Cavemom's Challenge

cavemom

That's cool!  What made you choose to go there as part of your honeymoon?  I think it's an amazing place, but I'm always a little surprisead that people come from all over the world to see it.  We ran into some people from Rome while we were there, and of course, you hear people speaking all different languages.  I just wonder what makes them decide to come to a national park in Utah for their vacation.

Because Utah is beautiful!  The area is so unique and I can't wait to come vacation in those National Parks.  

Day 8:

Goal 3: Eat less meat: ate meat today

Total so far: 2

Today was going to be a meat free day, but it didn't turn out that way at dinnertime.  I was good and on track for last week, but now I need to get it in gear for this week.  Although at this point I'm struggling a little bit with why I'm doing this as a goal.  I'm not planning to be a vegetarian, I was at my healthiest when I was paleo (if I'm honest with myself).  So yeah, this is challenging me right now.

Are you trying to stay paleo on your meat free days?  Are you finding it difficult to get your protein in during those meals?

No, I'm not doing paleo at all.  I'm actually considering revising my meat free goal.  I feel like goals should point you towards how you want to be in the future, and since I'm not heading towards vegetarianism at all, I'm not sure why I'm doing it.  I think maybe I made the goal just to have a goal to do, instead of keeping in mind what I want my life to look like in the future.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

No, I'm not doing paleo at all.  I'm actually considering revising my meat free goal.  I feel like goals should point you towards how you want to be in the future, and since I'm not heading towards vegetarianism at all, I'm not sure why I'm doing it.  I think maybe I made the goal just to have a goal to do, instead of keeping in mind what I want my life to look like in the future.

What are you getting from the goal?

Do you get new recipes/ways of dealing with vegetables? Do you get a sense that a meal doesn't need to contain meat to be a meal? Do you appreciate a steak more because of the abstinance? Are you thinking of the ethical implications of eating meat and using this as a time to appraise the husbandry that goes into the meat on your plate?

All of which I think would be good things to be a goal in their own right, as a vehement meat eater. If the goal's not right then change it. If you can hone in to why you thought it might be a good idea in the first place that would be good. If you did just generally make up numbers then forget it. Lesson learned, your life is more important than a 6 week challenge format and if the format needs to change, then change it shall!

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Thank you for your post!  You really got me thinking about it all.  I think one of the main reasons for me to do it as a goal was so that I would be forced to eat more vegetables.  But it might work better to just have a goal where I need to eat more vegetables.  The other reason is that I don't like factory farming, and don't want to contribute to it.  We buy our meat from a local butcher, who gets his meat from local farmers, though.  So I think I'm doing pretty good there.

So what I think I'm going to do is change my goal to have 5 servings of vegetables each day.  The problem with having a goal of avoiding meat is that it doesn't necessarily make me choose to eat more veggies.  I just replace it with other stuff, sometimes junk.  Thank you for your input!

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Day 9:

Goal 1: satya (truthfulness)  - fail

Weekly total: 1 pass, 1 fail

I just plain old forgot to do this today.  I remembered by the time I was going to bed.  I said nice truths to my husband, but I do that every day, so I didn't go out of my way to do anything.  So I can't count it.  I will do better from this week on, cause I can't fail this one!

Goal 2: Practice yoga: +1 day

Total so far: 9

Did a 20 minute beginner practice again.  This was part two of what we did yesterday.  It went okay. 

Goal 3: Eat 5 servings of vegetables: +1 day

Total so far: 1

I had an omelette for breakfast, with a bunch of veggies.  For dinner I had a big, huge salad.  So, even though I hadn't changed my goal yet, and didn't even know this was my goal, I believe I got 5 servings in.

Life goal: Learn sanskrit

I really need to work more on this.  I am learning as I'm doing yoga.  I repeat the words a few times when they say them.  I want to spend some time making a good effort apart from my practice though.  I'm going to see if I can find a good website or something to learn from today.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

That's cool!  What made you choose to go there as part of your honeymoon?  I think it's an amazing place, but I'm always a little surprised that people come from all over the world to see it.  We ran into some people from Rome while we were there, and of course, you hear people speaking all different languages.  I just wonder what makes them decide to come to a national park in Utah for their vacation.

My wife has some rather distant family in the general area.  We stayed at a very old house called "The Winery" in Toquerville, built by an ancestor of hers.

As a non-native Utahn, it seemed to me that we toured all around central-southern Utah.  

My favorite part aside from hiking in the park was attending the festivities and plays at the Shakespeare Festival going on at Southern Utah University in Cedar City.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Day 9:

Weekly total: 1 pass, 1 fail

I just plain old forgot to do this today.  I remembered by the time I was going to bed.  I said nice truths to my husband, but I do that every day, so I didn't go out of my way to do anything.  So I can't count it.  I will do better from this week on, cause I can't fail this one!

Total so far: 9

Did a 20 minute beginner practice again.  This was part two of what we did yesterday.  It went okay. 

Total so far: 1

I had an omelette for breakfast, with a bunch of veggies.  For dinner I had a big, huge salad.  So, even though I hadn't changed my goal yet, and didn't even know this was my goal, I believe I got 5 servings in.

I really need to work more on this.  I am learning as I'm doing yoga.  I repeat the words a few times when they say them.  I want to spend some time making a good effort apart from my practice though.  I'm going to see if I can find a good website or something to learn from today.

Good job with the vegetables.  I don't have a problem with less meat in principle, but I can really get behind the great benefits from lots of various veggies in the diet. One of those things that you only really see after living the lifestyle for a little while. 

Are you working on Sanskrit to be able to keep up with the cool kids in the yoga class?  From the year that I took twice-weekly yoga, I picked up a handful of words, but I have probably forgotten.  My wife's teacher is very good but doesn't use the Sanskrit at all.

Druid lunch

Mindful eating.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I always feel really peaceful while reading your posts... I don't do yoga, but just reading about it makes me calm, and breath slowly... aah. It is a nice change of pace, because a lot of other topics are "Lift everything! Hoo-ah!" (which I totally love!). Yours is a nice dose of serenity. And congratulations on the first week! You did really well.

The yama this week is hard to understand, but I like your translation of it. Also, really like that you reassessed your Veggie goal, and adjusted it to help you accomplish what you really want, rather than just "having a goal to do." Veggies are awesome, junk food is not. Go CaveMom Go! As to your Sanskrit, have you thought about making index cards/flash cards? Then you could flip through to a few times a day, and that would help you remember the names. 

And the picture from your yoga retreat... so beautiful. 

Are you working on Sanskrit to be able to keep up with the cool kids in the yoga class?  From the year that I took twice-weekly yoga, I picked up a handful of words, but I have probably forgotten.  My wife's teacher is very good but doesn't use the Sanskrit at all.

Yes, I'm learning it mostly so that when doing yoga (I mostly do online videos), I can follow along if the teacher only uses the sanskrit word.  And also it's good to learn new things.

The yama this week is hard to understand, but I like your translation of it. Also, really like that you reassessed your Veggie goal, and adjusted it to help you accomplish what you really want, rather than just "having a goal to do." Veggies are awesome, junk food is not. Go CaveMom Go! As to your Sanskrit, have you thought about making index cards/flash cards? Then you could flip through to a few times a day, and that would help you remember the names. 

I hadn't thought about making flash cards, but that's a good idea.  I might look into that.  I remember using that as a way to study in college when I was taking an art history class.  I'd draw a fairly simple picture of whatever the art was, and then write the name of it on the back.  Thanks for the idea to use that with sanskrit!

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

My wife has some rather distant family in the general area.  We stayed at a very old house called "The Winery" in Toquerville, built by an ancestor of hers.

As a non-native Utahn, it seemed to me that we toured all around central-southern Utah.  

My favorite part aside from hiking in the park was attending the festivities and plays at the Shakespeare Festival going on at Southern Utah University in Cedar City.

That's cool.  I remember attending the Shakespeare Festival when I was in 5th or 6th grade.  So I actually don't really remember it, since I have a bad memory, but I remember that I did go, even if I don't remember the details.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Thank you for your post!  You really got me thinking about it all.  I think one of the main reasons for me to do it as a goal was so that I would be forced to eat more vegetables.  But it might work better to just have a goal where I need to eat more vegetables.  The other reason is that I don't like factory farming, and don't want to contribute to it.  We buy our meat from a local butcher, who gets his meat from local farmers, though.  So I think I'm doing pretty good there.

So what I think I'm going to do is change my goal to have 5 servings of vegetables each day.  The problem with having a goal of avoiding meat is that it doesn't necessarily make me choose to eat more veggies.  I just replace it with other stuff, sometimes junk.  Thank you for your input!

That sounds pretty good. I personally think that industrialised tofu/quinoa/etc production and the general dairy trade has just the same ethical implications that eating meat has and I'd just replace meat with cheese so get completely that no meat doesn't mean more veg!

Do you grow any yourself?

No, I don't grow any.  I would like to, but I seriously am horrible at growing anything.  I've got some herb plants in my kitchen, and they're all dying and stuff.  I had a garden at one point, but it didn't go well either.  I would like to get some large planters on my patio, and maybe grow some tomatoes and other things.  Or at least try, and see if I don't kill them.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

You could try carrots and things? They are rather hard to mess up as you put them in the ground and then leave them there for a while, and then you magically have carrots!  Plus home-grown carrots are sweeter than anything I've ever tasted from a store :)

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Hmm I find carrots to actually be a bit niggly to grow. Tomatoes are a good choice. I shall bug you next april about getting some in. :)

You don't need a green thumb to grow plants, you need a routine and an understanding. I think if nerd fitness teaches us anything it's that sometimes people think you magically get something you actually work for. Add to that, plants are a creature of the wild and do what they wilt.

Wilt they do.

You could try carrots and things? They are rather hard to mess up as you put them in the ground and then leave them there for a while, and then you magically have carrots!  Plus home-grown carrots are sweeter than anything I've ever tasted from a store :)

I did try carrots the one time I tried a garden.  They were pretty small and multi-colored.  They worked out okay, I guess.

I have this image of Utah and can't imagine the soil would be very conducive to growing things.  However, I've never been there and my image may be totally whacked.  haha

Some people seem to grow things okay here.  The soil where I live is pretty horrible; it's like clay.  That's why I'm thinking to try in large pots.

Hmm I find carrots to actually be a bit niggly to grow. Tomatoes are a good choice. I shall bug you next april about getting some in. :)

You don't need a green thumb to grow plants, you need a routine and an understanding. I think if nerd fitness teaches us anything it's that sometimes people think you magically get something you actually work for. Add to that, plants are a creature of the wild and do what they wilt.

I might need some bugging next April to get it done.  I thought about doing it this year, and kept putting it off until it's too late.  You're right, a routine and understanding is probably what's needed most, and I never really have had either.  In the past I couldn't be bothered to figure out what was going wrong, or to take some time to figure out how to do it right, I guess.  I need to work on that if I'm going to actually grow anything.

There is nothing better than eating tomatoes you grew yourself.  I have grown them in 5 gallon buckets before (bucket handles make them easier to move if you need to).   Here is a good video about it.

Thanks for the video!  I'll watch it when I get some time.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Progress report:

Day 10:

Goal 1: satya (truthfulness)  - pass

Weekly total: 2 pass, 1 fail

Wrote a message to my daughter today.  I really miss her.  Some days are worse than others.

Total so far: 10

Repeated part 2 of the beginner practice today, because husband wanted to.

Don't remember what I ate, but I know I had 5 servings today.

Day 11:

Weekly total: 2 pass, 2 fail

Holy moly, you'd think this would be easy.  I thought it would be, anyway, but I'm just not getting it done.  I think about it throughout the day, and think that I will do it later, and then I never do.  Next time I think about it, I need to just do it right then.

Goal 2: Practice yoga: 0

Total so far: 10

First day I've missed so far in this challenge.  I didn't like missing, but husband and I got caught up with episodes of Sleepy Hollow and New Girl.  So I guess quality time is good, but I wish I would have gotten the yoga in.

Goal 3: Eat 5 servings of vegetables: 0

5 servings is a lot of vegetables, especially when I hadn't been making it a point to get them in previously.  In the spirit of truthfulness, I believe I only got 4 servings in today.  And I have a hard time knowing exactly how many servings to count for things.  I ate a bowl of sweet potato soup last night, but since I didn't make it myself, I'm not sure exactly how many servings of vegetables were really in it.

I am planning to make the flash cards like Squeege suggested.  I need to get on that.

Day 11 was a complete bust.  Nothing I can do about it now, though, so I need to just move on and do better.  I've already got my yoga and two servings of veggies in for today, so I'm doing better already today.  I've been having difficulties with food lately, though.  Not eating very well, and my digestion is not good.  Also, it makes me very sad, but I don't think I can do my morning cup of coffee anymore.  In the past, I could drink one cup, and I liked the ritual and the taste--any more than that would make me feel yucky.  But now it's gotten to where even a half a cup makes me feel yucky.  :(  I'm going to try to switch over to tea.  I feel stupidly bummed about it all.  It's just coffee, but I'm sad about it. 

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Last post for now . . .

Okay guys, I just did something that was really hard for me.  I said I should speak truth for my goal when I think about it and not put it off.  So I did right now.  I have an older brother that I've barely spoken to for more than 3 years.  We had a bit of a falling out awhile back, and things have been strained.  Prior to that we had a really close relationship.  I just wrote him a short email, saying I loved him and missed him.  It was hard for me to push that send button.  I don't know if it will open up past hurts that he'll want to discuss, that I want to move on from and not dwell over.  I absolutely hate conflict, and I don't want to re-start anything.  I hope I haven't.  But I felt like part of this goal should be doing hard things.  Not just speaking loving truths to the people that I always do.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Last post for now . . .

Okay guys, I just did something that was really hard for me.  I said I should speak truth for my goal when I think about it and not put it off.  So I did right now.  I have an older brother that I've barely spoken to for more than 3 years.  We had a bit of a falling out awhile back, and things have been strained.  Prior to that we had a really close relationship.  I just wrote him a short email, saying I loved him and missed him.  It was hard for me to push that send button.  I don't know if it will open up past hurts that he'll want to discuss, that I want to move on from and not dwell over.  I absolutely hate conflict, and I don't want to re-start anything.  I hope I haven't.  But I felt like part of this goal should be doing hard things.  Not just speaking loving truths to the people that I always do.

Very brave.

resilient wanderer

I don't have a picture that does this any kind of justice.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

The soil where I live is pretty horrible; it's like clay.  That's why I'm thinking to try in large pots.

Have you heard of Square foot gardening

I feel stupidly bummed about it all.  It's just coffee, but I'm sad about it. 

I understand that, coffee will be the last thing that I will let go.

And good luck with your brother. I've got nephews I have never seen.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

As someone who appreciates the morning coffee routine, I'm sad to hear about your stomach issues with it. Switching it with tea will be a little weird at first, but you'll be able to continue the ritual with it. Good luck getting in the veggies! You just made it a goal, so don't get bummed out that you aren't immediately successful. And I hope the flash cards do the trick for you! 

Last post for now . . .

That's tough. Well done doing it though. What I hope is that you reaching out will renew the close relationship that you had before. If he does want to talk, your first Yama will come in handy. 

Amazing job. You should be proud. Hope you have a great weekend. 

Have you heard of Square foot gardening

I have.  That's actually the method I tried before, but even though I put something underneath the soil that I used, grass was growing in all around my plants.  I was prepared to deal with some weeds, but the grass was more difficult for me to manage, with the time that I wanted to put into it.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Hi cavemom,

Wow, well done for sending that message to your brother.  I can imagine it was potentially incredibly hard & emotional writing that.  But you did it!

I hope he responds well, but kudos to you for managing this - after all, who wants to live a life full of regrets for not having tried?

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines