wideeyed and The Reflecting Pool

wideeyed

I absolutely understand where you're coming from in terms of increasing calorie intake etc. And you're absolutely right, to each their own. I personally have found that increasing my intake is working! 

I really really hope the pool helps with the pain. I can imagine how it would feel, going from being independent to considering using a cane.. but if you need to temporarily, do it? Would hate to hear that you had a fall! xx

And you know what, big deal you're not hitting every target, I think you're doing pretty great to be honest. I can't pretend to know how your pain feels, but to me the fact that you're still TRYING to get fit, shows determination and character. so WELL DONE :)

'The only Limits you have, are the ones You set for yourself'

1    2

Thank you for this thorough explanation!

I share your opinion that every body is different, so everyone must find out for themselves what works and what doesn't. It sure would be much easier if one could just follow plan A or go with theory B, but unfortunately it's not as simple as that.

Regarding your fitness goals: since pain is not something that you can really control, I would actually leave those out of the grades for weeks when it's just not possible to do anything because of pain, but grade them all you want in those weeks when you can do something. Because, as far as I have read it: WHEN you can do something, you WILL. No reason to deprive yourself of those As in good weeks. ;)

I really feel for you - I, too, hate this feeling of helplessness (been there 20 years ago with my hands, hardly able to do anything with them, no strength left whatsoever, almost in constant pain (and no, no painkiller worked)). So I can relate at least to small parts of what you are dealing with.

You are an amazing woman and a great inspiration for me. Keep up the good work! :encouragement:

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Doing what is right for yourself!  I agree with Swampling on the fitness goal.  I think because you are dealing with pain and pain can put us in bad mental places, you shouldn't have to punish yourself if you don't meet that goal.  That's not the point of the challenge.

I left you a note on my thread and I will repost here, too:

wideeyed, on 30 Sept 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

P.S. Kiwi - do you think that I should try acupuncture for my pain issues?  At this point, I am willing to try just about anything except oxycodone :(

Hey wideeyed, I would definitely recommend you do some research about your specific pain and try to see if acupuncture can help.  There is a vast amount of evidence showing that acupunture can help with various pain issues and pain management.  I read a lot of articles on the National Institutes of Health's website for Acupunture:  http://nccam.nih.gov...lth/acupuncture

We used this website to find our doctor:  https://www.acufinder.com/.  They need to have a CMD (Medical Degree in Chinese Medicine) and licensed in the U.S. for acupunture (L. Ac).  Ph.D. is preferred because it shows they continue with research in their specialized field.

Good luck!  Let me know if you have questions or need me to look at anything!  There are a lot of good acupuncturists out there, but there also a lot of bad ones.

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Yay! Here's hoping ETF makes you less nuts!

I really do find that not restricting anything makes it easier to pay attention to what my body wants -- I went to the gym this weekend and then went out to eat and got a sandwich, lobster bisque, and a cookie because I wanted these things and only ate half the cookie because I didn't want any more sugar even though I still kind of wanted more food. And after cutting things out of my diet and not noticing any difference and adding them back in and not noticing any difference? I'm just going to eat reasonable amounts of whatever I want and not worry about it. It's great. I have friends who have dietary restrictions due to not being able to digest various things and it's so much easier to accommodate those when I'm only sort of vaguely paying attention to getting a reasonable amount of protein in but not worrying about anything else.

Day 15

ETF - Good 1,952

MTB - Not yet.  Thought about trying to walk, then legs went wonky while making dinner.

Tracking - Yes. 

Nothing on the life goal stuff today

Day 16

ETF - Good 1,962

MTB - I was going to walk tonight - didn't happen.  This means that tomorrow, I'm walking.  Leg muscles are sore but not HURTING, and joints are sore but mobile, hip has not given out today.  I've missed it.  I think I need to take my 8 year old without the dogs and just talk to him for the whole way.  He is feeling very sad and lonely.  Some "just with mama time" might help.

Tracking - Yes.  My weight has been on an overall downward trend - but SLOW (which is good). 

Life goal - got my mammogram done today.  Perfect way to start October.  Will now never be able to forget to get it done, since it will be due during BCA month :)

Still need to plan better for the food.  I am winding up eating spoonfuls of nut butter at the end of the day to hit goal.  Need to start adding 50% to portions at breakfast and lunch and dinner instead :) 

Strangest thing ever - I cannot make it through the day without my big bowl of Fage 2% Greek yogurt with thawed blueberries, a little stevia, and shelled hemp seeds.  I may be ETF, but it's weird how I am craving things like the yogurt and not things like donuts.  My diet is still remarkably clean most days, which is one of the reasons it's hard to get the calories in :)

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Yeah,  mama time is always good. ;)

Good going on those goals! And a downward trend is definitely good. (nodding)

Hope Wednesday is awesome!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I love the one on one time with the shorties.... I'm glad you are having less pain. ... it occurred to me this morning when is the last time you had complete blood work (electrolyte, all the vit esp d, minerals, sed rate, uric acid) there are so many deficiencies which have chronic pain as a symptom. ... some of which are easy fixes

Sent with tapatalk... if this post seems brief or full of misspelled words it's because my phone and autocorrect are actively plotting against me

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I love the one on one time with the shorties.... I'm glad you are having less pain. ... it occurred to me this morning when is the last time you had complete blood work (electrolyte, all the vit esp d, minerals, sed rate, uric acid) there are so many deficiencies which have chronic pain as a symptom. ... some of which are easy fixes Sent with tapatalk... if this post seems brief or full of misspelled words it's because my phone and autocorrect are actively plotting against me

That was the point of the life challenge.  Last full blood work up was in 2009?  Anyway, just got stuck last week :)

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Strangest thing ever - I cannot make it through the day without my big bowl of Fage 2% Greek yogurt with thawed blueberries, a little stevia, and shelled hemp seeds.  I may be ETF, but it's weird how I am craving things like the yogurt and not things like donuts.  My diet is still remarkably clean most days, which is one of the reasons it's hard to get the calories in :)

I love Fage with fruit and nuts. Or honey and nuts. Using cottage cheese instead isn't quite as good but it's a lot cheaper.

I sometimes crave sugar but a lot of sweet things just aren't appealing anymore.

I also have cravings for a big kale salad sometimes, so I figure my body knows what it's doing.

Do you like avocado?  I think they make pretty good breakfast food and pack with lots good calories.  

Hope they figure out what's causing the pain and that you feel less/no pain really soon!  Rawr!

Good luck!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Do you like avocado?  I think they make pretty good breakfast food and pack with lots good calories.  

Hope they figure out what's causing the pain and that you feel less/no pain really soon!  Rawr!

Good luck!

this... I use them in sweet dishes (I make ABC pudding avo banana and coco) and in salsa... and in all kinds of everything!

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Good luck!

I put avocado in my green smoothie every day :) I will figure it out. This morning I added bacon to the eggs. I had a mid morning snack. My 406 calorie green smoothie for lunch. I will eat more steak for dinner. It just seems so backwards ;)

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

More steak for dinner is awesome.Nomms-pus full of all sorts of good for you stuffs.Glad to hear the pain is getting less, hoping that continues. Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts on your eating habits. I think it is very helpful to read about people's journey and how they find the path to good health. Interesting thought on how we all tend to undereat.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Drumroll please: 

The first digit on the scale readout today was NOT a 2. 

I repeat:  NOT A 2.

I am in Onederland, folks.  At least for today ;)

On 2,000 calories a day and over a week of NO exercise.  Go figure. 

I miss my walking, though.

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Drumroll please: 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this person really wants to delete their account but can't because it's not allowed.

Holy hot sauce batman.... first of many 1's I'm sure

Sent with tapatalk... if this post seems brief or full of misspelled words it's because my phone and autocorrect are actively plotting against me

Spoiler

Drumroll please: 

Yesss!!!!!!! Wooooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done!!!! :):):)

1    2

Woot Woot for wideeyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is absolutely AWESOMENESS!!

Joining swampling in a happy Dance!!!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Congrats my friend! :pride:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

OK, so I went away for the weekend to Monterey.  No sightseeing - just a group of women from diverse places getting together to spend quality time together.  I swear we didn't man bash.  I didn't realize how badly I needed a break from being a wife and mother.  I need to do it a little more regularly - even if it is just a day trip.  Good for the soul.

For this week, I managed to ETF six out of seven days (last night I was too tired to have another meal - 12 hours of driving in two days will do that), Still no walking, BUT I am feeling totally healthy muscle/jointwise today, so I am resuming.  Maybe sitting in the car while driving 12 hours was helpful for resting muscles :)  Tracked all weekend even though I ate a lot of stuff I normally wouldn't have, like pizza.  I used it almost like a challenge for carbs/gluten.  No horrible reaction, no migraine, no bloating stomach issues.  After the challenge is over, I'm going to probably go off LC for a bit and see if it makes a difference for my health.  If not, I'm going to probably ditch it.  It's a pain :)  Life - All is good, appts made were kept.  Mammogram was done and results were normal.  Happy boob month!

Good luck on week 4 everyone!

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Drumroll please: 

That is spectacular. Way to go!

OK, so I went away for the weekend to Monterey.  No sightseeing - just a group of women from diverse places getting together to spend quality time together.  I swear we didn't man bash.  I didn't realize how badly I needed a break from being a wife and mother.  I need to do it a little more regularly - even if it is just a day trip.  Good for the soul.

:)  Life - All is good, appts made were kept.  Mammogram was done and results were normal.  Happy boob month!

Good luck on week 4 everyone!

I totally get having a break from being those roles. 'Me' time is always a good thing, especially when its so rarely taken! Defo good for the soul.

Glad to hear mammogram was clear, my mum just had one too then had to go for a second screening, all clear though! Phew.

Keep smiling :) and keep going! x

1    2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines