only thing that does is the direction, where you're headed!" It may take a year or two, but slowly and surely you will get to achieve this goal!

PS: Hope you got some sleep!

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Part of these challenges seems to be realizing what is realistic.  Adjusting how you have treats is a good example. 

And pastry chefs are evil. :playful:

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

That's an awesome attitude toward guilty pleasures that your friend has - very zen. Live now, because once now is gone you ain't gettin' it back. Keep on rockin', fellow Ranger!

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

What a great week! It's all about keeping moving in the right direction and giving it your all. Loud hurrahs for all the writing you have been doing!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines