Cavemom's Challenge

cavemom

It depends on the type of tofu you buy.  Silky tofu will jiggly.  Firm or extra-firm is what you're looking for, for that nice cakey, hearty, i can put this in a stir fry and it will not disentegrate quality.  Also takes marinades better!  Also, not sure where you are in the world, but if you can find a mean substitute called "Quorn," it is actually the most amazing thing I have ever eaten.  They have chicken cutlets, ground beef, sausage, etc.  I found it everywhere in England, and then in a couple placed in California...

I did buy extra firm.  On the outside of the block, it was pretty firm feeling, but on the inside it was jiggly.  I baked it, as the recipe said, but it still seemed too jiggly to me.  I don't like the texture.  I've had Quorn before.  It was pretty good.  I think I will be staying away from tofu in the future, and if I need a meat substitute, go for something else.  At the moment, I really have no plans to be vegetarian, but I do want to eat less meat.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I like it, a lot actually, but avoid it as it's a heavily processed/manufactured food. Even though it's veg*n, it's definitely not a natural food!

Yeah, there is that.  Eating a vegetarian diet can be really healthy, but it can also be filled with really crappy foods.  Thanks for reminding me about that.  I don't want to cut back on meat, just to fill the space with processed Frankenfoods.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I think no matter what kind of diet you have, eating foods as close to their natural state as possible is ideal.  I really need to remember that this challenge, and not just focus on not eating meat at the expense of all else.  I mean, yesterday I ate cheese crackers because I was really hungry.  That sucks, and was not my best choice, obviously.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Big fat fail today on goal number one.  I'm really struggling with this.  Today was rough.  I'm hormonal, and not feeling great.  But there's absolutely no excuse to raise my voice and make my kids feel bad.  I think I'll do okay with the rest of the week, seeing as how I'm leaving to go on a yoga retreat.  But I'm really sad that it takes leaving my kids to be able to keep my calm. 

I am not verbally abusive.  It's just that when I get upset, I raise my voice.  Things like telling the kids I'm tired of being their slave and having them be rude to me.  There's no need for me to say those kinds of things, but I guess I'm feeling really worn out.  I'm struggling here.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

.Is there some magic secret that all the vegetarians know about that they learn at the initiation? 

This is so funny.

Sorry about the voice thing. I cannot give any advice, but struggle with it myself.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I went to church, like an actual church (not the Church of Iron) for a friend's "Thanks Giving" think Christening but they believe the child should find Christ themselves before being declared a Christian.

The Pastor's sermon was about raising children. He suggested four stages.

1. Discipline 0-5 

2. Training 6-0

3. Guidance 11-14

4. Coaching 14-18

His arguement being too many people wanted to be friends with their children in the discipline zone and wondered why when they try to introduce discipline at the coaching zone (when they should stand on the sidelines more) that was when there was trouble. That actually as a parent.

I see people all the time which were never told their mother was not their slave and don't know how to tidy up after themselves. I have no answers, I have no kids and nieces and nephews are a poor subtitute for experiance in this situation. However I wouldn't beat yourself up about raising your voice if that's the way to discipline the child for the sake of having the child know right from wrong. Check intention, check the results and remove your crankiness from the situation and there'll be times when shouting at kids is the quite possibly the right move.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Sorry about the voice thing. I cannot give any advice, but struggle with it myself.

Well, at least it's good to know I'm not alone.

Check intention, check the results and remove your crankiness from the situation and there'll be times when shouting at kids is the quite possibly the right move.

This is good advice.  Thank you for your feedback!  I think you're right.  If I could remove my crankiness from the situation, raising my voice wouldn't be so much of an issue.  Unfortunately, the crankiness is what usually causes me to raise my voice.  So I've still got some things to work on for sure.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Day 3

Goal 1: Ahimsa (non-violence) - fail 

Weekly total: 1 pass, 2 fail

I can do this.  I know I can.  The rest of this week will be keeping my thoughts positive, and not thinking negative about others at my yoga retreat. 

Goal 2: Practice yoga: +1 day

Total so far: 3

Did a 20 minute flow for working on pigeon pose.  I think I'm already getting better at it, but it's hard to say.

Goal 3: Eat less meat: ate meat today

Total so far: 2

Since I've reached my goal, I don't have to worry about any more meat free days this week.  So I'm good so far.

Life goal: learn Sanskrit names for yoga poses.  Not doing great.  I need to work on this.

I'm off to my retreat in a few hours, so I won't be checking in for a few days, but I'll report in when I get back.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Sorry to hear about your day! I don't know what to actually say, support-wise. All my my initial reactions don't really work with your Yama... You're going to have to be tough, and teach your kids to respect you and NOT tread on your last nerve, but I guess your goal is not to react out of anger. Anyway...

Can't wait to see how your pigeon pose comes along by the end of the challenge. Have fun this weekend! 

i have 2 stepkids -  love them - if you can figure out the secret to sometimes not losing your cool - please share. it happens.  do you find yourself saying the same phrases? Maybe thinking of a more positive way to say it??? i'm working on that myself. 

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Welcome back, cavemom! glad the retreat went well for you!

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Before I talk about this coming week, I'll just post my progress from last week really quickly.

Day 4:

Goal 1: Ahimsa (non-violence) - pass

Weekly total: 2 pass, 2 fail

Total so far: 4

Don't know how long the practice was, but this was the first night of the yoga retreat, and we did an hour or two.  Didn't look at the time at all.

Total so far: 2 (on track for week one)

Day 5:

Weekly total: 3 pass, 2 fail

Total so far: 5

Did a couple of hours of yoga in the morning, it was nice, but a lot more than I was used to.  Had a migraine on Friday night, so went to bed really early and skipped the night yoga.

Day 6:

Weekly total: 4 pass, 2 fail

Total so far: 6

Did a couple of hours in the morning, and a couple in the evening.  Great practice both times.  The evening one was so relaxing it was almost ridiculous.

Day 7:

Weekly total: 5 pass, 2 fail

My yoga retreat went well, as far as not thinking negative thoughts about others.  There were some people who were very different than me, and I really made an effort to not judge or think they were weird.  Then, when I came home from my retreat, my husband had done laundry.  Very nice of him, except that he washed and dried some of my graphic t-shirts.  I never dry them in the dryer, because they'll shrink.  But instead of getting angry, or saying something unkind, I just thanked him for doing the laundry and said it was really nice of him.  He knew that I air dried my shirts, and just hadn't seen them.  It was a simple mistake, and there would be no reason to get mad at him for it.  So overall, I passed week one, even though there were a couple of hard days in there.

Total so far: 7

Did morning yoga for about an hour or so.  It was a really nice end to the retreat.  I had never done so much yoga at once, but I really enjoyed it.

At first I thought this would be super easy, but it may be harder as the weeks go on, and I have more meatless days I need to do. 

Life goal: Learn sanskrit names for yoga poses.  I really feel like I worked on this during the weekend, because the teacher only used the sanskrit words.  It was a little difficult.  I can't say I remember the names, but I made progress towards learning them by hearing them all weekend.  I think just hearing them over and over while doing my yoga will help me learn them in the long run.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Okay, so on to week two.  But first a picture of our insanely amazing hike:

1234232_10153283567785113_1526930002_n.j

This hike is in Zion National Park, and is called The Narrows.  It is seriously one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my life.  The hike is awesome, especially on a warm day, because most of the hike you're walking through water.  I would love to go back again, and hike further in.  We just didn't have as much time as we would have liked.  Luckily, it's only a few hours from where I live.

So then, week two's yama is satya, or truthfulness.  I thought a long time about this one.  I'm really a pretty honest person, and don't have many occasions where I would even think of lying.  It just doesn't come up in my life.  So doing a "tell the truth" kind of goal for this week would be a bit too easy.  I wouldn't have to do any change in behavior or anything.  Here are some things I've read about this yama, though:

• In the case of truthfulness, one might have the inclination towards dishonesty to varying degrees, so as to get what one wants.
  • In cultivating the opposite, or reminding oneself (2.33, 2.34) that such behaviors, words, or thinking will only bring personal misery and suffering, the ensuing letting go process allows a natural flow of goodness or positive fruits to come.

Exercising care in speaking truth: Truth is concurrence between thought, word and deed. It must be true to fact and at the same time pleasant. If by speaking the truth, another is hurt it ceases to be truth and becomes himsa [harming].

After reading through a few times, and trying and trying to think of how I'm going to incorporate this as a meaningful goal, I think I've come up with something.  Besides being truthful this week in my interactions with other people, I will seek out, at least once a day, someone in my life to actively speak truth to.  I will tell them what they mean to me in my life.  I don't do this enough, and I think this kind of truth speaking will be meaningful and beneficial for me.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Day 8:

Goal 1: satya (truthfulness)  - pass

Weekly total: 1 pass, 0 fail

I sent my mom a long email.  My daughter is living with her right now, and I wanted to let her know how grateful I am for all she's doing.  Even though I miss my daughter and it's very difficult having her gone.

Total so far: 8

Did a beginner practice with my husband.  I can hardly stand beginner ones anymore; I guess I'm past that stage.  But my husband liked it, so it was worth doing.

Total so far: 2

Today was going to be a meat free day, but it didn't turn out that way at dinnertime.  I was good and on track for last week, but now I need to get it in gear for this week.  Although at this point I'm struggling a little bit with why I'm doing this as a goal.  I'm not planning to be a vegetarian, I was at my healthiest when I was paleo (if I'm honest with myself).  So yeah, this is challenging me right now.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

The picture at Zion National Park is great. 

We went hiking there as a part of the honeymoon more than a few years ago. 

Early morning sun on the canyon walls.... 

adventurers At The caves

(This is what it looks like to a gamer.) 

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

The picture at Zion National Park is great. 

We went hiking there as a part of the honeymoon more than a few years ago. 

That's cool!  What made you choose to go there as part of your honeymoon?  I think it's an amazing place, but I'm always a little surprised that people come from all over the world to see it.  We ran into some people from Rome while we were there, and of course, you hear people speaking all different languages.  I just wonder what makes them decide to come to a national park in Utah for their vacation.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines