Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Draco

Background:

When I joined the Rebellion a year ago, it was the day that a new challenge was starting.  I jumped in head first and tried to do so much all at once... I was trying to compress a C25K program from eight weeks to six, pullups, pushups, diet....  I was in over my head and didn't have any clue.  I injured myself (minor) running, and had fits and starts since then.

Later that year, I went for a second challenge.  I had broad over-arching goals with lots and lots of sub-goals.  In hindsight, it was pretty dumb and I'm kind of surprised no one said so to my face!  I lost my job during that challenge, and dealt with a hurricane and several other major events.... I muddled through achieving little - nothing that would stick.

Over that time of challenges, my weight dropped from 170 to 146 - I hit my goal of 148 and dipped below it.  But I didn't learn anything really.  It's a year later, I don't exercise regularly, I weight 163 (and am gradually trending upwards), and none of it is muscle - I'm getting a beer-belly back.  I've been reading Steve's articles for the past year, but not doing much more.  Now, it's time for a change....  I reenter as an Adventurer, but one who will take things slow and easy, build habits one at a time, and seek to become a Druid instead of a multiclass everything-doer.

MAIN QUEST

TO MAKE HEALTH AND FITNESS A HABIT, so even if my world falls apart again, at least some things will carry across to my next endeavor.

• SMALL yoga routine daily.  I will permit myself add something weekly, but I'm starting with three poses:  mountain->volcano->side bends.  And that's it.  In the past I have always tried to overdo and learn a long program all at once, and I find I'm not comfortable doing too much without the video.  So I put it off (I don't have time to get the mat and watch the video, and the kids are sleeping!)  If I keep it small, keep it simple... I have no excuses.  Yoga helps me find peace and a kind of center in my day, but I do it so rarely....  Today, that will begin to change.
  • Walk a mile (or 20 minutes at a decent pace) every other day (with skipping permitted in inclement weather).  I do want to get back into running 5Ks eventually, but general basic fitness is more important to me right now.  If it's going well, the last two weeks of the challenge I might consider beginning C25K training again.  But for starters, just walking.  In my first challenge, I had tried to do a 8 week C25K program in 6 weeks, and hurt my knee and ankle.  I'm taking this slow and easy now.  And a mile happens to fit at lunch time at work most days, so this could work.
  • Drink water.  Goal is 96 ounces daily.  Primarily, this level of consumption is intended to help me stop drinking so much coffee!  Typically, I drink about 32 ounces of water and an equal amount of coffee on weekends.  On weekdays I drink more like 64 ounces of water and 84 ounces of coffee.  I find that I get headaches more often on weekends, and I wonder if is related to the drastic shift in hydration.  If I pay attention to increasing the water, maybe the coffee will drop off more easily.  As a side note (and nothing more), I will track how much coffee I drink.  I had been trying to cut back, but that will not be a focus of this challenge.  I will just post my quantities to maybe get a baseline for the next challenge....

SIDE QUEST:

• Lay out clothes the night before.  Going from a life of slobbery and minor hoarding, I'm gradually working my way better one small step at a time.  I've already developed the habit off cleaning my kitchen every night before bed (except last night, but I burnt my hand and couldn't stand the hot water.  The kitchen is clean now though).  Having my clothes set up takes a minute at night but saves me several minutes in the morning (and the inevitable '"wait... this doesn't match" that comes from picking clothes from the closet while my wife is sleeping).  A small step, yes... but the little things make a big impact when they become a daily habit.

AND SO IT BEGINS....

Current challenge: Draco Used to Be an Adventurer Like You....

Previous challenge: Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer

6.25 STR | 4 DEX | 6 STA | 4.5 CON | 5.5 WIS | 4.5 CHA

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I like your goals. They are simple and specific.

Also, succesful people fail, but fail quickly. You already learned the lesson when you tried to grasp more than you could handle. Now, you are going slow but steady. The hard part is to be consistent. Not six weeks, but six months. The nice thing about the short term goals is that they give you small wins, to keep it going for the big wins.

Keep it up!

Two days in, and I'm going to modify one of my goals:

Instead of 96 ounces of water a day, I'm going to aim for 80 ounces.

Someone I trust suggested to me that my max water intake should be no more than (in ounces) my body weight (in pounds) divided by two.  Any more than that and I might have problems with my electrolyte balance.  She studied this stuff in college and works as a chiropractor, so I'm going to take her advice on this.

But I've been doing well in the challenge so far:

Two days started with short yoga routines

Day one had 96 ounces of water and 60 ounces of coffee

Day two had 104 ounces of water and 48 ounces of coffee

I took a lunchtime walk both days (20 minutes yesterday, 15 today but I walked much faster)

And my wife complimented my outfit this morning - the first day that I laid out clothes the night before.  I actually have a whole week of work outfits picked out, and they all match better than what I usually wear.  So it's a very successful start!

Day three:

Walked a mile again, faster this time.  I measured my routes on mapquest.com and found out that day two was 0.78 miles, but my other two routes are full miles. So I can walk a mile in 15 minutes, if I work at keeping the pace. I think my problem isn't going to be getting the walks in - its going to be keeping myself from breaking into a run. It feels good to be intentionally exercising again. :)

102 oz water and 60 oz coffee yesterday.

The morning yoga mini session is going well, though it naturally feels too short. It does bring up a couple things I may need to tweak though. One is that certain muscle groups that I've always had problems with (hamstrings and shoulders primarily) probably should be stretched regularly as well. I'm thinking of adding that as a fitness side quest. The other relates to...

Laying out my clothes the night before. This is going better than anticipated (though I must remember a belt). One problem: I get up wearing pajama pants, go to the restroom, and then want to exercise. I can't put on the suit sitting next to me - not yet anyway. For now I do my yoga mini session in the bathroom. But as I add more poses, that's not going to be possible. I need to lay out workout clothes along with my regular outfit.

And if THAT becomes a habit that sticks with me, I will truly have no excuses. :)

Day Four:

Same walk as yesterday, but 16 minutes.  My leg muscles are starting to ache though.  I forgot that, being out of shape at the moment, walking IS exercise and I need to leave my body time to recover.  *sigh*  I miss being a runner.  I think tomorrow will be a day off from walking.

80 ounces of water, 60 ounces of coffee.

Same yoga routine as yesterday.  I'm going to get bored of this if I don't expand it soon, but I made this commitment to myself so that I learn the individual poses well enough that I'm comfortable doing them any time with no prep.  I'm slowly building a repertoire of poses I can use in the freestyle yoga session I WANT to do.  And so I will stick with it, bored or not.  And in a few weeks, I will enjoy it my way.  :)

Tonight I'll be laying out workout clothes next to my suit, the timer on the coffee maker is set.... let's see how this goes!

Well done, I like how your goals are starting to form into a routine! It will make it much easier to stick to if it just makes sense for it to work that way. Well done on getting the walk speed up!

That's why I set up my challenge this way.  Last year I did two challenges (and barely started a third before dropping out).  I have kept exactly two habits from back then, neither of which were among my goals:  I stopped drinking soda and started bringing a water bottle to work.  Forget being bigger, faster, stronger, etc - it's the little things that stick with you and change your life over time.  So I want more little things!

....though eventually I want to run a 5K again.  :)

Last night I laid out my clothes but didn't do much else - I was nursing some shoulder pain from hanging shelves this past weekend (I guess I overdid).  But this meant I left things in disarray... and I inadvertently stumbled upon an improvement to my routine!

You see, I got into the workout clothes I laid out last night, stepped out into the kitchen... and came face-to-face with the hamper that I dragged halfway across the house last night while I was picking up random stray socks and kids clothes.

I looked at the clock - I have time to do a load!

So my day started with running the laundry, yoga, shower, and then starting the dryer.

I'll have time to hang my shirts before work (something that always gets neglected), so I won't have so many wrinkles in my clothes!  Score!  :)

And tonight, I might just leave the hamper in the kitchen again.  :)

So I messed up a bit last night.  My wife went to bed early and I stayed up playing Skyrim, not thinking about the fact that the clothes I needed to lay out were now in the bedroom with my sleeping wife!  Oops.

So I did the natural thing - feel bad for screwing up and continue to do more of the same.  Skyrim until nearly midnight, then crawled into bed exhausted.

Water yesterday was 96 ounces, coffee 80 ounces.  Did my yoga, some stretching and planking (the yoga must be working my abs more than I thought, because I went from yoga to plank and was feeling my muscles shaking instantaneously).  It was a rest day from walking.

Today I'm already halfway through the day.  Did my yoga, mowed the lawn (I'm counting that as walking, mile or not.  It certainly worked up a better sweat!) , but haven't touched water yet and it's 11am.  The weekends are where I really need to pay attention to this one.  I'm going to go get a bottle now and get started.  :)

Habits are good things. 

As for the Skyrim incident, that's exactly what I would have done.  Perhaps your next habit would be to lay out your clothes when you get home instead of before bed.  Do you change out of your work clothes when you come home, or at least take off your shoes?

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Yes I do - usually just the shoes and tie, unless I have to mow the lawn or something equally dirty.

But if I lay out my clothes before dinner, they'll get in the way of the kids' routines. Specifically, my underwear will be next to the sink while they're brushing their teeth. My three year old will tell me that's silly and ask me "can you put it away daddy?"

Lol :)

I just asked my wife, and she agrees that that's exactly what Riley would say. :)

Yes I do - usually just the shoes and tie, unless I have to mow the lawn or something equally dirty.

But if I lay out my clothes before dinner, they'll get in the way of the kids' routines. Specifically, my underwear will be next to the sink while they're brushing their teeth. My three year old will tell me that's silly and ask me "can you put it away daddy?"

Lol :)

I just asked my wife, and she agrees that that's exactly what Riley would say. :)

Does your clothing need to be in the bathroom in the morning, or can you grab it off of a bedroom table on the way into the bathroom?

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Hm, that's a thought. Not sure exactly where that would be, but I'll be keeping it in mind. Thanks!

Good morning!

Day 6, Saturday: 48 ounces coffee, 80 water... But only because I had a lot of catch-up (48 ounces) after dinner. That bottle i filled mid-day? Finished that first bottle of the day at dinner. Not my finest hour. As a result, I am again changing up my bedtime routine:

Lay out clothes for the day, plus workout clothes ( still in the bathroom until I think of a better spot)

Leave the hamper in the kitchen if there's enough in it to warrant running a load.

Lay out my yoga mat right next to it.

And a full 32 ounce bottle of water, on the kitchen table. Beside my family's morning vitamins.

Yesterday I didn't fill the bottle until almost lunch time. Today I've had almost 20 ounces by the time I finished my yoga. I guess yesterday left me thirsty. :)

And headachey. :(

This is what this challenge is intended to help with. I'm sure not everyone has weekly Sunday morning headaches. So it's something about my weekend, and I'm placing my bets on my sketchy weekend hydration.

I ran the yoga video today - picked up a few pointers and corrections for the three poses I've been doing and added a back bend. My intention? Review the video again tonight or tomorrow morning, to gain comfort doing the new pose. Then continue daily without the video until next weekend, when it will be time to add sun salutations.

That might have to be a day or two early, because I'll be out of town that weekend.

I used to get headaches every week before I started going more paleo.  It could also be related to dehydration as you said.  Depending on the hours you work, it could also be a somatoformic disorder as well.  Stress/anxiety of going back to work manifests itself into an actual physical pain.

Keep chugging along :)

Cute. :)

Doing better on the water today. It seems like carrying around a water bottle makes all the difference in the world. I've already hit my daily quota, and it's only 2:30 pm. :)

I used to get headaches every week before I started going more paleo.  It could also be related to dehydration as you said.  Depending on the hours you work, it could also be a somatoformic disorder as well.  Stress/anxiety of going back to work manifests itself into an actual physical pain.

Just thinking about what you posted - if someone did want to go more paleo, what would you suggest to start? I have a horrible diet (cookie and candy addict), eat very few veggies and although I prefer real food to processed, I have some serious constraints:

- have to feed a wife and two kids

- on a budget

- the kids have to actually eat the food

- I have very little time during the week and often miss family dinners

- my wife can't cook much that isn't preprocessing due to physical disability. We try new techniques from time to time, but it causes problems anyway. She can't cook in the oven (burn hazard), but stovetop or microwave is fine. Things have to be prechopped, but I can handle that. It only excludes things that require chopping after cooking. And she can't cook pasta or similar because she can't safely pour out the pot of boiling water. So unfortunately, the kids get a lot of Steam-Fresh vegetables and single serve meals.

.... Any suggestions on where to start would be helpful....

I guess I have started, since I don't drink soda anymore. But there's no clear target for me to attack next.

I'm already starting to think ahead to my next challenge, so if I have a target to shoot for it might find its way into my list. :)

Hey draco, it sounds like you have some real problems with the cooking.  I'd suggest cutting sugar and processed foods first.  And your kids don't have to eat the same thing as you.

Grain-free is a little cheaper and easier in the summer because of seasonal vegetables, but you can experiment with the fall harvest and frozen veg just to get a bead on how you'd react.  (Then again, I don't use nut flours when I try it, and I think that might be one of the things that allow some people to stick with it.)

Pasta does freeze well, and it microwaves well, I just don't recall trying to take home-frozen directly from freezer to microwave.  Taco can be prepared ahead of time, and a grain-free can eat it as a salad.  Sweet potato fries can be chopped up and re-heated with eggs.  Try either cabbage casserole or cabbage soup, just be aware that you might be the only one eating it.  (The casserole would have to be cooled after baking and portioned into single meals.)

What about using the a crockpot?  I'd assume you could throw in a roast and chop the veggies.  It all has to be thrown into the crockpot and left alone until servingtime.  I guess spaghetti squash is right out since after you cut it in half and scrape some of the middle part out- once it's done cooking you need to use a fork to scrap the squash into noodle-like shape/texture.  Hrm....

I would focus on trying to just make smarter paleo choices.  Sadly, it's going to cost a little more in the beginning.  However, I've found that now that my body is used to it- I don't eat as much per portion.  So my body made a shift from quantity--->quality.

Best advice would be to make things ahead of time- so there's no really need to prep anything anyway.  There's a few days left of grilling, so grilling up a big batch of hamburgers or chicken strips is totally doable.  Just put them in containers in the fridge and they can reheat in the toaster.  Done it a million times this summer.  Same kind of idea for making crockpot meals or various salads.  I also made crustless quiches and they stay fine for a week as well.  Maybe something like this:

Menu:

Breakfasts- crustless quiches

Snack- portioned homemade trail mix

Lunch- Chicken Club salad

Dinners

Sunday/Monday- Roast+veggies in the crockpot- chopped and ready ahead of time (lasts 2 days- for me it lasted 3 but there were less people)

Tuesday- Reheated Burgers with homemade cole slaw or spinach salad

Wednesday- Porkchops with sweet potato fries (you can peel and cut them ahead of time the night before- just toss in some olive oil and bake later)

Thursday- Reheated Burgers with homemade cole slaw or spinach salad

Friday- Aidells Apple Chicken Sausage (omg so good) with your choice of steamfresh bag veggy

Saturday- Perhaps a cheat night- depending on how you feel about that.  I know it was something to look forward to because then I didn't feel like 'I have to eat like this the rest of my life and can never have ANYTHING I like boohoohooo'

All of these things are super easy- most can be made ahead of time or mostly prepared in some way.  *cracks knuckles*

For crustless quiche:

1) simply spray a muffin tin pan, and chop whichever veggies you want. (I have done broccoli, red peppers, onions, mushrooms, yellow squash, green squash for veggys. And I've tried chopping up some leftover ham and pepperoni for meats.  You just mix and match any of those, but i'd advise picking 2 things max)

2) put a small pile of your chopped stuff into the muffin tin.  It should look like a tiny pyramid.

3) crack some eggs. Depending on how you want them and the size of your muffin pan, it can be 1-2 eggs per muffin.

3a) Optional- throw some shredded cheese on top.

4) bake at 350 for 20ish minutes.  Start checking on them afterward since egg can burn quickly.

For Chicken Club Salad:

1) cook bacon. lovely.

2) cook chicken strips in the bacon fat.

3) dice a red onion

4) dice up a few regular tomatoes or just cut some cherry/grape tomatoes in half

5) Let the meats cool and then use some scissors to cut stuff- you'll want about 4 strips of bacon per 1 lb of chicken.  You want a litle bit of bacon kick- not an entire bacon salad. 

6) throw the bacon, chicken, tomatoes, and red onion together with a few scoops of mayo- you're preference to how much.

7) let it stay in the fridge to meld the flavors together.  When you want some, if you bring it to work or whatever, just throw a scoop in a container with a handful of spinach or salad, or just throw some carrot sticks in there at the last minute.

For Trail mix:

1) Buy what you want to use in the trail mix (almonds, cashews, raisins, and banana chips work for me.)

2) split them up evenly into little ziploc bags. Just grab a bag every day and you're all set. Fine for the kids too.

Cole Slaw:

you can find tons of recipes online that can work.  I just did a plain one with red cabbage, green cabbage, some mayo, salt and pepper, and some diced rep peppers and garlic powder. There's plenty of variants though so try something.

What have you got for costs for that stuff? Roast, veggys, some eggs, more veggys, jar of nuts, some ground beef for burgers... Most expensive thing would be a big ole roast.  And the Aidells apple chicken sausage is a bit pricey, but so damn good.

You could make that even cheaper if you had a food dehydrator for different fruits in the trailmix, like pineapple, apple slices, banana chips, or maybe try something a little adventurous like papaya.  It might be even cheaper if you make your own mayo.  I just made some- It's AWESOME.

Phew, that's my big write-up.  Hope some of this stuff inspired some ideas.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines