It is the beginning of the end. The culmination of an era. The final months. The past seventeen years have all be leading to this ultimate destination, and once it is reached the entire time spent traveling to it will matter no more. It will be the end of an end, and the beginning of a new beginning; in truth, it will be the end of the beginning.

But the destination has not been reached yet; the end is in sight, but it has not arrived. Eight months remain. Eight more months of freedom; eight months until freedom. Eight months to finish learning; eight months until the learning truly begins. Eight months until graduation.

There is much that our heroine must accomplish in those eight short—and yet unbearably long—months. Some things must be finished in that time, while others simply should be, and some might barely be begun. Nevertheless, these eight months will be the capstone on our heroine’s journey; it will be because of them that she will be vaulted higher than she could image, or that she will sink lower than ever before.

Let us begin.

MAIN QUEST
In eight months, our heroine must become the person she truly wishes to be, the person she wishes to continue her life as. This improved version of herself is a black belt, weight at least 20 pounds less than our heroine does now, and has sharpened her social skills to a razor edge.

First Mission (+2 DEX, +2 STR): In order to achieve her black belt, our heroine must be stronger and more flexible than she ever has been before. To this end, she will continue to awaken every morning in order to stretch, do her slow kicks, and perform bodyweight strength exercises on Moon’s day, Odin’s day, and Freya’s day.

GRADING: Each day is on a pass/fail basis

A: 7/7 passes

B: 6/7

C: 5/7

D: 3-4/7

F:  1-2/7

Second Mission (+4 STA, +1 WIS): Strength and flexibility are not the only attributes our heroine needs to successfully attain her black belt; she must also improve herself as a martial artist. This mission has two parts: our heroine must attend all classes as that she is able, and must practice her art alone at least thrice a week.

GRADING: a "missed" class means an unexcused absence--if I legitimately had so much homework that I couldn't go, it doesn't count as a missed class.  If the only reason I didn't finish my homework in time is because I was YouTube-ing for three hours after school, then it counts.

A:  All classes attended, 3x practice

B:  1 class/practice missed

C:  2 classes/practices missed

D:  3 classes/practices missed

F:  4+ classes/practices missed

Third Mission (+2 CON, +2 CHA): If she wishes to continue her journey to a lighter version of herself, our heroine must fuel her body correctly. She will continue to avoid grains and carbohydrate-filled foods while journeying down (a modified) Paleolithic way. Our heroine will, however, continue to consume dairy. In addition to eating as her ancestors did many moons ago, our heroine will also continue to experiment with Intermittent Fasting. At least five days a week, our heroine will ensure that she endures for 16 hours without food, then fuels her body for a mere 8 hours before repeating.

GRADING:  Pass/fail daily basis.  The first two days without IF are still a pass (if the food I ate was acceptable) but after that, non-IF days count as a fail.

A: 7/7 passes

B: 6/7

C: 5/7

D: 3-4/7

F:  1-2/7

Life Side-quest (+2 WIS): If our heroine wishes to attend college, she must set herself down on her formidable ass and dedicate herself to completing manifold applications and composing essays of her most impressive prose.

GRADING: Point system.  Finish an application form - 1 pt; finish the rough draft of an essay - 1 pt; finish the essay to the point where I give it to other people to read - 1 pt; finish essay completely - 1 pt; all transcripts sent - 1 pt; application fully completed - 2 pts; all applications completed - infinite points

A: 5 pts

B: 4 pts

C: 3 pts

D: 1-2 pts

F: 0 pts

STARTING STATS
Weight: 161.4
BMI: 24.5
Waist: 29.5
Hips: 42.5
Thigh: 24
BF Percent: 31%

Bicep: 11.25 inches

Wow!  Black belt!  Much homage.  Which "style" of martial arts do you practice?

Heh, you should probably save the homage for when I actually get the belt. Thank you though =D

It's sort of a mix of different styles, but it's mostly based on Tae Kwon Do. I also do Krav Maga, but I haven't been able to go to class for a long time (I broke my collarbone during class a fee months ago and I'm not approved for sparring/Krav yet).

Ouch!  My brother broke his when we were kids (or, my other brother broke it for him...um long story).  That's a tricky one to heal, isn't it?  Hope your recovery is going well.

Mostly mine just took an annoyingly long amount of time.  There's nothing they can really do to make it heal faster/better (no casts, and the sling somehow managed to make it hurt more), but now I'm almost home free!!  Yay!!

Also.... ouch.  I empathize your brother.

Welcome! :)

Your challenge looks a lot like mine (similar diet, kicks, and application crap goals).

It's good to have a partner! Let's do this!!

Good Luck making black belt! When is your testing?

Heck yeah!!!  Partnered up here :D

At my dojo, the testing is a four-part process: first, you get two recommendations from black belts (they have a checklist), then you go in front of a Board of Review, then a pre-test for physical requirements (55 pushups, 2 mile run, 45 leg raisers, 55 crunchers), and then the actual test.  If my training goes as planned, I should be getting my recommendations in December. *crosses fingers*

DAY ONE

First day went great.  Woke up early to stretch and strength train, skipped breakfast for IF.  Lunch of eggs, ham, cheese, and bacon (because I love breakfast food at not-breakfast times of day).  Dinner: fish and broccoli.  Then a half hour private lesson at the dojo, followed by an hour downtime there where I stretched a lot and worked a few more pushups (normally my regular class would fill that time, but tonight was "Buddy Pass Day", so everyone was bringing friends and the whole class was games.  Meh.) and then the hour-long adult class.

I'm tired, but it's good.  I'm ready to dominate the rest of this challenge.  Bring it.

Goal for tomorrow:  Finish deciding how I'm going to grade each mission, what attribute points to give to what, and what the loot should be ^_^

Question time! I weigh myself every day (and yes, I know that's not recommended. But I don't freak when it goes up day-to-day, and I like having the constant data stream. I'm that kind of person. Plus, I would be way more crushed if I waited a whole week to weigh myself and there was no change/little change/increase. It just works better for me. Whew) and I've noticed that the morning after karate class, my weight almost always goes up.

Anybody know why? Is it just extra water weight (I don't tend to drink enough and get fairly dehydrated when I work out)? Is it something else? It doesn't really matter--I'm still generally losing weight--I'm just curious if anybody knew :)

Um...I don't really have any intelligent thoughts about your question, but I do have one of my own:  Have you been doing IF for long and how does it do for you?  I find that when I try to do the typical 16/8 IF my cravings get out of control.  I've read that fasting is more stressful on women than men, so I wanted to get your perspective.  Is it just something to get used to?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I've been doing it for about a month and a half, and I like it. It's definitely something you have to get used to, though--I've found that even this far in, if don't do IF over the weekend I get REALLY hungry on Monday morning, and its tough to make it to lunch. Usually when that happens, I have a small snack when I wake up with as few carbs as possible, and that helps tide me over. Same with drinking a lot of water.

Personally, I also think it's been helping me lose weight. But I still have to eat Paleo along with it--the claims that you can eat anything as long as you stick to the 8/16 schedule are BS.

I should say, though, that I generally have a fairly easy time with fasting. As long as I'm not sitting in front of food/people eating, I enjoy it. My relationship with food hasn't always been the best, and being able to skip a meal without it affecting me just feels good. So that makes IF a lot easier :)

Hope that helped!

Um...I don't really have any intelligent thoughts about your question, but I do have one of my own:  Have you been doing IF for long and how does it do for you?  I find that when I try to do the typical 16/8 IF my cravings get out of control.  I've read that fasting is more stressful on women than men, so I wanted to get your perspective.  Is it just something to get used to?

Funny I've been doing IF daily since May and honestly i don't have those cravings anymore.  My mood is also way more stable, sharkweek more regular and i seem to have more focus.  But that could just be me.  I've also just added Whole30 to the mix and honestly my IF is even better!  I do drink a lot of water when fasting though.

Question time! I weigh myself every day (and yes, I know that's not recommended. But I don't freak when it goes up day-to-day, and I like having the constant data stream. I'm that kind of person. Plus, I would be way more crushed if I waited a whole week to weigh myself and there was no change/little change/increase. It just works better for me. Whew) and I've noticed that the morning after karate class, my weight almost always goes up.

Anybody know why? Is it just extra water weight (I don't tend to drink enough and get fairly dehydrated when I work out)? Is it something else? It doesn't really matter--I'm still generally losing weight--I'm just curious if anybody knew :)

If you weight yourself before and after a workout the same thing happens.  It could be water retention or it could be that your muscles are taking in more oxygen/protein/whatever. Maybe we should google it.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

A cursory glance at the Google says that it's just water retention. When you enter into transient hypertrophy, your muscles swell with fluid, and it sticks around to promote healing in the body. It's supposed to happen. (I dunno how that ends up being more weight though. It's not like you're soaking up moisture from the air or something. You're not a sponge). So, you drink more water, and your body circulates it out of the system.

I've never really heard how much you should drink. The Eight Glasses Per Day standard is a myth, from a misquoted 50's dietary study talking about how the standard amount of food we eat generally gives us about as much water as eight glasses.

The recommendation I've heard (and am thus experimenting with) is drinking half your bodyweight in ounces of water. Not sure if it's going to work. I'll post some numbers at the end of the week and keep the experiment alive throughout the challenge. Might give you something you can work with.

Funny I've been doing IF daily since May and honestly i don't have those cravings anymore.  My mood is also way more stable, sharkweek more regular and i seem to have more focus.  But that could just be me.  I've also just added Whole30 to the mix and honestly my IF is even better!  I do drink a lot of water when fasting though.

If you weight yourself before and after a workout the same thing happens.  It could be water retention or it could be that your muscles are taking in more oxygen/protein/whatever. Maybe we should google it.

IF is definitely awesome(:

A cursory glance at the Google says that it's just water retention. When you enter into transient hypertrophy, your muscles swell with fluid, and it sticks around to promote healing in the body. It's supposed to happen. (I dunno how that ends up being more weight though. It's not like you're soaking up moisture from the air or something. You're not a sponge). So, you drink more water, and your body circulates it out of the system.

I've never really heard how much you should drink. The Eight Glasses Per Day standard is a myth, from a misquoted 50's dietary study talking about how the standard amount of food we eat generally gives us about as much water as eight glasses.

The recommendation I've heard (and am thus experimenting with) is drinking half your bodyweight in ounces of water. Not sure if it's going to work. I'll post some numbers at the end of the week and keep the experiment alive throughout the challenge. Might give you something you can work with.

Yeah, I Googled it too and that's the same thing that I found.  I've been trying to drink more water, but it's still something I have trouble with.  Maybe that'll be one of my missions next challenge :D

I'll definitely check out your numbers.  Thanks!!

DAY TWO

This is late.  Meh.  I woke up early, stretched, and did slowkicks.  That was it for exercise *winces* but I ate right, so that's good(:

DAY THREE (so far)

Woke up early.  Stretching, slow kicks, knee pushups, wall pushups, planks.

Food: I ate breakfast today (no IF) because Mom made good bacon.  As in, the bacon we've got that's from a local Amish farmer.  As wonderful as normal bacon is, that stuff is infinitely better.  Lunch was the usual: eggs, ham, American and cream cheese, broccoli.

Dinner hasn't happened yet, but hopefully it'll go well.  We're going out for Mom's birthday, and it's to a local place that literally has no Paleo sides.  I might punt and get green beans (even though technically, they're legumes and so not Paleo) just so I don't end up eating my arm off (or the bread they always have).  Also, I made chocolate mousse.  Mom's doesn't eat Paleo, but she does go for low carb--thus, birthday mousse instead of birthday cake.  It's got 100% cocoa dark chocolate, cream, eggs, and stevia in it.  It's still dessert, but it's at least mostly Paleo.

On another note, I talked to one of the instructors at my dojo (who's also a personal trainer) about how to improve my pushups (to test, I need to be able to do 55 pushups by December.  Right now, I can do about 5) and he recommended tabata.  So, I'm going to give that a try and see how it goes(:

Well, it sounds like you're making the most of the circumstances. I'm terrible about that when I'm out with family, or in general public settings. I just want to blend in and not draw attention to myself, so I tend to eat the things that everyone else is eating, even if it's not so great for me.

And you know, if punting is what it takes to get you there, then punt it. One dalliance doesn't break Paleo. That's how awesome it is.

Well, it sounds like you're making the most of the circumstances. I'm terrible about that when I'm out with family, or in general public settings. I just want to blend in and not draw attention to myself, so I tend to eat the things that everyone else is eating, even if it's not so great for me.

And you know, if punting is what it takes to get you there, then punt it. One dalliance doesn't break Paleo. That's how awesome it is.

Oh, if I'm with anyone other than the family I'm awful about eating well.  Peer pressure, or whatever you want to call it.  But my family already knows how weird I am, so it's okay if I show it :D

DAY THREE continued

I ended up getting green beans, and then barely eating them.  Too mushy :P  And as for the mousse... I finished it and ate some, but it was still too bitter for me even with the ridiculous amount of stevia I put in it.  My mom liked it, though, and that's what's important, since it's her birthday ^_^

I'm also not going to be able to make it to class tonight :P  Too much homework and other things left that I have to do.  I've got a list of things I'm checking off, and I'm hoping to make a huge enough dent this weekend that I'll be able to consistently go to class again.  But for now... I should probably stop stalling, get off NF, and go do stuff.

I just have to throw this out there...how on earth do y'all make it through these intermittent fasting times? I'm pretty much constantly eating. I miss a meal, and the world basically comes to an end. I don't know how y'all do it. 

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines