Rowan: Down to the Bones

rowan

Friends, I have been cooking.  Both in the "yeeeah now we're cooking with gas!" way and in the actually making food in my tiny yet well-appointed kitchen. 

My one great and holy cookbook that I love and scribble notes in and drip bacon grease and fish sauce and soup all over is Sundays at Moosewood, and recently I have sort of found myself cooking my way through it, slowly but surely.  Like "Julie/Julia" but I probably won't make any money off it.  Anyhow, in addition to making awesome vegetable stews, hearty split pea soups, roasted eggplants, etc. I have also been quietly and sneakily sabotaging myself by baking.  I am a superb baker.  Something about the fall weather, makes me want to crank out dozens of cheese muffins, spice cakes, loaves of rye bread, scones, pies, and then to eat them.  Not all of them, of course - my two lovely co-residents devour most of everything, but holy crap it is hard to only have ONE steaming oven-fresh cheese muffin when you yourself have spent all night making them!  I need to find some new cooking projects...tajine? pot roast? pumpkin soup? But I love baking sooo much! Plus it does all get eaten....silly problems! 

All that to say that my eating has been, once again, interesting.  Last night I went out, on a whim (read: petulant defiance of what I know is best for me and my long term goals) and had a large slice of pepperoni pizza and an entire pint of chocolate Hagen Daaz.  The rest of the day was pretty normal - sausage, greens, omelette, fruit, coffee, carrots, blah blah blah BLAMMO JUNK FOOD FLASH FLOOD!  I was actually walking home to my apartment from the store with a dozen eggs, a can of tuna, and some sparkling water when a mere idle suggestion from my boyfriend became an unholy crusade of urgent pizza consumption.  

So I ate it.  And you know what? It was delicious.  I have had two slices of pizza in the past month, actually far longer than that, and pizza was always a food I enjoyed.  I had a slice of pizza, and I'm okay.  My stomach was a bit grumpy today, which is to be expected, but no great mechanical Hand of Judgement has swooped down to punish me, no one looks at me in the street with their eyes saying, "oh lord I bet that person ate a slice of pizza when they weren't supposed to."  I didn't suddenly gain 5 pounds overnight, neither did I feel particularly inclined to rush out and have another slice and pint.  The world rolled on as per usual, and I got a bit of a stomachache.  Sometimes though, all these crazy things do occur to me when I contemplate a croissant, or a full-fat latte, or a bar of chocolate or any of the other ridiculous things that somehow I manage to turn into a big energy-sucking Problem.  Part of me does really feel that people can see right through me and into my stomach and judge me for the slice of cheesecake I ate three days ago.  Part of me is also deeply, irrevocably convinced that there is a Library Police.  And I used to work in libraries and I know this not to be the case (I would call it more of a militia).  BUT.

Brains are weird. And they do weird things. And sometimes it seems to me that the majority of what constitutes winning your life is keeping good tabs on all your brain-crazy and being able to say, "whoops, there I go again!" and move on with your day. So let's do that?  

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Story time: my wife and I went out to a really nice pizza place (pizza has won world competitions and such) for our anniversary in the summer.

I had planned for it, and had calories "in the bank".  And I ate more than one piece.  But not the whole pizza.  And we even left some behind, because she didn't want it and I didn't need it.

And you are right.  The world did not end.  And I stayed on my plan, and have continued to make slow but steady progress, a little less than a pund per week for two months now.  That adds up.

And your cookery sounds fantastic.  'Twould be a waste to let those awesome skills wither away from disuse.  But best to just eat the one muffin!  ;)

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

You're right, it's just pizza, it is not the end of the world or the end of your diet.

But the baking sounds delicious, if I wasn't trying to lose weight myself I would love to become the third co-resident.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

The baking sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to cooler weather here to do some baking. I haven't been eating hardly anything like that lately, but with the holidays coming I really want to make my cheat meals count. Want to try some of the paleo baking recipes I've been collecting, too. And your Moosewood cooking binge...my mouth started watering at the thought of those soups and stews! Yum!

Agreed that brains are crazy and let's do that! We are almost through the challenge and you've been an inspiration!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

ZOMG, I can't believe I just now made my way over to your thread. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME???

I just have to say that you ROCK SO HARD!!! METAL FIST!!!

Also, you are completely full of awesome. :D

One more also. I promise not to be such a terrible NF bud next challenge!

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

Previous Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

“Decorum is highly overrated and probably causes cancer.”  ~ Jenny Lawson

Good morning, comrades!

Yeah, I kind of disappeared again. Sorry.  I kind of had the Shelob's Lair phase of this challenge - SO FRIGGIN CLOSE, and suddenly I'm paralyzed, trapped, seemingly without help, and I find myself in the putrid, roaring abyss of the whale's belly.  Then, even when a light comes into the darkness (when all other lights have gone out) , I can't be sure I have it in me to stand up and follow it.  

Pretty sucky, right?

And the best part is that even when you have dragged yourself out of the spider's den, gotten back on your feet, pointed yourself back in the right direction, and managed to put one foot in front of the other again, YOU ARE STILL WALKING TOWARDS MORDOR.  Who does that? I see in front of me the holiday season in NYC, the most lucrative and most soul-crushing time to work in a restaurant.  I fear for my feet. I fear for my immune system.  I fear for my emotional stability and I fear for my ability to hold good habits and make time for things like reading, working out, sleeping, etc.  

WHICH IS WHY I NEED NERDFITNESS.  This is my light in the darkness, this is my guideline in the blizzard, this is my homing signal.  I think I may have to simplify things EVEN MORE next challenge (especially since I am going to do NANOWRIMO) but I need to hold on to this.  

Ok, enough sleep-deprived ranting.  All that to say, I'm back, and I am not letting go.

LETS DO A WEEK 5 WRAPUP! 

Writing: 6/7  woot!  getting super exited for NANO, and I want to get as much done as possible on this book before I leave it so sit on the lees for a bit while I hash out a new novel! 

Workouts: 2/3  I'm okay with that.  Plus, I found out that a friend of mine at work and his wife both lift, and so I now have a real life fitness buddy!

Capoeira: Nope.

Eating: 

Day 1: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread, 2 drinks, half a chocolate dessert

Day 2: english muffin, half a slice of cornbread, half a slice bread, one dinner roll

Day 3: Open-face sammich, half a cupcake, 3 slice rye bread, shot scotch

Day 4: 5 slices bread, one slice pizza, one bite calzone, one pint ice cream, half a glass of wine

Day 5: 4 slices rye bread, 4 cheese muffins, one square choc, one shot whiskey

Day 5: Pasta with mystery sauce, one macaron, 2 small chocolates, pasta with butter, half a cheese muffin

Day 6: One slice pizza, one slice spice cake (no frosting), half a shot whiskey

Day 7: one slice bread, one slice spice cake, two small mystery chocolates

Yep, that one was a real winner. 

Bread: 19

Muffins/cake: 8

Pizza: 2

Chocolates: 5

Desserts: pint ice cream, half a dacquoise

Booze: 6

Aaaand that's what happens when I get into my Fall Baking Fever.  At least I know what went into all that bread, and it was high quality organic rye flour and yeast and water and a bit of buttermilk.  I guess if I'm going to eat bread, I would rather it be the good homemade kind.  Tough numbers last week, though, from baking rye bread, cheese muffins, and spice cake.  Then add in the two slices of pizza, a pint of ice cream, a small glass of whiskey nearly every night...oof.  No wonder I've been having stomach problems! Anyhow, that week is over, this week is now!

I am planning tonight to go out to dinner at my restaurant, and I will place no restrictions on myself except to not eat the bread (because honestly, why fill your stomach up with bread when you can fill it up with salmon tartare and pumpkin salad and sauerbraten and pork belly and duck breast with rainbow beets and house-made turnip chocroute...oh lord i havent had breakfast yet...).  It is going to be LEGENDARY.

I ate half a bar of chocolate last night as a birthday treat, and I regret nothing. I feel like this challenge has been Operation Don't Freak Out Just Do It Differently Tomorrow. Hmm...

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Also, HIII CHICKIEE! Welcome to my humble abode/thread! 

Real life fitness buddies are great.  I am glad for you.

The restaurant dinner sounds LEGENDARY. 

I'm glad that you are learning about Don't Freak Out.  Sometimes I need a little bit of this too.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

How was the dinner? Your description had me practically drooling on my keyboard!

I think I am going to use an acronym to remind myself - DFO! Used them all the time in fire and EMS and it really does help you to remember stuff when under duress.

And, your upcoming holiday season would definitely count as being under duress!

DFO, DFO, DFO...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Tuned in and listening for Radio Rowan's signal... Hope you finished strong on Week 6!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'M HERE I MADE IT!

Week six was a bust.  Go figure.

BUT. Next challenge looms on the horizon! I am now going to pass out in my bed and try not to move too much, but in the morning, I shall dish the gory details.

CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL

(well, maybe you can damp it down pretty good for about a week, BUT NO MORE THAN A WEEK!)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines