Return of the Tabris: Chapter 3

Tabris

Wow I missed NF... Clearly defined goals and a definite timeline - I wish all aspects of my life worked like that :abnormal: I left one challenge ago (I think it was one) because being constantly online was doing a number on me, but I think I'm ready to be back.

I learned three very important things during my time away:

- I do better when I do have a challenge than when I don't, even if I don't do as well as I'd like on my goals.

- I really like lifting weights. This and some body weight exercises are basically the only things that survived my no-challenge limbo. Everything else I tried as exercise fell away, but I like feeling strong  and I like feeling like my whole body is achy and rubbery after a workout. I even bought myself proper dumbbells. Had a nice bonding moment choosing them with my dad, even :D

- I am a really terrible eater. Whatever good I do to myself with exercise I then destroy with what I eat.

So, that in mind I devised my goals for this challenge.

1. Rebel Fitness Guide, here I come! Yes, I finally bought the thing, mainly because NF is awesome and I wanted to support Steve. But as long as it's there I decided to try it, and it turns out a straight-up linear workout is way easier for me to do than a circuit workout. I always had to talk myself into completing full 3 circuits when I did Beginner's Body Weight Workout, and each repetition was harder than the last, it was excruciating to do the full 3. Now I just go once straight through and feel accomplished.

I'm starting with Level 1 but with intention of transitioning to Level 2 after Week 3 of the challenge; Level 1 feels like it will stop being muscle-shakingly challenging very soon...

Grading: percent of workouts complete (18 being 100%)

2. Eat Real Food. This is a goal to have 2 real meals (meaning stuff that requires at least some preparation) a day. When I'm on straight calorie intake limit I end up eating completely shitty stuff, and as long as you're already eating completely shitty stuff it's so easy to 'forget' to count an extra slice of pizza or 2 extra cookies towards the day's calories... So during those 6 weeks at least 2 meals a day need to be something I prepare myself, and sandwiches don't count :D

Grading: 56-50 days: CON +3

49-40 days: CON +2

39-20 days: CON +1

3. Incorporate fasting. You can't eat junk when you don't eat at all. I did okay with fasting in the past but it never held out as a habit because I think I metaphorically bit off more than I could chew. So for now I'm doing only one day of fasting a week - Sunday.

Grading: 6 days: full points

5 days: CON+2 WIS+1

4 days: CON+1

4. Get used to speaking to new people. I'm going to World Fantasy Convention at the end of October so I need to start meeting and speaking to new people in social situations to not be completely tongue-tied during that. So, every week I need to attend at least 1 social event (or meet up with at least 1 new person from the Internet) to get my Charisma up sufficiently.

Grading: +0.5 points/event or meetup

By the way, bonus realization-thing: I never did the proper leveling up in my previous challenges. So I'm wiping myself to my original stats (mainly level, because the stats are unchanged since the first time I thought them up) and starting anew with this challenge.

Always felt like autumn was a time of great new beginnings... Let's hope it's true in this case :)

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:1 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:2

Battle Logs

Have faith, you're not a moron. - John Brown

Well, welcome back then. It's good to see you up and moving around here again. I was wondering what your con plans were, did you get the novel done?

Fasting once per week is a cinch. You'll have that down pat in no time.

And yes to too many challenges. I know what you mean there. It's frustrating, wanting to do so much and figuring out the limits of just what you can do. It's a tricky thing. Honestly, I kind of wonder if I've just done that to myself this challenge too.

Should be exciting. Can't wait to see what you do!

Hey, and welcome back!

When you do your fasting, how does it work?  Like fasting for a calendar day?  Or skip dinner one night and not eat until dinner the next night?

I tend to do the 8 hour eating window each day, myself, because it works better with my crappy work schedule, but I've thought about trying fasting the way you do it just to mix things up every once in awhile.

Emptyknight - Level 4 Human Adventurer
Str 9 | Dex 5.75 | Sta 5.25 | Con 9.25 | Wis 10.75 | Cha 7.5
Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

Wait, for the fasting thing, are you trying IF on sunday, or are you fasting ALL of sunday?

Also, food really does cancel out all the good.  It's a real shame.  I think most people feel a quick jog somehow must 'erase' a doughnut, but it's not even close.  It's better to just make better choices.

did you get the novel done?

Mwahaha, you're a writer too, you know the novel is never "done" :D  I'm on the third rewrite now... Decided that it's going to be the last one, then it's off to the next project for me. I'm thinking military science fiction comedy... :D

I'm actually going to be wrapping up this challenge Sunday and getting on a plane to London the next Monday, so y'all will have the exquisite pleasure of seeing me fall apart into gibbering nervous mess before the con :)

As for fasting, when I started it I was stupid and did 2 times a week from the start. Obviously that was hard to get used to and it sort of disappeared with time >_< Going to do it properly this time...

When you do your fasting, how does it work?

I eat breakfast and then don't eat until the same time the next day. I find it works better for me with breakfast because I usually don't eat a big breakfast, so there's less danger of overeating because you think you're "sooo hungry" after 24 hours of not eating. You actually aren't, not really, but it takes a while to convince yourself of that :)

Wait, for the fasting thing, are you trying IF on sunday, or are you fasting ALL of sunday?

If IF means intermittent fasting, then yes, I'm doing that:) I want to try fasting for longer than 24 hours but this challenge is for habit-making, so I'm going to stick with what I know.

It's better to just make better choices.

You are, sadly, right -_-

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Battle Logs

As for fasting, when I started it I was stupid and did 2 times a week from the start. Obviously that was hard to get used to and it sort of disappeared with time >_< Going to do it properly this time...

For most things it's much easier to ease in, learn your way around.  Seems like you are definitely being smart about your goals!

Emptyknight - Level 4 Human Adventurer
Str 9 | Dex 5.75 | Sta 5.25 | Con 9.25 | Wis 10.75 | Cha 7.5
Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

Two days down and so far I'm doing okay. Today I made mac and cheese for dinner, but it was home-cooked so it still counted :D Also, I met with a new person on Monday (we watched Cloud Atlas - if anyone missed it I recommend it heartily) and I did my NF Fitness guide workout today. I don't think I should post the workout here, but I really enjoyed my new dumbbells during it. I used to only have a 5-litre water bottle as a weight so I was limited to 5 kg when I started out. It's gratifying to do the same exercise with 10 kg now.

So results so far:

Goal 1: 1/18

Goal 2: 2/56

Goal 3: Sunday is not here yet, so 0/6

Goal 4: 1/6

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Battle Logs

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines