Wayne_Kent_Seago Challenge #4 - Drop that Dorito, Pick up that apple

Wayne_Kent_Seago

This will be my fourth challenge here and I am looking forward to pushing myself. Last time I committed to couch to 5k and I thought it would be awful, and I really enjoyed the challenge of completing the workouts and pushing myself further than I thought I could. I never considered myself a runner (not sure I do now) but I find myself looking forward to the challenge and losing myself in the runs.

For this challenge I will complete the final week of C25K and then move to a 5K to 10K trainer. Because last challenge I barely did any strength training, I will add 2 body weight workouts in each week to keep my strength up. The biggest focus of this challenge will be my diet and specifically my habit of snacking. A review of my Lose It app shows I am adding a lot of unnecessary calories in snacks - and those snacks are almost all sugary or salty (tootsie rolls, chips etc). I am doing pretty well at mealtime eating balanced meals and very few processed food, but at the office I am "ruining" all of that good work by eating crap. We know you can't outrun your fork, so for this challenge I will turn my attention to that part of my diet.

As before my MAIN GOAL is to reduce my LDL cholesterol from 156 to 130 by Dec. 31st - This was my cholesterol number at my last doctor's visit about a year ago. My doctor said he wold give me a chance to see if I could lower it through diet and exercise and if I couldn't I would have to go on medication. I do not want to be on cholesterol medication! This was about a year ago, and a few months after this visit, I discovered nerd fitness and started my work. I have been a little afraid to go back and get my blood re-checked, but this is not the sort of thing that will go away on its own. So during this challenge, I will get it re-tested and schedule a follow up with my doctor!

My side goal is to complete a 5K before Dec. 31st

So for my 4th challenge, my goals are:

1. Compete final week of C25k, and then begin 5K to 10K training through app 3x per week (STA 4)

A = 16 - 18 runs

B = 13 - 15 runs

C = 10 - 12 runs

D = 7 - 9 runs

F = less than 7 runs

2. Do 3 sets of beginner body weight workouts (with progressively adding to reps each session) 2x per week (STR 2)

A = 11 - 12 workouts

B = 9 - 10 workouts

C = 7 - 8 workouts

D = 5 - 6 workouts

F = less than 5 workouts

3. If I snack, replace sweet/salty snacks with fruit or veggie 6x per week (CON 2)

A = 33 - 36 times

B = 29 - 32 times

C = 25 - 28 times

D = 21 - 24 times

F = less than 21 times

4. Schedule and get blood work re-done and schedule and attend follow up with doctor (WIS 2)

A = Did it

F = Didn't do it

I will post my progress in my battle log here. I can't say enough how much this site and this community have helped me achieve the modest gains that I have enjoyed since starting this journey to a new me. So many encouraging people and such great information posted by Steve. Thanks and lets do this!!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

You are on track man! Keep it up! Have you looked up what makes you snack? Is it hunger? Or you go with a coworker? Is it a habit born out of not being in your workplace all day? If you finf the cause you can replace it with a healthy habit like snacking a fruit, drinking water or just walking arounf for 5 minutes.

Good work. Its motivating to see others achieving their goals

You are on track man! Keep it up! Have you looked up what makes you snack? Is it hunger? Or you go with a coworker? Is it a habit born out of not being in your workplace all day? If you finf the cause you can replace it with a healthy habit like snacking a fruit, drinking water or just walking arounf for 5 minutes.

Good work. Its motivating to see others achieving their goals

Thanks. Great point about what makes me snack. It starts with hunger and then I rationalize that because I burned calories working out, I can have a small bag of chips or candy and be ok (or sometimes a bigger bag). It is too hard to burn calories to waste that burn on crap food.

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Great goals!  My LDLs were fine for a normal person, but because I have type 2 diabetes I have to be on pills to try to lower my numbers even more.  I am working to get off those pills little by little each challenge.  My doctor had mentioned before that we can start talking about getting off pills when I get to 250lbs.  I hope to be getting there sooner rather then later ;)  My advice, do whatever you can to not have to get on them in the first place!

I like the goals.  The snack replacing is a bit easier said than done.  When you get a snack, is it something that you pack and bring with you?  Or is it a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing?  Prep (like making a trailmix and portioning into little ziploc bags) can make a big difference.

Great goals!  My LDLs were fine for a normal person, but because I have type 2 diabetes I have to be on pills to try to lower my numbers even more.  I am working to get off those pills little by little each challenge.  My doctor had mentioned before that we can start talking about getting off pills when I get to 250lbs.  I hope to be getting there sooner rather then later ;)  My advice, do whatever you can to not have to get on them in the first place!

Yes, when my doctor said he might have to put me on medicine, it hit my like a ton of bricks - I have to do everything I can to prevent that from happening. The other thing that made getting healthier real for me was my stepbrother had a heart attack on the evening of his 40th birthday. We are not blood related, and his dad has a history of heart issues, but he is younger than I am and (at the time) was in roughly the same physical shape I was in. Those two things snapped me into realization that something had to change for me. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

You could try having a small bag of almonds or some strawberries or something, see if they serve the same purpose. For a week or so. See if it works out.

Great idea. I love almonds! 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I like the goals.  The snack replacing is a bit easier said than done.  When you get a snack, is it something that you pack and bring with you?  Or is it a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing?  Prep (like making a trailmix and portioning into little ziploc bags) can make a big difference.

When I snack, it is usually spur of the moment, grab something we have in the office or something near by. The front door to my office is about 75 feet from the front door of a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

When I snack, it is usually spur of the moment, grab something we have in the office or something near by. The front door to my office is about 75 feet from the front door of a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins.

My heart goes out to you for this sticky situation. As if vending machines aren't bad enough having a DD nearby is killer. It sounds like you are on the right track to knowing what your Achilles heel is and doing what you can to make smarter choices. Keep up the great work!

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

My heart goes out to you for this sticky situation. As if vending machines aren't bad enough having a DD nearby is killer. It sounds like you are on the right track to knowing what your Achilles heel is and doing what you can to make smarter choices. Keep up the great work!

Thank you! Some mornings I get coffee there and I hear all those beautiful, evil little donuts calling out to me. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Yeah, I love a lot of stuff at DD.  There was one stategically placed next door to my college classes.  they knew people would come in droves for thier fix of caffeine and sweets.

And those S.O.B.s STOLE my Iced Chocolate idea.  I would get a hot chocolate and a vanilla bean coolata and pour them together to get an iced chocolate.  This summer, they took that idea damnit!

Yeah, I love a lot of stuff at DD.  There was one stategically placed next door to my college classes.  they knew people would come in droves for thier fix of caffeine and sweets.

And those S.O.B.s STOLE my Iced Chocolate idea.  I would get a hot chocolate and a vanilla bean coolata and pour them together to get an iced chocolate.  This summer, they took that idea damnit!

There was a period of time when I was there every morning. 80% of the time I just got a large iced coffee, no cream or sugar. They would see me come in and get it ready so when I got to the counter they would just hand it to me. The other 20% of the time, it was a donut or bagel. Now I make iced coffee at home to avoid having to go in there. Now it is maybe every other week I go in there for a coffee. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

How was your week? Did you beat DD temptation?

3 days out of 6. *sigh*

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

End of challenge reporting time -

I feel like I did ok on this challenge, not great just ok. I am probably being too hard on myself but those morning when I stayed in bed when I should have been exercising are flooding back in my mind (there aren't too many of them thank goodness, but enough to get me thinking about consistency)

My main epic goal is to reduce my LDL cholesterol from 156 to 130 by Dec. 31. In order to accomplish that goal, I set the following mini-goals for myself in this challenge:

1. Complete the final week of C25k and then start 5k-10K training via app 3x per week (STA 4)

That would be 18 runs over the course of the challenge, and I completed 13 runs. That earns me a B (barely) so I will only take +2.5 in STA

2. Do NF Beginner Bodyweight workout 2x per week (STR 2)

That would be 12 workouts over the course of the challenge, and I completed 9 workouts. Again, just barely a B so I get +1 STR

3. Replace bad snacks with healthy ones 6x per week (CON 2)

That would 36 times over the course of the challenge and I did it 28 times. This is a C, and +1 CON

4. Schedule and get blood work done to retest cholesterol and schedule follow up doctors appointment (WIS 2)

I got my blood work done, scheduled the appointment and was able to have the appointment last week. This gets me an A and +2 WIS

2 B's, a C and an A averages out to a B so my GPA would be a 3.0 - not on the Dean's List, but not on academic probation either

So while I was not perfect, I made a lot of gains during this challenge:

Finished C25K and into 5k-10k training and can regularly complete 5K distance in morning runs

Ran/walked a total of 69.45 miles during challenge

28 days out of 36 I either skipped an unhealthy snack or replaced it with a healthy one

30 out of 42 days in the challenge I stayed under 2,000 net calories for the day

24 out of 42 days in the challenge I did some sort of workout (walk, run, or bww)

In terms of achieving my epic goal, the results of my blood work and doctor's appointment was that I dropped my LDL to 140. Good news, but I have more to do.

For the next challenge, I am going to join the Rangers - I actually like running and strength training together so that seems a good fit for me.

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Nicely done!  LDL dropped, so that is great.  Hopefully, it will drop even more next challenge.  I'm thinking of going back and trying out the C25k program again.  I had done the first 2 weeks in my first challenge, but was thinking I was too heavy to continue on running.

I think with how you did this challenge, the Rangers would be a good fit for you.  :)

Thanks Tateman!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines