• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AshPS

THE DAI-GURREN BRIGADE!!

On my phone so sorry if I miss anything.

M - welcome! I got wrangled in from last challenge as well. Plenty of new faces here I think. Crowd seems friendly, though their gratuitous use of formatting, abuse of smileys, and general fervor for multiple punctuation marks is... troubling. I try to remain calm in the face of such positivity.

Ayla - good luck. I quit smoking last challenge, for the umpteenth time. Still going strong. Be the bitch you need to be to work through this. Remind yourself it's the chemicals that did this to you. When you're furious or moody, the silver lining is that you're a bitch because you are NOT having cigarettes. Every mood swing is a small victory. It gets better. We are with you.

Buggalo! Way to listen to your body, whatever it was saying. I'm no grain myself and they wreck me when I cheat, but I know everyone is different. Good luck getting it all sorted.

Everyone I missed - sorry, I'm a bit mentally disheveled at the moment. Carry on.

Cheers!

My thanks to everyone for the warmhearted welcome, and additional thanks to those who infiltrated Courier6's thread. That was exactly what I had in mind! A truly nice thing to wake up to, both on her side and on mine!

I signed up on Spezzy's accountabilibuddies spreadsheet just a few minutes ago, so it's official. I'll be going around everyone's threads today. See you there!

AshPS gorilla'd guerrilla'd me into introducing myself here. And it's working.

So yeah, hello world! I'm M, a mathematician, a hobbyist novelist, and martial artist. I'm working on preparation for life after challenge #2. Literally.

I've had some indirect contact with the Gurren Brigade during the last challenge; I recognize a few faces from bluekiwi1's, Snow's and PhDifferent's challenge threads. It seems like the Brigade's hallmark signature has always been lots of huge-sized centered red text (predominantly "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!") and the gratuitous use of exclamation marks and smileys. Well, why not? I sure could have used that during the Week of the Thesis Frenzy.

I should also mention that I have no idea which franchise, if any, the Gurren Brigade is based on.

So yeah. Hello, world! If you're willing to have me, then thanks, and I'll take care of the "paperwork" (the accountabilibuddies spreadsheet) tomorrow, when I get back onto a computer that groks Google Docs. (One of the consequences of using somewhat non-standard computer equipment.)

(On an unrelated note: if you are also willing to do me a favor, then please apply your accountability goodness to this girl. If I need accountability, then she needs it doubly so. Plus, I reckon it'd be a boost of motivation if suddenly a bunch of people came in to her thread out of nowhere yelling "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?" and stuff; she wouldn't feel quite so lone ranger-ish. Thanks.)

purity.png

Glad to have you on board M! Everything you need to know about the franchise our namesake and attitude comes from can be found in this video. If you like it and would like to watch the rest I always have a link to the full series in my challenge thread in the very beginning! Also, mad props on being a mathematician! This is me whenever I encounter math nowadays.

On my phone so sorry if I miss anything. M - welcome! I got wrangled in from last challenge as well. Plenty of new faces here I think. Crowd seems friendly, though their gratuitous use of formatting, abuse of smileys, and general fervor for multiple punctuation marks is... troubling. I try to remain calm in the face of such positivity. Ayla - good luck. I quit smoking last challenge, for the umpteenth time. Still going strong. Be the bitch you need to be to work through this. Remind yourself it's the chemicals that did this to you. When you're furious or moody, the silver lining is that you're a bitch because you are NOT having cigarettes. Every mood swing is a small victory. It gets better. We are with you. Buggalo! Way to listen to your body, whatever it was saying. I'm no grain myself and they wreck me when I cheat, but I know everyone is different. Good luck getting it all sorted. Everyone I missed - sorry, I'm a bit mentally disheveled at the moment. Carry on. Cheers!

We'll break your calm, icy exterior yet Elbow, even if I must unleash all the red text and exclamation points! Perhaps in pun format!! For example:

I ONCE SUBMITTED TEN ENTRIES INTO A PUN CONTEST! WHEN I WENT TO SEE IF I WON, I FOUND THAT NO PUN IN TEN DID!!!

In your other news, hope all is well and your brain tidies itself up soon!

Ayla - I think we talked about smoking last challenge very briefly. Just to add on to everyone's enthusiasm though, you've fucking got this! You've got some experienced past-smokers and past-smokers relatives/SO's here to help you out with tips and tricks if you need our help! Keep kicking and fighting and struggling! It's only defeat if you stop trying! As long as we're trying we're winning!! When you're feeling weak or bummed out, just remember to ask yourself and your addiction,

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!!!

So I've gotten myself behind on hours at work trying to keep my billable hours pure on productivity and now I have some kind of respiratory infection that will keep me from swimming today.  I hope to be able to swim again by Friday and then I will try to make up the swim day as soon as possible.  Until I get caught up on hours, I will be trying to only post my daily updates with minimal contributions elsewhere.  I'm still there with all of you, but I need to step it up on my own challenge for hopefully no more than a few days.

Hey Hey!!!

Wanted to stop in and send everyone AWESOME WEDNESDAY WISHES!!!!!

Got a leg workout shortly and will post deets later.

Keep Rockin those Challenges!!  :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

And remember.........................

WHO THE HELL DO WE THINK WE ARE!?!!!

(This is M's Post:)

My thanks to everyone for the warmhearted welcome, and additional thanks to those who infiltrated Courier6's thread. That was exactly what I had in mind! A truly nice thing to wake up to, both on her side and on mine! I signed up on Spezzy's accountabilibuddies spreadsheet just a few minutes ago, so it's official. I'll be going around everyone's threads today. See you there!

Awesome awesome M! And it is always our pleasure to help a Brigade member! ;)

We'll break your calm, icy exterior yet Elbow, even if I must unleash all the red text and exclamation points! Perhaps in pun format!! For example:

*** Seriously Hero, you are a RIOT!!!!!!  :lol:

So I've gotten myself behind on hours at work trying to keep my billable hours pure on productivity and now I have some kind of respiratory infection that will keep me from swimming today.  I hope to be able to swim again by Friday and then I will try to make up the swim day as soon as possible.  Until I get caught up on hours, I will be trying to only post my daily updates with minimal contributions elsewhere.  I'm still there with all of you, but I need to step it up on my own challenge for hopefully no more than a few days.

Sorry to hear you are sick brader! Hope it gets better soon! Take care of yourself!

And remember, you are a Brigade member and we have your back- No Worries, focus on your challenge and jump in as you can!!  :)

Also, apologies to the brigade for not checking in on everyone's threads as frequently as I would like.  My mailbox is being overrun at this point, seems like every time I log-in now there are 50 new NF messages to read.  Not sure how to moderate.  Working through it... So, sorry in advance for my slowness.

@Hero the video seems blocked by YouTube for copyright issues.  Somewhere else I can go to see it?

Thanks!

See if this works for you!

Also, apologies to the brigade for not checking in on everyone's threads as frequently as I would like.  My mailbox is being overrun at this point, seems like every time I log-in now there are 50 new NF messages to read.  Not sure how to moderate.  Working through it... So, sorry in advance for my slowness.

Also, no worries man! You gotta take care of yourself before you can take care of others haha!

So a quick update.  With some medicine and plenty of fluids I'm feeling a bit better right now.  Not ready to hit the pool yet, but hopefully with some rest tonight, I can get my swim in tomorrow.  That would be the best solution, otherwise probably a 4 swim week next week which could be a bit much right now.

My productivity has been great today since I got to work.  My planned break is almost done so it's about time to kill it for another couple hours before my next "long" break.

I have an idea you guys. Right now we have upwards of 20 members I think? This is a lot to keep track of. Maybe one thing we can do is create mini-teams or pairs, and those are the people we're accountable to and responsible for encouraging on the regular. We should be periodically checking up on everybody, but every day for every person is impossible. So I figured that way, if we make teams or pairs, nobody will go neglected.

Just a thought...

(On an unrelated note: if you are also willing to do me a favor, then please apply your accountability goodness to this girl. If I need accountability, then she needs it doubly so. Plus, I reckon it'd be a boost of motivation if suddenly a bunch of people came in to her thread out of nowhere yelling "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?" and stuff; she wouldn't feel quite so lone ranger-ish. Thanks.)

I somehow knew this was your work, sweetcheeks. :panda: Thank you!

Well, after watching the video of awesomeness (I mean, anime characters with an epic drill shouting out more epicness? :D ) - I just say: I am in. Allow me to introduce myself shortly: I am a future engineer (sooner or later, screw present problems at college), and a nooblet martial artist (9th kup in Taekwondo). And I play the church organ without being religious. I participated the last 6-week-challenge, but it didn't go that good, well, I am sure I know what I am talking about. There isn't much more to say about me ... now ...

WHO DO YOU THINK I AM???!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for building pairs/groups: You have my vote, Buggalo, but we have to ensure that the Brigade does not fall apart into splinter groups, so the periodically checking up on everybody is essential!

I think mini-squads within the brigade would definitely be much more manageable for me personally.  I am happy to be in any group.  You all seem really supportive and making amazing efforts!

I agree on the mini-squads.  Pairs might be a little too small only because if one person gets real busy, they are not there for the other. Or if one isn't particularly good at motivational speaking/typing, such as myself, then at least there are others there to help motivate.  Better for noticing someone who is really killing it on their challenge too so you can report their awesomeness to the Guild Leaders.

purity.png

Ah, an XKCD appreciator! It sure has been a while since I last saw that comic. And it's so true >.<

(As is the converse: "OMG M, what you're doing here is completely irrelevant to the real world!" Well, not irrelevant, but decently far removed.)

Glad to have you on board M! Everything you need to know about the franchise our namesake and attitude comes from can be found in this video.

That definitely explains a lot. Me likey.

Also, mad props on being a mathematician! This is me whenever I encounter math nowadays.

That's what I looked like when the Courier and a fellow engineer were discussing improvements to a blueprint of an engine that she had drawn. Me: "WTF kind of language are you speaking?"

Maybe one thing we can do is create mini-teams or pairs, and those are the people we're accountable to and responsible for encouraging on the regular.

+1 on this.

I'll be going around everyone's threads today. See you there!

Okay, so, no, I won't be doing that today 'cause it's late and I still have a workout to do and by the time I'm done with that it's lights out time. I've already subscribed to a few fellow brigadiers' threads, just haven't read them or posted in them yet. Second thing tomorrow morning (first thing is breakfast and stuff)!

Okay, so we like the mini-squad idea? Groups of 4? Should we assign groups randomly?

Ash, O Fearless Leader, what do you think?

Gonna bounce it off Hero. Let you guys know when I talk to him. Having a crazy day so maybe tomorrow before I know.

My suggestion for now, encourage as you can, but don't drive yourself crazy. Alot of us are just really busy.

We're the Brigade, we ALWAYS got each others back even when the battle gets hectic!

purity.png

Love this!

When I used to teach high school biology, I'd always have a class where a bunch of students were late because the precalculus teacher was long-winded. I'd show no sympathy. "You have to learn the tools. My job is to show you how to use them for something that actually has meaning."

There's something deeply rewarding about seeing a teenager get annoyed when math is insulted.

Just my input on the groups idea - it might be worth working out who is already religiously following who!! I know I follow some of the members more closely then others because they have goals similar to mine, or things that i am interested in. I am sure everyone is the same ...