Kishi

And just like that, the next challenge is upon us. Honestly, I've been raring to go all week. I've got a 90-day training plan I've been sitting on, and I waited until the start of this challenge to apply it. I've spent the past week, pretty much just resting and doing yoga and eating lots of fat and vegetables.

It's been pretty okay. Definitely impressed upon me how vital diet is in getting yourself to looking the way you want to look. I'm fasting my way through today after having had cheat day yesterday, and I feel like things are going pretty good.

I've ended up in a coaching group led by Jason Ferruggia, and have found myself with probably more in the way of resources than I'll ever really need for a lot less than I was paying to buy individual programs before. Can't believe I didn't think to do this sooner.

So! What's up this challenge? Same old same: trying to get to looking great naked while improving strength while training martial arts. The only difference is, this time, I don't have to carry the weight of my own programming anymore. :)

Goal 1: Bodyweight Bodybuilding 4x Per Week

Yup. It's a whole slew of exercises designed around using calisthenics to build the body. It's the best of both worlds, as I see it: building strength that's functional, as well as having fun with all kinds of different things. I don't feel right listing the specific exercises; feels like proprietary information, you know? But I will remain accountable to y'all for doing them. It's essentially a bunch of moves and some pre-programmed finishers. Graded out of a possible 24. +4 STR

Goal 2: MMA Bodyweight System 4x Per Week

And this is where it gets interesting. XD Dunno if you heard of this guy, but he created a system of using MMA moves to condition the body. It's short, intense, to the point. It's basically practicing cage-fighting mechanics, combined with striking work. It's kind of my way of touching base again with martial arts, which I need to get back into again. Same as above, proprietary stuff, can't list the workouts themselves, but I will be accountable to you that I did them. Graded out of a possible 24. +5 STA

Goal 3: High Volume Maintenance

Right. So I haven't ever been the best about paying attention to my body's needs for maintenance. Warm-up? Cool-down? The hell are those? ;) The thing is, I've gotten a lot better at warming up. I'm not quite so good when it comes to cooling down. That's something I need to do more of. I wasn't so good about warming up before I made it a habit; now I need to make my cooldowns habitual as well. Graded out of a possible 42. +3 CON

LIFE GOAL: REDEFINING HUSTLE

So, some of you might remember that my car basically bit the dust this past week. And I'd been working on finding a solution to that. My dad basically came in and helped me get a new car, which is awesome. And now I'm going to have to make car payments, like an adult. This is not a problem, except that I need to find another job to help me get there. So, I'll be working the personal training job, plus another job (possibly two), whilst simultaneously attempting to build up some clientele on my own.

My work is cut out for me. But for the moment, let's just focus on getting that next job. Pass/Fail. +1.5 WIS, +1.5 CHA

So, what's gonna motivate me? After all, I don't have a spouse to look good for, a kid to inspire, or anything like that. Yeah, I want to take care of my family, but being able to do more pull ups or getting teh abzzors isn't particularly relevant toward any of that.

What drives me in this? Honestly, it's the fact that I have you all to be an example for. Struggling for physical beauty and capability has just been something I've done for a long time. Y'all give me a reason to keep on fighting over here, because I know y'all are gonna work hard wherever you are. I gotta step up if I'm going to lead you all with anything like a clean conscience.

I'm ready if you are. Let's go to work.

What a tease!  I mean, it's respectable of you to not disclose proprietary information, but the curiosity will kill me.  Start preparing your eulogy for my funeral, please.  

Here lies Phoenix Burning, the brightly burning bird. Not so burning now that she's corpse-ified and gross. :D

You'd better not hog all the awesome.

Yes, you tease us so!

And glad we can be your Motivation.

BE OUR EXAMPLE!

Here lies Phoenix Burning, the brightly burning bird. Not so burning now that she's corpse-ified and gross. :D

Oh Noes!!

Poor Phoenix, now just an ember. :(

Let's give her a 1up so she can own her challenge and blaze again!!

You'd better not hog all the awesome.

Yes, you tease us so!

And glad we can be your Motivation.

BE OUR EXAMPLE!

Oh Noes!!

Poor Phoenix, now just an ember. :(

Let's give her a 1up so she can own her challenge and blaze again!!

How could I hog it? Everyone brought their own. :D

Ah, yes, and so the pressure begins. BRING IT.

An inspiration you are, indeed! It's so great to see a fearless leader like you pushing yourself through it all; that Life Goal of yours looks killer, but it's real life. Naturally, I'll be cheering you on! :)

Thanks! Thank you so much. I'll think of y'all when I want to quit.

Also, for PhoenixBurning:

0.jpg

IT COMES IN CANS

Being better is always its own reward. It's defining the 'better' that sometimes ends up tripping you up... It looks like you figured it out though. Inspiring others and Firefly references are a great life goal, man :D

// Back now and wanted to say hi again :) I'll be plodding away in the dust while looking up to your shining perfection :D during this, as before.

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:1 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:2

Return of the Tabris: Chapter 3

Battle Logs

Have faith, you're not a moron. - John Brown

Being better is always its own reward. It's defining the 'better' that sometimes ends up tripping you up... It looks like you figured it out though. Inspiring others and Firefly references are a great life goal, man :D

// Back now and wanted to say hi again :) I'll be plodding away in the dust while looking up to your shining perfection :D during this, as before.

I'm glad you caught the reference! I was afraid I'd set the wrong tone with it if it wasn't caught. And yeah. Looking better is ultimately tied to being better, and I've had to get hard with myself and admit that though my work capacity is through the roof, my strength really isn't. Which has been a long learning experience. Hopefully having someone else do the work will be better. :)

Welcome back! And no, no, no. I'm down in the dust with you. My dust just looks different from yours. I'm still on a long winding road, just like you. Really.

Always looking forward to the intro to your threads for the music -- you did not disappoint! Goals are great, as usual. Let's rock this!

Actually, I had to dig around for that one. Couldn't find any of my music that really suited my mood on this one, so I went looking for a mix and listened while writing up my thread. I got lucky and this one came on just as I was finishing up.

LET'S ROCK

Looks like I've missed a lot sitting out the last challenge.

I love the idea of turning MMA moves into a BWW. It is something I have been trying to do with my taekwondo.

Lead on.

I love the idea of turning MMA moves into a BWW. It is something I have been trying to do with my taekwondo.

Lead on.

CHEF!!! Good to see you on the thread! :D

I agree, it makes the moves more practical. I hope to see vids of these so I can take all the notes.

Love this! 

Leading by example is by far one of your best traits, I will be looking to you for inspiration in the weeks to come!

Level 3 Sith Battle Monk - Has a Yellow Belt in Push Ups!

STR 14 I DEX 5 I STA 16 I CON 3 I WIS 6 I CHA  7

Peace is a lie,

There is only passion,

Through passion I gain strength,

Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The Force shall set me free.

I'm glad you caught the reference! I was afraid I'd set the wrong tone with it if it wasn't caught.

I think it was modified, so only the nerdiest of the Browncoat nerds recognized the quote :D Besides, it's from a quiet scene and not from a big actiony moment; that might be why people don't remember as well as some others.

And no, no, no. I'm down in the dust with you. My dust just looks different from yours. I'm still on a long winding road, just like you. Really.

That was sarcasm :playful:

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:1 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:2

Return of the Tabris: Chapter 3

Battle Logs

Have faith, you're not a moron. - John Brown

Lead on.

It got busy in here, it really did. Not so many monks as before, but we make up for it in intensity.

Yeah, I know, right? You can get a really good, brief, intense kind of workout just throwing punches and kicks quickly and with technique. Doesn't have to be MMA to work.

You got it.

CHEF!!! Good to see you on the thread! :D

I agree, it makes the moves more practical. I hope to see vids of these so I can take all the notes.

I KNOW, RIGHT. I dunno why, but it just feels better with the Chef in town.

Hm. I don't have the ability to post videos of my own, but he does have a channel on YerTerb. Lots of free workouts there that discuss the same principles.

Love this! 

Leading by example is by far one of your best traits, I will be looking to you for inspiration in the weeks to come!

Thanks!

I think it was modified, so only the nerdiest of the Browncoat nerds recognized the quote :D Besides, it's from a quiet scene and not from a big actiony moment; that might be why people don't remember as well as some others.

That was sarcasm :playful:

I. I mean. SURE, OF COURSE IT WAS. :D

Day 1! Day 1! Day 1! Day 1! Day 1!!!

:D I know, I know, I'm comin', I'm comin'!

Subbed!

I hope the secret sauce workouts work for you both physically, as well as mentally (teaching you how and why they work, and thus how to program better yourself!).

Also nice epic music :)

Boy, me too. I have a lot more fun analyzing programs as opposed to constructing them. And there's something to be said for letting someone else do the work. I reckon it's the same reason people come looking to personal trainers.

Thanks! It was a pleasant surprise.

POST!!!

ALL RIGHT!!!

Body Weight Bodybuilding: 1/24

MMA: 1/24

Cool Down/Maintenance: 1/42

-.- Whew.

Monks. I think my work is cut out for me here.

And I don't want to leave you completely in the dark, so here's a list of the moves I did tonight.

Handstands

Planche Progression

Front Lever Progression

TRX HSPU

Chin Ups

Skater Squats (found I didn't need a balance assist on this one)

Hanging Knee Raise

Dynamic Neck Bridge on Swiss Ball

Finisher: Ten Minutes Jumping Rope.

Total time elapsed: 36:51

MMA: Striking work mixed with sprawls. Total time: Seven minutes, not including warm up flows. Wanted to throw in an extra six minutes of core work, but I did it at the studio and there was a night class coming in.

Yeah. I think that's just the right mix of vague and informative to give you an idea of what's going on. Ferruggia himself lists the moves off when he's selling the system, so I don't think that's breaking any rules. But if I get into programming specifics, I feel like I'm a dead man.

Of course, after the training, I feel like a dead walking man anyway. So I guess it doesn't really matter so much.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines