• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fonzico

The Re-Firing Squad: Blasting the demons of sabotage!

@Matt: That used to be one of my standard go-to breakfasts, back when I was eating bread & cheese. I'd line up a week's worth of sandwiches in the fridge next to some carrot sticks & hummus packets and run out the door. 

@Matt: Not bad - I fried mine with salt & pepper and added cheese. I remember nuking the sandwiches when I got to work and being happy to have something warm to eat. This was years ago - I remember also having cheese mess to deal with; most likely from over-microwaving. 

Hey everyone, I'm back (and have duly updated by thread).

Just to recap - wow, I'm so glad that I did this trip. It had given me a focus and a goal to improve my cycling fitness and the work really did pay off. I was really worried before I went but after doing the commuting and group ride training I felt I could do enough to enjoy the holiday and I felt that I had don enough. The only parts of the trip I bailed on were real hills, and it didn't really do uh hill climbing, but I think my hill climbing has improved on the trip.

Now, to keep up with the thread, here is my background.

I'm 49 and have been overweight for close to 20 years. I've made changes that have made me fitter, but haven't dropped the weight that I'd like. I love hiking (and cycling) and basically do it in spite of being overweight. I am using my next birthday as added motivation to reach a weight loss goal - more on that in an upcoming challenge.

I'm more of a closet geek - I loving hanging out with nerds and enjoy nerding it up on all sorts of things, but don't show this geeky side to everyone.

Matt, I'm a bit like you, I don't advertise my latest health plans to the world, mostly because I'm always trying something new (remember the intermittent fasting challenge) and I feel like they don't need to know the constant new rules in my food life. In retrospect that may be why I'm not that successful?? Anyway I tend to keep my food related goals to myself and don't engage in protein versus carb discussions. I will declare something like a soft drink free or biscuit free challenge to give myself some at work accountability.

I'm thinking of doing these this week. 

Ooo, I might have to try those too! I didn't eat much fast food at all for nearly three years, and then I moved to a house two blocks from McD's, which I drive past every single morning on my way to work.... yeah. Bad news bears. Making my own sounds like an awesome idea!

@Skywalker I am not sure that discussion of health, fitness, food goals in the real world is always helpful. The older I get the more I see and hear people who use others goals against them. It's pretty effed up but it is definitely out there.I guess that's one of the great gifts that this community offers. We can all be spread to the 4 corners of the earth and trying different methods to achieve different goals but we all have in common that we want to be better tomorrow than we are today. And there is no bitchiness, or negative competitiveness in the threads I visit which I think abounds purposely and or subconsciously in the real world.  

@redtomato501 I am 288 days into my no McDonald's for a year and the hardest thing to turn down is breakfast on Saturday morning where for any number of reasons i have to get up early. That was always my pay off for coming into work on a Saturday. I'm pretty sure I might start New Years Day next year with a sausage and egg McMuffin and finish it with a double cheeseburger and then start the challenge all over again.

My mini-challenge for this week to is come in under calories for all 7 days. If that means I have to do a bodyweight workout after dinner because I had something I shouldn't have then that's what I will do. There is no chocolate in the house so I think this one is covered.

@redtomato501 I am 288 days into my no McDonald's for a year and the hardest thing to turn down is breakfast on Saturday morning where for any number of reasons i have to get up early. That was always my pay off for coming into work on a Saturday. I'm pretty sure I might start New Years Day next year with a sausage and egg McMuffin and finish it with a double cheeseburger and then start the challenge all over again.

My mini-challenge for this week to is come in under calories for all 7 days. If that means I have to do a bodyweight workout after dinner because I had something I shouldn't have then that's what I will do. There is no chocolate in the house so I think this one is covered.

Ha ha ha.... You're not afraid that the one taste will send spiraling back into the McDonald's inferno?! If you can pull that off, you're a better person than I am! I"m already impressed by the 288 days.

And... you've got this! Definitely believe in you, especially with that temptation out of the house!

I'm after others thoughts on intermittent fasting or 5-2.

I watched a show on tv last night which from what I have found online was a huge hit early this year. It outlined several health benefits from eating this way. I don't want to call it a diet it seems more like a protocol. The actual changes in the guys physiology was pretty remarkable and the benefits for him were life changing.

Now I'm a sceptic at the best of times but the idea struck me as interesting enough to look into and then I find that the Dr, who's other shows I have seen and enjoyed, produced a book outlining the idea in conjunction with the show. That raises a red flag for me immediately because it is one thing to produce a tv show and offer all the data and facts and say "There you go, decide for yourself" and it is another to do that in conjunction with a "diet" book coming out shortly afterwards.

Tell me why it is a bad idea :)

Ha ha ha.... You're not afraid that the one taste will send spiraling back into the McDonald's inferno?! If you can pull that off, you're a better person than I am! I"m already impressed by the 288 days.

And... you've got this! Definitely believe in you, especially with that temptation out of the house!

Nah I can happily admit that my desire for McDonalds far outweighs any benefit that my taste buds receive. I guess as a kid in the 70's and 80's in Australia if you were having take away it was most likely Fish and Chips, Rotisserie Chicken and Chips or McDonalds. More often than not it would be one of the first 2 on a Friday night so McDonalds was always a treat. That's probably hard wired into my mind somewhere which probably creates the desire for something that really doesn't taste all that great. So at this stage I am confident that I can break my McDonalds fast for 1 day then get back on the wagon. Only time will tell :)

Hey I tried intermitted fasting for about eight weeks. Some of my family were doing it after watching probably the same show, they showed me and I tried it.

It wasn't hard to do once you made your mind up that this is what you are doing, you get into a new routine. I would consider doing it again to show myself that it is easier to have food discipline when you have really decided that you are doing something and also I found it reset my hunger levels once you have really been hungry (does that make sense?)

I ate one 300 cal meal in 24 hours so I'd have a decent lunch which made me feel in control because I went training after work and was worried I'd faint. I would eat the next morning when I felt hungry, so sometimes it wasn't until 10am the next day. I did it twice a week.

I didn't lose any weight (maybe 1/2 kilo) so I did some more research and some say that people do it wrong because they still calorie restrict for the rest of the time and they shouldn't. Also I have read that it may not be suitable long term for women. Having said that the family who did it dropped about a kilo a week in the same time. I really don't lose weight easily so I wasn't surprised but I was disappointed because I thought it might work for me.

You don't really get too hungry once you have passed normal meal times because your body knows that ldinner is around 7pm so on e it gets to 10pm you don't feel hungry. Sometimes I did have a more restless night, but I sleep very well.

I say give it a go and see for yourself.

So, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just been buried under work. I'm finding when I'm home I fail my challenges much more than when I travel for work.  When travelling I almost always hit my exercise goals and the good behaviors of my fellow co-workers help me, but at home it's so easy to blow things off and I don't have groceries or food that complies in the house.  While I think my overall challenge scores will be poor, I'm still making progress on weight loss which is a win so it's not a total failure my first time out.  

I think I need to be more realistic on my goals for the next challenge!

Glad you're still kicking! It's always so difficult trying to find that balance between pushing yourself to improve, and picking goals you'll actually accomplish... Time for some reflection before the next one, eh? It sounds like your diet when you're at home is the real problem... any thoughts on what you could have done differently that might have set you up for more success?

I'm finding when I'm home I fail my challenges much more than when I travel for work.  When travelling I almost always hit my exercise goals and the good behaviors of my fellow co-workers help me, but at home it's so easy to blow things off and I don't have groceries or food that complies in the house.  

Isn't it funny that the situation under which we presumably would have the most control (home), we can mess up so easily?! Totally feel you on that - while I don't travel for work, I do tend to plan for it more than I do for home!

One more week, one more week, one more week.

WE CAN DO IT!

Just wanted to say that I've made something pretty similar to those McMuffin copycats, and it's kept me well fed at the office! Breakfast today and yesterday, and dinner tonight!

I made some fresh on the weekend for breakfast and they were great. I used avocado instead of butter and pancetta instead of bacon and they really hit the spot. I still haven't made any as forward planning for breakfast but I am looking forward to doing it.

I made some fresh on the weekend for breakfast and they were great. I used avocado instead of butter and pancetta instead of bacon and they really hit the spot. I still haven't made any as forward planning for breakfast but I am looking forward to doing it.

Yummm

Glad you're still kicking! It's always so difficult trying to find that balance between pushing yourself to improve, and picking goals you'll actually accomplish... Time for some reflection before the next one, eh? It sounds like your diet when you're at home is the real problem... any thoughts on what you could have done differently that might have set you up for more success?

So as we end this challenge I have learned many things:

-Don't set goals to be perfect, aim for 80% because life happens so if you exceed you're goal that's awesome, but I need to be realistic and not too hard on myself

-My weak areas aren't where I expected them to be, so at home I need an advance plan to set up for success because a house with no food and town with very restaurants and non that delivery paleo options is not where you want to be when you're tired and just want to be a lazy bum and relax

-Even though I didn't hit my targets, I'm going to focus on the positive and think of it as another step in my journey.  I may not have succeeded as I hoped and reached my ideal consistency, but perseverance still paid off with a 12lb loss - THAT'S THE RIGHT DIRECTION! And while the number on the scale didn't make a huge jump, I am stronger and more excited and likely to make better food and exercise choices.  Now I need to stick with it an keep building until this becomes like second nature and I don't have to try so hard to make the better choices.  

How is everyone else feeling as we wrap up the challenge?  Anyone joining the next challenge?  Lessons learned?  Wins we can celebrate together?

I also want to thank everyone for their support. This has been incredibly helpful on my journey and I hope it has been equally valuable for all of you.  Keep on lifting, eating right and making those changes you want to have in your life until they become second nature.

-Ender