• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fonzico

The Re-Firing Squad: Blasting the demons of sabotage!

I feel bad not checking out your threads as often as I'd like but I had some weird stuff going on in the first week. I will however tell my story a little bit then.

I'm a 23 year old male, living in The Netherlands. I'm a(n aspiring) video game programmer. Have had my own company since I was 18 and I made website back-end systems for clients all over the world. Besides school (video game programmer course) I work part time too, in social media. I collect and analyze facebook, twitter and over 40.000 different sources of website data for our clients, which include pretty much every government agency like police to know what is going on in the country, public opinion or more serious endeavors. We also provide webcare solutions for easier methods for their clients to get problems fixed.

About my physique I'm about 155 lbs (~70kg) and am 6" (1.83 meter) tall. My weight is fine I think, some people say I'm a little underweight. I'm looking into strength training which would mean I need to bulk up more soon.

"I'm also sardonic, foul-mouthed, and occasionally hilarious."

Thats the best description ever. I'd love to be that cool!

Ha ha... that is a good description!

i don't think I've ever been accused of being one of the "cool" kids. But, since most of the things I love are now kinda? maybe? cool (geekery, boardgames, photography, crafts and previously seriously unhip things like needlepoint and paper crafting) maybe... :)

Geekery, board games, photography and crafts? Please, let's be best friends! Love all those! Photography editing (my least favorite part of the process, eep) is actually part of one of my side quests...

I feel bad not checking out your threads as often as I'd like but I had some weird stuff going on in the first week. I will however tell my story a little bit then.

I'm a 23 year old male, living in The Netherlands. I'm a(n aspiring) video game programmer. Have had my own company since I was 18 and I made website back-end systems for clients all over the world. Besides school (video game programmer course) I work part time too, in social media. I collect and analyze facebook, twitter and over 40.000 different sources of website data for our clients, which include pretty much every government agency like police to know what is going on in the country, public opinion or more serious endeavors. We also provide webcare solutions for easier methods for their clients to get problems fixed.

About my physique I'm about 155 lbs (~70kg) and am 6" (1.83 meter) tall. My weight is fine I think, some people say I'm a little underweight. I'm looking into strength training which would mean I need to bulk up more soon.

No worries, we all have our busy moments/days/weeks/months/years! We're happy to have you when you can chime in, and I'm always happy to get whatever accolades/encouragement I can get! Heh...

Computers! I keep thinking that if I'm to change careers dramatically, I should look into programming, since my whole family (mom/dad/bro) works within the IT realm. Really, I'm probably denying my true calling. What you're doing sounds super cool, though! My brother was an aspiring video game programmer at one point, but I haven't heard him talk about that in a while.

Strength training? You should do StrongLifts with me!

Can I join too?  Looks like a nice mix of newbies and experience folk.  

I can't see why not! Welcome to the group, and I'll be sure to check out your thread! ( I can do this, I WILL DO THIS! )

Thanks Red for the welcome.  I'll post the roster with my challenge here so it's easy for everyone to find.  I would love for you all to add me.  This seems like the right kind of team for me.

Fonzico - Fonzico's Daft Punk Challenge (Rangers)

Jo2926 - Jo2926 Running (well walking quickly) back to fitness (Adventurer)

Matt_72 - Matt_72 Rollin' with the Scouts (Scouts)

redtomato501 - In Which RedTomato501 Tries to Ketchup to Her Potential (Warriors)

Skywalker - Skywalker still cycling while mixing it up and making good choices (Scouts)

Kaiwa - Kaiwa - Level 1: Reclaiming what is mine (Level 1)

Darkfoxx - Darkfoxx 6: *Insert Something Witty Here* (Rangers)

Dragoness - The Quest Begins (Level 1)

Enderatrd - I can do this, I WILL DO THIS! (Level 1, total n00b)

Well, a little about myself I am.... 33, just needed a minute to do the math. I was in the best shape of my life when I moved to Alaska about 11 years ago and did a ton of hiking.  I then got sucked back into my workaholic ways and between long hours, constant fast food and becoming completely sedentary again I lost what progress I had made.  I've always been heavy and have now let it go to a crazy extent so I've made my fitness part of my work and personal goals.  I want to be a healthy weight so I can travel and hike the Chilkoot trail again.  I think that will be my big reward when I make it at least 60% of the way to my goal actually.

Anywoo...non-weight related I am an analyst and in charge of product development so I spend all day on the phone and computer, often simultaneously because multi-tasking is the name of the game.  For the past year I've been travelling 50-75% of every month so when I get home I just want to sleep and enjoy being home for a change.  I love Alaska and spring/summer are great for outdoor activities but as we move into winter the last thing I want to do is spend quality time in the freezing cold.  

I fully support geeking out and bonus points for sarcasm, funny foul-mouthed rants, and outbursts of random hilarity so bring on the fun!

i don't think I've ever been accused of being one of the "cool" kids. But, since most of the things I love are now kinda? maybe? cool (geekery, boardgames, photography, crafts and previously seriously unhip things like needlepoint and paper crafting) maybe... :)

Darkfoxx - Anyone who throws in geekery is on my cool kids list   :nevreness:

So team, how has everyone's first week gone?  

For me, it was a rocky start but I'm now in the groove.  I find that while my excuse has always been I can't do this because I'm always travelling it turns out this whole week at home has been way harder to get me motivated.  Any pointers for making sure I don't falter in weeks 2 & 3?  

This was easily my best first week of the 3 challenges I have participated in.

Exercise has been abundant, fast food and sweets have been scarce. 

Exercise and cooking seem to run parallel for me. The more that I do of both, the more that I want to do.  

Hey, all - I'm back from the mini-vacation and raring to go (after I catch up with everyone!) 

@enderatrd: Welcome. From my experience, keeping momentum comes when your brain makes the shift from 'this is something i have to be doing' to 'this is something i just do.' I kept going through my first few challenges on the fumes of wanting to not get a "fail" -- and it was rough. These days, it's a little easier going since I'm always building on the base I worked so hard to build. 

Just keep checking back in the forums for support and do some mini-challenges; those usually serve to re-ignite my willingness to work out when I'm faltering a bit. 

@redtomato: I hear ya. Post processing isn't my favorite thing, either, and it's hard to force myself into the groove. I now have a 2-day batch of seaside photos from this weekend to get through -- on top of the 10 folders full of pics staring me in the eyes every time I shut a window on my desktop. Some day ... :) 

Exercise and cooking seem to run parallel for me. The more that I do of both, the more that I want to do.  

Great news Matt!  Keep it up :)

Hi everyone!  I'm still here and still going strong....ish

Spent some time in hospital over the weekend, nothing too serious but have to see a neurologist because of loss of feeling in my right side. Its probably connected with me M.E. but they have to rule other things out, so taking it easy on the exercise. Still doing workouts, but only pushing it about 65%. 

Glad everyone seems to be doing well. Week 2 now - so maybe time for a mini challenge??

I wasn't sure where to post this but this seemed like the best place.

How do you all feel about talking to people in your real life about your fitness journey? 

I guess for me I want to lose weight and as a by-product of that get fitter and stronger. I wonder if I am going about it the wrong way because I really dislike having conversations about weight loss with real life people. The woman I work with asked me last week why I had started buying salads for lunch and it wasn't an obviously pointed question but I got immediately defensive and rather than just saying "Oh I decided that I don't wanna be a fat f#ck any more" I rambled on about how I should really make my own salad but I struggled with time in the mornings blah blah blah and then almost as an aside I muttered "Oh and I am trying to lose some weight" I feel embarrassed that I am trying to lose weight when I talk to people about it.

When I saw a Dr a month or so ago and he suggested that if I lost some weight it might have a positive effect on a particular aspect of my health it was great and a validation that I should be doing this and that it could have far more important ramifications than just going down a size in pants. Then a week later I got a call from my sister who had heard from my mother that the Dr had suggested I lose some weight and it was a really uncomfortable conversation to have for me and I guess that I didn't really just come out and say "Yeah I need to lose anyway weight but that would be a nice bonus"

Logically I should be proud and all puffy chested about wanting to do something to promote better health for myself and in essence for my family but I find that I shrink during those times that I am forced to confront what I am doing and why I am doing it. 

Well there's your happy thoughts for the day lol

@Jo: Sorry to hear your ME is making life difficult, but you have to give yourself big kudos for working out at whatever capacity you have available anyways. That is fantastic :) 

@Matt: I will talk to anyone that will even pretend to listen about NF and the challenges I'm doing. Anyone whom I think may benefit even a little from the support I'm getting and the things I'm doing. It's a nice balance from food - which is what conversations generally rotate around. As for weight loss, being open with people about that - or anything, really - has never been hard for me. I'm happy to lend some knowledge to other people - even though the amount most people actually know about food and the amount of wrong shit they believe makes me worry for the species.  

Jo, sorry, you're having troubles! I hope you feel better soon, and like DF says, good on you for doing what you can in the meantime! *whompwhomp healing vibes whompwhomp*

Matt, I think maybe us women have it a little easier, as it seems to be socially accepted that we are constantly trying to live up to super models! But that being said, I think many people get to a point they're unhappy with by living in denial, and addressing that whole situation requires owning up to the fact that you got there in the first place, and even if you've already come to terms with it yourself, it can be hard to admit to other people. That being said, I think the vast majority of people are going to be both sympathetic and proud of you, and those who aren't, aren't worth talking to about it. It will get easier as you get used to it... and quite frankly, if you really don't want to talk about it, you aren't obliged to. A simple "I feel better when I do *whatever activity they're asking about*" or "Just trying to be healthier!" should suffice for all but the nosiest. The joy of this community here is that we're all in this together, and have similar goals and attitudes... but it's still about your own journey, and supportive internet strangers in many ways are a much better forum that people IRL!

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think the more I accept what I MUST do the easier it will become to relate that to others.

Who's up for a mini-challenge?

I was thinking something simple.

The 100 Challenge! Do 100 of anything. Crunches, push-ups, lunges, pull ups, bicep curls, star jumps, etc etc. What say you rebels?

BACK. Sup everyone? - sounds like some serious ass kicking is being done, and I loved hearing more about everyone. We ARE the cool kids  B) Sorry I was MIA, I got sick from something I ate on my trip (I caved and went out to eat with friends... no body else got sick, so I think it was just an celiac thing) but I've been keeping up this week and I'm ready to get back to beasting this challenge. 

@ Matt- oh god. I'm going to go sob too, that many pushups hurts just to think about.

I'm late to the party, but I enjoyed everyone's backstory so much I wanted to join in -

I'm 22, about 2 months away from being 23, fresh out of college. I spent the last four years in school out in the middle-of-nowhere Kentucky, and am back at home in the suburbs of Chicago. I spent 8 years training in Tae Kwon Do, and worked as an instructor at my dojang for the last three years before I left for college. Drama with the masters over a mystery illness (that turned out to just be asthma) means I probably won't go back now, but I sure miss being able to drop kick everyone in the room. 

I'm really energetic, a little moody, and very easily affected by the emotional climate around me (which is why super-positive Nerd Fitness is perfect to keep me motivated :D) I love languages; especially ancient ones with dead alphabets like egyptian hieroglyphs, I love writing (thus working on some children's books!) and I love all things sciencey, artsy, geeky, etc. I always need to have some project going, or my whole life gets unfocused. Yay for challenges!

TMI time/shameless plea for advice & inspiration if anyone's got opinions: the 'flesh wound' on my shin looks like its almost healed over. Now, it kinda looks like I was attacked by the fire nation... That might be what I tell people if anyone asks XD

Anyway, I've recovered from sprains and strains before while training, and it's starting to feel like I can do more, but if anyone has advice for working out and healing from the many-stitches kind of injury, it'd be much appreciated. I like to be really active and acrobatic when I work out, so adjusting to bodyweight rep drills and walking as opposed to sprints, kicks and rolling is a little... boring.  :ph34r:

Hope the weekend goes well for everyone, and fellow first-time challengers remember we're only one week away from reaching Level 1 XD 

Well I basically fell off the healthy wagon in Week 2 so Week 3 is recovery week.  I have not done so much damage last week that I lost all the ground I had gained, but I definitely took a few steps backwards.  I'll have to re-dedicate myself this week and push hard.

That's how this thing goes, isn't it? One step back, two steps forward. (i just want you guys to know that my phone autocorrected "step" to syrup, and now think we should just take a syrup back and think about that ;))

I sincerely doubt that anyone on this sort of journey has done everything perfectly - it really is about building better long term habits. As long as you keep trying, you haven't failed.

What's our plan of attack for week three? I suggest that we take a look at the goal we've been struggling with the most, and commit to attacking it head on this week. For me, that's pushups. I've done them once this week, and I'm promising myself I'll do the second tomorrow, and the third on friday, so there can be no "forgetting" on the weekend.

YYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!

@redtomato: I hear ya. Post processing isn't my favorite thing, either, and it's hard to force myself into the groove. I now have a 2-day batch of seaside photos from this weekend to get through -- on top of the 10 folders full of pics staring me in the eyes every time I shut a window on my desktop. Some day ... :)

YES. No kidding. Ugh. I totally had time to post-process this past weekend, and didn't, because I'm so embarressed about how long it's taken already... thereby making it worse? Yep, definitely making it worse. That tendency is still one of my, ah, growing edge. 

How do you all feel about talking to people in your real life about your fitness journey? 

I guess for me I want to lose weight and as a by-product of that get fitter and stronger. I wonder if I am going about it the wrong way because I really dislike having conversations about weight loss with real life people. The woman I work with asked me last week why I had started buying salads for lunch and it wasn't an obviously pointed question but I got immediately defensive and rather than just saying "Oh I decided that I don't wanna be a fat f#ck any more" I rambled on about how I should really make my own salad but I struggled with time in the mornings blah blah blah and then almost as an aside I muttered "Oh and I am trying to lose some weight" I feel embarrassed that I am trying to lose weight when I talk to people about it.

When I saw a Dr a month or so ago and he suggested that if I lost some weight it might have a positive effect on a particular aspect of my health it was great and a validation that I should be doing this and that it could have far more important ramifications than just going down a size in pants. Then a week later I got a call from my sister who had heard from my mother that the Dr had suggested I lose some weight and it was a really uncomfortable conversation to have for me and I guess that I didn't really just come out and say "Yeah I need to lose anyway weight but that would be a nice bonus"

Logically I should be proud and all puffy chested about wanting to do something to promote better health for myself and in essence for my family but I find that I shrink during those times that I am forced to confront what I am doing and why I am doing it. 

What would I do? In the salad situation, I think I'd just smile and say, "It sounds and tastes good." and leave it at that - it's kind (or nosy, but I'll give her the benefit) to be curious and (hopefully) supportive, but if you are uncomfortable giving her an explanation, you don't owe her one. All she needs to know is that you wanted salads for lunch on those days, whatever your motivation, so change the topic quickly and most people will get the hint. If you do want to give her a little more of an explanation, you still don't have to frame it in the context of weight, just say, "I'm choosing to make healthier choices these days." and again move the the conversation on... "Have you tried the salads here? What's your favorite? What did you think of the morning's meeting?"

Sister's a little harder, family has (or think they have, at least usually) a "right" to ask nosier questions than co-workers, due to their deeper and more personal connection to you. For her, I'd advise an "admit and defer" strategy, such as, "You heard right, actually, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable talking about it with others (or "people other than Mom") right now. I'd love to tell you more about it when I get more comfortable, because I value your support and advice, but I'm not ready to talk about it. How's Billy/work/your-underwater-basket-weaving these days?" Again, Sister would love to know what's going on, and you don't want to be rude and blow her off, but you also don't want to talk about it, and that's okay! The "admit and defer" let's you acknowledge the story and not tell her, not because she isn't someone you want to tell but because you aren't ready to tell. That distinction helps people to accept it - and of course, changing the conversation helps!

Forget the logic and the "I shoulds" as long as you do have a few people you are comfortable talking about it with and receiving support from - sounds like you have your Doctor, your mom and your wife, if I remember correctly? It's a personal journey with strong emotional ties, and just isn't everyone's business.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think the more I accept what I MUST do the easier it will become to relate that to others. Who's up for a mini-challenge? I was thinking something simple. The 100 Challenge! Do 100 of anything. Crunches, push-ups, lunges, pull ups, bicep curls, star jumps, etc etc. What say you rebels?

Oh man! I had been doing a 100 push-ups program at one point - my co-worker and I would actually do it together after our trainees left for the day - but never finished it, and was on my knees, any way! I'm down! Time to do the real deal, though...

What's our plan of attack for week three? I suggest that we take a look at the goal we've been struggling with the most, and commit to attacking it head on this week. For me, that's pushups. I've done them once this week, and I'm promising myself I'll do the second tomorrow, and the third on friday, so there can be no "forgetting" on the weekend.

Ha ha... I've been struggling with all my goals except the StrongLifts one, which I'm rocking out on. How could I pick?! But yes, I think that's a good challenge for a group... refocus and achieve!

Thanks so much for all the sage advice RT. All taken on board and appreciated. :)

Great idea Fonzico. I am going to focus on my work challenge. I have 2 full days to get all of this crap off my desk before the end of the week and if I get cracking there is no reason why it can't be done.