Cavemom's Challenge

cavemom

Also, I had a great idea that I wish I had been doing all along for my yoga.  I look at my index cards where I wrote down the sanskrit, and then I do that yoga pose, and hold it for about a minute, all the while thinking of, or saying to myself, the name of the pose.  It's really been helping me remember the names.  Off the top of my head I can remember virabhadrasana, which is warrior pose; bhujangasana, cobra pose; chaturanga dandasana, four limbed staff pose; and bakasana, crow pose.  That's not a ton, but better than I was remembering before. 

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Squeege, if you do look into reading One Thousand Gifts, I just want to warn you that it is written from a very religious (specifically Christian) perspective.  So if that's not your thing, you probably wouldn't like it.

I'm still keeping up with my gratitude journaling.  Some more things from my list:

• pumpkins on the front porch
  • finding all the Skylanders (my husband and kids are so into this game)
  • friendly guy at Toys R Us
  • Playing with my boys
  • Nice fall weather
  • my kindle so I can read in bed and my husband can sleep
  • time spent with extended family
  • free places to go during fall break

Great list.

Skylanders is one of the few games that all my family can play and enjoy, from my four-year-old boy to the parents.  We haven't got the Giants game yet, and we have a wide but far-from-complete collection.

Also, I had a great idea that I wish I had been doing all along for my yoga.  I look at my index cards where I wrote down the sanskrit, and then I do that yoga pose, and hold it for about a minute, all the while thinking of, or saying to myself, the name of the pose.  It's really been helping me remember the names.  Off the top of my head I can remember virabhadrasana, which is warrior pose; bhujangasana, cobra pose; chaturanga dandasana, four limbed staff pose; and bakasana, crow pose.  That's not a ton, but better than I was remembering before. 

Great idea.  I wish I could hold crow for a minute at a time, thinking, "Bakasana. Bakasana. Isn't this nice! Bakasana."  Mostly it is, "Almost got it. Whoops. Almost got it. Whoops. Ow!"

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I've never read One Thousand gifts, but I've read Ann's blog, she is really focused on gratitude, which is something I need to be.  I will probably have gratitude journaling as part of my next challenge. Great idea for learning the Sanskrit names!  I originally learned Hatha from a Hindu woman, so it wasn't until I started practicing in other places that I learned the English names.  Now it's all jumbled up; yet another piece of Cavemom awesomeness I'm going to use in the future. 

Heck yeah, I got stabbed, wanna see it?

Great list.

Skylanders is one of the few games that all my family can play and enjoy, from my four-year-old boy to the parents.  We haven't got the Giants game yet, and we have a wide but far-from-complete collection.

Great idea.  I wish I could hold crow for a minute at a time, thinking, "Bakasana. Bakasana. Isn't this nice! Bakasana."  Mostly it is, "Almost got it. Whoops. Almost got it. Whoops. Ow!"

A new Skylanders game came out last Sunday, called Swap Force.  Like I said, my husband is quite into it, so he has been collecting all the characters.  We've got every character that has been released up to now, except for one from the Giants series, and a few variants that are no longer in stores.

I can't hold crow pose for a minute.  I wish I could.  I've just recently been able to hold it at all.  It used to be that I'd do quite a few face plants while working on getting it.  But then I found a video that finally helped me get it.  It's one that uses a lot of balance and strength; that takes a lot of work to be able to hold it for any length of time.  I'm only at about 5 seconds at this point.  I can't hold the four limbed staff pose for a minute either.  That's basically the bottom of a push-up, with arms right in close to the body.  I had to go in and out of that one while saying the name in my head.

I've never read One Thousand gifts, but I've read Ann's blog, she is really focused on gratitude, which is something I need to be.  I will probably have gratitude journaling as part of my next challenge. Great idea for learning the Sanskrit names!  I originally learned Hatha from a Hindu woman, so it wasn't until I started practicing in other places that I learned the English names.  Now it's all jumbled up; yet another piece of Cavemom awesomeness I'm going to use in the future. 

I love her blog too, although I haven't been able to consistently read it for awhile.  She's a great writer!

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Great idea! Glad to hear it is working too. That also sounds quite meditative. Just holding the pose, repeating the sanskrit name. Hit two birds with one stone, in a very non-harmful, yogi kind of way. 

I know I've gone missing for a few days.  Kids were all off for fall break, and then my boys were finally back on track at school, and I've been enjoying my quiet, kidless times.  I've been reading a lot, and just trying to be better at cleaning house and stuff.

Last week was fair, challenge wise.

Goal 1: writing in gratitude journal.  I'd say I squeaked by with a pass here.  I didn't write 3 things every day, just wrote as I thought about it.  Some days more than 3, some days less.  I'm going to continue on with this, though.

Goal 2: yoga +5 days

I did better with this, because I realized I didn't need to do a full on yoga workout.  Some days I just did one pose for a bit.

Goal 3: veggies +4 days

Not great here.  I'm just no good at this 5 servings of veggie thing.  I do okay with 2 or 3 a day, which I think is passable normally.  I'll be glad when this challenge is over and I don't have to feel guilty about it all the time. :)

Life goal: learn sanskrit

Still doing okay here.  I remember a few, which is better than the start of the challenge.

This week I've just been getting by.  Not really doing very well on the challenge, even though I feel like I should be pushing and going strong for this last week. 

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I understand how you feel about the feeling guilty part.  That seems to happen to me every challenge. 

It is hard when it seems like a goal becomes a burden rather than an inspiration.

Does your goal feel artificial, rather than fitting in to the bigger picture?

Obould Many Arrows

I'm trying to figure out what I have learned from this challenge, and what to change for next time.

Maybe both of us need to go back to look at our overall mission goals and make sure that the short-term goals are in line with that.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Hey, I think that you're doing great!  I'm really happy you had some time to yourself - just writing in the gratitude journal when it occurs to you, doing one yoga pose for a while, eating vegetables every day PERIOD, that is all awesome!  You are still doing it! There's nothing wrong with having a more mellow week, and I don't think you need to roar on out of this challenge if that makes it less likely that you will actually do it.  Keep on building those habits, changing your life slowly, day by day, choice by choice!

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Hey, I think that you're doing great!  I'm really happy you had some time to yourself - just writing in the gratitude journal when it occurs to you, doing one yoga pose for a while, eating vegetables every day PERIOD, that is all awesome!  You are still doing it! There's nothing wrong with having a more mellow week, and I don't think you need to roar on out of this challenge if that makes it less likely that you will actually do it.  Keep on building those habits, changing your life slowly, day by day, choice by choice!

I don't think Cavemom is alone in needing this.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

I don't think Cavemom is alone in needing this.

I think we all do.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Does your goal feel artificial, rather than fitting in to the bigger picture?

Yes, I think that's probably what the problem is.  I really need to figure out how to make good goals for myself that aren't just for the sake of making goals.  I wonder if I'll ever get things figured out, or if every challenge I'll be realizing I don't really know what the heck I'm doing.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Yes, I think that's probably what the problem is.  I really need to figure out how to make good goals for myself that aren't just for the sake of making goals.  I wonder if I'll ever get things figured out, or if every challenge I'll be realizing I don't really know what the heck I'm doing.

I can sympathize.  I think that these forums would be a good motivation to help my wife who wants to lose the post-baby fat, but she needs to identify real goals of her own first, and that is the tough part.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I wonder if I'll ever get things figured out, or if every challenge I'll be realizing I don't really know what the heck I'm doing.

I think you just described 90% of the worlds population.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Very true.  I realize I'm not alone on this one.  But I'm learning what doesn't work with each new challenge, so eventually I'll have to get it narrowed down to a point where I'll find what does work.  Right?

Strictly speaking, there are a lot more wrong answers than right ones.

But realistically I hope that you are right, since like Jakkals wrote, we are all in the same boat with you.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines