gettin' fit this fall

jenlady

Hi everyone! This is my 2nd ish challenge.

I am a full time student and work during the weekends. I like going to music shows, hanging with friends, being in nature, and so on :] I'm 5'2 and 120 pounds about. I've never been 115, I'd love to be there but I don't think its possible aha

Main Quest - where do you want to be in a few months?

-I want to wake up with energy like I have in the summer!

I tend to get so draggy in the cooler weather. I think the hot yoga will help me with this.

Three incredibly specific goals:

1. Limit myself to two drinks on the weekends, an an occasional glass of wine during the week

2. Go to bed before 11.00 p.m during the school day

3. Try to limit my sugar to 25 grams a day- or 6 teaspoons

1. Life Side Quest: Read 10 pages of my school books a day. Just 10! If I do that every day I'll be caught up in no time.
  2. Fitness Side Quest: By the end of the month, I want to be able to do a bridge and a crow pose with ease. 

Motivation Declaration:

My sign is on the side of my wall, its really lame so im not going to upload it :tongue:

I will post a "before" picture tomorrow!

Good goals!  Especially the sugar one.  If I may offer a suggestion, I'd get a little more specific on the alcohol goal.  What is an occasional glass of wine during the week?  No more than one a day, or three a week?  If you don't spell it out, it becomes easier to justify "just one more" and then regret it the next day.

Rooting for you!

Emptyknight - Level 4 Human Adventurer
Str 9 | Dex 5.75 | Sta 5.25 | Con 9.25 | Wis 10.75 | Cha 7.5
Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

Thank you! Thanks for the input- the thing is, I'm not sure how much I should drink or how reasonable it is to drink 1, 2, or 3. I recently turned 21 (I'm not new to drinking tho..) and I just got a job at a bar where they basically give me free drinks all the time. It's hard to pass it up when it's all free too.

So I guess during the week I really think one glass of wine is reasonable a night max but I'm not sure about the weekends when I'm working.

Hot yoga is the bomb, anyone who is uncomfortable with it just needs to drink lots of waterrrrr

You've just got to find your own balance I guess.  Maybe look at your results after two weeks and then choose a more specific goal.  I found I can't really drink at all if I want to lose a lot of weight, but you are going for energy and health so you probably have a lot more flexibility than me.

Glad you are enjoying the hot yoga!

Highest Wt 301lbs - Challenge Start 270 lbs - Current 260 lbs | Highest BF% 38 - Current% 33
My Current Challenge

Awesome goals !!!!!

Yes hot yoga goes with cold water ;)

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

I'm afraid I'm not doing too well, well first its 11:48 p.m and i'm writing this post, second of all i just had two pieces of pizza AFTER my healthy dinner. fail. only gotta push forward- tomorrow i'm doing hot yoga in the morning to start my day, then hopefully resting more because i have a slight cold. i'm anxious about working a lot the next two weeks for the event we have going on at my work, plus school plus trying to exercise enough. 

I definitely want to lose weight, but its hard to say how much, because i'm very lean and muscular naturally. its hard to explain, its more like i want a different shaped body, that looks skinnier and toned, but instead i look kind of thick and stocky but i dont know how to change that. i hate running, anything else is fair game. i know running isn't the only answer, but all my friends tell me i should run more and ill get the results im looking for. i used to be bulimic and i have had bad body issues in the past, and i still do have them. i guess i need to set more emotional goals, but its easier said than done..

That's what they call body recomposition I guess.  Lots of ways to do that, but easiest way is to eat clean and get your workouts in.  I've never done hot yoga, so I don't know how intense it is, but lots of people have success with yoga and building strength and losing excess fat.  Or add in some body weight workouts.  If you are doing strength training, at least when you over eat you are helping to build your muscles a little.

My Current Challenge

Ah those evil late night snack binges!  They are like the poisoned apple in Snow White (or is that Sleeping Beauty? I'm getting my Disney princesses mixed up).  The only thing that helps me stop is to never start.  Except that doesn't always work either :)

My Current Challenge

dark chocolate.  Just make the switch right now.  regular milk chocolate is way too sweet and your body wants more and more.  Dark chocolate has a bitterness to it, which means if you eat 5 pieces in a row, it's going to taste gross.  It has a natural portion control.  If you can get past 5 pieces, up the % of the chocolate. 

Hershey's special dark is around 45%, which seems to be the lowest.

Lindt dark chocolate balls are at 60%, which is what I would do.

then check out the natural section of the supermarket for 65-90%.  I found 72% to be gross after 1 piece, so that wouldn't work for me.  I know that 60-65% is the right spot.  I can eat some, but more than that gets bitter in my mouth.

Also, what late-night food do you binge on?  would it be easier to just not have it in the house so your only option would be the dark chocolate?  Also, I used to portion out little bags of trail mix like cashews, raisins, and bananas chips.  Maybe you could go that route so if you feel that mentality of 'late night snacking' you can just grab a bag and not feel guilty.

thats a really good idea

last night my friend and i went to the bar, and she drank and i didnt. then we went to mcdonalds because it was like 2 a.m and i didn't order anything and she ordered a bunch of food. and then ended up leaving over almost a whole burger and then i ate it -_- grooooooooosssss

they're good, yesterday i ate a weed brownie and almost called 911- i'm good with smoking/drinking for a while, maybe this thursday i'm going to a show i'll drink a bit, but for right now i'm doing good, still semi binging out on too fattening foods but i haven't had time to make it to the store. when i do im making little grab bags for snacks so i don't gorge. i have bellydancing tryouts tonight, wish me luck

i think i need to fine tune my goals but i don't really know how to. i'm doing well, but i really want to lose some fat off my bones. i read an article saying a good way is to eat 100 or less carbs, but i have trouble counting all my carbs (i have to log everything i eat? ughhh sounds annoying does anyone have time for that?)

however today I got one of my goals!! I did a bridge :)

Just had a quick read through your challenge.

I think you should track your food on myfitnesspal it's a free app and you can watch your carb intake. The app makes it fairly quick just do it on your phone as you eat.

Also tracking it on your phone as you eat, means you will eat slower and feel more full win win.

I think for your main goal, many people feel down in winter because they lack vitamin D that they had in the summer. Try supplementing vitamin D or get like a UVB lamp, I hear they are great for mood enhancement during winter.

I don't have a lamp but I do supplement with 10,000IU + 1,000IU in my multi-vitamin.

Also I think you should try hitting it hard in the gym and eat at a calorie deficit. Don't worry about people saying you should run. Lift weights and eat at a deficit, and your body will look great, focus on Squat, deadlift and bench press. Then add some other things in as you see fit, like I get my sister to do calve raises when she's at the gym with me because she always wears high heels.

Race: Hobbit

Class: Warrior

Level: 3

STR: 12 DEX: 3 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Check out my first challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38158-lawrences-super-adventure/

Thanks, I think you're right, running really isn't for me. The problem is, I really like doing yoga but I can't afford and gym membership and a yoga membership. I guess I could get some weights and just do the lifting and stuff at home

and as for myfitnesspal, i didn't think about using it just for the carbs and sugar aspect..thanks :)

dark chocolate.  Just make the switch right now.  regular milk chocolate is way too sweet and your body wants more and more.  Dark chocolate has a bitterness to it, which means if you eat 5 pieces in a row, it's going to taste gross.  It has a natural portion control.  If you can get past 5 pieces, up the % of the chocolate. 

Hershey's special dark is around 45%, which seems to be the lowest.

Lindt dark chocolate balls are at 60%, which is what I would do.

then check out the natural section of the supermarket for 65-90%.  I found 72% to be gross after 1 piece, so that wouldn't work for me.  I know that 60-65% is the right spot.  I can eat some, but more than that gets bitter in my mouth.

Also, what late-night food do you binge on?  would it be easier to just not have it in the house so your only option would be the dark chocolate?  Also, I used to portion out little bags of trail mix like cashews, raisins, and bananas chips.  Maybe you could go that route so if you feel that mentality of 'late night snacking' you can just grab a bag and not feel guilty.

ok i must *really* like dark chocolate cos i ate a whole slab of 85% Lindt in one siting yesterday and i could've done with more.  LOL. Funny thing is i don't even like chocolate :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

haha weird. I'm really discouraged today, i ate a really good meal and ran for 20 minutes, then did the "100 workout" but i look in the mirror and see my body and lose hope. i'm 123 pounds, at 5'2.5, and it would be a fine weight if i was taller.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines