Cavemom's Challenge

cavemom

So last challenge, for me, was all about figuring out what I needed to help my body feel good inside and out.  I haven't got it all figured out, but I took a step in the right direction. 

I wasn't quite ready for the start of this challenge, and wasn't really sure where I wanted my focus to be.  I want to pick goals that are meaningful to me, and that aren't just goals for the sake of giving me something to do.  So, I'm going to focus, over time, on the 8 limbs of yoga.  That will be my main quest, and it should see me through eight challenges, because I'm only going to focus on one each challenge. 

Main Quest: Learn and put into practice in my life the 8 limbs of yoga.

Challenge 1: Yama

1. Each week I will focus on one of the 5 yamas, with the 6th week being a week for reflection.  This may be a little difficult, working this into my life in a meaningful way, but I will do it. 

• Week 1: Ahimsa (non-violence)
  • Week 2: Satya (truthfulness)
  • Week 3: Asteya (nonstealing)
  • Week 4: Bramacharya (to live in higher awareness)
  • Week 5: Aparigraha (absence of greed, non possessiveness)
  • Week 6: Reflection and thinking about how I did, and where I'm at

Grading: I will grade myself on a week to week basis, and then average that out for a final grade.  It will be very arbitrary, I know, but this is my challenge, and I will know whether I've done well on what I set out to do or not.  At the start of each week, I will post specifics of what I'm working on that week.

2. Keep practicing yoga.  I will come to the Asana, or 3rd limb, in later challenges, and will work on more specific things at that time.  So for now, I just need to do it.  It doesn't matter if I'm doing 5 minutes, 1 hour, or more each day, as long as I do it.  I have a yoga retreat later this week, so that will be a good kick-off for me.  I will also work on one specific pose, and that is pigeon pose.  It seems like I'm running into it almost every time I practice yoga (I do videos online).  This one is really tough for me, and I'm going to specifically work on it.  I'll try to take a beginning picture in this pose later.

Grading:

A: 35-42 days of doing yoga

B: 30-35 days

C: 25-30 days

D: 20-25 days

F: less than 20 days

3. (Goal change) Eat 5 servings of vegetables every day.  Starting this from week two.

Grading

A: 30-35 successful days

B: 25-30 days

C: 20-25 days

D: 15-20 days

F: Less than 15

Honestly, the eight limb yoga thing seems a little silly to me right now, but that's kind of why I'm doing it.  I think there is a lot of good to be had with yoga, just beyond doing the "stretching".  I just need to get past my mental block of thinking it's all rather silly.  I am not going to look ahead right now and worry about the later limbs of yoga.  I'm just going to be where I am right now. 

Life goal: Learn the sanskrit names of yoga poses.  There are some videos I do where they just say the sanskrit word for the yoga pose, and I can look over at the video and see what they're doing, but I'd like to be able to just know.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Hi UltanBoyd and Squeege! 

For week one, I'm focusing on Ahimsa, or non-violence. 

Non-harming and love are two different things. It is not a practice whereby you are feeling the drive to harm others and you practice love to stop that. Rather, the first step is to focus on the cessation of the harming at the levels of actions, speech, and thoughts. Then, the natural love can come shining through. This has extremely practical application in daily life. Trying to directly cultivate love for a person you dislike might be extremely difficult, whereas working on letting go of the negative is more direct or immediate. Then, it might come more naturally to like or love that person.

-From http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-23545.htm#2.35

I'm a pretty non-violent person, I would think.  I don't hurt people physically, that's for sure.  I don't even spank my kids. :)  But I think I could really work on my speech and thoughts.  I will focus on not saying any words that hurt or cause harm.  Beyond that, I will focus also on not thinking harmful thoughts.  It is very easy for me, with my family, to speak words of love.  I tell my kids I love them all the time.  But every once in awhile, I lose patience, and say mean things.  This week I will stop that completely.  I will think before I speak, when I feel like I'm losing patience.  I will also cultivate thoughts that are not mean.  This means when I go to my yoga retreat later this week, I will not think bad thoughts about others or judge them.  This will be pass or fail, there is no middle ground.  I'm either committed to this or I'm not.  I will not allow myself to harm others with my words a certain amount of times, and still get a good grade here.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Trying to directly cultivate love for a person you dislike might be extremely difficult, whereas working on letting go of the negative is more direct or immediate.

Oh man, this spoke to me. I have a hard time with only a small group of people (not one group, just I group those people I dislike into a group in my mind), and I definitely feel guilty disliking them so much. I should work on releasing that dislike, rather than searching for a way to like. GENIUS!

I think this (working on the 5 yamas) is the coolest part of your challenge for me. I can't wait to see where it goes!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Good luck on this challenge. 

I think the mental things is so much more difficult than the physical ones.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

And, as for how day one went:

Goal 1: Ahimsa (non-violence) - pass

I think I did well today.  My boys were fighting, as usual, and I kept my calm pretty well.

Goal 2: Practice yoga: +1 day

I didn't do very much.  Just did some sun salutations and worked on pigeon pose a little bit.  I'm planning to do a longer session tomorrow.

Goal 3: Eat less meat: +1 meat free day

Did really good with this today.  I made an avocado, tomato, chickpea salad for dinner tonight, and it was pretty delicious.  Had no problems abstaining from meat today.

Life goal: Learn Sanskrit names for yoga poses, in progress

Today I learned that pigeon pose is called Kapotanasana.  There are longer versions, but that's good enough for me. 

So day one went very well, I think.  So far, so good.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Good morning, Captain! Good to see you back and on track!  I love your yoga and Yama plan - very beautiful and inspiring, nd I can't wait to see what kinds of amazing insights and breakthroughs it leads you to! 

Also, Pigeon pose is rather difficult - although the process of opening up that hip joint can be really amazing, especially in terms of the energy that get locked up in the tissue.  

Also also, HOORAY FOR THE AVOCADO, KING OF TREEFOODS!

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Great challenge goals!

Honestly, the eight limb yoga thing seems a little silly to me right now, but that's kind of why I'm doing it. 

Exploring that resistance can be very revealing! The source can often surprise you. I had much resistance to many of my daily spiritual practices at first, and doing them in spite of the resistance was rewarding. 

Good luck!

Cave Dweller Druid, Level 4

STR: 5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 9 | CON: 10 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 8 Start:1/2/1/3/6/2

This morning was stressful.  My 1st grader is what they call star student this week, so we were supposed to make a poster over the weekend and send it in yesterday (Monday).  He woke me up this morning about 6:15, saying his teacher told him to bring the poster today.  I had completely forgotten about it.  I didn't even have a poster board.  Luckily my husband hadn't left for work yet, and he is awesome, so he ran to the store to get one.  Meanwhile, I told my son to start looking for his little photo album so we could use some of the pictures in it.  He couldn't find it, so I started helping him look.  And his idea of looking, at that point, was watching me look.  I got irritated, and I lost my calm.  I didn't really say anything negative, but I did raise my voice.  That is harmful.  So I failed today. 

Originally I was going to do all or nothing for the week, but I'm realizing I can't expect perfection from myself.  I'm a work in progress.  So the way I will grade it is if I have more passes than fails throughout the week, then I pass.  So far I'm at 1:1.  Not too great, but I can do better.  I realized even as I was raising my voice this morning that I was doing it.  And I stopped.  But I need for my first reaction to be calm, and not angry.  I need to be able to keep patient.  This is difficult at 6:15 in the morning, but no excuses.  I will do good for the rest of the day, and work from here.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

All hail!  For lunch I had leftover avocado salad, with a side of guacamole. 

Excellent goals, and an excellent start to the challenge! The Yama goal is going to be really interesting to follow. The first part of it already fascinates me- can't wait to hear how you assess it. Good luck!

Thanks!  After this morning, I think I'm going to need all the luck I can get. 

Sounds great!  I'm excited to read about your experiences.

Glad we both made it to our second challenge, Fae. :)

Exploring that resistance can be very revealing! The source can often surprise you. I had much resistance to many of my daily spiritual practices at first, and doing them in spite of the resistance was rewarding. 

You know, I think part of it is that I've seen some really weird yoga people.  But see, that's judgmental.  I shouldn't be like that.  Even that is something that I'm working on.  Who am I to decide what's normal?   

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I'm sorry you had such a stressful morning. I feel like parents have so much more to do now than when I was a kid. I remember we wanted homework in third grade and remember the teacher saying they try to save that for 4th grade and we should enjoy it. And we begged for it so she gave us a worksheet we could, "Work on now or take home." It wasn't long before we didn't want homework anymore. Anyway, now my nieces and nephews have homework in kindergarten. And there are always projects and stuff they're bringing home. I do remember show and tell, but it was just "Bring a toy or something you like." Not any prep or anything. And you didn't even HAVE to participate, so if you forgot your show and tell or didn't have anything (or were me and didn't want to talk - haha - I was in the minority!), they didn't make you do it. 

Anyway, I know that kind of stress (not as a parent, just in a general "last minute stress" way). I do stuff like that even with work or over-extending myself with personal stuff. I'm hyper-focused on one "meltdown" and can't deal with anything else. I think you sound like you handled it nicely!

I used to think "follow Mom around while she looks" was the definition of "looking," too. :)

Also, I had a psychology teacher who when someone would use the word normal would say, "Say more. Tell me what you mean by normal." She conditioned me to be like, "OK, define normal" when someone says it, because it's so true! What IS normal!?

I hope the rest of your day is less hectic!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Then you would like this one.

1238201_652101054808406_751326265_n.jpg

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

It depends on the type of tofu you buy.  Silky tofu will jiggly.  Firm or extra-firm is what you're looking for, for that nice cakey, hearty, i can put this in a stir fry and it will not disentegrate quality.  Also takes marinades better!  Also, not sure where you are in the world, but if you can find a mean substitute called "Quorn," it is actually the most amazing thing I have ever eaten.  They have chicken cutlets, ground beef, sausage, etc.  I found it everywhere in England, and then in a couple placed in California...

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Day 2

Goal 1: Ahimsa (non-violence) - fail 

Weekly total: 1 pass, 1 fail

As mentioned previously, did not keep calm with my boys yesterday morning.  I'm getting better though, and am more aware of my actions, even if I'm not completely able to control it all yet.

Goal 2: Practice yoga: +1 day

Total so far: 2

Did a 45 minute yin yoga session yesterday.  I felt really good afterwards; so relaxed and happy.

Goal 3: Eat less meat: +1 meat free day

Total so far: 2

I am not big on tofu, I've learned, and will probably not be using it much in the future.  Husband said he liked it though, which was kind of surprising.  Last night we had something called spaghetti pot.  While I don't think pasta is the healthiest, there was a lot of veggies in it, so that's good.  I'm just following a menu plan from emeals, and trying to pick out the vegetarian meals I think my family will eat.  So already this week I've got my two days in.  This is good, because tonight we are eating meat for dinner, and I'll not have a lot of control over what I eat at the retreat.  They are providing two of the meals, which may very well be vegetarian, and we will be eating at a restaurant for dinners.  But since I've already reached my goal for the week, I don't really have to worry about it.

Life goal: Learn Sanskrit names for yoga poses, in progress

Didn't learn any new words yesterday.  I heard some while doing yoga, but nothing that sank in to where I could say I've learned it.  Still trying to work on remembering Kapotanasana (pigeon pose), since it's what I'm working on.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines