Star Gazer Starts Over

StarGazer

Alright, so I've only attempted one other challenge and that I never actually completed. So while I stayed true to my goals thoughout most of the challenge, I am not counting it as successful because I never completed that final week. Life got too lifey and I was off of NF for a while.

I've been busy. Things have been happening. I've faced much I've not wanted to recently, been brought down by it all, and I crave a fresh start. I am setting my goals this challenge to pull through and find myself in a better place at the end of this 6 weeks. I will build my strength through bodyweight training. I will relieve myself of that which is holding me down.

I will start over.

MAIN QUEST:

Since I'm struggling with long term goals at the moment, my quest (unless I come up with something more long-term during the challenge) is to consistently stick with the Angry Birds (AB) workout for the full 6 weeks of the challenge. My breakout goals will be more milestones I am aiming to achieve within the AB workout. Particular areas that I am seeking growth in. The workouts themselves will be logged in my battle log in detail. Here I will comment specifically on the progress made toward these specific goals.

Goal 1: Push-ups. Currently in the AB workout push-ups section, I just achieved 2 stars on level 1. For level 1 I am doing incline push-ups (using my kitchen counter). For this challenge, I want to complete level 1 with three stars. Stretch goal: complete 10 proper, on the floor push-ups.

Goal 2: Pull ups. Currently on the back exercises I am on level 2 doing inverted rows using my dining table. I've just achieved 1 star (finally completed a total of 20 between 4 sets!). In this 6 weeks, I want to graduate to level 3. I know I will be at level 3 for a while when I get there since that will mean trying to do actual pull ups. So I just want to get there.

Goal 3: Timing. I need to do better at getting to bed at a consistent time so that I can get up at a more consistent time. I am fighting lack of daylight since the sun does not rise for an hour after my alarm goes off, but I need to be more consistent about actually getting up when it goes off, workout day or not. If I can make this a better habit, I will not only have more time to have more calm mornings on non workout days, but I will have more time to stretch and shower before getting ready for work on workout mornings. Which will certainly be good for both my soreness and my not running late for work.

LIFE QUEST:

Lighten the load. As much as I love him, in some ways I am too much like my father. The most prominent characteristic I am thinking of right now that is holding me back is his tendency to keep everything. "You never know when it might come in handy." Famous last words. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in hoarder territory. But I do have a lot of "stuff" that I don't need or use. Or even remember that I have because it has been in a box under the bed or in the closet for a few years. Like I don't need to keep the box from my broken iron. I don't need to keep my physics tests from 10 years ago. And I certainly don't need to keep my old frisbee bag that is broken.

To combat this? Each week of this challenge I need to face either 1 box from under the bed or 1 shelf in the closet. Things are to get organized so that I know what I am keeping and everything else either goes in trash, recycling, or a donation box. Purging my way through this weight will help lighten the load.

At the end of this challenge, I want to have built better habits, gotten stronger, and lightened my load so that I feel fresh and ready to move forward.

My motivation?

(written on the white board next to my desk)

"Be stronger. Be happier with MYSELF and WHO I AM so I can MOVE ON."

I'm ready for a change. Let's DO THIS.

I prefer when life is lifetastic instead of lifey. Lifey is just way too much hassle.

I've been playing a lot of Ultimate all summer. Though I'm not sure I would say that it's cooling down a little. Sure in the middle of July/August only getting up to 92 actually feels like a break in the heat. But it's still pretty miserable. It will be SO much more manageable come October. I hope. Maybe.

The weather here is pretty dumb sometimes.

love the "tackle one box/shelf" i need to do this, too.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

You!  I wasn't sure you'd be doing a challenge this time around.  I like all of this.  And I have been combating that way of being like Dad as well.  I tossed out so much when I moved but still have so much crap that I haven't looked at in years, just moving the boxes from apartment to apartment.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

You!  I wasn't sure you'd be doing a challenge this time around.  I like all of this.  And I have been combating that way of being like Dad as well.  I tossed out so much when I moved but still have so much crap that I haven't looked at in years, just moving the boxes from apartment to apartment.

I wasn't sure I was going to do a challenge either. In fact I was planning not to. But yesterday I just felt way too driven to make a change, so I couldn't not do it.

I think it's worse that I haven't been moving and have been in just one place for 4 years. I've not needed to see those boxes at all as they hide in the depths under the bed. They are sneaky like that. Pretty sure I'll find some of the cat's toy mice in between the boxes as I pull them out. I have NO idea where most of them have gone...

love the "tackle one box/shelf" i need to do this, too.

Yeah, I suspect this could be beneficial to a lot of people. I like to think that just one per week is still in the category of way manageable so that I don't overdo it in one Saturday and burn out my ability to face any more for weeks.

So less than strong start to this challenge. Due to remaining sleep deprivation, getting up when my alarm went off was total fail. Like fail enough that there wasn't only not time for stretching and a shower, but there wasn't time to get the workout in either. Thankfully my Monday evenings aren't crazy busy (no standing plans) so I was able to punch it in this evening. Making progress in (most) of the areas.

No progress on the Life Quest today. I'm hoping that I can tackle this week's task between tomorrow evening and Thursday evening since they are not currently occupied with anything. We shall see.

Well you got the workout in, so that's good. I don't think I've woken up to my alarm more than once since I moved 6 weeks ago. Although I do have to say that I ditched a lot of stuff in the move, to the point where I'm not concerned about having too much random crap I don't use (or know about, in some instances) for the first time in a while.

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

Well I didn't exactly get up when the alarm went off, but I got up around when the second (15 minutes later) alarm should have gone off. Had I not set it later Monday when I was trying to make up some sleep but still make sure I got up in time for work. I blame the damn cats as to why I didn't get up with the first one. I had no need to be awake at 5am while they spazzed out attacking who knows what. Ugh.

But I got up closer to on time. And I did my workout. Still improving, albeit slowly in everything except for squats. I think Goals 1 & 2 should be achievable based on my current progress. I'm just concerned that I may stall out, so I'm going to have to keep pushing myself to avoid this.

No work on tackling a box/shelf yesterday. Though I did wash dishes and clean the litterbox. So there's that. There was progress toward cleaner. I'm hoping it will work like that. If I procrastinate on the boxes/shelves it is likely to be by doing something else productive. So it isn't a total loss. Should still be able to make it happen once per week, though.

Ultimate tonight! (work permitting... left late the past couple nights that would have affected my getting there with enough time to actually play...)

Well you got the workout in, so that's good. I don't think I've woken up to my alarm more than once since I moved 6 weeks ago. Although I do have to say that I ditched a lot of stuff in the move, to the point where I'm not concerned about having too much random crap I don't use (or know about, in some instances) for the first time in a while.

I think this is part of the reason that I really want to move someplace else. Unfortunately I own a condo here, so it's not as simple as getting a new apartment. And if I'm leaving the condo, I'm not sure I want to stay in this city, so that opens up a much larger can of worms.

Like where do I want to go (someplace that isn't flat and has proper seasons) and what do I want to do (not teach). Not exactly small questions.

Yay getting up and working out!  Even if it's not easy.

And curse those "not small" questions.

It is DEFINITELY not easy. I rise best when the sun is rising/has risen. Whereas I am almost done with my workout by the time the sky has properly lightened. If I got up when I was supposed to and started on time, I would have finished before the sun rose.

Dumb.

Mini-update:

No ultimate last night (not enough people) and now I'm concerned about whether I'll get to play Friday, Saturday, or Sunday - we're expecting a good bit of rain and thunderstorms which would be pretty likely to interrupt that. Not cool. Well kind of cool, we're expecting cooler temperatures (though still high enough to qualify as summer in most normal places). But not fun. I need that outlet! I need to play!

On a more positive note, I'm clearly getting better/more sleep and getting back on my feet as far as that is concerned. It was only 10 minutes after my alarm went off that I got up this morning. Instead of an hour afterward like Monday. It was even before the second one started going off! I got my laundry (that has been there for a week and a half) put away, had a nice leisurely breakfast. It was quite pleasant.

Then I had to come to work. Much less pleasant. But this morning thing will be nice. Even if the sun wasn't up yet and the moon was still brilliantly glowing off to the west over Reliant Stadium. There was something peaceful about that time. I need peaceful.

I think this is part of the reason that I really want to move someplace else. Unfortunately I own a condo here, so it's not as simple as getting a new apartment. And if I'm leaving the condo, I'm not sure I want to stay in this city, so that opens up a much larger can of worms.

Like where do I want to go (someplace that isn't flat and has proper seasons) and what do I want to do (not teach). Not exactly small questions.

I have those same questions. But I A) don't own any property, B) am enough of a procrastinator and C) have a good enough job to not have moved when my last lease ended, which left me basically homeless for a week. But had I been less of B, there probably would have been a long-distance move and a new job.

It is DEFINITELY not easy. I rise best when the sun is rising/has risen.

I feel your pain: I hate waking up before the sun. 

Mini-update:

No ultimate last night (not enough people) and now I'm concerned about whether I'll get to play Friday, Saturday, or Sunday - we're expecting a good bit of rain and thunderstorms which would be pretty likely to interrupt that. Not cool. Well kind of cool, we're expecting cooler temperatures (though still high enough to qualify as summer in most normal places). But not fun. I need that outlet! I need to play!

On a more positive note, I'm clearly getting better/more sleep and getting back on my feet as far as that is concerned. It was only 10 minutes after my alarm went off that I got up this morning. Instead of an hour afterward like Monday. It was even before the second one started going off! I got my laundry (that has been there for a week and a half) put away, had a nice leisurely breakfast. It was quite pleasant.

Then I had to come to work. Much less pleasant. But this morning thing will be nice. Even if the sun wasn't up yet and the moon was still brilliantly glowing off to the west over Reliant Stadium. There was something peaceful about that time. I need peaceful.

Good job getting sleep. Too bad about Ultimate, hopefully you'll get to play this weekend.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

I have those same questions. But I A) don't own any property, B) am enough of a procrastinator and C) have a good enough job to not have moved when my last lease ended, which left me basically homeless for a week. But had I been less of B, there probably would have been a long-distance move and a new job.

I feel your pain: I hate waking up before the sun. 

Good job getting sleep. Too bad about Ultimate, hopefully you'll get to play this weekend.

Yeah, I bought the condo when I figured I would be here for at least another 5 years (I was 1 year into a graduate school program where I would be working toward my Masters, then Ph.D. when I bought it). Unfortunately then I quite school a year later because it was just not the right fit for me and I was miserable. But kind of tied here for a bit. Now I've got a decent job and they think I'm doing a good job at it. It's not what I want to do forever and I know I'll get sick of it. But it pays the bills while I work on the much bigger question of what the heck do I want to do with my life.

Unfortunately we're looking at the likelihood of a crapton of rain over the next few days. I'm just hoping it ends early enough Sunday and the field isn't a swamp so we can play then. Otherwise withdrawl will start to set in and all bets are off.

Next week should be a solid week for improvements in my AB workouts. Today I was SO CLOSE to come:

Squats: I was just 3 stinking squats shy of leveling up. 3! I tried so hard to do more in sets 1 and 2, but my legs were to the point where I was standing there, brain telling my body to go, do to one more. And there was no movement whatsoever. My legs had clearly decided that I was done with those sets since they gave up on listening to me.

Push ups: I was able to crank out 20 inclines in set 1. That is half of those needed for the level up and led to me being 4 shy of doing so. So clearly the "complete level 1" aspect of my goal was a wicked underestimation of where I could be. So I am going to be pushing for that stretch goal of 10 proper push ups.

Back: I am still stuck on 1 star here and improvement has been slow-going. Today I was able to get 1 more in each of the first 2 sets (first improvement in those since last week) and I was all excited "Maybe I'll get to 2 stars today! How many more would I need? I did 7, then 6, so that puts me at 13... I'd need another 7."

439.gif

Yeah that had no hope of happening in set 3 when I had just pulled my first 7 in set 1 when I was freshest.

Planks: I got to 1 minute on set 1! Getting close here as well.

Next week, I am going to ROCK this.

I didn't do as well as I should have with the getting up thing. I blame the darkness and the rain, the combination of which says "you should just stay all snuggled up in bed!" To the point where I considered snoozing a little longer and doing the workout tonight since there is about zero chance that it won't be raining and raining and raining at ultimate time. And too many people won't show up to play in the rain, no matter how fun it is.

Oh and apparently I've not been wearing my Vibrams near as much as I usually do since it's been so freaking hot here. Wednesday in the absence of a game I was all "Well I really feel like I need to do something" and so I went for a run around the block. In my Vibrams. Barely over a mile at a sluggish (though not surprising) pace of about 9 min/mile. I even made sure to stretch well afterward. But clearly my calves didn't care because they hate me.

Oh and still no progress on a box or shelf. That will be tomorrow. And I will power through it. For real. It will be awesome.

I can't wait to see how next week will be! Very nice first week already :)

Thanks!

I was sadly rained out from playing ultimate Friday and Saturday, but I am gearing up to play this evening! The rain stopped yesterday, the heat has broken (as in it is only supposed to be in the 80s today instead of the 90s we had been dealing with before this bout of rain), and the sun is out. Should be a good game!

I've still got to do something about the stuff that has been spread about my floor, but I've actually gone through 3 boxes from under the bed this weekend (had myself a Firefly marathon yesterday, figured I should be productive as well). Those 3 boxes have thus far been consolidated down to 1.5. Though most of that 0.5 will be re-assessed because it's got paperwork I should keep (bills, bank statements, medical history, etc.) but that needs to be sorted and put into my paperwork file folder thingie. Sorting to that extent was not on my to-do list yesterday, not when I was being so successful with what I was already doing. Getting bogged down with the nitty-gritty would have thrown a wrench in the whole works. But I have those papers separate from everything else, so when I am ready to do so I don't have to hunt them down. So there's that.

Ultimate tonight. AB tomorrow morning. And I'm expecting some leveling up to happen (or at least improving the number of stars achieved!). This is going to happen.

Welcome to Week 2!

Playing Ultimate last night felt AWESOME. Clearly it had been too long (a whole week) or maybe the not giving 100% on the field recently was coming back to bite me in the ass. Literally. By halfway through playing, my butt started to feel sore from all of the sudden direction changes when cutting. Felt so good to be playing again. Not to mention that the weather was so much more friendly. No mid to high 90s and sun sapping your energy. Yesterday was only in the 80s and the sun was hidden behind clouds instead of beating us up. What a welcome respite from the normal heat around here. So glad we're finally coming into "fall" as I've been waiting for this since June.

Unfortunately, that cooler weather meant I wasn't sweating bullets out there, so I wasn't feeling as thirsty as I normally do. So I failed at hydration during and after the game as noted by waking at 4:45 this morning with a wicked headache. Fail, StarGazer. Fail. I managed to get a bit more sleep then drag my butt out of bed 10 minutes after my alarm. And despite the headache and the fact that it was starting to make me feel sick to my stomach (I hate dehydration headaches), I powered through my AB workout.

Oh and by powered through I mean I leveled up in 3/4 categories! I was concerned that feeling like crap would hold me back, but I won in most of those regards. I say most because the other category (Back) not only didn't level up, not only didn't improve in the total number, but slipped in terms of how many I was able to complete in the first set (though the tail end went up to compensate).

But 3 LEVEL UPS! Wednesday is going to kick my butt.

Rest assured, I've consumed a crapton of water this morning and am feeling much better having chowed down on some breakfast. I've just got to re-learn taking care of hydration with this more pleasant weather. But I've got this.

had myself a Firefly marathon yesterday, figured I should be productive as well

Whoa, hold on. Firefly marathons don't count as being productive?

3 LEVEL UPS!

Woo! Good job! :) 

If you can't break the plateau on the back exercises, I would recommend doing deload. Just do a set amount that you can do (5 or 6) in every round for a couple of workouts to give yourself a bit of rest. It'll also help with your endurance.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

Whoa, hold on. Firefly marathons don't count as being productive?

Woo! Good job! :)

If you can't break the plateau on the back exercises, I would recommend doing deload. Just do a set amount that you can do (5 or 6) in every round for a couple of workouts to give yourself a bit of rest. It'll also help with your endurance.

Ok, so Firefly marathons are their own sort of awesome productivity. However unless I am exhausted, not feeling well, or I have someone watching with me, I can't just sit and watch something. I get antsy and need to multitask. This doesn't mean it's got to be something terribly involved, but even something like cooking dinner, washing dishes, putsing around the internet, or folding laundry, I need to be doing something. If I have company that takes the need away. But this was a solo marathon.

If I can't move forward on the back exercises this week, I think I'll give that a go next week to take it easier and give it a bit of a break. I think I would be more frustrated with it if I weren't making progress with everything else. Some things are just slower than others, I suppose.

No update yet on today's progress. Since I did NOT accomplish the get up in the morning part of my goals. To the extent where tonight I have both the AB workout and ultimate (if I am able to get off work in time to play). Basically this morning (and the past few days) I've been feeling really run down despite getting what should be enough sleep (8ish hrs). I'm trying to think where this may be coming from, but in the meantime I am going to attempt to combat it by getting to bed a little earlier and hoping that what I am apparently lacking in quality I can make up for in quantity until I feel like I'm back on my feet.

Feeling blah is dumb. I just hope it's not my body tiring itself out trying to not get sick or something. I don't have time to be sick right now.

Proper update tonight or tomorrow morning with hopefully something good to say about the AB workout.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines