AverageJoe: From Fatman to Batman

AverageJoe

Main Goal: Bruce Wayne is just an average man, no special powers (OK aside from the whole billionaire playboy thing).  He’s just a normal human but the Batman is more than just a man.  I need to move above average.  The average american is out of shape and overweight.  Unfortunately I AM the average american, but no more.  From now on I plan on moving myself above average. I want to drop my excess weight, to increase my strength, to become The Bat!

The Specifics:

Goal 1: Continue Cardio.  Last challenge was ALL Cardio and I want to maintain those healthy habits without destroying my already messed up hip.  Run 12 miles/week. (6 wks STA = +4, 5 wks STA =+3, 4 wks Sta = +1)  

Goal 2: Get Stronger! Strength training at least 3x per week.  It doesn’t matter if its free weights, TotalGym, or bodyweight exercises.  It does have to be structured and at least 30 minutes per workout. (6 wks, STR +3 Dex +1, 5wks STR+3, 4 wks STR +1)

Goal 3: Diet, Diet, Diet!  Last challenge I experimented with the Paleo lifestyle.  This time I want to continue it.  18 paleo meals per week.  (6 wks CON +2 WIS +2, 5 wks CON +1 WIS +1)

Side Quest 1: Data, Data, Data! I’m a science nerd and proud of it! So I want

data! I will track my workouts.  My run distances and times, as well as strength exercises reps and weights. (6 wks, WIS +3, 5 wks WIS +2, 4 wks WIS +1)

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

I love your topic title! You definitely seem like you've got the motivation to be Batman :) Good luck with everything!

Thanks, my real motivation is my little girl.  She's almost 4 and thinks her Dad can do anything.  I'd like to keep her thinking that as long as possible.

I love your photo, and your title too!   Good luck with your second challenge!  I am cutting carbs in my diet for health reasons and so I hope you post a little about what you are cooking and eating. 

I'm a total foodie so I'm more than happy to post recipes and discuss food with anyone whose interested.  I love carbs and definitely miss them when on the paleo band wagon.  My saving grace last challenge was roasted veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, carrots, beets, etc.).  Root veggies are especially good for replacing the carb spot on your plate.

I will forever now picture you running around with a giant bomb over your head haha :)  Let's hope that hip behaves and all is good for you!

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"   :nightmare:

I need for you to add a side quest that every morning you will look in the mirror, and in your best Michael Keaton voice say, "I'm Batman"

Seriously

I love the idea of moving from average to above average, that is awesome. And how will you track the data? IN a spreadsheet? With apps? Pen and Paper?

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Okay, I'm pretty sure you have to have the best challenge title I have ever seen :)  And your goals all look like they continue beautifully from everything you accomplished last challenge.

I need for you to add a side quest that every morning you will look in the mirror, and in your best Michael Keaton voice say, "I'm Batman"

Seriously

^^^ Also this.  Do this.  Bonus points if you do it wearing a long black cape :)

Best of luck!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Amazing, good luck with your challenge, nice to see you with a wee avatar as well! We expect a batman costume at the end of the quest.

If I find a Bat-suit I can fit into its a deal, and I promise I'll leave Bat-Nipples to Clooney

Good luck on the Batman front.  You'll be fine as long as you have shark repellent and keep kicking butt.  Hope the hip is ok.

Thanks, I'll have to see if Amazon carries Bat-Shark-Repellent.  Actually the 10K from last challenge did a number on my hip and I haven't been able to get to PT for over 2 weeks.  I'm hopeful that getting back to a regular PT schedule and running lower miles will help.

Seriously

I love the idea of moving from average to above average, that is awesome. And how will you track the data? IN a spreadsheet? With apps? Pen and Paper?

My voice is already hoarse from practicing  ;)  and Excel Spreadsheet all the way!!  I've created a few different strength training workouts, using free weights, Bodyweight, and a TotalGym ®.  I'll be tracking my weights/resistance level, # of reps and # of sets throughout the challenge as well as my run distances and times. 

Okay, I'm pretty sure you have to have the best challenge title I have ever seen :)  And your goals all look like they continue beautifully from everything you accomplished last challenge.

^^^ Also this.  Do this.  Bonus points if you do it wearing a long black cape :)

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot.  I admittedly fell off the wagon a little during the week off between challenges but now I'm ready to go.  Looking forward to the day when I'm ready to save Gotham!

AverageJoe the title of your challenge caught my eye as I listen to a podcast called 'Fatman on Batman'.  Its got great interviews with Bat-related people, writers, artists and actors.  It makes you want to punch evil in the face!  Best of luck on your quest, Gotham is rooting for you!

Sorted Hufflepuff, Self Proclaimed Stark, Lover of LEGOS

Love the stuff you love, and pursue your passions without fear or regret.

Weekly Battle Log Here: Silver Sword

Care to share those spreadsheets, at least the formats, for those of us who want to track?

And I would love to hear what you do with root veggies - I went to the store and looked at a rutabaga and just put it back down.  No idea what to do with that thing.

So you did partial Paleo last time.  I hear often that when a person changes to Paleo or Whole 30 they sort of "detox" and their energy changes and life is different.  But you are not doing it 100% - do you notice any change in the way you feel?  Energy, restful sleep, anything?

I love your photo and it makes me chuckle every time I see it.  :-)  Great work keeping up all the habits from last challenge, and then refining them.

Hello fellow lover of the Dark Knight!

Our goals are very similar. I just am allergic to running. It gives me hives... mental hives. Maybe in the future I will work in some cardio, but for now I'll focus on strength (which I love).

Good luck with your challenge. May the Bat be with you.

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

AverageJoe the title of your challenge caught my eye as I listen to a podcast called 'Fatman on Batman'.  Its got great interviews with Bat-related people, writers, artists and actors.  It makes you want to punch evil in the face!  Best of luck on your quest, Gotham is rooting for you!

Thanks for stopping by.  I'll do my best to make Gotham proud.  

batman_dark_tomorrow_pow.jpg

Care to share those spreadsheets, at least the formats, for those of us who want to track?

And I would love to hear what you do with root veggies - I went to the store and looked at a rutabaga and just put it back down.  No idea what to do with that thing.

So you did partial Paleo last time.  I hear often that when a person changes to Paleo or Whole 30 they sort of "detox" and their energy changes and life is different.  But you are not doing it 100% - do you notice any change in the way you feel?  Energy, restful sleep, anything?

I love your photo and it makes me chuckle every time I see it.  :-)  Great work keeping up all the habits from last challenge, and then refining them.

I was thinking of converting them to a google spreadsheet that I could link here.  Keeps me more accountable and lets anyone whose interested steal the formats.  

Rutabaga can be an intimidating veggie, but fear not once you know how to attack it they can be delicious.  My recommendations are... Use a large very sharp knife to cut all the skin off.  Raw they are hard as a rock so be careful when cutting.  The most simple and rewarding method of cooking them is roasting.  Dice & toss with EVOO salt pepper and your favorite herbs (rosemary and garlic, YUMM). I usually roast at 375°F until fork tender.  Try carrots, turnip and beats too.

As for the effects of Paleo, I actually noticed the changes more when I "fell off the wagon" last week.  I felt sluggish almost ill. but when eating more paleo friendly foods my energy is up and no matter how much I eat I don't seem to get that "food coma/need to loosen the belt/dear God why did I eat all that" feeling. 

Hello fellow lover of the Dark Knight!

Our goals are very similar. I just am allergic to running. It gives me hives... mental hives. Maybe in the future I will work in some cardio, but for now I'll focus on strength (which I love).

Good luck with your challenge. May the Bat be with you.

I always used to tell people "I'm not a runner, I'm built for comfort not speed" but I've been told (by hardcore runners) that if you go out and purposefully run, no matter the distance, speed or what you look like, you're a runner.  I was and am still much more inclined to focus on strength training.  My recommendation for non-running based cardio is Boxing.  Get a heavy bag and some gloves and go at it.  Great cardio!!  

So I figure it's time for a Mini-update.  I did my first strength workout on monday night, all barbell all the time!  It felt great to be lifting again.  I'm trying to mix it up with compound lifts (Deadlifts, Thruster, Sumo deadlift high pull) as well as some isolating moves for specific muscle groups.  I'm doing is in a circuit style and was hoping to get through 3 sets but my arms and back were jello after 2!! Last night was cardio, ran 2.7 miles.  I plan on moving my tracking spreadsheet to google for ease of sharing my results, hopefully by this weekend.  Finally, paleo's going well 7 meals thus far and it feels good to be back into it.  

I've got to send a thanks to Tateman for the cauliflower mash recommendation.  Had it last night with grilled pork chop and sauteed onions and bitter greens, 5 star delicious!! The only problem is my wife keeps eating my leftovers :tongue:

So I figure it's time for a Mini-update.  I did my first strength workout on monday night, all barbell all the time!  It felt great to be lifting again.  I'm trying to mix it up with compound lifts (Deadlifts, Thruster, Sumo deadlift high pull) as well as some isolating moves for specific muscle groups.  I'm doing is in a circuit style and was hoping to get through 3 sets but my arms and back were jello after 2!! Last night was cardio, ran 2.7 miles.  I plan on moving my tracking spreadsheet to google for ease of sharing my results, hopefully by this weekend.  Finally, paleo's going well 7 meals thus far and it feels good to be back into it.  

I've got to send a thanks to Tateman for the cauliflower mash recommendation.  Had it last night with grilled pork chop and sauteed onions and bitter greens, 5 star delicious!! The only problem is my wife keeps eating my leftovers :tongue:

Excellent.  I think I might have to make something similar soon :)

Love your new avatar :) 

Great challenge theme! That's one of the reasons I love Batman so much (and the Nolan canon, in particular). He's just a man who has to step up and be more than a man. All heroes have a weakness, but this guy is actually fallible in a truly human way. Also love your data side quest! Tracking is such a motivator for me. When I can turn something into a graph and see the progress I made? Awesome. 

I'm really interested to see that you felt the non-paleo lifestyle acutely after going paleo for last challenge. Did you notice which foods in particular gave you trouble? 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Pureed celery root is also a great substitute for mashed potatoes.

mmmmmm braised short rib and pureed celery root.

tumblr_inline_mlu2jezfdl1qz4rgp.gif

I actually tried pureed celery root before I started paleo, Thanks for reminding me of it, that's going on the grocery list for next week!!  Also, I totally feel the same about braised short ribs!! Mmmmmmmm!  Sometimes I almost feel guilty eating Paleo....Sometimes :playful:

Love your new avatar :)

Great challenge theme! That's one of the reasons I love Batman so much (and the Nolan canon, in particular). He's just a man who has to step up and be more than a man. All heroes have a weakness, but this guy is actually fallible in a truly human way. Also love your data side quest! Tracking is such a motivator for me. When I can turn something into a graph and see the progress I made? Awesome. 

I'm really interested to see that you felt the non-paleo lifestyle acutely after going paleo for last challenge. Did you notice which foods in particular gave you trouble? 

Thanks for stopping by. No one can argue with Batman's Bad ASS credentials.  As for the effects of non paleo foods... It seemed to be that the more processed carbs and sugars (chips, crackers, pancakes, pasta, Peanut butter, jams, etc.)  When I was restricting those to only a few times per week during the last challenge I didn't have any problems.  But when I temporarily reverted back to a diet predominated by them I just felt sluggish.  Lesson learned (I hope!)

Time for another brief update:  I've been keeping on track with my workouts which feels good (even though I ache from head to toe  :tongue: .  Last nights workout involved a descent run (2+ miles) and bodyweight exercises.  It KICKED MY ASS!!! OK so I'm new to doing Planks and have a question.  Does anyone else experience every muscle in their core shaking uncontrollably after 10 secs?  Seriously!?! Uncontrolled muscle spasms after 10 SECONDS!  Yeah that workout kicked my Ass!

Finally a few people wanted to know HOW I was tracking my data so I just transferred it to a shared Google spreadsheet (link below).  I'll add fun graphs and such an the end of the challenge, for now it's just raw data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An-JQOJKtcgNdEdEeEl3NkJRS09ZV3h5RExUeElWMXc&usp=sharing

PS this is the first time I've tried to share any documents through Google so let me know if it doesn't work.

Time for another brief update:  I've been keeping on track with my workouts which feels good (even though I ache from head to toe  :tongue: .  Last nights workout involved a descent run (2+ miles) and bodyweight exercises.  It KICKED MY ASS!!! OK so I'm new to doing Planks and have a question.  Does anyone else experience every muscle in their core shaking uncontrollably after 10 secs?  Seriously!?! Uncontrolled muscle spasms after 10 SECONDS!  Yeah that workout kicked my Ass!

Nice work on the run!  I think a lot of people have that problem with planks.  I can hold a plank for over a minute, but still often start shaking after 10 seconds.  I don't really know what causes it, but I did some research a while back, and a number of people (who are in much better shape than I) reported the same problem.  So I think you sort of just have to learn to deal with it...anyone reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Nice work on the run!  I think a lot of people have that problem with planks.  I can hold a plank for over a minute, but still often start shaking after 10 seconds.  I don't really know what causes it, but I did some research a while back, and a number of people (who are in much better shape than I) reported the same problem.  So I think you sort of just have to learn to deal with it...anyone reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

Same thing happens to me. Granted I'm not in awesome shape, but I get pretty bad shakes 10 seconds into a plank no matter how I am feeling.

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

OVER a minute plank!?  Ok you're my plank hero now.

Looks like the spreadsheet worked.

Regular planks I never really shook too much at the beginning of it.  The longer I hold I do ;)  The push up type planks I do now feels liek everyhign shakes as soon as I start.  I'm hoping it means I am getting stronger.

So what is the difference between "regular" and "push up" style planks?

I look at the shaking as evidence that I'm doing it right. I've done some pretty long planks (over 2 minutes) and I usually start shaking like crazy around 20-30 seconds. 

Regular planks are on your elbows, pushup planks are in pushup position on your hands. Pushup planks are easier, like inline pushups are easier.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines