• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

peggysr

Stealthy Ninja Bastards, Challenge 2

To be honest, there's already been a huge weeding process just as a result of sticking it out for a challenge or two.  The first accountabilibuddy group I joined had like nine people in it.  I think Sicil and I are the only ones still doing challenges.  I've been making a point of following three or so newbies each challenge to encourage them, and it's a good challenge if one of them sticks it out for the whole thing.

Actually, I'll refresh your memory here: I dropped out of 'your' group because I accidentally joined two groups and that was a bad move. ;) One was more than enough to keep up with! I've seen a lot of people drop off so I'm so glad all of you guys are still here with us!

On that, peggysr, where's sabrinamari at? Perhaps give her a gentle love tap to check in? ;)

I haven't heard from Aerie for a while either! Hellooooooo Aerie.......

All three of these comments made me chuckle and make a good point. 

This challenge also has a very different feel for me. I'm trying to figure out if it's because the excitement wore off or if I'm finally stable :)

Also, seeing you guys on FB is pretty awesome. 

What's the different feel, err, feel like? ;)

I agree, I'm so glad we all added each other to FB! As I'm scanning through my news feed I get to know you guys better and feel guiltier if I haven't done anything to further my goals that day!

I second that seeing everyone on Facebook is great - makes it feel even more real than just words on a screen. Really, it hi I the community here is what's making this different from my previous attempts to get healthy

Yeah, I think this community has been the one element that's really changed things around for me. I love the fact that we're all individual in our goals - no one's challenges are exactly like everyone else's. I think you learn a lot from each other by being in a state of friendly non-competition.

Actually, I'll refresh your memory here: I dropped out of 'your' group because I accidentally joined two groups and that was a bad move. ;) One was more than enough to keep up with! I've seen a lot of people drop off so I'm so glad all of you guys are still here with us!

On that, peggysr, where's sabrinamari at? Perhaps give her a gentle love tap to check in? ;)

I did remember that.  My point is that the rest of the group is, um, gone.  There MIGHT be one other person still on NerdFitness, but I don't think so.

I texted sabrinamari to see how she is.  If you friend her on FB, you'll at least see here workouts show up, although she very rarely posts.  Her job is INSANE, and she's not a big online person, so I'm not too worried about her.  I'll see her in person next month when she and her family are coming for a visit.

I did remember that.  My point is that the rest of the group is, um, gone.  There MIGHT be one other person still on NerdFitness, but I don't think so.

I texted sabrinamari to see how she is.  If you friend her on FB, you'll at least see here workouts show up, although she very rarely posts.  Her job is INSANE, and she's not a big online person, so I'm not too worried about her.  I'll see her in person next month when she and her family are coming for a visit.

Hehe, I don't know why we kept up with each other after that. Probably because your workouts were so HARDCORE and I wanted to keep up. ;D

Thanks for checking in with Sabrina! She must be posting at times that I'm not checking FB, so maybe... 2am? ;)

This is a preclude to the mini-challenge next week (spoiler alert! wait, that's too late...) And it's also kinda selfish. Aherm. I was hoping you lovely people would weigh in on my progress on the whole30 so far. It's my first stab at eating paleo, and I'd appreciate some feedback.

Some notes:

Bold means I've cooked. Italics represent leftovers. It's just my system to distinguish how many times I'm cooking that week, and how much time I'm spending on it.

Potatoes - I'm aware that these are a contentious whole30 issue. For me, I had them lying around and didn't want them going to waste. These won't be on the grocery list in the future, it was just getting rid of things from before.

When I don't have a measurement next to a certain food, just assume that I'm following the Whole30 meal plan guidelines (PDF).

Thanks all, I really appreciate it! Whew, it's been a crazy, busy week! Lemme know if you have any problem with the google doc below, you should be able to view without signing in.

I can't really comment on the Whole 30 / Paleo-ness of it.  I do notice you've got blackberries as a fat on Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure they're not counted that way.  Other than that, it looks grain and sugar free, assuming you're being careful about sauces and recipes.

I can't really comment on the Whole 30 / Paleo-ness of it.  I do notice you've got blackberries as a fat on Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure they're not counted that way.  Other than that, it looks grain and sugar free, assuming you're being careful about sauces and recipes.

Good catch! I think I need an optional 'fruit' or 'other' row.

Yes I'm following whole30 recipes to a T. For this week, anyway. Usually I like to rift on the recipes in the future, once I get used to them.

...slowly dragging myself back into the thread...

My dears, I have been just surviving under a work onslaught, as a new program director at a NJ university.

September is the busiest month in the entire academic year, and not only I am fully running a small PhD program for the first time ever now..

...this is the first academic semester after a merger with another HUGE research university.

And...

(wait for it)

during the worst weeks of the most demanding month of the whole academic year, right after a merger..

...all department heads were asked to write and then revise a comprehensive summary of the program they direct for the new chancellor.

...and then add in data and figures, and then  REVISE IT AGAIN over two days.

...cough cough...

So...

That was hard.

And now I am here again.

WINS:

Over the last two weeks, I KEPT WORKING OUT.

During Week 1 I did my old routine, but kept to it all week, with the exception of running. I substituted elliptical training and uphill fast walking because my ankles were still torn up from Spartan race blood blisters.

During Week 2, I switched to my old trainer's routine (much more difficult) and did LSB cardio (long slow burn; 45-60 min at a 120-140 heart rate) in the middle of the week when I couldn't function enough to do my weight workouts.  As a consequence, I need to do a weight workout on both Saturday and Sunday to stay current.

I ate very well the whole period: mostly paleo, and very little processed sugar, except for two consecutive nights when I cracked and ate chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

I drove 7 hours over the last weekend to a retreat and seven hours back, and I ate well and worked out while I was there.

LOSSES:

I have not tracked my food consistently.

I ate ice cream 2 nights in a row.

I tried to climb a rope and failed utterly.

I have not yet run since the Spartan, and I miss my Zombies Run app like mad.  When my ankles healed, my schedule exploded.  So this weekend I have to do an intense weight workout plus a run each day.

I did not do my Stealthy Ninja homework.

I did not post here at all.

NOW:

I will do my back Ninja homework.

I will do a weight workout + run each weekend day.

I will catch up on all the threads and comment, but I will space this over the whole weekend.

I will post my accountability board pics this weekend, too.

So you wanna know something weird?  About a week and a half ago I got the idea of making crustless mini-quiches that are low on fat but high on protein and vegetables.

"I could make them in muffin pans," I thought.

But there was no time.

"I'll do it this weekend," I thought.

And there, in this wonderful thread...are some recipes I can use.  And advice to use FOIL muffin cups.

I totally would have screwed that up, never having made muffins in my life.

Thank you, guys, and especially Peggy.

I guess I'm on your psychic wavelength now.

...slowly dragging myself back into the thread...

My dears, I have been just surviving under a work onslaught, as a new program director at a NJ university.

September is the busiest month in the entire academic year, and not only I am fully running a small PhD program for the first time ever now..

...this is the first academic semester after a merger with another HUGE research university.

And...

(wait for it)

during the worst weeks of the most demanding month of the whole academic year, right after a merger..

...all department heads were asked to write and then revise a comprehensive summary of the program they direct for the new chancellor.

...and then add in data and figures, and then  REVISE IT AGAIN over two days.

...cough cough...

So...

That was hard.

And now I am here again.

WINS:

Over the last two weeks, I KEPT WORKING OUT.

During Week 1 I did my old routine, but kept to it all week, with the exception of running. I substituted elliptical training and uphill fast walking because my ankles were still torn up from Spartan race blood blisters.

During Week 2, I switched to my old trainer's routine (much more difficult) and did LSB cardio (long slow burn; 45-60 min at a 120-140 heart rate) in the middle of the week when I couldn't function enough to do my weight workouts.  As a consequence, I need to do a weight workout on both Saturday and Sunday to stay current.

I ate very well the whole period: mostly paleo, and very little processed sugar, except for two consecutive nights when I cracked and ate chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

I drove 7 hours over the last weekend to a retreat and seven hours back, and I ate well and worked out while I was there.

LOSSES:

I have not tracked my food consistently.

I ate ice cream 2 nights in a row.

I tried to climb a rope and failed utterly.

I have not yet run since the Spartan, and I miss my Zombies Run app like mad.  When my ankles healed, my schedule exploded.  So this weekend I have to do an intense weight workout plus a run each day.

I did not do my Stealthy Ninja homework.

I did not post here at all.

NOW:

I will do my back Ninja homework.

I will do a weight workout + run each weekend day.

I will catch up on all the threads and comment, but I will space this over the whole weekend.

I will post my accountability board pics this weekend, too.

Welcome back, Sabrina! We've missed your positivity! I'm so glad you came out of such a stressful time in such good shape. Those good habits were acquired at exactly the right time! :)

Don't panic too much about the 'missed' Ninja homework. If you have time, great, but I would prefer that you get back on track in your own workout routine. Or find a way to get scouty and high while you're working out, that'll save you time. Next week's mini-challenge will be posted tomorrow, and I have a feeling you'll like it. :)

Here's another variation of quick baked paleo breakfasts that I just came across. Looks dead simple. Looks like I'll need to invest in a muffin tray (unlike some of you ladies, baking does not happen very often in my household!) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-and-eggs-to-go

Have a great and fitness-tastic weekend, all!

That's so cool. Who knew that being a stealthy ninja would naturally lead to ESP! It must be one of the secret benefits of the healthy eating we've been up to.

How could you ever even doubt that being a stealthy ninja would lead to ESP?!

Ok - so my 'Get High' claims are a little lame, but significant, and relevant (sort of). I brought myself a bobble water bottle which I completely adore. Every day this week so far I've drunk at least 2 liters of water. This has given me a natural, emotional, and completely metaphorical euphoric 'high'. I also feel so much better for doing it.

Physically, for those that have done zombies 5K, they get you to do heel lifts. I've never, ever seen the point of doing them, so somewhat ... skipped them. This week, I stood and did 20 heel lifts in 2 intervals of 10 at Paddington Underground whilst waiting for my train. 

That's right... my 'getting high' physically took me a grand total of an additional 2 inches higher than I normally am.

Back homework, Part 1: Recon and Retrieval Mission

https://www.graze.com/us/products

This company has helped me stay on track with my eating during times of high stress, with a major comfort food longings.  It has also kept me from buying junk food at the 4 machines (WHO NEEDS 4 JUNK FOOD MACHINES?) in my building's lobby.

Each graze box has 4 different snacks, usually a mix of dried fruit, nuts and seeds.  However, they have many different kinds of snacks.  Some are fruit + dips (apple + caramel; tiny crackers + sweet onion chutney; flapjacks + raspberry dip).  Some snacks are Paleo friendly, others not.  Some are gluten free, others are not.

BUT you can go in, see the list of 90 or so snacks and pick the ones you want and how often you want them, noting what to not send you ever, so you can customize your graze boxes.

There's a light version and a regular version.

I get two a week, and they come in the mail so I don't have to pick up snacks.  The snacks fit in my purse and are very yummy, with lots of good nutrition.

Each box is $5, and gets billed to your debit or credit card.  You can cancel upcoming bozes in advance if you are traveling or it's not convenient to get them.

For me, they've been a godsend.  I've avoided SO MANY junk food attacks by having little yummy snacks with me at all times...graze has really worked for me because I have more money than time, and there is no way I can manage to have a variety of tasty healthy snacks for every possible occasion without lapses because my job is too demanding for consistent, totally detailed planning.

My honey laughs at me for this, but I am really grateful I have this service.

That's so cool. Who knew that being a stealthy ninja would naturally lead to ESP! It must be one of the secret benefits of the healthy eating we've been up to.

Ok - so my 'Get High' claims are a little lame, but significant, and relevant (sort of). I brought myself a bobble water bottle which I completely adore. Every day this week so far I've drunk at least 2 liters of water. This has given me a natural, emotional, and completely metaphorical euphoric 'high'. I also feel so much better for doing it.

Physically, for those that have done zombies 5K, they get you to do heel lifts. I've never, ever seen the point of doing them, so somewhat ... skipped them. This week, I stood and did 20 heel lifts in 2 intervals of 10 at Paddington Underground whilst waiting for my train.

That's right... my 'getting high' physically took me a grand total of an additional 2 inches higher than I normally am.

I'm just waiting until I get to skipping intervals. Already if eel like I look weird stopping and doing heel lifts, sporadically skipping is going to make me look like a crazy person

Part 2: Ninja Get High

My 'high' came in two forms this week. The first was the natural high I felt while on the Whole30. I never ran out of energy, and was properly fueled for all of my workouts. This was demonstrated very clearly when I came crashing down to a 'low' by skipping a meal. So I'll continue to work on that feeling of high throughout the next two weeks of Whole30.

The other 'high' were two new moves I incorporated into my BW workouts, both involving a yoga ball.

Prone Yoga Ball Crunch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioljmJXRkac (the first exercise she demo's - the second one looks cool! I will try that one next)

Yoga Ball Reverse Lift: I couldn't find a video online for this one. Basically you have the yoga ball right above your head, and hold it with your hands so it doesn't fly everywhere. Then you bring your straight legs up and over until your toes touch the ball. Then roll down slowly. This one is a tough one, and you can injure your neck if you don't do everything slowly, with control.

We definitely have ESP. I was perusing Amazon and almost ordered a bobble the other day! ;) Now it looks like I have to! My one concern was that the water is hard to get out of the bottle - some people report you have to squeeze the bottle. How have you liked yours so far?

post-17698-0-95550800-1380505527_thumb.jSpent the last 12 hours on the damn report, which came back with more requests for data and tables I didn't have.

No gym.  No running.

This is me getting high: lightheaded and stumbling out the door for a fast 30-minute walk at 9:44 pm so I can complete my 5th pact day with gym pact this week.

post-17698-0-95550800-1380505527_thumb.jSpent the last 12 hours on the damn report, which came back with more requests for data and tables I didn't have.

No gym. No running.

This is me getting high: lightheaded and stumbling out the door for a fast 30-minute walk at 9:44 pm so I can complete my 5th pact day with gym pact this week.

Oh no! That sounds awful, but that's amazing that you're still managing to get even a walk in. You can do it! Take care of yourself and take it slow, you are a badass that can make it through.

Thanks, aisle4b.  I did it.  Got my walk in.

I also got all the shoes off of my closet floor, put my summer shoes away and pulled the winter shoes out and arranged them in my overdoor shoe hanger.

It's something.

Also picked up organic veggie box.

Grocery shopping and mini-quiches tomorrow night.

I hope.

Well hello Ninjas! We have officially made it to week 3 of the 6 week challenge! It's all downhill from here, right?! 

The following is our week 3 team mini-challenge. We hope you guys will enjoy it and have fun completing it :D

Week 3: Ninjas Get Fed

(Sept 30 - Oct 6, 2013)

Cook something new and healthy according to your diet, then post a picture with recipe to the recipes thread. Stuck and need some inspiration? Post a few ingredients you like (or would like to try out), as well as any dietary restrictions, and we’ll all chime in with some potential candidates!

You have until next Sunday! Beat those cravings like a mofo!

Cheers,

Rogaecia & Sicil

What up, Secret Ninjas!

Hope you’re all doing well, and that Week 2 isn’t getting you down too badly. When in doubt, look to our wonderful squad for support - check in frequently, and respond on each other’s threads. Great things will come out of it. Since this is, historically, a tougher period of the challenge, there’s only one part to this week’s mini-challenge. Ready?

2igd1t2.jpg

Week 2: Ninjas Get High

(Sept 23 - 29, 2013)

​​Climb a mountain, go bouldering, do jump squats or pullups, look out upon the city from the top floor of a skyskraper… just do something that changes your elevation and perspective. Write about your experiences.

You have until next Sunday! Make it count!

Well, gee golly- I totally wanted to get to the top of a tall building but I just couldn't find the time. Relaxation kept calling my name and I complied. Yesterday I did do some jump squats as part of my new bodyweight routine- my bum aches today! 

I also walked across the steel bridge in Portland after Dr. Sketchy's last night. Here's a picture: 

9407_10151729336591312_1877110192_n.jpg

It was purrrrrrty! 

I hope everyone is having a rad start to your week! 

<3

Part 3: Ninjas Get Fed

Dudettes. I apologize, but sometimes a recipe comes along and it's magic. Here's one of those magical times.

med_gallery_16948_411_946010.jpg

Paleo Breakfast Zucchini Pancakes

So good I would eat them always. It's kind of a cross between a pancake and a omelet. Without the fluffiness of the omelet - which, as a non-omelet fan, I much enthused over. (I had a tiny bit of ropa vieja left over. And it made it mind-blowing.)

All right! Over to the rest of ya!

Part 3: Ninjas Get Fed

Dudettes. I apologize, but sometimes a recipe comes along and it's magic. Here's one of those magical times.

med_gallery_16948_411_946010.jpg

Paleo Breakfast Zucchini Pancakes

So good I would eat them always. It's kind of a cross between a pancake and a omelet. Without the fluffiness of the omelet - which, as a non-omelet fan, I much enthused over. (I had a tiny bit of ropa vieja left over. And it made it mind-blowing.)

All right! Over to the rest of ya!

That looks super delicious. I am definitely going to try the zucchini pancakes in the next couple of weeks.